Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-14, 06:26 PM   #26
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
More Solorock Swift 16" Photos

Today, it was slow at work so I went home early. It was raining so I didn't really have the opportunity to take some photos of my new bike "out in the wild" but took some more photos of it indoors.


Here is the bike with my Avenir commuting rack bag. It is a little too big for the bike IMHO. Who else thinks white wall tires are sexy?


The pedals are, well kind of cheap but they work rather well. They have the letters, "FPO" on them. The brand? The entire body is made of a plastic composite but they are solid when unfolded. A possible upgrade in the future.


The main hinge is the ubiquitous locking pin and quick release mechanism. Simple but strong and very reliable. I've had bikes in the past with this very same setup with no problems. It works.


Now we get to the handle-post locking mechanism. In an earlier post, I mentioned it and called it a "cantilever". I am not certain if that's the correct term so any of you "engineering types", feel free to correct me.


Here we start opening the locking mechanism. As you can see, the tension is fully adjustable by turning the rod visible in the photo.

To be continued...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170048.jpg (63.7 KB, 257 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170016.jpg (43.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170116.jpg (42.8 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170128.jpg (43.7 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170210.jpg (46.1 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by edwong3; 12-31-14 at 04:27 AM.
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-14, 06:36 PM   #27
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
More Solorock Swift 16" Photos Part II

More photos:


Half way open...


...and completely open.


The seat is firm but surprisingly comfortable for what it is. Looks great and very well made.


Picture is a bit blurry because I must have moved the camera. It's just your typical shimano "RevoShift". We'll see how it holds up over time but it does the job of crisp, accurate shifts.


The Shimano SIS derailleur. This appears to be a newer version. I've had bikes with the entry level SIS and they've all performed well. In fact, I used to own a ReBike semi recumbent years ago equipped with an earlier version of the SIS and held up well to 9500 miles. I replaced it only because I changed my drivetrain setup to use a "Megarange" freewheel which necessitated another derailleur that could handle the 34 tooth "granny".

Thanks for reading.
Edward
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170234.jpg (58.6 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170246.jpg (53.2 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170300.jpg (45.0 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170335.jpg (43.0 KB, 233 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141230_170347.jpg (52.3 KB, 257 views)
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 01:38 AM   #28
tudorowen1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cleethorpes..the last resort..UK
Bikes: Brompton S6L ,Bike Friday NWT, Phillips 8 speed folder, Trek 930, Thorn XTC
Posts: 286
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
The more I see the more I think it is an old Dahon made by another company ..perhaps under licence.. ..Dahon uses 34mm seatposts still..The design of latch for the handlepost was used by Dahon for many years..in fact it is still used on the Dahon Impulse model they still sell in Thailand..
tudorowen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 04:19 AM   #29
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Then you might be right about Dahon and this Solorock.

Thanks for your comments.

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorowen1 View Post
The more I see the more I think it is an old Dahon made by another company ..perhaps under licence.. ..Dahon uses 34mm seatposts still..The design of latch for the handlepost was used by Dahon for many years..in fact it is still used on the Dahon Impulse model they still sell in Thailand..
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-14, 03:49 PM   #30
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
This Looks a Little Bit Better.

This rack trunk looks more to scale for the small Solorock than the Avenir that was shown in one of the photos I took very recently. The Avenir made the bike look "cartonish" IMHO.



Edward
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Smaller Rack Trunk SR Swift.jpg (64.1 KB, 256 views)
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-15, 09:26 PM   #31
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Out and About

This afternoon (Friday 01/02/2015), I was finally able to go on a nice ride in the neighborhood. Today is a week since I got the bike. I snapped some photos and they're posted here.

















Now on to comments about the bike while riding today. It is an absolute blast to ride. At the leisurely speeds I am used to (10-12 mph), even the low gearing on the SR Swift were adequate.

