Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Folding Bikes (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/)
-   -   Kryptonite Evo Mini (5 or 7) - good for Bromptons? Or Series 4 Disc? (http://www.bikeforums.net/folding-bikes/936039-kryptonite-evo-mini-5-7-good-bromptons-series-4-disc.html)

keyven 02-27-14 11:27 PM

Kryptonite Evo Mini (5 or 7) - good for Bromptons? Or Series 4 Disc?
 
What I do like is the color matches my orange Brompton pretty well. Although on the expensive side, it looks like it would secure my bike nicely for the few times I have to leave it alone for a couple of minutes.

My problem is whether I should get the 5" (for weight savings) or 7" (for flexibility). There's also a matter of whether I really need them.

Any comments would be helpful. I'm itching to order them!

smallwheeler 02-27-14 11:58 PM

sounds good. just let me know where you''ll be locking the bike.

http://www.jackiereeve.com/wp-conten...008/04/bic.jpg

nerd alert:


keyven 02-28-14 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 16534300)
sounds good. just let me know where you''ll be locking the bike.

http://www.jackiereeve.com/wp-conten...008/04/bic.jpg

nerd alert:


lol I heard they fixed this vulnerability quite a while back.

dynaryder 02-28-14 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keyven (Post 16534255)
My problem is whether I should get the 5" (for weight savings) or 7" (for flexibility). There's also a matter of whether I really need them.

The smaller lock will be easier to carry and will leave less space for prying. The longer lock will fit around more things. Depends really on how well you know where you're going to be locking. FYI,I've got a long shackle Krypto(about 11.5" on the inside) that,with some careful threading and alignment of the wheels,will go through both wheels and the frame when folded,and leaves just enough room to get around a bike rack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by smallwheeler (Post 16534300)
sounds good. just let me know where you''ll be locking the bike.

Yeah,that hasn't been an issue for a long time now. Doesn't work on the current flat key locks,and only worked on certain years of the round keys.

Fishmonger 02-28-14 05:32 PM

I personally use a gun lock. First off, it has a real key. Secondly, the brand on it should warn bike thieves that they don't want to mess with me or my stuff.

thugpipe 02-28-14 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishmonger (Post 16536642)
I personally use a gun lock. First off, it has a real key. Secondly, the brand on it should warn bike thieves that they don't want to mess with me or my stuff.

I love when people make coments like that, are you implying you would take a human life over your stuff? Even a bike stealing scumbag.

What kind of gun lock are you refering to? I have not been overly impressed with gun safety cable locks I have used, all of which use like 1/8" cable they are more to stop a child and at best slow down an adult.

Fishmonger 02-28-14 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thugpipe (Post 16536735)
I love when people make coments like that, are you implying you would take a human life over your stuff? Even a bike stealing scumbag.

What kind of gun lock are you refering to? I have not been overly impressed with gun safety cable locks I have used, all of which use like 1/8" cable they are more to stop a child and at best slow down an adult.

Of course not. I'm not even saying I carry a gun. But I do like to rely on people's fears and prejudices. If they think I'm a gun-waving nut, what are the chances they're going to want to find out for sure? Would you steal a bike from outside of a karate dojo? Think about it.

I'm not talking a cable, just the U-lock that goes through the slide and handle of an unloaded pistol. I have a separate cable.

thugpipe 02-28-14 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishmonger (Post 16537030)
Of course not. I'm not even saying I carry a gun. But I do like to rely on people's fears and prejudices. If they think I'm a gun-waving nut, what are the chances they're going to want to find out for sure? Would you steal a bike from outside of a karate dojo? Think about it.

I'm not talking a cable, just the U-lock that goes through the slide and handle of an unloaded pistol. I have a separate cable.

Oh I think I know what you are talking about but isn't that like a long bail masterlock probably would be quick work with a leverage attack.

I don't know about your town but round here it wouldn't give a theif much pause, they are a ballsey bunch. They might steal a bike handcuffed to Jean Claud Van Dam if he stood still long enough.

fietsbob 02-28-14 11:31 PM

Abus chain lock hangs from my handlebars , with a toe strap to keep it from swinging.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 AM.