Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 37
  1. #1
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    [College] Ok, I need to vent.

    My usual venting forum is down today, so you guys get to hear it...

    Background: I'm a junior in college, studying Criminal Justice. At the moment I have a 3.935 GPA overall and 4.0 within my major.

    I have a professor who I took about 1.5 years ago, and rather enjoyed his class. Now, this semester I took him again for one of my last required courses in my major. He has a reputation of being difficult, but in my opinion it was never well deserved, since you could do well if you just read the book. (I had the highest grade in the class when I took him). This semester, however, he has changed. For example, this class is divided into 5 sections, only 3 of which are covered in the book. In addition, about 30% of the book that we have had to read has not appeared on the exams.

    Sure, obviously stuff will come from the lecture instead, however, this professor is one of the worst lecturers on campus. He can stray off topic at the drop of a hat, and due to his style, he will stay off topic the entirety of the lecture. Ok.. Well, maybe he gives good reviews? Hmm. No. He may or may not give us a review sheet, of which he will cover maybe 1/3rd.

    Right.. so, let me say this now, I don't expect to be handed a grade in any class, if I have to, I work my tail off, but this class has killed it for me. Due to his style of lecture, the lack of a useful book, and the fact that all 3 of our exams are 100 question True/False only exams, it actually gives those who never come to class, and never read, just as good of a chance at making a grade comparable to those who do. For the record, I have a low B, and since the final is worth 50% of the grade, this will almost certainly be my first B in my major, and possibly a C. I've been there all but 2 days, and read every page in the book that was assigned.

    Anyway, what pushed me over the edge was this. I go to class every day, I have only skipped once, and missed once due to illness. I participate, and do my best to keep him on topic. Last Monday and Wednesday he gave us one of the most lackluster reviews of the semester for the final, and by that point we all gave up on him, and pretty much no one went on Friday (including myself, since all my other classes were cancelled).

    Of course, as it turns out, he gave a spectacular review, and even gave everyone who attended extra credit on the final.

    Hmm. I know you might think, "well, that's your own dang fault for not going," and I somewhat agree, but why does it annoy me? Because it completely caters to every jerk who skips class every day all semester and shows up only for the day before the test and the review. All of us that put up with his banter day in and day out get absolutely no recognition for it. Those who just decided to show up the day before the final just so their mom will stop yelling at them to go to class get a great bonus.

    Its appalling. I can't stand it. I'm the last one to complain about a professor, because I think you get what you deserve, but it is just plain wrong to reward the people who slack off and ignore those of us who actually put some effort into the class.

  2. #2
    In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    2,722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sux, and I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. But there is one silver lining. After you graduate and move on to the next thing, no one--AND I MEAN NO ONE--will care about what grade this joker gave you.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

  3. #3
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now you have learned that doing the "right" thing is different from doing the "smart" thing. If you can get a nice grade without busting your ass in a course. Why do so? I'd refocus that elsewhere (other courses, girls etc.)

    I understand where you're coming from and i've been in a similar situation, think.

  4. #4
    Virtulized geek MsMittens's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    NYC, NY
    My Bikes
    Modified Davinci (single speed) and custom Gunnar Rock Tour
    Posts
    523
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm the last one to complain about a professor, because I think you get what you deserve, but it is just plain wrong to reward the people who slack off and ignore those of us who actually put some effort into the class.
    So go to the Dean or your counsellor to complain. Or even RateMyProfessor.Com so that others can be warned of his behaviour.

  5. #5
    On Your Right ZackJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    1,422
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bummer, but look on the bright side, once you take the final you're finished with the class. Good luck with your studies and congrats on an excellent GPA!
    "You never fail, you simply produce results. Learn from these" - Anonymous

  6. #6
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    It sux, and I don't blame you for feeling the way you do. But there is one silver lining. After you graduate and move on to the next thing, no one--AND I MEAN NO ONE--will care about what grade this joker gave you.
    Well, yes and no. I really need to keep above a 3.75 due to future career goals, since these are my last Criminal Justice courses, these are my last "guaranteed A's" as I no longer will know any of my professors, or know the subjects intimately.