The 16 inch wheels coupled with the 48/14-28 gearing, results in a range of 23.1 to 46.1 according to Sheldon Brown's Gear Calculator. The stock setup works quite well, as I said, for the "pedestrian" cruising speeds I like. If I were to use this bike on open road rides, then I would probably upgrade to get a higher end ratio but for now, I am keeping the bike stock.

If there is one thing I am going to change very soon are the stock handle bar grips. I am going to get a set up "ergo" types. The ones on the bike look like they belong on a kid's bike. The right grip, the shorter one that is next to the seven speed shifter, tends to slip outwards a bit, and every few minutes, I have to twist it back towards the shifter. Not a big deal.

But again, I make the observation how stable this little bike feels. I was expecting a bit of twitchy or quicker steering due to the small wheels but instead, it feels planted like a larger bike. I have owned, and ridden a number of 20 inch folders that didn't feel as stable. I think part of the reason is because the Swift has a lower CG because its mass (frame) sits lower to the ground. And there must be something about the steering geometry. Just a theory.

Tomorrow is another day to ride and enjoy.

Happy trails,
Edward
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20150102_163648.jpg (99.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150102_163704.jpg (83.9 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150102_164400.jpg (81.7 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150102_170006.jpg (95.2 KB, 249 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20150102_170556.jpg (66.7 KB, 245 views)

Last edited by edwong3; 01-03-15 at 06:44 AM.
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-15, 09:53 PM   #32
BikeLite
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing more info Ed.
BikeLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 04:35 AM   #33
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Sure. It's been fun and enjoy doing so.

Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikeLite View Post
Thanks for sharing more info Ed.
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 12:16 PM   #34
mconlonx 
Nobody
 
mconlonx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 7,474
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2863 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
This pic intrigues me because it looks like it has a rearward facing, horizontal dropout. While it might complicate wheel changes a bit, perfect for conversion to SS/FG/IGH.

Thanks for posting, edwong3!

-------------------------------

Cheap vs. Expensive folder: I buy most of my bikes used, and it doesn't scare me because I spent time recently as a full time bike mechanic. To that end, I can usually find exceptionally decent bikes which may need a tweak or two for less than half the price new. So for instance, the Birdy I ride now -- previously listed here as an expensive bike -- I got for less than half of what it cost new, or about double what it would cost to buy something like this Solorock Swift, a Citizen, or Downtube.

I also commend edwong3 for taking the bike to a shop for an initial tune. If you are an average consumer with limited bike repair skillz, this is an excellent thing to do. Most shops won't blink at you bringing in a mail order bike, either -- if they do, they suck, and don't really understand their own business. On the purchase end, however, budget for it, especially if price shopping bikes on the floor in a shop, which should already be set up correctly.
__________________
I know next to nothing. I am frequently wrong.
mconlonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-15, 09:07 PM   #35
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
@mconlonx. Yes the dropouts indeed face rearward. This bike is available as a single speed as well, and originally, I had ordered one in black. But that very same night, I got an email from the seller stating that they had sold out, and were willing to send me the 7 speed version in lieu for no additional charge. I accepted the offer but then when I checked their website again, I discovered that they still had the single speed in pearl white which is the same color of my 7 speed in stock.

To be perfectly honest, I would have preferred the single speed for its simplicity, and to use as my "errand" and "shopping" bike. My plan was to buy one of their aluminum 7 speed 20 inch models for use as my sport bike for longer distance riding, and perhaps to rejoin my local bike club. I still do want to do that perhaps next month.

I'm looking at these two bikes:

http://solorock.us/collections/foldi...m-folding-bike

http://solorock.us/collections/foldi...m-folding-bike

But hey, I got an upgrade for the same money on this 16 inch so I shouldn't complain.

Edward



Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlonx View Post
This pic intrigues me because it looks like it has a rearward facing, horizontal dropout. While it might complicate wheel changes a bit, perfect for conversion to SS/FG/IGH.

Thanks for posting, edwong3!

-------------------------------

Cheap vs. Expensive folder: I buy most of my bikes used, and it doesn't scare me because I spent time recently as a full time bike mechanic. To that end, I can usually find exceptionally decent bikes which may need a tweak or two for less than half the price new. So for instance, the Birdy I ride now -- previously listed here as an expensive bike -- I got for less than half of what it cost new, or about double what it would cost to buy something like this Solorock Swift, a Citizen, or Downtube.

I also commend edwong3 for taking the bike to a shop for an initial tune. If you are an average consumer with limited bike repair skillz, this is an excellent thing to do. Most shops won't blink at you bringing in a mail order bike, either -- if they do, they suck, and don't really understand their own business. On the purchase end, however, budget for it, especially if price shopping bikes on the floor in a shop, which should already be set up correctly.

Last edited by edwong3; 01-09-15 at 09:12 PM.
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 01:33 PM   #36
Azreal911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post

To be perfectly honest, I would have preferred the single speed for its simplicity, and to use as my "errand" and "shopping" bike. My plan was to buy one of their aluminum 7 speed 20 inch models for use as my sport bike for longer distance riding, and perhaps to rejoin my local bike club. I still do want to do that perhaps next month.

I'm looking at these two bikes:

Hunter - SOLOROCK 20" 7 Speed Aluminum Folding Bike - Xmas Special | SoloRock Sports & Appliances

Flash - SOLOROCK 20" 18 Speed Aluminum Folding Bike - Xmas Special | SoloRock Sports & Appliances

But hey, I got an upgrade for the same money on this 16 inch so I shouldn't complain.

Edward
Hey Ed

I'm kinda skeptical on the specs they have. The hunter is fully loaded with rack and fenders while the flash is more stripped down and probably better parts on there. Yet on the weight section they are both 16KG?? I was thinking for double the price you would be at least a little less on the weight. at that price might as well spend a bit more and put a giant chainring on your swift for fun then you'll be at least matching up to their gear inches. but you might have to change the tires from the standard kenda's for better efficiency.maybe some comets or marathon racers

Marathon Racer, 40-305, Reflex,Wire | Schwalbe North America

http://www.amazon.com/Primo-Comet-1-.../dp/B001F73KVI

that would be fun to make your lil bike run more efficient.
Azreal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 08:17 PM   #37
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm a bit confused as to how you arrived that both bikes weigh the same. The aluminum Hunter weighs in at 13 kg. or about 28 lbs. while the Flash comes in at 11.8 kg or 25 lbs. give or take.

I like the price of the Hunter, and I was thinking that taking off the rack and fenders would trim some weight off, and that would be my "sports bike". Just a thought.

As for the Swift, I don't plan on spending much at all, though I am definitely looking upgrading the tires. Other than that, it will be mostly for running errands and things like that.


Thanks for your input.

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreal911 View Post
Hey Ed

I'm kinda skeptical on the specs they have. The hunter is fully loaded with rack and fenders while the flash is more stripped down and probably better parts on there. Yet on the weight section they are both 16KG?? I was thinking for double the price you would be at least a little less on the weight. at that price might as well spend a bit more and put a giant chainring on your swift for fun then you'll be at least matching up to their gear inches. but you might have to change the tires from the standard kenda's for better efficiency.maybe some comets or marathon racers

Marathon Racer, 40-305, Reflex,Wire | Schwalbe North America

Robot Check

that would be fun to make your lil bike run more efficient.

Last edited by edwong3; 01-12-15 at 08:21 PM.
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 10:58 AM   #38
Azreal911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Bikes: Wheeler Mtn bike, Strida 5.0, Tern Link Uno, FSIR Spin 2.0, Dahon Mu P8
Posts: 926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwong3 View Post
I'm a bit confused as to how you arrived that both bikes weigh the same. The aluminum Hunter weighs in at 13 kg. or about 28 lbs. while the Flash comes in at 11.8 kg or 25 lbs. give or take.

Nevermind, this was a fail to read moment, I went back to the link and I was looking at packaged GROSS WEIGHT!

yes I will go to the corner and hide my head in shame now

BUT on a side note I would choose the flash, sure it costs alot more but because it has better parts overall like the brakes and tires and rear and front derailler (Tiagara vs the department store model tourneys) as well as a wider gear range since you will be riding with others and you might go on a fast drafting spin on a straight flat and hit high speeds or climb some wicked hills depending on where you live I think it's better to have the option to be able to get a good cadence going than be stuck with the 7 gears.

Even the crankset on the flash I see you can remove and upgrade the chainrings to different sizes should the need come when it wears out or you just want to tune it better to your needs. WHILE on the hunter it's those cheap one piece cranks when it's time to replace you have to replace and pretty much junk the entire unit and you will have no options to modify the front without the entire removal of the crankset.

That's how I'm thinking since you said you will be doing group rides with this and depending on the group of peeps you are with it would be nice to have options to "tweak" things as you ride with them long term on this bike.

Last edited by Azreal911; 01-13-15 at 11:15 AM.
Azreal911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-15, 08:51 PM   #39
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Flash is nice and the price reflects that. For the type of group rides I intend to ride though, it's a bit of an overkill, but nothing wrong with that.

Believe it or not, the only thing that sort of attracts me more to the Flash is the Dahon like "magnetic locks" to keep the bike folded. It's a pretty bike but that is about it.

Thanks again for your feedback. Never thought this thread would attract some very insightful comments.

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azreal911 View Post
Nevermind, this was a fail to read moment, I went back to the link and I was looking at packaged GROSS WEIGHT!

yes I will go to the corner and hide my head in shame now

BUT on a side note I would choose the flash, sure it costs alot more but because it has better parts overall like the brakes and tires and rear and front derailler (Tiagara vs the department store model tourneys) as well as a wider gear range since you will be riding with others and you might go on a fast drafting spin on a straight flat and hit high speeds or climb some wicked hills depending on where you live I think it's better to have the option to be able to get a good cadence going than be stuck with the 7 gears.

Even the crankset on the flash I see you can remove and upgrade the chainrings to different sizes should the need come when it wears out or you just want to tune it better to your needs. WHILE on the hunter it's those cheap one piece cranks when it's time to replace you have to replace and pretty much junk the entire unit and you will have no options to modify the front without the entire removal of the crankset.

That's how I'm thinking since you said you will be doing group rides with this and depending on the group of peeps you are with it would be nice to have options to "tweak" things as you ride with them long term on this bike.
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-15, 08:09 PM   #40
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
The world would continue to revolve with out premium folding bikes.
if the so-called "premium" bikes didn't exist then there would be no innovative designs, custom tooling, autocad files, molds, jigs, prototyping, or other R and D for the chancers to steal. therefore, the cheap knock-offs like the one in question would also not exist.
surely, you realize that.

other offerings from "solorock":

the "cesy":



dahon briza:



the "dash":



dahon mu:



"flash":



dahon speed:



"pace"



dahon dove:

smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 11:19 AM   #41
bhkyte
Senior Member
 
bhkyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: York UK
Bikes: 2X dualdrive Mezzo folder,plus others
Posts: 2,957
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Smallwheeler quote"if the so-called "premium" bikes didn't exist then there would be no innovative designs, custom tooling, autocad files, molds, jigs, prototyping, or other R and D for the chancers to steal. therefore, the cheap knock-offs like the one in question would also not exist.
surely, you realize that..."

Mass production of small margin items does not nessary mean innovation stops. Which seems to be the reverse of your conjecture.
I stated the world will still revolve which is a universal law rather than an economic one. To be concise......

Premium goods are not always measurably the best or the most expensive to manufacture.

Last edited by bhkyte; 01-25-15 at 11:23 AM.
bhkyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 01:25 PM   #42
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhkyte View Post
Smallwheeler quote"if the so-called "premium" bikes didn't exist then there would be no innovative designs, custom tooling, autocad files, molds, jigs, prototyping, or other R and D for the chancers to steal. therefore, the cheap knock-offs like the one in question would also not exist.
surely, you realize that..."

Mass production of small margin items does not nessary mean innovation stops. Which seems to be the reverse of your conjecture.
I stated the world will still revolve which is a universal law rather than an economic one. To be concise......

Premium goods are not always measurably the best or the most expensive to manufacture.
the statements you are making here are, i guess intentionally, so generalized as to have no particular relevance to the topic at hand. the topic isn't about mass production, margins, the relative quality of one set of goods vs. another, and certainly not about newton's laws of motion.

the statement you made previously, "The world would continue to revolve with out premium folding bikes.", i'm sure was not intended to represent some deeply philosophical musing on your part. i'm not criticizing you for it. i just happened to see the irony in the statement and thought it worth pointing out.

also, next time you run across a cheap di blasi r4, hang on to it for me. i regret selling mine. it even had a working generator head lamp..
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 02:28 PM   #43
cpg
Senior Member
 
cpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nottingham
Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
if the so-called "premium" bikes didn't exist then there would be no innovative designs, custom tooling, autocad files, molds, jigs, prototyping, or other R and D for the chancers to steal. therefore, the cheap knock-offs like the one in question would also not exist.
surely, you realize that.
This issue is clearly important to you so I suggest you start a thread dedicated to it rather than venting your frustrations on other peoples threads and taking those threads off topic. That is a far better option than trolling.
cpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 04:12 PM   #44
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg View Post
This issue is clearly important to you so I suggest you start a thread dedicated to it rather than venting your frustrations on other peoples threads and taking those threads off topic. That is a far better option than trolling.
actually, you telling me to move along is what's off-topic.

my comments are not off-topic. the topic of the thread is the "solorock" bicycle. other bikes offered by the same company were also mentioned. my comments are about those bikes, the company that sells them, and comments made by other forum members regarding those bikes. i'm not really sure why you would characterize statements of fact as "venting".

the most immediately apparent features of all of these bikes is the obvious fact that they are knock-offs. to intentionally ignore these issues and simply say "nice bike buddy, enjoy it." or simply to say nothing about the underlying issues at all is to tacitly endorse it and does a disservice to inexperienced cyclists and to the cycling community in general.

furthermore, to characterize my comments as "trolling" is not only incorrect, but also quite unfair and most likely an attempt to have my posts deleted by a moderator. i think you know my comments are not intended to be inflammatory in any way and are based in obvious fact. if you disagree with my positions on the solorock bike, i am more than happy to have a conversation about it. but, somehow i think that's not your interest.



In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtrl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people,[SUP][1][/SUP] by posting inflammatory,[SUP][2][/SUP] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[SUP][3][/SUP] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[SUP][4][/SUP]
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 04:35 PM   #45
cpg
Senior Member
 
cpg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nottingham
Bikes: Mezzo I4, Trek 1200, Rudge (Montague) BiFrame, Bickerton
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have no intention of getting any of your posts deleted. Edwong3 posted here to share his cycling experience with us, not to have a discussion about the ethics of business practices and plagiarism. For that reason, I think (and I am certain that I am not the only one here) that your post on this subject and the ones you posted on other threads such as the Genesis thread are better suited elsewhere, in their own topic.
cpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 05:03 PM   #46
smallwheeler
Senior Member
 
smallwheeler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 2,340
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg View Post
I have no intention of getting any of your posts deleted. Edwong3 posted here to share his cycling experience with us, not to have a discussion about the ethics of business practices and plagiarism. For that reason, I think (and I am certain that I am not the only one here) that your post on this subject and the ones you posted on other threads such as the Genesis thread are better suited elsewhere, in their own topic.
i disagree with what you are saying. yes, the counterfeit/ knock-off issue is certainly it's own very broad topic. however, it does relate directly and specifically to the two bicycles in question and it would seem to be doing a disservice to prospective buyers who may not be aware and potentially do care about what they buy, to remain silent about the issue and say nothing within the thread about the bike in question.

that being said, i'll drop it.
smallwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-15, 07:16 PM   #47
edwong3
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
edwong3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Bikes: 2007 Qile Duo 20" Multi-Purpose Folding Bike
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok, I'm the OP so I am going to have to jump in! I mentioned earlier in the thread that a forum member who is an "insider" to the bicycle manufacturing industry in Asia, explained that things work differently in regards to product design and production, than say here in the West.

There are firms over there called "design bureaus" that employ countless numbers of industrial specialists. Their aim is to introduce new products through established production companies, and make their designs available through either partnerships, joint ventures, and outright sales or licensing agreements.

The fact of the matter is, what may seem like some relatively obscure factories building, and selling cheap "knockoffs" of "premium" brand folding bikes, or any other product category for that matter, is more than likely, a legal and ethical arrangement made through one of these design bureaus.

Dahon might actually be a customer/client themselves of these firms, though they (Dahon) are product designers themselves, and hold countless patents on many of the peripheral components such as the mainframe hinges and locking mechanisms, and such.

So with that said, yes, the purpose of me starting this thread was to share my experience with the forum members. I never intended to "disturb" some people who seem to be less tolerant of those who chose to buy outside of the accepted circle of "premium" grade products. To me, that behavior is contrary to the spirit of what cycling is all about.

My report about the 16 inch SR Swift was positive, and continues to be so with no regrets. I don't need to apologize for the fact that this bike is not the lightest, nor the fastest, or the fact that the components are not "top shelf". Who in their right mind would expect that for less than $140 bucks?

In closing, let's keep the discussion civil, not only on my thread, but elsewhere in the forum. That is the real service to anyone coming here to get good, unbiased information.

Edward




Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
i disagree with what you are saying. yes, the counterfeit/ knock-off issue is certainly it's own very broad topic. however, it does relate directly and specifically to the two bicycles in question and it would seem to be doing a disservice to prospective buyers who may not be aware and potentially do care about what they buy, to remain silent about the issue and say nothing within the thread about the bike in question.

that being said, i'll drop it.



Quote:
Originally Posted by smallwheeler View Post
i disagree with what you are saying. yes, the counterfeit/ knock-off issue is certainly it's own very broad topic. however, it does relate directly and specifically to the two bicycles in question and it would seem to be doing a disservice to prospective buyers who may not be aware and potentially do care about what they buy, to remain silent about the issue and say nothing within the thread about the bike in question.

that being said, i'll drop it.
edwong3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-17, 03:17 PM   #48
Klutch27
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ed,

Are you still enjoying this bike? I just came across it and am looking at purchasing one. Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but was hoping to get some feedback because this is the only review of the SoloRock I've been able to find.

Grace and Peace,

G
Klutch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 05:36 PM   #49
maxwiggan
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Bikes: Raleigh Twenty, Viscount Aerospace 400
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Is there a lot of rolling resistance on the 16" wheels
maxwiggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-17, 08:35 PM   #50
Bonzo Banana
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Bikes:
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Looks like another bike that could be a fuji-ta bike. This one is similar but not identical.

Folding Bike FA170 - Tianjin Fuji-ta Bicycle Co.,Ltd.

They do the same frame designs in both steel and aluminium and can mix and match other parts of the design. If you compare the fuji-ta factory to the Dahon factory the Dahon factory looks incredibly primitive but I think the Dahon factory is merely assembling parts sourced from other Chinese factories. Sadly we don't get the Chinese made Dahons in Europe I think most of ours are outsourced to max.com of bulgaria to manufacture them and not as good. So I wouldn't assume the frame is inferior but clearly component quality is critical and that's always related to price but a direct seller price isn't always comparable to a normal bike that goes through wholesale and retail channels each requiring greater profit than direct sellers.
Bonzo Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:29 PM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    get answers from real people!
Click to start entering your question.
I HAVE A QUESTION