Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Are there special brake pads for 20 inch wheels?

    Hi All !!, well, down to adjusting the brake pads on my project and noticing that the curve of the brake pad is not curved enough for the small 20 inch wheels without rubbing the tire or the bottom area below the brake pad surface. I am using KCNC v brakes. Any suggestions? Thanks..

  2. #2
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    38,884
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing "special"

    I have Dura 2 Kool Stop Salmon pad inserts in my Brompton .. (a dual pivot type these days)

    V brakes I'd suggest the short Cross Pads bolt fixed type.

    http://www.koolstop.com/english/rim_pads.html http://www.koolstop.com/english/crosspad.html

    because they're shorter..


    the KS continental is good too , http://www.koolstop.com/english/continental.html
    but the bolt is short so the V brake cup and dome washers wont fit.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 02-14-14 at 12:16 PM.

  3. #3
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you opt for the Koolstop salmon then go with the short ones. I bought the BMX dual compound figuring that surely they'd fit a 20" wheel... nope, not curved enough. I had to modify them.
    http://www.koolstop.com/english/bmx.html
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BassNotBass View Post
    If you opt for the Koolstop salmon then go with the short ones. I bought the BMX dual compound figuring that surely they'd fit a 20" wheel... nope, not curved enough. I had to modify them.
    http://www.koolstop.com/english/bmx.html
    Hi BassNotBass, what kind of wheels were you using these on?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    spoke to koolstop and they also suggested cross pads !

    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Nothing "special"

    I have Dura 2 Kool Stop Salmon pad inserts in my Brompton .. (a dual pivot type these days)

    V brakes I'd suggest the short Cross Pads bolt fixed type.

    http://www.koolstop.com/english/rim_pads.html http://www.koolstop.com/english/crosspad.html

    because they're shorter..


    the KS continental is good too , http://www.koolstop.com/english/continental.html
    but the bolt is short so the V brake cup and dome washers wont fit.

    I spoke to koolstop (very helpful !!) And they also suggested cross pads. They also now have them in anodized gunmetal and red. I had to buy from them but only $24.00 and free shipping!! No one has anodized yet..

  6. #6
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yumseyo View Post
    Hi BassNotBass, what kind of wheels were you using these on?
    Alexisrims DM18 406 as fitted to my Bike Friday.
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was suggested to use the dual compound vs the tripple compound of the Koolstop line to be more gentle to the machined surface of the nice rims we install on our folders. Just FYI. I just fitted some dual compound on my 451 size rims with DA 7900 caliper brakes ! I can't wait to try them out..

  8. #8
    Member Violinfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NanNing GuangXi China
    My Bikes
    Dahon HSL,NB994 16",Battle FSD 14"
    Posts
    39
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm using Tektro P720.12 on my 16" 305 wheel. fits well.
    propic01278904312.jpg
    55mm short pads like Clarks 453CV maybe also OK for small wheels. Clarks CP 453CV Brake Shoes CLK Cross Cart 55mm Adj Angle B O | eBay

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The Big City
    My Bikes
    Brompton M3L
    Posts
    241
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had run into this thread a few days ago when I ordered from Amazon. I ordered the Kool Stop "Mountain" pads. I guess those won't work for V-brakes and 20" wheels?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •