Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-14, 07:37 PM   #1
foldingbike_js
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dahon Visc P18 2013 - Neo 9 RD an issue?

Hi - I see on the web that some owners complain about the quality of the Neo 9 RD used on the 2013 Visc P18 model.
Apparently, breakages are fairly common. One bike shop has told me that the RD mounts are non standard and as such you cant install a more reliable RD solution (9speed shimano or similar).

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
foldingbike_js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 09:28 PM   #2
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,182
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldingbike_js View Post
Hi - I see on the web that some owners complain about the quality of the Neo 9 RD used on the 2013 Visc P18 model.
Apparently, breakages are fairly common. One bike shop has told me that the RD mounts are non standard and as such you cant install a more reliable RD solution (9speed shimano or similar).

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
seems reasonable:



smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 09:36 PM   #3
ThorUSA
Senior Member
 
ThorUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Olney Illinois USA
Bikes: to many
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bike SHop has limited knowledge about the adavantages of the derailleur ... and hence comes up with ghost stories. Unfortunately all too commom in our industry ...
Sooo having said that . the neos derailleurs on Terns and dahons work really well. They are really nice tucked away and shift is crisp. I sell about 5 or 6 derailleurs every year ... however most of them ending up on some crazy university project like solar cars or similar... meaning I have VERY LOW need to even keep them in stock as they are that good.
Dissadvantage : they are hard to adjust ... its almost impossible to get to the limit screws, hint .. take the derailleur off make an adjustment and put it back on .. but that procedure is probably done once in a lifetime of the bike, hence no problem ..
disadvantage no 2 .. the upper pulley is 9 teeth and not available seperatedly ... However , ThorUSA to the rescue as I have found beautiful 9 teeth pulleys.... they will arrive shortly and replace the originals perfectly ..

all in all a very good component which usually needs nothing to work for years

Besides we also carry adapters so you can choose a long ( close to the ground ) regular derailleur ...

bikeshop should know that ..lol
ThorUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 09:39 PM   #4
foldingbike_js
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow....someone has a lot of time....and $$ . Seriously, thanks for the pics.....Shimano 105. Is this a 2013 Visc, as that is what I'm being offered?
foldingbike_js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 09:43 PM   #5
foldingbike_js
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK. Good to hear. Apparently the 2014 VISC moved away from the Neo 9 RD. So I assumed they themselves have accepted they are not up to scratch.
However, it's always great to hear first hand experience.
I'm new to Foldies. I'm after this for commuting only....I have my weekend bike already. Is the Visc P18 a reasonable starter bike in your eyes?. Simple 10-15kms a day either side of a bus trip.

Thanks for the advice.
foldingbike_js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 11:13 AM   #6
ThorUSA
Senior Member
 
ThorUSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Olney Illinois USA
Bikes: to many
Posts: 634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldingbike_js View Post
OK. Good to hear. Apparently the 2014 VISC moved away from the Neo 9 RD. So I assumed they themselves have accepted they are not up to scratch.
However, it's always great to hear first hand experience.
I'm new to Foldies. I'm after this for commuting only....I have my weekend bike already. Is the Visc P18 a reasonable starter bike in your eyes?. Simple 10-15kms a day either side of a bus trip.

Thanks for the advice.
Very wrong ... asumption....

what maybe is the case here, that the long cage shimano has more chainwrap and is needed for a multigear front bike..
that doesnt mean at all that the neos is not an excellent derrailleur with a very excellent track record.

Also it just might be that Shimano had a special and Dahon could save a couple bucks ..

:-)
Thor
ThorUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 05:27 PM   #7
foldingbike_js
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorUSA View Post
Very wrong ... asumption....

what maybe is the case here, that the long cage shimano has more chainwrap and is needed for a multigear front bike..
that doesnt mean at all that the neos is not an excellent derrailleur with a very excellent track record.

Also it just might be that Shimano had a special and Dahon could save a couple bucks ..

:-)
Thor
The Visc is a multigear front bike...so maybe I will need to change the Neo to a long cage RD.
I don't mind giving the Neo a good run however my main concern with buying the visc 2013 model was whether the frame mount would allow a std derailure. But you mentioned earlier that you sell adaptors that would allow it, right?.
Thanks for all the advice Btw. I checked out your site...it's awesome. We need something like it in Oz for foldies.
foldingbike_js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 03:48 AM   #8
foldingbike_js
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Bikes:
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I bought a VISC 18 and guess what?....yep, Neo 9 derailure snapped off today

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldingbike_js View Post
The Visc is a multigear front bike...so maybe I will need to change the Neo to a long cage RD.
I don't mind giving the Neo a good run however my main concern with buying the visc 2013 model was whether the frame mount would allow a std derailure. But you mentioned earlier that you sell adaptors that would allow it, right?.
Thanks for all the advice Btw. I checked out your site...it's awesome. We need something like it in Oz for foldies.
So, it lasted 6mths. I've never broken a Sram or Shimano derailure it about 35yrs of biking (triathlon, MTBing etc). But today, taking off from the traffic lights I used large chainring on front and 2 or 3 cogs down on the rear cassette. Snap! The derailure broke in two.

Anyway, enough about that. I'm now in the market to modify my Dr Hon Visc 18 (which I love BTW) to take a Shimano 105 derailure. Anyone know where I can get the rear bracket to allow me to mount one of the more standard, higher quality components?

Thanks in advance.

Dr Hon - epic fail! :-(
foldingbike_js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 09:04 AM   #9
HGR3inOK 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oklahoma, U.S.A.
Bikes: Brompton H6L-X, Dahon Curve D3
Posts: 716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foldingbike_js View Post
... Anyone know where I can get the rear bracket to allow me to mount one of the more standard, higher quality components? ...
Try Special Parts Dahon Tern and others

-HANK RYAN-
Norman, Oklahoma USA
__________________
DISCLOSURE: I have an ownership interest in a company that is an authorized dealer for Brompton.
HGR3inOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:30 PM.