Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Aber Hallo or Litepro Stem Extender?

    I'm considering one of these two for my Dahon Mu Uno:

    Aber Hallo: £30.49 delivered within UK (UK stock)
    bicyclerepair.co.uk: Parts and Accessories:

    Pro's:
    + Most likely has better build quality & sturdiness but can't be absolutely sure from pics
    + Degree markings give a quick & useful reference point if using multiple configurations which I probably will be using
    + Will get this within few days. Cheaper LitePro could apparently take almost a month to get to me! Unless I'm willing to pay more for it (e.g. £25.33 via ebay)
    + Aber gives me 50mm extension. Can't find figure re: Litepro but unit is 75mm length with 25.4mm diameter clamps. I reckon it would give me approx 32mm reach.

    Vs

    LitePro Adjustable Double Stem: £19.80 delivered to UK (China stock)
    LitePro Bicycle Adjustable Double Stem For Dahon Folding Bike Light Weight Stem | eBay

    Pro's
    + Half the weight (95g Vs 199g)
    + Cheaper
    + Looks much better (I'm considering silver or black)

    Pls share your thoughts. Especially if you've seen/used both in the flesh :-)

  2. #2
    cpg
    cpg is offline
    Senior Member cpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Nottingham
    My Bikes
    Mezzo I4, Whyte PRST-1, Trek 1200, Dahon Jack, Bickerton
    Posts
    315
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Zoom one although mine is the Satori adjustable stem. Use in on the Mezzo to give more reach whil still maintaining a compact fold. Works well, no issues. Dealetreame do something similar - Folding Bike Modification - Aviation Aluminum Double Stem Kit (Silver) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    Mezzo I4 (converted to dual drive), Whyte PRST-1, Trek 1200, Dahon Jack, Bickerton (work in progress)

  3. #3
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,982
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It to my mind is more about Fit .. the length is putting the bars nearer or further off .


    I have a 4.5 cm stem on my Bike Friday with Trekking Bars in it. 56 top tube on the frame...


    You (USA side of the Pond) can buy the Abehollo from Thor , he posts here so you can ask him directly.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 05-15-14 at 09:15 AM.

  4. #4
    Member Violinfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NanNing GuangXi China
    My Bikes
    Dahon HSL,NB994 16",Battle FSD 14"
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSingh View Post
    I'm considering one of these two for my Dahon Mu Uno:

    Aber Hallo: £30.49 delivered within UK (UK stock)
    bicyclerepair.co.uk: Parts and Accessories:

    Pro's:
    + Most likely has better build quality & sturdiness but can't be absolutely sure from pics
    + Degree markings give a quick & useful reference point if using multiple configurations which I probably will be using
    + Will get this within few days. Cheaper LitePro could apparently take almost a month to get to me! Unless I'm willing to pay more for it (e.g. £25.33 via ebay)
    + Aber gives me 50mm extension. Can't find figure re: Litepro but unit is 75mm length with 25.4mm diameter clamps. I reckon it would give me approx 32mm reach.

    Vs

    LitePro Adjustable Double Stem: £19.80 delivered to UK (China stock)
    LitePro Bicycle Adjustable Double Stem For Dahon Folding Bike Light Weight Stem | eBay

    Pro's
    + Half the weight (95g Vs 199g)
    + Cheaper
    + Looks much better (I'm considering silver or black)

    Pls share your thoughts. Especially if you've seen/used both in the flesh :-)
    If your use the double stem,you'd better mount it on a T shape handle post.like this.
    161342k38bk7pzk38k8z8e.jpg
    for it's firm enough.
    if you mount it on a quick release handle post.the quick release might be cracked by the double stem under heavy load. like this
    15_24620_bb7baa97c836fbb.jpg15_24620_06fc77b9e22c372.jpg
    there are many of the same tragedy cases....

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cpg View Post
    I have the Zoom one although mine is the Satori adjustable stem. Use in on the Mezzo to give more reach whil still maintaining a compact fold. Works well, no issues. Dealetreame do something similar - Folding Bike Modification - Aviation Aluminum Double Stem Kit (Silver) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
    thanks CPG - will keep that in mind.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    It to my mind is more about Fit .. the length is putting the bars nearer or further off .


    I have a 4.5 cm stem on my Bike Friday with Trekking Bars in it. 56 top tube on the frame...


    You (USA side of the Pond) can buy the Abehollo from Thor , he posts here so you can ask him directly.
    I want them as further away as pretty much possible lol. I'm a very wiry, lanky tallish man. Looks like even the aber hallo won't give me the further away positioning I want. Might have to go the second stem route. I'm UK-based.

    Thanks for for the advice.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Violinfish View Post
    If your use the double stem,you'd better mount it on a T shape handle post.like this.
    161342k38bk7pzk38k8z8e.jpg
    for it's firm enough.
    if you mount it on a quick release handle post.the quick release might be cracked by the double stem under heavy load. like this
    15_24620_bb7baa97c836fbb.jpg15_24620_06fc77b9e22c372.jpg
    there are many of the same tragedy cases....
    whoa! That looks nasty. Anything I'm going to do I will run by you guys in this sub-forum first.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    image.jpg

    This guy has got an interesting setup. I guess he's installed a completely different handlebar stem to that found on the stock Mu Uno.


    Thoughts?

  9. #9
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,982
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    want them as further away as pretty much possible
    I suspect None of the above then .. Know any fabricators to weld something together?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    [COLOR=#000000]

    I suspect None of the above then .. Know any fabricators to weld something together?
    That last pic I posted seems to be an ideal setup for me...except for the fact that I guess that guy basically can't fold his bike up properly due to that stem extension. Or am I wrong?
    Last edited by MrSingh; 05-15-14 at 12:56 PM.

  11. #11
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,982
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For details contact that guy..

    I dont own any da Hon type bikes , My Bike Friday is not as short a main frame as I suspect yours is. )

    the top end is obviously a 1.125" tube because a conventional ahead/threadless stem is used.
    Last edited by fietsbob; 05-16-14 at 09:13 AM.

  12. #12
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like you need a dahon androes stem extender. I have one spare but I am not letting it go as they are rare. I suggest you do a search on ebay world wide. I paided about 55 pounds for mine. Has tbe advantage of being quick release. You need about 9 cms flat section on the bars 25.4 mm
    Extends reach by around 9 cm

    Another possibility is fitting a qr to a adjustable ahead stem which go up to 130 or more.
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
    Sounds like you need a dahon androes stem extender. I have one spare but I am not letting it go as they are rare. I suggest you do a search on ebay world wide. I paided about 55 pounds for mine. Has tbe advantage of being quick release. You need about 9 cms flat section on the bars 25.4 mm
    Extends reach by around 9 cm

    Another possibility is fitting a qr to a adjustable ahead stem which go up to 130 or more.
    Thanks for showing me that part. Found this video:



    So basically that does same job as aber hallo except extends reach almost twice as much and instead of using an Allen key by releasing the QR you can not only adjust the tilt of the the actual extender but can also rotate the handlebars. Very nice.

    Downside seems to be that my Mu Uno stem would also need to be replaced. Seems that trying to work the Andros off my current QR- topped stem could be hazardous. See:

    DAHON ANDROS stem (at the bottom)

    Having looked at pics of the aber hallo in action here:

    Aber Hallo Stem

    ..it seems the QR lever kind of gets in the way. I imagine the LitePro and other variants would suffer the same way.

    My aim is to use the extra reach not only to lower the handlebars slightly but also to move them away from me laterally. Pics on Thor's site seem to show that you can't extend outwards very much at all with the aber hallo if you decide to also lower i.e. by placing the aber hallo underneath the tip of the QR lever. Here's a pic:

    image.jpg

    Anyone know of any alternative parts that could help me achieve this kind of reach (9ish cm) preferably with my existing stem & preferably cheaper.

    Thanks,

    Atma.

  14. #14
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find" little pixels" thread on turning the hallo in to qr.
    Some people go for a quick release clamp others a qr mod to either section of the stem extender. There is a cheaper alternative to the dahon stem that is non qr. I think it has simular reach. Cqp afair dirwcted me to this on thw upgrading a mezzo thread.
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
    Find" little pixels" thread on turning the hallo in to qr.
    Some people go for a quick release clamp others a qr mod to either section of the stem extender. There is a cheaper alternative to the dahon stem that is non qr. I think it has simular reach. Cqp afair dirwcted me to this on thw upgrading a mezzo thread.
    Thanks buddy! Will look into all that.

  16. #16
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is an extremely important point of order:
    as violinfish pointed out, you should probably only consider doing this modification on a welded "T" type stem.

    if you are using a quick release stem, you should probably not attach a stem extender to it.
    you may also consider being outraged that your "premium quality" bicycle has parts made from crushed coke cans and factory floor sweepings.
    look at the quality of that aluminum:
    hmm. maybe it's a counterfeit part?



    i did a cursory search and came up with several different extenders in addition to the gub, litepro, and dahon andros (the ugliest stem extender ever.):

    bike master:



    Top Alloy Technology T.A.T. (i love these names )



    Overflying Top Attack™© O.T.A: (unironically, you may actually need to consult O.T.A. after using this product.)



    satori: (hopefully, you will have a satori moment when you realize the only reason you bought this was because it was the cheapest available.)



    parasol tree™ (this is my favorite name for any product i've seen lately. i imagine the boss giving a pep talk to his employees: "we shall dominate the market with our products just like a destructive invasive plant species!")




    although this extender by Ridea™ looks like a prop from a terminator movie, form follows function to a large degree. each of those borings is a bolt position. pretty awesome:

    i'm thinking of designing my own, but instead of machining it out of recycled deli wrap, i'll give papier-mâché a try.

    but, the most important thing is the brand name (obviously).

    how about:

    Gloriously Inventive Technologies™© or, G.I.T.

    cheers...

  17. #17
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know dahon recomens the t stem for the andros. I thought this was due to the clamping area. I dont see why a person would use a qr stem and a qr stem extender. I don't know about the mu stem as standard.

    Small Wheeler are you saying the santori ia an unsafe product?
    Its a doulbe stem so even if one brakes you should be fine, surely?
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  18. #18
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
    Small Wheeler are you saying the santori ia an unsafe product?
    Its a doulbe stem so even if one brakes you should be fine, surely?
    no, bro. in fact i dont think any of those extenders will fail. it's what it's connected to that is important. the bike's stem is the weak point. i was just commenting on the funny names and pointing out that the satori stem seems to be the least expensive option. i remember seeing that on a brompton and thought it actually looked pretty good.

    like this one:



    but, consider that the brompton stem is brazed steel and quite beefy.

  19. #19
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,689
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    [COLOR=#000000]

    I suspect None of the above then .. Know any fabricators to weld something together?
    you mean like this?


  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice!

  21. #21
    Member Violinfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    NanNing GuangXi China
    My Bikes
    Dahon HSL,NB994 16",Battle FSD 14"
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I want to extend the reach that a regular DAHON 12-degree-incline folding stem could provide, I prefer to replace it by a 17-degree-incline stem. which was used on 2005 DAHON PRO KC095.

    compared with regular stem,the 05 PRO's stem can put the handle bar more forward,as shown below:

    the advantages of it are obvious:
    1,much simpler.
    2,much lighter.
    3,much stronger.
    disadvantages are obvious too:
    1,expensive and rare,hard to get.
    2,it folds to the right side of the bike, not the left side as a regular folding stem. so your bike seems to be not so compact after being folded.
    Last edited by Violinfish; 05-18-14 at 03:47 AM. Reason: spelling error

  22. #22
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,982
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or make it with a bend in the mast,

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    My Bikes
    Dahon Mu Uno '14 - Black / Giant Boulder '06
    Posts
    88
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Or make it with a bend in the mast,
    What do you mean?

  24. #24
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    39,982
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never owned a Dahon. so there may be no alternatives.. Thor sells them he would be a better authority..


    Just Brompton has a few different masts for their various bars and there, the mast tube is bent a few degrees forward .


    I have a Bike Friday too .. tube bending is part of the builder's options .. loop stays Etc. and when Alan was making Tandem frames
    with/for Burly .. there a top tube bent down to a mono-stay , and the seat tube pierced it for both F&R seat tubes..

  25. #25
    Senior Member ThorUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Olney Illinois USA
    My Bikes
    to many
    Posts
    223
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best is an Tern Andros Stem with a T handlebarstem .... not the cheapest option but nicely adjustable
    Having fun selling Terns and Dahons for a living. My personal website is also my business website, same as my profile name, therefore no link given to follow forum rules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •