Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Help me choose a foldup please!

    Hi happy to have found this forum...learned tons already!

    I am in the process of choosing a foldup and from all that I have researched I have decided on going with Bike Friday!

    I am so confused with all the choices, perhaps someone can help....I do have an appointment with a rep at BF next week, but hoping to get some good input here as well.

    My main uses will be for excursions around town and parks, keeping them in our car at all times so when we go somewhere we can take them out and visit the area as well as taking them on vacations and use as our main form of seeing the sites....

    I was looking at the Travel Tikit. I love how quickly it folds and the ease of wheeling it around as I would not leave my bike chained somewhere. I feel that I could easily take it into most establishments with a little forethought without much difficulty.

    My other consideration is that in 3 years or so I hope to travel to Europe for 6-8weeks and take our bikes with us. With that in mind I was also looking at the World Tourist. Thinking that 16" wheels might not make for as pleasurable a ride given the varying roads, hills, ect that we would be traveling. We will not be using the bikes to travel extremely long distances, rather to shoot around the cities and the outskirts, then hop on a train or other transportation to hit our next spot.

    Any thoughts or suggestions very appreciated!!
    Last edited by Shasha; 08-09-14 at 04:03 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member blakcloud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    My Bikes
    Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Brompton S3L
    Posts
    570
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't help you in which BF to buy but I wouldn't buy a bike based on a 6-8 week bike trip three years from now. I would buy the bike that will best suit your immediate needs and what you plan to do with it for the next 5-10 years (if you keep it that long). My question to you is what are you primarily going to use the bike for? Then buy it for that purpose. You can make any bike travel for a once in a lifetime trip, even Bromptons have been known to be used as touring bikes.

    From what you have said so far, the Tikit seems like the most likely candidate, but as I said I don't the full line up of BF. I am glad you are going to talk to BF.

  3. #3
    Senior Member smallwheeler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    1,853
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shasha View Post
    Any thoughts or suggestions very appreciated!!
    the tikit seems like a great choice. that being said, i would take full advantage of that meeting with the BF rep. try every bike they have! knowledge is power.

    don't worry about taking the tikit on a trip. it will do the job nicely under the standard range of road conditions.


    i'm kind of envious that you can plan a 6 week trip 3 years out.




  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you blakcloud and smallwheeler!

    I actually was going to go with the BF's World Touring bike, but started thinking that even though that might be better for our trip to Europe, it might not fit our needs now and for what we would be using them for the majority of the time.

    I think I am a little concerned about how nice of a ride the 16" wheels will provide.....aside from that I love how portable and easily fold-able the Tikit is.........

    My consult with Bike Friday is via telephone so I won't actually get to test drive anything unfortunately!


    Quote Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
    i'm kind of envious that you can plan a 6 week trip 3 years out.



    Actually it has been a life long dream and years in the planning and kind of an early retirement gift to myself! I just hope I can get all my ducks (so to speak) in a row and pull it off!!!!

  5. #5
    LET'S ROLL 1nterceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST NEW YORK, USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Posts
    3,304
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try to check out/ride Bromtpons also. I've had it in the car many times.
    It's so compact that I can fit it by the footwell of the front or rear passenger.
    Not even necessary to place it in the trunk. I've also taken it on trains, planes,
    buses, etc. I've travelled with it to a few cities. I had it inside stores, museums,
    restaurants, hotel rooms, etc.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Aq...6zPoymgKaIoDLA


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt5M...IoDLA&index=21

  6. #6
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    7,029
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Different purposes

    Tikit and Brompton use a 16"-349 wheel [Brompton folds smaller ]

    the Travel bikes use a 20"-406 wheel they dont as quickly-easily fold

    it is a Knock down to fit in a regular suitcase to fly places for less design.. ..

    It takes a while to get it down to that size ..

    the Silk in 20" and the season tikit offer a Optoon of an internal gear hub without a chain tensioner

    as the rear dropouts move .. to pull chain tighter ..

    I have a Pocket Llama it has a Rohloff hub And their chain tensioner .. it works OK too..


    I note in their current Option list Tikit can be ordered to have a Front bag mount on the headtube [a small piece with 2 threaded holes in it].
    to take Brompton's Luggage block and their Bags .. commuting, a quick release single bag is easier to deal with than a pannier pair.IMO..
    Last edited by fietsbob; 08-11-14 at 12:25 PM.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have travelled around Europe many times, Mainly France but also Belgium, Holland and Italy. We used our Bike Friday's which were brilliant. We did what I call a full fold to suitcase for flying, in the good old days when British Airways shipped bikes for free. We would then build them on arrival and do the half fold for the back of a hire car, worked really well. I have owned a Brompton and would not like to tour on it, a superb commuter bike and the odd 5 kilometers or so. My wife still has her Bike Friday (NWT) and I have recently bought a Dahon Vitesse D8. I would tour on either of these bikes, 20" wheels are a personal preference. You could not go far wrong with either bike. Good luck with your choice, France, Holland and Belgium are superb bike touring destinations.

  8. #8
    LET'S ROLL 1nterceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST NEW YORK, USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Posts
    3,304
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have traveled to Europe many times as well; Italy, The Netherlands, Prague, Austria, Germany,
    France, Belgium, Greece, Spain, etc. I have used public trams, buses and trains. Ate in big and
    small cafe's.

    And in reading closely the OP's wants; " We will not be using the bikes to travel extremely long
    distances, rather to shoot around the cities and the outskirts, then hop on a train or other transportation
    to hit our next spot,
    ease of wheeling it around as I would not leave my bike chained somewhere. I feel
    that I could easily take it into most establishments with a little forethought without much difficulty."
    I think that a Brompton could be considered a contender.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPHI-JWj3Rw&list=UUHyRS8bRu6zPoymgKaIoDLA&index=69

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, 1nterceptor!!
    Loved watching the videos...thanks for sharing..! The Natural Bridge was a favorite visit of mine during one of our many trips to Virginia!!!!

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    Different purposes

    Tikit and Brompton use a 16"-349 wheel [Brompton folds smaller ]

    the Travel bikes use a 20"-406 wheel they dont as quickly-easily fold

    it is a Knock down to fit in a regular suitcase to fly places for less design.. ..

    It takes a while to get it down to that size ..

    the Silk in 20" and the season tikit offer a Optoon of an internal gear hub without a chain tensioner

    as the rear dropouts move .. to pull chain tighter ..

    I have a Pocket Llama it has a Rohloff hub And their chain tensioner .. it works OK too..


    I note in their current Option list Tikit can be ordered to have a Front bag mount on the headtube [a small piece with 2 threaded holes in it].
    to take Brompton's Luggage block and their Bags .. commuting, a quick release single bag is easier to deal with than a pannier pair.IMO..
    It'll take a lot more research and studying on my end in this new field to understand everything you just wrote...lol!!!! But thank you so much for the input!!

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1nterceptor View Post
    I have traveled to Europe many times as well; Italy, The Netherlands, Prague, Austria, Germany,
    France, Belgium, Greece, Spain, etc. I have used public trams, buses and trains. Ate in big and
    small cafe's.

    And in reading closely the OP's wants; " We will not be using the bikes to travel extremely long
    distances, rather to shoot around the cities and the outskirts, then hop on a train or other transportation
    to hit our next spot,
    ease of wheeling it around as I would not leave my bike chained somewhere. I feel
    that I could easily take it into most establishments with a little forethought without much difficulty."
    I think that a Brompton could be considered a contender.
    Thank you.....another great video...I will revisit Brompton's site before making a final decision...thanks!!!

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petanque View Post
    We have travelled around Europe many times, Mainly France but also Belgium, Holland and Italy. We used our Bike Friday's which were brilliant. We did what I call a full fold to suitcase for flying, in the good old days when British Airways shipped bikes for free. We would then build them on arrival and do the half fold for the back of a hire car, worked really well. I have owned a Brompton and would not like to tour on it, a superb commuter bike and the odd 5 kilometers or so. My wife still has her Bike Friday (NWT) and I have recently bought a Dahon Vitesse D8. I would tour on either of these bikes, 20" wheels are a personal preference. You could not go far wrong with either bike. Good luck with your choice, France, Holland and Belgium are superb bike touring destinations.


    Thank you, Petanque......appreciate your input! Love what you had to share!!!!

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After speaking with the rep from Bike Friday, here are his recommendations.

    Although he explained the choices I am still pretty clueless. Anyone willing to look this over and give their advise or what they might do differently based on the choices available in customizing this bike?

    Much appreciated!!!

    SPECS HERE
    Last edited by Shasha; 08-12-14 at 01:30 AM.

  14. #14
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    7,029
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have any experience with other bikes in general?

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    23
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
    have any experience with other bikes in general?
    I have always enjoyed a bike but never got into it to the point where I knew brands, features, specs, ect. For the past years I have been riding a Giant 27sp.

    My 1st foldup experience with the exception of 35 years ago or so was last year when I met a couple in their 70's who traveled all over the world with their Bike Fridays. I test drove theirs and fell in love.

    With my desire to see Europe and my love for just knocking around different towns and exploring, I thought a foldup would be perfect.

    Aside from that, I am armed with only the information I have gathered online, from the BF rep, and from this amazing forum!

    By any chance did you check out the specs for the NWT I was considering? It was customized solely based on the rep's recommendation. I could have configured the bike differently but it was all jibberish to me.

  16. #16
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry disagree, the Brompton is better than for just 5km. It is a generalisation to say the bike is only capable of short distances! It may not be a long distance touring bike but it is perfect for the needs of the op!

  17. #17
    The Recumbent Quant cplager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Norwalk, CT
    My Bikes
    2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
    Sorry disagree, the Brompton is better than for just 5km. It is a generalisation to say the bike is only capable of short distances! It may not be a long distance touring bike but it is perfect for the needs of the op!
    Some people do tour on their Bromptons. Crazy distances.

    (I wouldn't do it, but you can).

  18. #18
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cplager View Post
    Some people do tour on their Bromptons. Crazy distances.

    (I wouldn't do it, but you can).
    It's a very common misconception to view the Brompton as just a commute n'go short distance bike. 2 people rode with me on the 115mile Dunwich Dynamo on their Bromptons last year. Not a bother on them and completed with much aplomb!

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the spec provided by the BF people. I think it would suit your needs in a number of ways it terms of the different types of cycling you do in the years before your European, trip you can enjoy and get to know it, in two or three years time it will be well broken in for your trip, Of course the same applies to other folders including Brompton's, I simply give my opinion having owned both and feel the BF would be the one I would choose with a long term view. I like Brompton's but personally I would not like to do too many miles on one, all credit to those who do and can.

  20. #20
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Petanque View Post
    I like the spec provided by the BF people. I think it would suit your needs in a number of ways it terms of the different types of cycling you do in the years before your European, trip you can enjoy and get to know it, in two or three years time it will be well broken in for your trip, Of course the same applies to other folders including Brompton's, I simply give my opinion having owned both and feel the BF would be the one I would choose with a long term view. I like Brompton's but personally I would not like to do too many miles on one, all credit to those who do and can.
    Of course it's always personal opinion and preference in the end. However, it is still factually wrong to consider the Brompton as a 5km and below mode of transport. Experience of many rather than few proves otherwise! ;-)

  21. #21
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shasha View Post
    My main uses will be for excursions around town and parks, keeping them in our car at all times so when we go somewhere we can take them out and visit the area as well as taking them on vacations and use as our main form of seeing the sites....

    I was looking at the Travel Tikit. I love how quickly it folds and the ease of wheeling it around as I would not leave my bike chained somewhere. I feel that I could easily take it into most establishments with a little forethought without much difficulty.

    My other consideration is that in 3 years or so I hope to travel to Europe for 6-8weeks and take our bikes with us. With that in mind I was also looking at the World Tourist. Thinking that 16" wheels might not make for as pleasurable a ride given the varying roads, hills, ect that we would be traveling. We will not be using the bikes to travel extremely long distances, rather to shoot around the cities and the outskirts, then hop on a train or other transportation to hit our next spot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shasha View Post
    After speaking with the rep from Bike Friday, here are his recommendations.
    Folding, rolling, and packing the tikit is easier than a NWT. If you're not riding off road and you're a casual rather than sport rider, I'd seriously consider a tikit over a NWT. If you don't need a high gear, I'd ask that a front derailer mount be included -- but not necessarily a front derailer -- just in case you tour later and need a low gear for climbing big hills. You can always go to a LBS and add one later.

    The harder the ride and longer the distance you plan on riding, the more I'd consider the NWT over the tikit.

    Quote Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
    Sorry disagree, the Brompton is better than for just 5km. It is a generalisation to say the bike is only capable of short distances! It may not be a long distance touring bike but it is perfect for the needs of the op!
    It is a generalization. Although there are few people that take Bromptons for long rides so it's probably a good generalization to give people.

    I always recommend test riding as many bikes as possible.

  22. #22
    The Metropolis, UK
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,332
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblehand View Post
    Folding, rolling, and packing the tikit is easier than a NWT. If you're not riding off road and you're a casual rather than sport rider, I'd seriously consider a tikit over a NWT. If you don't need a high gear, I'd ask that a front derailer mount be included -- but not necessarily a front derailer -- just in case you tour later and need a low gear for climbing big hills. You can always go to a LBS and add one later.

    The harder the ride and longer the distance you plan on riding, the more I'd consider the NWT over the tikit.



    It is a generalization. Although there are few people that take Bromptons for long rides so it's probably a good generalization to give people.

    I always recommend test riding as many bikes as possible.
    Few people in the US perhaps? That's not so in London or the UK. People regularly do well over 5km on their rides and commutes on Brommys here.

  23. #23
    coprolite fietsbob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    NW,Oregon Coast
    My Bikes
    7
    Posts
    7,029
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dual drive Hubs are almost as good as Rohloff 14 speed

    though more complicated to use .. like a derailleur with a triple crank . but at least the 3 internal gears shift at a stop.
    a triple crank wont all the drivetrain parts must be rotating.. to move the chain from one to another..


    Heinz Stucke has been touring for decades .. now he is on a (sponsored) Brompton ..

  24. #24
    LET'S ROLL 1nterceptor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WEST NEW YORK, USA
    My Bikes
    2013 Scott CR1 Pro carbon, 2013 Brompton S6L-X titanium, 2013 Citizen Tokyo steel
    Posts
    3,304
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My commute to work is 16.5 miles(26.5 km.) one way.
    20 Miles to Piermont, NY by 1nterceptor, on Flickr

    Did the NYC Five Boro Bike Tour(40 miles/64 km.) on my B'ton. Thinking of doing the NYC Century(100 miles/160 km.) on the B'ton as well.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmFU...6zPoymgKaIoDLA

  25. #25
    Part-time epistemologist invisiblehand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Washington, DC
    My Bikes
    Jamis Nova, Bike Friday NWT, STRIDA, Austro Daimler Vent Noir, Haluzak Horizon, Salsa La Raza, Hollands Tourer, Bike Friday tikit
    Posts
    5,287
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mulleady View Post
    Few people in the US perhaps? That's not so in London or the UK. People regularly do well over 5km on their rides and commutes on Brommys here.
    I didn't see the original 5km reference outside of your post. But I think 5km is considered pretty short in the US. Mind you, "long" and "short" is poorly defined ... I think it will also depend on hills, weather, load, and so on ... so I'll try to be more specific. I'm thinking something like 10+ non-hilly miles as a long ride for non-sport-cycling folks or something like an hour of riding. Based purely on anecdotes, that seems to be the upper limit on most utility/commuting rides outside of the hardcore folks and a distance that a lot of casual folks do around here when going on "long" rides on the trails and such. I'd bump that up for fitness folks.

    I know a handful of folks that will ride 10-ish miles on a Brompton ... most will do it in many steps though. So I'm not sure how to account for that.

    Naturally, YMMV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •