Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 44 of 44
  1. #26
    Senior Member overbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA, US
    My Bikes
    3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winfried View Post
    I browsed through the Rack section, but didn't find a Nashbar rear-rack with adjustable height. Would you have a URL?

    Thanks.
    This is the rear rack I got for my 20" UCC folding bike: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Bicycle...item23295a2595
    $T2eC16Z,!y!FIc6ee7JKBSZl,iEDfw~~60_12.JPG
    Notice that the mounting rod (which is flat with multiple holes) can be screwed to many heights. I used the maximum, which due to the slant, puts the rack high enough and rearward enough that I don't have heel conflict with my panniers. The rack comes disassembled. I had to flex (not actually bend) some of the pieces to get them into position where their bolt holes lined up where I could insert the bolts. It's very sturdy and has a handy spring-loaded arm on top for quickly attaching something like a jacket.

  2. #27
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. A mounting rod with multiple holes is a more flexible solution than the Biologic Traveller rear-rack.

  3. #28
    Senior Member overbyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA, US
    My Bikes
    3 folders, 2 recumbents (1 is electric), 1 recumbent trike, 1 touring, 1 mountain, 1 road bike -- So many bicycles, so little time.
    Posts
    246
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another option is a rack with several mounting plates that have different amounts of offset. Axiom makes a few, such as: http://www.amazon.com/Axiom-Journey-...rds=axiom+rack .
    41UFLQMTtIL._SX466_.jpg
    Another thing to consider: Some panniers have their mounting hooks permanently affixed in one position. Others have a track along which the hooks can be moved and screwed in place. The adjustment may allow you to shift the pannier farther to the rear to alleviate heel strike. Another benefit is that the pannier hook spacing and position can be adjusted to avoid conflict with the vertical supports or to adapt to racks that are not as long as the spacing between the pannier hooks. I have some inexpensive panniers from Nashbar which are the former type (fixed positions) and unfortunately the spacing is such that they hooks won't both fit on a rack that's on my non-folding touring bike. I need to add a makeshift hook between the factory installed hooks so the Nashbar bag can properly hang. But my Garneau panniers have adjustable hooks and fit all of my racks.

  4. #29
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the infos.

  5. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found some useful information about Rhine. Email of the manufacturer is laiyinjinshu@163.com and their official taobao store is this.
    There are two different "birdy like" frames:

    T2UTxBXgdbXXXXXXXX_!!51888014.jpg

    T2f95GXupaXXXXXXXX_!!51888014.jpg

    For now I don't know which is the better one, but they have a official board where I found this nice picture:

    12_29501_fa2ce0c54179f69.jpg

    This looks exactly like I want, just the disc brakes are missing.

  6. #31
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's unclear who makes/sells the Rhine.

    There's also this store in the Philippines, Peerless Folding Bikes.

    http://peerlessbike.blogspot.fr/

  7. #32
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brands like Dahon and Tern are considered foreign brands even though they are manufactured in China/Taiwan. Hence they are priced ridiculously high. Check out Aliexpress and see the difference.

  8. #33
    Senior Member ThorUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Olney Illinois USA
    My Bikes
    to many
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you might try to get in contact with Tern, They had a Social ride during the Taiwan show last week, and just might have some mildly used ones for sale

    cant post an email or link
    otherwise one of the moderators gives me yet another warning
    Having fun selling Terns and Dahons for a living. My personal website is also my business website, same as my profile name, therefore no link given to follow forum rules.

  9. #34
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Visited the Rhine Factory Last week in Shanghai and bought a folding bike. They are definitly the manufacturer of the frames.
    Will post some pictures of my bike in the next days.

  10. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Michigan
    My Bikes
    Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R, Trek 830, Dahon HAT 060, ...
    Posts
    1,419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tian View Post
    Visited the Rhine Factory Last week in Shanghai and bought a folding bike.
    Any info on bike offerings that should be checked out in Shanghai would be appreciated, including locations and how to access them. I was quite unsuccessful a couple of months ago in Shanghai, even with my very low scale Dahon ambition. The dealers from Dahon list that I wanted to check out were already not there, as common in Shanghai where things change quickly, and by then I already lost a full day which was all I could dedicate to the issue.

  11. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_i View Post
    Any info on bike offerings that should be checked out in Shanghai would be appreciated, including locations and how to access them. I was quite unsuccessful a couple of months ago in Shanghai, even with my very low scale Dahon ambition. The dealers from Dahon list that I wanted to check out were already not there, as common in Shanghai where things change quickly, and by then I already lost a full day which was all I could dedicate to the issue.
    Well, it wasnt so easy. My girlfriend is chinese, that helped a lot. The manufacturer gave her a address of a shop in Puxi. They had a lot better folding bikes but just one of the brand I want. After that we decides to visit the factory, which was far outside. You have to take subway 2 to the end (East Xujing), then a bus without number just with chinese signs on it and you have to tell the "ticket person" your destination in chinese of course. Was a 1.5 hours ride to get there. I was the first foreigner who visit the manufactorer, so the boss was very happy, gave me some parts for free and drove us back to the subway with his car...

  12. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Sport & Mu Ex
    Posts
    282
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tian View Post
    Well, it wasnt so easy. My girlfriend is chinese, that helped a lot. The manufacturer gave her a address of a shop in Puxi. They had a lot better folding bikes but just one of the brand I want. After that we decides to visit the factory, which was far outside. You have to take subway 2 to the end (East Xujing), then a bus without number just with chinese signs on it and you have to tell the "ticket person" your destination in chinese of course. Was a 1.5 hours ride to get there. I was the first foreigner who visit the manufactorer, so the boss was very happy, gave me some parts for free and drove us back to the subway with his car...
    Great story! Would appreciate pictures. And a review of the bike of course.

  13. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    2014 Birdy Disc Polished Silver 9sp; 2013 Downtube Nova; 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm interested in the Rhine bike too. Especially the Birdy fold version. However, I can't get that in the United States. I wanted to get a Birdy here but the disc version with tax is $2500. A sub $1000 for a Rhine birdy is ideal. Please let us know how that bike rides and show some pictures!! Thanks.

  14. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this moment I'm not completely happy with the bike:

    First of all the coating isnt so good:

    coating.jpg

    My bike is missing the "chain stretcher":

    chain.jpg

    And I dont know how to fold it correct:

    fold.jpg

    Also this black fixing element isnt in the correct position:

    fix.jpg

    But at least it looks good

    view.jpg

  15. #40
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    New York
    My Bikes
    2014 Birdy Disc Polished Silver 9sp; 2013 Downtube Nova; 2008 Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for sharing the pictures. I wanted to get a Birdy but the price is just too expensive. Rhine seems to be the option. However, no one in the US sells this brand. The only place I can get it is through taobao.com, and as you said, through the manufacture's taobao page 首页-BIRDY鸟车/LAIYIN上海鸟折叠车 整车配件专卖-淘宝网. They can ship it to the US for approximately $200 USD. Do you think shopping directly from the manufacture is safer than purchasing from other dealers?

    This bike is at lease 3 times cheaper than the Birdy. How do you find the suspenion working? I see that you changed the rear suspenion to the birdy type red damper. How does the disc brake works? I'm all curious about how this bike performs. Thanks for all the info.

    Edit: Also, did you compare the fold to the Birdy bike? From the pictures I saw on the Birdy, the front wheel folds in an angle just like yours. Since the Rhine is the copy of Birdy, I think it might not fold as nice as a birdy.
    Last edited by daihung; 03-19-14 at 08:28 AM. Reason: more to add

  16. #41
    Senior Member Winfried's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    665
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihung View Post
    Rhine seems to be the option. However, no one in the US sells this brand. The only place I can get it is through taobao.com, and as you said, through the manufacture's taobao page 首页-BIRDY鸟车/LAIYIN上海鸟折叠车 整车配件专卖-淘宝网. They can ship it to the US for approximately $200 USD.
    Maybe you can find some you trust who's travelling between there and where you live, and bring it back on the plane or ship it surface instead.

  17. #42
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daihung View Post
    Do you think shopping directly from the manufacture is safer than purchasing from other dealers?
    I don't know. I can just tell you that the manufacturer was reliable. I was in the factory, he drove me to a ATM, I gave him the money and the next day at noon the bike was at the destination 500km away because I didn't want to carry it by myself.

    Quote Originally Posted by daihung View Post
    How do you find the suspenion working? I see that you changed the rear suspenion to the birdy type red damper. How does the disc brake works? I'm all curious about how this bike performs. Thanks for all the info.
    Suspension and Disc brakes works ok, but I only made short rides till now.

    Quote Originally Posted by daihung View Post
    Edit: Also, did you compare the fold to the Birdy bike?
    I dont have a original Birdy, so cant compare the bikes. Will maybe find someone who have a real Birdy in the next weeks.

  18. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    My Bikes
    Brompton, Dahon Vitesse D5
    Posts
    1,799
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I prefer the aethetics of the straight tubing over the Birdy hydroformed frames. Somehow the hydroformed frames seem a little too reminiscent of a feminine hair removal device, or suchlike.

  19. #44
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am also interested in this bike. I see they sell only the frame, for 1,800 yuan:

    16寸海娃 V刹版 新款头管 全铝折叠自行车 车架-淘宝网

    which is just above 200 euros.

    Has anybody tried to contact them and purchase the product? (I mean, not going to China, but just buying through the internet).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •