Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 126
  1. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    62
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    I was forwarded to Peter Reich who said this particular vintage Swift frame was made from thinner tubing which could lead to the crack I have (and was posted by someone earlier some years ago).
    Thanks jur, that's great news indeed, because I am just about ready to start building my own aluminum-framed Swift. Wouldn't want to think the frame had "issues"... although I suppose this means I am unlikely to get the bike as light as yours

  2. #27
    my nice bike is at home kraftwerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2011 BMC Race Machine / Colnago ct 1 / 80's Rossin / 90's Merlin/ 70's Raleigh 20/ Swift folder, etc.
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jur,
    After distilling much of the information available on the "folding bike forums" over the years I always wondered how it was a Ti-Frame was NOT commercially available as a folding bike. I am curious about your project and where ever you have one built, it will be pricey. I would imagine it could get cheaper to have 5 or 10 built since there are questions of frame jig-set up and bulk-pricing, though I would be a bit skeptical about a Chinese-made quality Ti frame. It would be hard to do 'quality control' from overseas and determine the exact type of titanium tubing which would be used, welds etc. Also as much as I like the Swift design: I would also consider a "Folding Twenty" style ti-frame, preferable made in the USA. ( BTW: The guy slamming Bike Friday's should take a step back and look at who is actually building the brand of frame he has chosen to ride: What is their wage and how good is the quality of frame built by under paid/ under duress worker? Will they replace his frame when it breaks? )
    Anyway, it looks like the project/subject you have raised might be a mute point since the good people at Swift stand by their product. I encourage you to weigh your old frame and compare it to the new one. I would love to know the weight difference of the new Swift and the old Swift. I think you will be surprised.

    Thanks Jur!]
    Always appreciate your information and experience on this forum.
    Last edited by kraftwerk; 01-29-14 at 10:29 AM.

  3. #28
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftwerk View Post
    Jur,
    After distilling much of the information available on the "folding bike forums" over the years I always wondered how it was a Ti-Frame was NOT commercially available as a folding bike. I am curious about your project and where ever you have one built, it will be pricey. I would imagine it could get cheaper to have 5 or 10 built since there are questions of frame jig-set up and bulk-pricing, though I would be a bit skeptical about a Chinese-made quality Ti frame. It would be hard to do 'quality control' from overseas and determine the exact type of titanium tubing which would be used, welds etc. Also as much as I like the Swift design: I would also consider a "Folding Twenty" style ti-frame, preferable made in the USA. ( BTW: The guy slamming Bike Friday's should take a step back and look at who is actually building the brand of frame he has chosen to ride: What is their wage and how good is the quality of frame built by under paid/ under duress worker? Will they replace his frame when it breaks? )
    Anyway, it looks like the project/subject you have raised might be a mute point since the good people at Swift stand by their product. I encourage you to weigh your old frame and compare it to the new one. I would love to know the weight difference of the new Swift and the old Swift. I think you will be surprised.

    Thanks Jur!]
    Always appreciate your information and experience on this forum.
    There are a few Ti commercial folders out there, eg the Hasa F1 is available here for $3.8k. It has some good looking steering part implementations.

    The place I contacted is titanproducts.com. Sight only. I have bought a Ti Brompton seatpost from them before.

    Good call on comparing the old and new frame weight. I expect very little difference, Al is so light, perhaps a few 100g.
    Last edited by jur; 01-29-14 at 12:39 PM.

  4. #29
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftwerk View Post
    ...who is actually building the brand of frame he has chosen to ride: What is their wage and how good is the quality of frame built by under paid/ under duress worker? Will they replace his frame when it breaks?
    Well... Jur is going to find out all about this, going through the warranty process with Swift in order to hopefully get a replacement frame of questionable quality built by under paid / under durress workers.

  5. #30
    my nice bike is at home kraftwerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2011 BMC Race Machine / Colnago ct 1 / 80's Rossin / 90's Merlin/ 70's Raleigh 20/ Swift folder, etc.
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jur,

    Let us know if you go ahead with the ti-Swift I might be interested.

  6. #31
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,990
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    google of " titanproducts.com" . does not come up Titanium, referring to the metal..

    but a Titan company with products


    got the actual Link a non rusting seat post for the Brommy interests Me..



    aluminum over a Carbon fiber tube epoxy bonded , is also an interesting Option

    if it accepts 14 st in the saddle..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 02-07-14 at 02:31 PM.

  7. #32
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Their aliexpress store is

    aliexpress.com/store/705853

    The Brompton post is
    aliexpress.com/store/product/Titanium-Seat-Post-31-8mm-540mm-with-Measurement-Mark/705853_600072660.html

    I am very satisfied with mine.

  8. #33
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,820
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How long did it take for your post to come in? I've been tossing around the idea of getting one of the Ti ones off eBay,but these are much cheaper.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  9. #34
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mistake, it is titanproduct.com without the s.

  10. #35
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dynaryder View Post
    How long did it take for your post to come in? I've been tossing around the idea of getting one of the Ti ones off eBay,but these are much cheaper.
    It took about 10 days. They seem to have some sort of escrow service in place, aliexpress, because from the moment it was delivered, they started to ask me to confirm the delivery, so that titanproduct.com could be paid.

  11. #36
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,990
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Too bad its a zero set back head, the pentaclip off the back, and the saddle shoved back work .

    no setback wont..

    guess I can pester them about a 22.2 top aluminum post, telescope - sleeve arrangement..

  12. #37
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kraftwerk View Post
    Jur,

    Let us know if you go ahead with the ti-Swift I might be interested.
    I think they will be back at work this Monday, they had their new year break. I hope to hear from Anita Zhang on Monday.

  13. #38
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Too bad its a zero set back head, the pentaclip off the back, and the saddle shoved back work .

    no setback wont..

    guess I can pester them about a 22.2 top aluminum post, telescope - sleeve arrangement..
    They have some other seatpost arrangements as well, they seem willing to make custom ones. 10 moq, so perhaps we could get a group buy off the ground because I also am interested in more setback. I just took some pics of mine to show the maximum setback with a Brooks, wait a moment for me to get the pics up.


    Last edited by jur; 02-07-14 at 05:00 PM.

  14. #39
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    I just took some pics of mine to show the maximum setback with a Brooks, wait a moment for me to get the pics up.
    @jur - did you make the clamp on this seatpost? A neat idea -- with the bits well visible. Is it holding the saddle well? No rotation? (re: first photo, half circle clamp)

  15. #40
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a standard current saddle clamp design. I haven't had it move. There is room for improvement on that design - the hole through the post for the rod holding the bolts should be as close to parallel as possible to the seat rails.

    The company still has not gotten back to me regarding the frame quote. Not sure if they are back from New Year or not.

  16. #41
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I received the replacement frame in the mail yesterday. Now to find some time to move all the parts over.

    The new frame is 2.6kg, just the 2 main parts. More than I thought. I will measure the old frame once I have stripped it.

  17. #42
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have got the new Swift all built up and weighed the old frame. Came to a total of 2.0kg, so there is 0.6kg difference between the two. More than I thought. My scales are not that accurate though, it goes in 0.2kg increments.

  18. #43
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Back to the titanium Swift:

    I got a quote from the company to produce a Swift frame in titanium, to US$1200. A matching fork in titanium would be $200. Postage is on top of that.

    It seems an acceptable amount to me. I do not have permission from Peter Reich to go beyond one frame, so if there are any takers to investigate a group buy, I will go through Peter to see how we will work this out. I am not interested in making any money out of this, I have a good job, so cost price only. Any profits from a group buy would go to Peter.

  19. #44
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jur View Post
    Back to the titanium Swift:

    I got a quote from the company to produce a Swift frame in titanium, to US$1200. A matching fork in titanium would be $200. Postage is on top of that.

    It seems an acceptable amount to me. I do not have permission from Peter Reich to go beyond one frame, so if there are any takers to investigate a group buy, I will go through Peter to see how we will work this out. I am not interested in making any money out of this, I have a good job, so cost price only. Any profits from a group buy would go to Peter.
    What kind of timeframe? All paid up front? I am 95% sure I will have to pass on this opportunity, but still 5% curious...

  20. #45
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    What kind of timeframe? All paid up front? I am 95% sure I will have to pass on this opportunity, but still 5% curious...
    At this stage timeframe is undetermined; the next stage, should I go ahead, is for them to produce drawings based on my sketches, and after approval of those drawings, for them to manufacture. I imagine it might take a month or two, if they are not terribly busy. About payment, when I bought a Brompton seatpost from them, it went through escrow - I received the post, OK'ed it, and then they got the money from the holder. So I guess that means upfront, yes, but only once the manufacture is completed, so again after a month or two from now.

  21. #46
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,098
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kind of brakes? And are you still going with an extended tt?

  22. #47
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
    What kind of brakes? And are you still going with an extended tt?
    I only need road brakes with 451 wheels, so I wasn't considering V-brakes but I suppose that can be added. Or perhaps disc?

    I added 25mm to the top tube.

  23. #48
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    Electra 6061 Alloy
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Swift Folder/ Titanium Frame

    I'm going to see Peter Reich in a couple of weeks, so I will mention the Titanium frame idea to him. I might be interested too if it makes sense ...

  24. #49
    my nice bike is at home kraftwerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Brooklyn, NY
    My Bikes
    2011 BMC Race Machine / Colnago ct 1 / 80's Rossin / 90's Merlin/ 70's Raleigh 20/ Swift folder, etc.
    Posts
    656
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jur, That actually sounds like a pretty good deal. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

  25. #50
    jur
    jur is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,151
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by degrelle View Post
    I'm going to see Peter Reich in a couple of weeks, so I will mention the Titanium frame idea to him. I might be interested too if it makes sense ...
    He is fully up to speed with the idea already. I have discussed it with him and obtained permission. His interest was also peaked by the amount I was quoted.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •