Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Downtube nova with sram automatix

    20140305_112957_resized_1.jpg

    Hello everyone, new to this forum and would like to share my nova with a new to me sram automatix. Did a little ride this morning by the San Diego Bay, the weather was perfect. The 2speed worked like a charm but was a pita to convert. Happy riding!!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Coastal GA
    My Bikes
    Fuji Comp 29r, Downtube, Tommi Sea fat bike, Nashbar SS 29r half-fat, Full suspension mini-velo/MTB, Loopwheel M-Velo
    Posts
    61
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What was the main problem converting it? I had thought about picking up one of the SRAM pre-built wheels from Respect Cycles to put on my Downtube VIII, to clean it up a bit...

  3. #3
    Senior Member downtube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Many Downtube Folders :)
    Posts
    613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice!

    Yan

  4. #4
    lowlife bottom feeder BassNotBass's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Lou-evil, Canned-Turkey USA
    Posts
    1,851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you change the weights in the centrifugal clutch to change the speed at which it shifts?
    I plan on living forever... so far so good.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BassNotBass View Post
    Can you change the weights in the centrifugal clutch to change the speed at which it shifts?
    You could, but it's way easier to change the spring tension that keep the flyweights from engaging (or wind new springs - what I did) .. I toyed with the idea of drilling the weights and refilling with solder if I went to far, but that would be fairly time consuming .. if you had a source for a supply of weights, might be fun, but changing spring tension is all that is needed .. all of my Automatic hubs shift at around 13.5/14mph in wheels from 406 to 700c ..

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by P7HVN View Post
    What was the main problem converting it? I had thought about picking up one of the SRAM pre-built wheels from Respect Cycles to put on my Downtube VIII, to clean it up a bit...
    Well the nova has vertical dropout, so i needed a way to tension the chain. Also gonna need to change the BB to get correct alignment (its on the way). What I should've said was it's not plug and play...
    I bent the spring on mine to make it shift at a faster rpm. Stock was at 8mph and after the mod it's at 10.5mph, which is perfect for me.

    Also Yan, I ordered a white Nova for my Girlfriend 2 days ago, any news on when it will be shipped? Thanks

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceMetras View Post
    You could, but it's way easier to change the spring tension that keep the flyweights from engaging (or wind new springs - what I did) .. I toyed with the idea of drilling the weights and refilling with solder if I went to far, but that would be fairly time consuming .. if you had a source for a supply of weights, might be fun, but changing spring tension is all that is needed .. all of my Automatic hubs shift at around 13.5/14mph in wheels from 406 to 700c ..
    I like your idea about winding new springs, What did you use?

  8. #8
    Senior Member downtube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    My Bikes
    Many Downtube Folders :)
    Posts
    613
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by don68 View Post

    Also Yan, I ordered a white Nova for my Girlfriend 2 days ago, any news on when it will be shipped? Thanks
    Shipped yesterday....Thanks!

    Om,
    Yan

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Rafael, California
    Posts
    1,514
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by don68 View Post
    I like your idea about winding new springs, What did you use?
    I was using piano wire .. I'm pretty sure I used #16 ... all this work was done years back.. you vary the number of winds to get in the ball park .. once I wound a few springs, I could plug and play .. you could also use a second 'stock' spring (if you could source it) to modify shift point .. there was someone on here that used a spring from a Bic pen that worked for him at the time, but pen springs are compression springs and not torsion springs as used in the Automatix.. so not sure how his long term results went... on mine, I haven't had to make any further adjustments through the years .

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    11
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I bent the spring, I wasn't sure if I damaged it since it's so small and thin. I'm gonna use your idea and make a few springs for spares. Thanks Bruce

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •