I am shopping for a folding bicycle in Taiwan. I live in Cambodia and Malaysia. Every 4-6 months I visit Canada though in 3 years this will become less frequent. I am not mechanically inclined. I travel frequently by airplane and want to take my bike with me. My riding habit is 5-20 km a day. Usually very flat or a few hills - no steep hills. Every two weeks I tour for 50 km. I am 5'8". My budget is USD1500. I travel in Southeast Asia a lot.
My wish list...
1. SMALL: Can fit in standard airline luggage (preferably, but not essentially, without disassembly)
2. Lightweight: under 12 kilos
3. Dependable: virtually never breaks down
4. Comfortable: I have ridden bikes designed for kids/Asians and they seem like toys in terms of position, I am always pushing myself back half on seat.
3. Can get service and parts in Thailand, Java, Saigon/Hanoi, Penang etc (I don't expect it in Myanmar, upcountry Indonesia, etc)
4. Folds easily and fast (seconds don't matter)
Totally unimportant... Colour, Performance, sexy design, price (quality is remembered long after price is forgotten).
So far I have looked at the standard premium brands: Dahon, Tern, Brompton. I have not seen Bike Friday, Ori, or Moulton. Tomorrow I visit retail bike shops to test ride what they have.
The perfect bike is one that is simple, functional and good value. I think I would like a 3-speed, internal hub, protected chain and versatility of accessories.