Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49
  1. #26
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ThorUSA write: "longer seatpost ( as long as it is 33.9 mm ) are available
    Aber Hallos Stem extender are available ."


    Thank you for your suggestions.


    Today at an independent Brompton shop in Thailand the proprietor and I discussed seat posts, er at length. He has an extended Brompton steel seat post in stock (Flamingo one is aluminum. He commented to staff, extending mine - 'feel this, it's thick eh?')


    The Brompton one is only about 6 cm longer as I recall. I learned that the design is not identical to Flamingo and it would work only if I had the bent lip cut off. Plus he said something that I find hard to understand the purpose of and even believe - that it is inserted up rather than down. And the end that would have a saddle attached looks entirely different than the Flamingo - the diameter narrows. Huh?


    Titanium version by third party manufacturer in Thailand BROMPIFICATION is available. But over USD200 just for a seat post? Strikes me as fetishistic, like I am part of cult of luxury sportsman. Nope - just want a bike that runs. He didn't solicit me to buy it, I inquired.


    From the two bike shops I have seen so far, Thailand strikes me as much more sophisticated than Malaysia. Surprises me.

  2. #27
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phoebeisis wrote: "They-airlines-must be clipping you a decent $$ to haul it 10,000 miles"


    Trans-Pacifac I don't know, but Hanoi to Bangkok on Qatar was a breeze. Bike well-packed and two bike bags (Flamingo front plus Rackpack rear) totalled 23+ kilos of 30 kilo limit. Asked at check-in "what is inside?" I steeled myself and told him the truth. Instead of charging me a surcharge he added three 'fragile' stickers. apologized that he had no 'this side up ' ones and called over a luggage handler to hand-carry my bicycle to wherever passenger luggage goes.

  3. #28
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Invisiblehand wrote: "Why is it the case that you can only fly with a Brompton like bike? How small do you need it for air travel?"

    1. Fits within maximum airline luggage dimensions without disassembly
    2. Under 16 kilos all packed up so luggage allowance has room for my other stuff

  4. #29
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    Thinking a bit more about it, do you have a regular bike that fits well? How does the fit compare to the Flamingo?
    In a flat city in 2000 I rode a non- folding bike no problem.

    In another flat city during periodic visits from 2011 to 2014 no problem, even though not perfect fit on this Japanese 20" wheel bike

    Both biking daily

    Problem arose only with folding bike in hilly places. But I have gained weight gradually (174 cm, 79 kilos) and am a semi-geezer of 58. I have stopped swimming for one year. The knee problem actually first manifested during swimming. I use only frog abrupt kicking motion.

  5. #30
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,711
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    ...Thailand strikes me as much more sophisticated than Malaysia. Surprises me.
    surprised?

    april 10:

    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    ... my advice would be to continue shopping and learning, but hold off on purchasing a bike until you reach the "land of smile". you will be able to find examples of every bike on the planet in bangkok.
    may 5:

    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    ...you were warned not to buy this bike. in one of the 15 different threads you created about this topic, i personally recall encouraging you to wait until you got to thailand where there are 100s of friendly bike shops with zillions of different bikes. you came to this forum seeking advice and you received it form various points of view. ultimately, you made a choice. now, you can either live with it or get rid of it. another piece of free advice: if you don't want it, get rid of it before it depreciates any further. chalk it up to experience and move on.

  6. #31
    Senior Member bhkyte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    York UK
    My Bikes
    2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
    Posts
    2,235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swimming breast stroke legs ( frog leg? ) is not good for the knees. You need to warm up well before swimming breast stroke. Ie crawl or back stroke first ideally.
    Doctors and gps frequently used to recommend swimming for knee rehabilation with out mentioning this.
    If you have problem with the knee the best exercise is usually knee extensions in sitting. Cycling is also excellent given wearing loose cleats so that it not all pushing, seat height is correct, and gearing is low enough.

    A Lot of knee problems come from hips that are losing the medial rotation movement. This is the first movement that is typically lost in the hip joint and tibia torsial often is the bodies way of tring to address the malalingement of the femur. (ie toes pointing outwards slightly rather than forward)
    Ie consider your hip joint when looking to address knee problems.
    Last edited by bhkyte; 06-07-14 at 02:57 PM.
    Dual drive Mezzo (GOLD), Dual Drive Mezzo with bullbars (black), White Brompton thingy with Dahon Androes stem and bull bars. Birdie (old sytle) 7 speed. Downtube NS8. Birdie red.

  7. #32
    PatronSaintOfDiscBrakes dynaryder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    dropped and lost in Washington DC
    Posts
    5,906
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    Plus he said something that I find hard to understand the purpose of and even believe - that it is inserted up rather than down. And the end that would have a saddle attached looks entirely different than the Flamingo - the diameter narrows. Huh?
    pentaclipmount_1.jpg
    pentaclipmount_2.jpg

    The top of the seattube necks down so that it gives you an extra bit of adjustment. Lots of older bikes have seatposts like this. Brompton seatposts flair at the bottom and must be inserted up through the frame so that they don't come out when you lift up on the post. Not sure if they intended this to keep you from accidentally pulling the post out,or as a security measure for when you lock the bike up(FYI,I regularly see 2-3 Bromptons locked up around town in DC).


    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    Titanium version by third party manufacturer in Thailand BROMPIFICATION is available. But over USD200 just for a seat post? Strikes me as fetishistic, like I am part of cult of luxury sportsman.
    Ti is expensive. It's also really strong,immune to corrosion,and good at dampening vibes. Brompton used to make them,now they use alloy. I've seen original Brompton Ti posts sell on eBay for $300-400.

    C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport/Qualifier,Brompton S6L,Dahon Speed Pro TT

  8. #33
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Smallwheeler, yes I am surprised. I thought that the standard of living in Malaysia, wages, and price of real estate prices was higher than Thailand. Also more westernized and multicultural than Thailand. But perhaps I am mistaken. For some things (e.g. medical care) it is considerably cheaper in KL than BKK (or at least it was 3 years ago when I compared MRIs). Again, maybe Thailand has reduced its tariffs but it used to be that buying imported goods (e.g. computers 10 years ago) was prohibitively expensive. That's changed so why not the bicycle market? I do know that three years later I noticed considerable increase in grocery prices in Malaysia.

    Also, Malaysia perhaps has a bigger middle class but Thailand a larger upper middle class? I see more income disparity in Thailand than Malaysia. Could be illusory. Another possible difference is that Bangkok is richer than upcountry whereas the contrast betwern kompung and KL is less. I really am just guessing based on casusl observations.

    What I can say for sure is that you ARE CORRECT - the level of sophistication and variety in biking is high in Bangkok. It was more of an effort in KL. In one area Malaysia and Thailand are similar though - the best is IMPORTED, from Taiwan, Germany, USA. Some accessories (e.g. bags) are available that are made in Thailand (e.g. Vincenta, Hazel) but most everything is foreign = made at higher labour costs, shipping, duty, i.e. $$$$.

    The question now is how much cheaper and better selection is bike stuff in Taiwan vs. Thailand, also Japan vs. Thailand. I will be passing through East Asia enroute to Canada for two nights.

    I can speak with precision on only one matter: prices are lower in Thailand than Singapore. Cat Eye bell here THB109 ($3+), Singapore $9.
    Last edited by Hermespan; 06-07-14 at 09:36 PM.

  9. #34
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,711
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    Smallwheeler, yes I am surprised...What I can say for sure is that you ARE CORRECT - the level of sophistication and variety in biking is high in Bangkok.
    well, i have researched the topic extensively.

    maybe you can check these joints out while you're there:

    https://www.facebook.com/minivelofoldingbike

    these guys sell used bikes (purchased from ebay):

    https://www.facebook.com/ClubfitAndFixed

    there are a few thailand based members on the forum who may, if they are feeling particularly generous and also gluttons for punishment, offer you some assistance.

  10. #35
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Photos Flamingo seat post and seat attacher

    Facts based on casual measurement by a half-blind ignoramus with a seamstress's measuring tape...

    a. Seat post length (not counting attachment piece at top) = 47.5 cm (short of 18 3/4)
    b. diameter as enscribed on post 031.8
    c. distance from bottom to safety marker, as in 'don't extend beyond here = 17.8 cm, measured to middle of marker.

    Third party garbled opinion: Khun Krit (Mr. Krit) at One Fine Day in the suburbs of Bangkok believes that an inch even two beyond won't kill me. But he did say something I didn't understand completely and might gave gotten backwards. Aluminum posts have the disadvantage of if you have and accident and they are damaged (e.g. cracked) they can't be repaired and have to be replaced. So there is no perfect seat post material (cheap, flexible, strong, resistent to corosion etc)

    I welcome answers and opinions to any of the questions...

    1. Is this design proprietary?

    2. Is this an abberation in the cycling world?

    3. Do many bicycling manufacturers have similar/identical?

    4. What is the purpose of the change by Flamingo?

    5. What are the upsides/downsides of this design?

    6. Would you rather have this type of seat post or the other fluted one?

    I can see one advantage of this one - I like to pull my seat post out and this one is easier. As it would be for thieves.


    image.jpg

    image.jpg

    image.jpg

    image.jpg

    image.jpg

    image.jpg

    image.jpg

    image.jpg

    image.jpg

    image.jpg
    Last edited by Hermespan; 06-07-14 at 10:55 PM.

  11. #36
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    June 2014 'centerfold' from Formosa

    Silk sheets and all! Slim, only slightly used, all sparkles...

    image.jpg

    A 20-year old tip from a chef to the Saudi royal family: always travel with your own sheets. Silk is so durable lightweight and doesn't take up any significant space. This double bed size is from DUC LOI, 77 Hang Gai, Hanoi, Vietnam. USD50. Ten years ago I bought the same for $25, but aside from a couple of patches, that envelope of somnolent bliss is still intact. If you go to Hanoi, do not buy from other shops. You can buy 'silk' sleeping bag liners from $4 and up. I speak from experience - THEY ARE CRAP compared to this shop's. Look for the discreetly placed photo of satisfied customer Gerard Diepardeu.

    I have no connection with Duc Loi, Brompton, Flamingo or One Fine Day. I just want them all to stay in business so am happy to publicize them.

    photo credit Hermespan: costume and set designer to Ballet Ruse. Is he a ***? Who cares! Photo session during military junta in a $6 room in backpacker ghetto. Hot season
    Last edited by Hermespan; 06-07-14 at 10:52 PM.

  12. #37
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    there are a few thailand based members on the forum who may, if they are feeling particularly generous and also gluttons for punishment, offer you some assistance.
    I buy lunch.

  13. #38
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post

    maybe you can check these joints out while you're there:

    https://www.facebook.com/minivelofoldingbike

    these guys sell used bikes (purchased from ebay):

    https://www.facebook.com/ClubfitAndFixed
    It is 'against my religion' to use FB. I barely tolerate Apple (because I need its features for business), have a love-hate relationship with evil empire Google (maps, can't live without them but it's VERY non privacy oriented), but Facebook I think is for 25 year-olds whose sense of privacy us even more ridiculously 'open' than mine.

    I just moved from a paper log to digital diary. Twitter and FB? Not for me. Gotta draw the line somewhere. I realized I am a dinosaur when I sought some information from a teenage Bulgarian nurse from Frederick's of Sofia and instead of getting into a conversation, she replied, 'look it up on Google'. This reply belongs in Fifty+ of course for relevant and obvious reasons.
    Last edited by Hermespan; 06-07-14 at 11:21 PM.

  14. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    GMT +8
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    ThorUSA write: "longer seatpost ( as long as it is 33.9 mm ) are available
    Aber Hallos Stem extender are available ."


    Thank you for your suggestions.


    Today at an independent Brompton shop in Thailand the proprietor and I discussed seat posts, er at length. He has an extended Brompton steel seat post in stock (Flamingo one is aluminum. He commented to staff, extending mine - 'feel this, it's thick eh?')


    The Brompton one is only about 6 cm longer as I recall. I learned that the design is not identical to Flamingo and it would work only if I had the bent lip cut off. Plus he said something that I find hard to understand the purpose of and even believe - that it is inserted up rather than down. And the end that would have a saddle attached looks entirely different than the Flamingo - the diameter narrows. Huh?


    Titanium version by third party manufacturer in Thailand BROMPIFICATION is available. But over USD200 just for a seat post? Strikes me as fetishistic, like I am part of cult of luxury sportsman. Nope - just want a bike that runs. He didn't solicit me to buy it, I inquired.


    From the two bike shops I have seen so far, Thailand strikes me as much more sophisticated than Malaysia. Surprises me.
    IMG_1725.jpg
    i installed a longer seatpost bought from flying ball hong kong. initially i wanted to get the brompton seatpost but it was quite expensive so i opted for this aftermarket seatpost for brompton. the bottom is flared (just like the original brompton seatpost) so it will need to be inserted from below. also you will need the original pentaclip or any aftermarket one to install the saddle. i hope this helps.

  15. #40
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,181
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    Invisiblehand wrote: "Why is it the case that you can only fly with a Brompton like bike? How small do you need it for air travel?"

    1. Fits within maximum airline luggage dimensions without disassembly
    2. Under 16 kilos all packed up so luggage allowance has room for my other stuff
    OK ... So its the disassembly part that's keep you from other brands/models. Otherwise you could use alternatives with minimal disassembly with better fits.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    In a flat city in 2000 I rode a non- folding bike no problem.

    In another flat city during periodic visits from 2011 to 2014 no problem, even though not perfect fit on this Japanese 20" wheel bike

    Both biking daily

    Problem arose only with folding bike in hilly places. But I have gained weight gradually (174 cm, 79 kilos) and am a semi-geezer of 58. I have stopped swimming for one year. The knee problem actually first manifested during swimming. I use only frog abrupt kicking motion.
    That's good to know. That you have regular bikes that don't cause problems. If you were to compare the relationship between saddle, crank, and handlebars on the three bikes, how are they different?

    It seems to me that the real issue is to get a folding bike with the same -- or at least very close -- contact points as your regular bikes.

  16. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or just get a normal bike with S&S adapters.

  17. #42
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marxmini View Post
    IMG_1725.jpg
    i installed a longer seatpost bought from flying ball hong kong. initially i wanted to get the brompton seatpost but it was quite expensive so i opted for this aftermarket seatpost for brompton. the bottom is flared (just like the original brompton seatpost) so it will need to be inserted from below. also you will need the original pentaclip or any aftermarket one to install the saddle. i hope this helps.

    Marxmini, I saw either a red Brompton or red Flamingo being ridden near Khao Sarn Road, Bangkok tonight by an ethnic Thai or Chinese male. Are you him? Too fast to catch as I was walking (and talking with a friend who was telling me how much cheaper Giant bicycles are in Khorat vs. Bangkok.)

    But to your post.... Where did you buy the Hong Kong made extended seat post? I am finding it a huge challenge to find Brompton/Flamingo original or off-brand parts in Bangkok. First, there is the language challenge. Your average taxi driver in Cambodia speaks more English than university educated Thai. Then the hassle of folding bike shops in this metropolis (Google Maps is over. 2 years out of date - it was a pleasure taking the Chao Phraya Express acriss the river to Siriraj Hospital pier then biking 2 kilometers but the pro bike shop had moved). Thirdly hardly anyone rides Bromptons. Flamingos? Forget it. No bike shop manager or staff I have talked with has ever seen one. Seems to be just a bike sold and ridden in Taiwan and maybe Europe.

  18. #43
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Second pro bike shop visited in Bangkok

    1. All (2 so far) these obviously upper middle class Thais running bike shops so far are very helpful with information and leads of who might he able to help me. But none are equipoed, capable or interested in working on my bike.

    2. Khun (Mr) Ma (as in Thai for dog not doctor) of Bok Bok Bikes was very patient and understanding. He spent over 20 minutes considering solutions for my bike and offered several leads and ideas. He oiled the stiff pedal insert (one has been problematic to get off from day one) for which he suggested marking with paint one a distinguishing colour so as the keep them L and R "like your shoes" as perhaps they are not interchangeable. But he didn't want payment. Same thing happened at one shop in Malacca, Malaysia. While charming I find it strange and slightly obligating. When I was a window washer I never washed anyone's windows for free. I had a minimum which was half the price of a full job. No restauranteer gives you a small bowl of soup for free (unless you have ordered a meal). I felt relieved when the Hanoi shop charged me $1.50 rather than gratis.

    In China and India small jobs are charged a small rate. But in Southeast Asia there is a certain genteel way that professionals operate like they are lawyers pro bono. I have no idea if it is like this in Canada and Europe as I haven't lived in the west for decades. Even the first bike shop I visited (8Rider) spent twenty minutes considering the various problems of my bike and suggesting solutions and especially who might be able to do the job before he sent me to the service shop down the block (yes, a real bicycle mechanic shop that it appears sells nothing. It has artisinal workers adjusting spokes, giving weather advice to a Korean long distance biker - felt more like a clubhouse of bicycle boys than a business per se. I approached these guys humbly and respectfully in my bike ignorance. And they were busy. Yet the manager took the time to try to assist.)
    Here is what Ma suggested...

    - Don't bother cleaning the metal corrosion of for example where the steel spokes attach to the aluminum gear hub. It's just cosmetic
    - saddle adjustment is not the problem and besides almost every saddle has the same rail limitations
    -extended seat post IS what needs to be done. He suggested inserting a steel inner pipe and epoxying it, and continue to use the original at its unsafe length rectified
    - He had no pedal clips that would convert the right pedal to a solo churner. (so I could rest my left leg). But someone else might and there might be clips to use with regular shoes that attacges to my Welco pedals holes
    - the front brake that popped out *again* (just ten minutes before shop visit, going over a pothole) he could not fix as he doesn 't carry mini-V brakes. My hope was dashed that the small bent piece could be replaced. He said nobody does that - they sell the entire unit.
    - I also asked about replacing the original back end wheels with some super-duper ones like top-end luggage. None in his stock.

    He did give me the name of a Chinese restauranteer who customizes Bromptons and suggested I call him.

    Hey I think I figured out the business motivation: top end shops don't want the word to get out that they do $10 jobs. They do $100 jobs or courtesy jobs.
    Last edited by Hermespan; 06-10-14 at 12:50 PM.

  19. #44
    Senior Member Hermespan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    294
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullalto View Post
    Or just get a normal bike with S&S adapters.
    saddle and seatpost adapters?

    At Bok Bok I saw something fascinating and weird by Cane Creek. it belonged to a customer of the shop. It was really neat. While the seat didn't look or feel particularly comfy of streamlined the concept fascinated me - suspension that moves fromt and back...

  20. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    372
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    saddle and seatpost adapters?

    At Bok Bok I saw something fascinating and weird by Cane Creek. it belonged to a customer of the shop. It was really neat. While the seat didn't look or feel particularly comfy of streamlined the concept fascinated me - suspension that moves fromt and back...
    Couplers sorry.

    Folding Travel Bikes using S and S Machine Bicycle Torque Couplings™

  21. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    GMT +8
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    Marxmini, I saw either a red Brompton or red Flamingo being ridden near Khao Sarn Road, Bangkok tonight by an ethnic Thai or Chinese male. Are you him? Too fast to catch as I was walking (and talking with a friend who was telling me how much cheaper Giant bicycles are in Khorat vs. Bangkok.)

    But to your post.... Where did you buy the Hong Kong made extended seat post? I am finding it a huge challenge to find Brompton/Flamingo original or off-brand parts in Bangkok. First, there is the language challenge. Your average taxi driver in Cambodia speaks more English than university educated Thai. Then the hassle of folding bike shops in this metropolis (Google Maps is over. 2 years out of date - it was a pleasure taking the Chao Phraya Express acriss the river to Siriraj Hospital pier then biking 2 kilometers but the pro bike shop had moved). Thirdly hardly anyone rides Bromptons. Flamingos? Forget it. No bike shop manager or staff I have talked with has ever seen one. Seems to be just a bike sold and ridden in Taiwan and maybe Europe.
    that was not me.

    i bought the brompton extended seatpost from Flying Ball Bicycle Shop (check their website) in Hong Kong. it is the official distributor of brompton in Hong Kong and they have aftermarket parts as well for the brompton. these aftermarket parts should fit the flamingo as well.

  22. #47
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermespan View Post
    I am restricting my discussion of medical aspects to a related thread in Fifty+.

    Regarding the bicycle itself I am hunting in Bangkok for advice and services as to how to make my bike more suitable.
    Today I visited Thailand's official Brompton distributor: One Fine Day in nearby Bang Na. A more detailed review of that shop is posted under the same username at the Thailand-specific THAI VISA forum.

    To the matter at hand I was told the following...

    1. Most Thais who own Bromptons use them occasionally and recreationally, not for daily transportation.

    >>>> True

    2. There is a professional (certified practitioner) of bike fitting at a high-end mall. It takes two hours to customize and costs USD85 plus any parts. But it would be marginally useful (I think hd said 'useless') for me due to the great adjustment/modification limitations of the folding bike.

    >>>> I don't know about "certified", but "professional" --- there are several.


    3. The manager of the shop has had knee problems himself but hadn't gotten around to getting medical attention (hmm, can't be *that* serious for him then)

    >>>> Ever considered his problem might stem from his weight? (No offense Khun Kit if you are reading this


    4. Problem with anyone's knee is it is more vulnerable and less likely to recover than simple pain in other parts of the body [This struck me as a quasi medical opinion and 'I don 't take fishing advice from golfers']

    >>>> This is probably another quasi medical opinion, but I agree with him since your knees move while bearing huge mass, so sure, they tend to heal slower than, say, sprain wrists.


    5. Any good bike shop can give fitting advice. He recommended two near me. Presumably they make their money from selling bike parts not advice.

    6. He went into great detail about the need of the angle of the knee/leg to be a certain way/distance and the foot on the pedal certain way. I didn't quite get it.

    >>>> Do a google on bike fitting, there are tons of good youtube videos that explain how bike fitting works!



    Of course, the problem in Thailand in going to other bike shops where the manger and staff is not so fluent in English, is language. I don't speak enough Thai and am not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
    >>>>> I emphatized with you on that part --- I only wish we Thais would be more fluent in English.





    I LOVE my s6rx but wouldn't mind riding the tern verge x20.

  23. #48
    Junior Member LarryCrowne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Houston
    My Bikes
    Brompton And a French something.
    Posts
    6
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Since you only post unhappiness with stuff, well maybe its time to hang it up and go Home .

    hehehe Meanie

  24. #49
    Senior Member ThorUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Olney Illinois USA
    My Bikes
    to many
    Posts
    232
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If somebody posts a link in this thread that I am selling thudbusters .... I am unfriending you and send bubba to break some kneecaps ...
    Having fun selling Terns and Dahons for a living. My personal website is also my business website, same as my profile name, therefore no link given to follow forum rules.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •