Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-14-14, 04:54 PM   #1
MuP8
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Screw fell out of my bike??? Dahon MuP8

I noticed recently that my stem was a little loose and rocks back and forth ever so slightly. When I looked at the stem I noticed what looked like to be a missing screw? The bike is barely 1.5 months old so I have no idea how it could have fallen out. Can anyone who has the bike confirm from the picture below? If so, anyone know the size of the screw and know where I can find it? Thanks

Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike.jpg (25.1 KB, 49 views)

Last edited by MuP8; 04-14-14 at 05:00 PM.
MuP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-14, 09:37 PM   #2
ThorUSA
Senior Member
 
ThorUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Olney Illinois USA
Bikes: to many
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
don't even know .....
is the block adjusted correctly ? there is this 7 or 6 mm screw behind it which you can turn ?
ThorUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 05:45 PM   #3
chillspike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you mean the hole on the left side of the image you posted, I just checked my never ridden Dahon Speed P8 and there is no screw there.
chillspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-14, 11:19 PM   #4
MuP8
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillspike View Post
If you mean the hole on the left side of the image you posted, I just checked my never ridden Dahon Speed P8 and there is no screw there.
Thanks for the help. Im talking about the empty screw right in the middle of the picture(the one facing the viewer), do you have a screw there? I figured out today why my stem was a little wobbly, I needed to tighten the metal clamp(the U-Shaped one with the 2 screws) at the bottom of the stem. For all you other MuP8 owners, watch out and dont tighten it all the way or the stem will no longer fully come up.
MuP8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 04:54 AM   #5
chillspike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuP8 View Post
Thanks for the help. Im talking about the empty screw right in the middle of the picture(the one facing the viewer), do you have a screw there? I figured out today why my stem was a little wobbly, I needed to tighten the metal clamp(the U-Shaped one with the 2 screws) at the bottom of the stem. For all you other MuP8 owners, watch out and dont tighten it all the way or the stem will no longer fully come up.
On my speed p8 I see the same threads where you say in the picture you are missing a screw. Since I haven't really used my bike on the road yet, I'm pretty sure it is supposed to be like that...but maybe other dahon owners can confirm?

Last edited by chillspike; 04-16-14 at 05:04 AM.
chillspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 05:48 AM   #6
fusilierdan
Senior Member
 
fusilierdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Rockland County, NY
Bikes: Giant TCRC2 2007, Dahon MU P8 2012, GT Avalance 2011
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My bike looks just like yours. I don't recall there ever being a screw there. at first I thought it was a hex bolt. I had a loose stem and adjusted those two screws, there needs to be a little play in them as you pointed out.
fusilierdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 09:43 AM   #7
fietsbob 
coprolite
 
fietsbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NW,Oregon Coast
Bikes: 7
Posts: 18,781
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
that is the hinge pin in the center , right? It's a rivet on my ( not a dahon ) folding bike, not a bolt.
fietsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 11:03 AM   #8
jur
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,806
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
The hinge pin is threaded to aid in installation or extraction. There is no screw that fell out.

That hinge and latch is easily the worst POS ever "designed" by Dahon. Dahon have innovated many excellent things down the years but this is not one of those. A large number of things can and do go wrong on them, all of which result in a wobbly stem riser, and if you ride like that, possibly a broken off stem at the hinge pin.

My best advice is to study the mechanism in as much detail as possible, to understand exactly how and why each piece works, and keep it adjusted in perfect condition. A good place to start is to find a spare hinge kit's instructions.
jur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-14, 04:25 PM   #9
chillspike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Bikes:
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jur View Post
The hinge pin is threaded to aid in installation or extraction. There is no screw that fell out.

That hinge and latch is easily the worst POS ever "designed" by Dahon. Dahon have innovated many excellent things down the years but this is not one of those. A large number of things can and do go wrong on them, all of which result in a wobbly stem riser, and if you ride like that, possibly a broken off stem at the hinge pin.

My best advice is to study the mechanism in as much detail as possible, to understand exactly how and why each piece works, and keep it adjusted in perfect condition. A good place to start is to find a spare hinge kit's instructions.
I have heard Tern builds better handlebar stems-- their Physis 3D exactly. Do you think it is possible to replace a Dahon folding stem with a Tern? They are basically cousins, right?

Last edited by chillspike; 04-16-14 at 04:30 PM.
chillspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:51 AM.