Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-17-14, 02:31 PM   #26
Still Pedaling
Senior Member
 
Still Pedaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Manufacturers rarely sell customer direct.
I thought that might be the case, but I wasn't sure.
Still Pedaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 02:33 PM   #27
Still Pedaling
Senior Member
 
Still Pedaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk1971 View Post
Got the white one because it was in stock and looked better than the other colors at the time I ordered. Then, after my wife took the pretty white one from me, I ordered the black one because... let's face it, everyone has an evil twin. It's best to keep them together.
That's funny. I think that when you both go for a ride, you should dawn the black hat and your wife the white.
Still Pedaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 02:40 PM   #28
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,723
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Bike Friday is an exception, you can order it from the factory and when completed , they ship it to your door.


though they have some dealers , in other countries the dealer sorts out all the applicable VAT,
Customs and import duties .

IDK what margin they offer dealers to have them in shops.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 07:41 PM   #29
keyven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Giant Anthem X1 2009; Brompton M2R 2014; Brompton Ti M6R 2014
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Pedaling View Post
It is a bit nuts if from what you are saying, you are in Singapore. If you are, then why are you ordering from a cycle shop in Portland? I'm sure there are lots of good shops where you are. All that shipping back and forth will take quite a bit of time unless someone is willing to pay quite a bit for shipping. I'm not sure, but can one not order a bike directly from Brompton?
Well, over here it's very expensive, because there's only one Brompton dealer in the entire country. For the exact same specs, I'm looking at US$2,377 here, vs US$1,848 in Portland. That's more than a US$500 difference.

Not to mention Portland offer various grip and seat options and Dynamo hub lighting that isn't offered here. Checking the local forums seems - so far - to show that no one here offers dynamo hubs.

Even adding a top end Shimano dynamo hub I'm still saving about US$250. Of course, that would be eaten up by a further 7% GST charge and US$140 to ship it in.

By far the biggest downside would be the wait - more than 2 months from the day I order.
keyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 07:50 PM   #30
djkashuba 
Senior Member
 
djkashuba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Monte Rio CA
Bikes: Motobecane Le Champion, Raleigh International, Bertin, Raleigh Sports 1968, Raleigh DL-1 1980, Raleigh Competition 1973/74
Posts: 753
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Another shout out to Clever Cycles of Portland. My wife and I bought our Bromptons from them. Shipped to California. Good service. Bikes arrived well packaged and tuned well. Six speeds with Dynos.

-D
djkashuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 08:09 PM   #31
Ed in Toronto
Senior Member
 
Ed in Toronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Toronto, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 418
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyven View Post
Well, over here it's very expensive, because there's only one Brompton dealer in the entire country. For the exact same specs, I'm looking at US$2,377 here, vs US$1,848 in Portland. That's more than a US$500 difference.

Not to mention Portland offer various grip and seat options and Dynamo hub lighting that isn't offered here. Checking the local forums seems - so far - to show that no one here offers dynamo hubs.

Even adding a top end Shimano dynamo hub I'm still saving about US$250. Of course, that would be eaten up by a further 7% GST charge and US$140 to ship it in.

By far the biggest downside would be the wait - more than 2 months from the day I order.
What country are you in?
Ed in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 09:11 PM   #32
keyven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Giant Anthem X1 2009; Brompton M2R 2014; Brompton Ti M6R 2014
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Singapore.

After everything is added up, the Portland Brompton would be exactly the same price as a Singapore Brompton EXCEPT for the additional "Shimano Dynamo Hub, Premium Cyo T Senso Plus front, standlight rear" worth US$253.00.

So basically... a 2+ months wait for a "free" Hub Dynamo + Lights. Otherwise, I'd have to import and have them installed at additional costs, likely US$250-350 more.

Worth the wait?

Last edited by keyven; 02-17-14 at 09:30 PM.
keyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-14, 09:43 PM   #33
keyven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Giant Anthem X1 2009; Brompton M2R 2014; Brompton Ti M6R 2014
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there some secret I'm missing out on? Seems like Brompton wheels come in 28H but almost all Hub Dynamos advertised are either 32H or 36H.

Why is that?

Do the wheels get changed when I order a dynamo hub with the brompton? Or do they have special access to 28H dynamo hubs?
keyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 11:38 AM   #34
psykoocycle
Senior Member
 
psykoocycle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 2009 Brompton S6R-X, 2001 RM Birdy Silver
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted the raw laquer, but had no choice.

My wife actually ordered the bike as and engagement present, she chose the bright orange.

The bike was actually delayed, and we ended up waiting 9 months (the bike shop (curbside) said they ran out of titanium supplies for that year?... not sure whether I can buy that excuse... and that my bike was the last of the titaniums for 2009 though delivered in mid 2010). Brompton ended up giving me an A bag and free carrier block as compensation for the delay.

I think the raw laquer looks AWESOME! But at least I won't get run over on my bright orange brommie...
psykoocycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-14, 11:50 AM   #35
Still Pedaling
Senior Member
 
Still Pedaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykoocycle View Post
I wanted the raw laquer, but had no choice.

My wife actually ordered the bike as and engagement present, she chose the bright orange.

The bike was actually delayed, and we ended up waiting 9 months (the bike shop (curbside) said they ran out of titanium supplies for that year?... not sure whether I can buy that excuse... and that my bike was the last of the titaniums for 2009 though delivered in mid 2010). Brompton ended up giving me an A bag and free carrier block as compensation for the delay.

I think the raw laquer looks AWESOME! But at least I won't get run over on my bright orange brommie...
Your fiancee bought you that bike for an engagement present? All I can say is that you have a wonderful woman there that has proven how much she cares for you. Stand by her my friend.

Yes, I agree that the raw lacquer finish looks awesome. I was tempted by its beauty until I saw my red and white. I don't think you will get run over by your bright orange Brommie either. That's my wife's favorite color. Gotta get it for her one day soon -- well as soon as my wallet fattens up some .
Still Pedaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 09:59 AM   #36
Purpleorchid
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes: Brompton H6L raw lacquer (2012)
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When I was trying to choose my color, I was originally wanting a white one, but Clever Cycles only had some sage green, pink and black ones in stock the weekend we were visiting Portland. I will admit that during the "Build Your Brompton" tools, I went through the rainbow of color combos I would have chosen, but decided that over the years, my color preferences would change, so I landed on a timeless white.

But there in the corner was a raw lacquer one and it looked gorgeous in person. Forget the price premium for a non-color, I needed the raw lacquer! The brazing and non-color of the raw steel just added to the design of the Brompton itself...I had to have it.

Congrats on your new Brompton!
Purpleorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 07:30 PM   #37
keyven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Giant Anthem X1 2009; Brompton M2R 2014; Brompton Ti M6R 2014
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleorchid View Post
When I was trying to choose my color, I was originally wanting a white one, but Clever Cycles only had some sage green, pink and black ones in stock the weekend we were visiting Portland. I will admit that during the "Build Your Brompton" tools, I went through the rainbow of color combos I would have chosen, but decided that over the years, my color preferences would change, so I landed on a timeless white.

But there in the corner was a raw lacquer one and it looked gorgeous in person. Forget the price premium for a non-color, I needed the raw lacquer! The brazing and non-color of the raw steel just added to the design of the Brompton itself...I had to have it.

Congrats on your new Brompton!
Thanks!

Must be just me, but I fail to see the appeal of raw lacquer, especially when the practical side of me tells me it needs more care and attention than normal.

It looks good, but good enough for the extra $$? I just can't see it However, given how many people have swooned over it, I'm sure I'm missing something lol. Or maybe I just have to see it in person o.O
keyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 09:31 PM   #38
blakcloud 
Senior Member
 
blakcloud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Bikes: Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Brompton S/M3L (modified)
Posts: 961
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
One thing I have to give Brompton credit for is the ability to choose the colour/s of your bike. Here are mine and my wife's Bromptons. They look slightly different as they have Brooks saddles and Ergon grips but you can get the idea of colour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brompton 012 [800x600].jpg (99.5 KB, 64 views)
blakcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-14, 10:17 PM   #39
keyven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Giant Anthem X1 2009; Brompton M2R 2014; Brompton Ti M6R 2014
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
One thing I have to give Brompton credit for is the ability to choose the colour/s of your bike. Here are mine and my wife's Bromptons. They look slightly different as they have Brooks saddles and Ergon grips but you can get the idea of colour.
They go beautifully with the backdrop. Love it!
keyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 02:58 PM   #40
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 2,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I got a free used white brompton with a very expensive haircut!
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 03:20 PM   #41
Still Pedaling
Senior Member
 
Still Pedaling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arizona
Bikes: Brompton and Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakcloud View Post
One thing I have to give Brompton credit for is the ability to choose the colour/s of your bike. Here are mine and my wife's Bromptons. They look slightly different as they have Brooks saddles and Ergon grips but you can get the idea of colour.
Beautiful. Just to snub my nose up at the dictates of society, I would ride the pink one. What about you?
Still Pedaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 06:04 PM   #42
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,723
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Reminder : Giro d Italia Winner wears the Pink Jersey , daily GC, or final podium.
fietsbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-14, 06:38 PM   #43
keyven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Giant Anthem X1 2009; Brompton M2R 2014; Brompton Ti M6R 2014
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Pedaling View Post
Beautiful. Just to snub my nose up at the dictates of society, I would ride the pink one. What about you?
I have nothing against pink - my ipod mini used to be a lovely bright pink. However, I can't bring myself to order pink (not full pink - maybe pink/white), simply because I prefer orange or red or white.

My friend was pushing me to get pink, though I think it was so he could laugh at me lol.
keyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 11:05 PM   #44
alienbogey
Senior Member
 
alienbogey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Western Washington, USA
Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail Sport Disc, Brompton M6
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to Clever Cycles completely decided on British Green - then I saw the raw lacquer and that's all I wanted.

Well worth the extra $$, at least to me.
alienbogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-14, 11:49 PM   #45
keyven
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Singapore
Bikes: Giant Anthem X1 2009; Brompton M2R 2014; Brompton Ti M6R 2014
Posts: 1,091
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alienbogey View Post
I went to Clever Cycles completely decided on British Green - then I saw the raw lacquer and that's all I wanted.

Well worth the extra $$, at least to me.
Good choice!
keyven is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:27 PM.