  7. #7
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lauren
    The whole GPA thing is entirely over rated.
    Try telling that to a federal employer.

    (especially when it will allow me to skip about 3 pay grades up)

  8. #8
    Proshpero jnbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    My Bikes
    Fixed Surly CrossCheck, Redline Conquest Pro
    Posts
    712
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a professor that gave a one-sentence summary of the class the first day, and basically never elaborated on the point: Hundreds of pages of assigned reading never discussed; lectures consisted of him reading newspaper clippings that he thought pertinent for an hour, followed by anecdotes; assignments were easy but not relevant. Bad teachers are worse than a waste of time: They take away value from your education.

    That said, what I hear is you having certain high expectations of yourself, and this teacher making it hard/near impossible to meet those. My own experience is that, even if what you say is true, if it is still an issue one, two or five years from now, it will only be because you are still carrying it around, not because it hurt you in the long run.

  9. #9
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wait a second... we're supposed to actually learn something in university???? Holy ****!!

  10. #10
    Footballus vita est iamlucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel
    Try telling that to a federal employer.

    (especially when it will allow me to skip about 3 pay grades up)
    Seriously? Nothing against you, but the difference between a 3.74 student and a 3.76 student does not justify a 3 pay grade distinction. I'd say one pay grade only because a distinction has to be made somewhere. Or are you talking about the government GS scale where each level has like 10 different sub-levels so that 3 grades really means a change of like $1500/year?

    Once you've gotten an interview, however, your GPA isn't going to be nearly as important as your ability to communicate and work well with others and handle whatever the professional tasks are they're asking you to handle. Think about your resume. How much space does your GPA take up? One line. If GPA really were that important, your resume would be the same as your transcript.

    Regardless, you've got a 3.9, and you seem concerned about keeping above a 3.75. If you've done that well through the end of your junior year, I'd say you should have have little trouble maintaining it for another year, as long as you keep your motivation up. Good luck with it.
    "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad

  11. #11
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The distinction is actually at 3.5, but as of late I'm told they don't even interview below 3.75 for the particular branch I'm interested in.

    This is the GS pay scale, but once you get to 7-13 the differences are substantial, and instead of going 7, 8, 9, 10... you generally get 7, 9, 11..

    Anyway, yes, I'm anal. The whole A/B/C thing hadn't bothered me much, until I heard about this review/bonus points (10.. I'm told, an entire letter grade. When I heard this, I was a hair's breadth from breaking something) which seems entirely unfair.

  12. #12
    Upgrading my engine DXchulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    5,675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You skipped class, so you'll pay the price. If you really care about your grades that much, go to class.

    Sounds like you're about to learn a lesson the hard way. That's fine though. Those are the things you'll actually remember once finals are done.

  13. #13
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for not actually getting the point of the post, DX.

    I don't know about you, but I dont make a 1hr+ round trip for a <1hr class that has proven to be a total disappointment.

  14. #14
    Guest
    Guest
    Go see the professor. I made a point of knowing my professors and letting them see me every class. I sat up front, and if I missed class due to illness, then I let them know. If I were ever teetering between 2 grades, I always got the higher grade just because they knew me and thought I was a hard worker who took them and their classes seriously.

    Koffee

  15. #15
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by koffee brown
    Go see the professor. I made a point of knowing my professors and letting them see me every class. I sat up front, and if I missed class due to illness, then I let them know. If I were ever teetering between 2 grades, I always got the higher grade just because they knew me and thought I was a hard worker who took them and their classes seriously.

    Koffee
    Actually, the sad (annoying? stupid? I don't know) thing is I DO know the professor, we used to get along great, and I've even used him as a professional reference on a couple of occasions. I think if I said something to him one on one it might give the impression that I was trying to abuse that relationship. Like I said, I think you get what you deserve in a class.

    My problem with this situation is that a lot of people who DON'T deserve the grade will get it merely because they attended at the right time, a time which is particular to slackers. I've had plenty of professors give extra credit for attendance on particular days, usually I got it, sometimes I didn't, but I've never complained before because it was usually geared towards a day when only the dedicated were there.

  16. #16
    Upgrading my engine DXchulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Reno
    Posts
    5,675
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel
    Thanks for not actually getting the point of the post, DX.

    I don't know about you, but I dont make a 1hr+ round trip for a <1hr class that has proven to be a total disappointment.
    The point is that you're *****ing about something that was your fault. I guess that class wasn't a disappointment in the end, was it? Maybe you haven't learned the lesson after all. You pay for the class, so why not go? The fact is that you'll never know what you might miss on any given day. Aside from good reviews and extra credit, any given class might offer that little bit of clarification that makes things make sense. Besides, college is preparation for life. You think you're going to want to go to work every day? Sometimes you're going to have to suck it up and go when you don't feel like it. By skipping classes now you're developing a bad habit that's going to hurt you down the road.

    1 hr+ trip? That's also your fault. You scheduled the class. You chose where to live and what university to attend. If those arrangements are a big enough inconvenience to make you skip classes, then maybe you should make new arrangements. Or maybe you should show some discipline.

    And if you knew all these "slackers" would show up on the last day, why did you skip and give them an advantage? You played a part in rewarding the "slackers" by not showing up.

  17. #17
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DXchulo
    The point is that you're *****ing about something that was your fault. I guess that class wasn't a disappointment in the end, was it? Maybe you haven't learned the lesson after all. You pay for the class, so why not go? The fact is that you'll never know what you might miss on any given day. Aside from good reviews and extra credit, any given class might offer that little bit of clarification that makes things make sense. Besides, college is preparation for life. You think you're going to want to go to work every day? Sometimes you're going to have to suck it up and go when you don't feel like it. By skipping classes now you're developing a bad habit that's going to hurt you down the road.

    1 hr+ trip? That's also your fault. You scheduled the class. You chose where to live and what university to attend. If those arrangements are a big enough inconvenience to make you skip classes, then maybe you should make new arrangements. Or maybe you should show some discipline.

    And if you knew all these "slackers" would show up on the last day, why did you skip and give them an advantage? You played a part in rewarding the "slackers" by not showing up.
    No, like I said, the class is totally a disappointment because (as I mentioned in the first post) his method gives those who do no work the exact same chances as those who do every bit of work.

    You act like I've never done an honest days work. No discipline? Thats odd.
    I've had a job since I was 16 years old. I worked every weekend, every holiday, and every summer. I've even had a full time job (GASP!) where I worked nights, in a jail no less. I think thats discipline.

    Yep, I pay for class. I also paid for both trucks I've owned, insurance, and gas. I picked where I went to school? Where I live? Hmm. No I think my parents picked where I live, and my budget picked my school.

    You make a lot of assumptions based on a lot of nothing. I've defended myself against you far more than you warrant. Come back and chat when you can display the discipline I do.

    You'll see that nowhere did I "place blame" on anyone. I know this could have been averted if I had gone, sure. It also could have been averted if I had learned one thing worthwhile in that class all semester (and it is a required course) or been tested over things that actually pertained to the subject.

  18. #18
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boo-hoo!

    I'm seeing lessons learned on many facets here. You seem to be focused on what you think you didn't learn and are loosing sight of what the lesson clearly was all about. Embrace that lesson and apply it to your final year... apply it to you life.

  19. #19
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have the right to complain about trying and not learning anything in a class I paid for?

    I don't have the right to believe that grades should be indicative of ones effort in the class?

    k.

  20. #20
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel
    I don't have the right to complain about trying and not learning anything in a class I paid for?

    I don't have the right to believe that grades should be indicative of ones effort in the class?

    k.

    Oh, you have a right to complain about anything you'd like. However Grasshopper, the lesson to learn isn't always the one you think is being taught.

    You can believe too, anything you wish. Religion shows us that. Though keep in mind, that which you believe just might not be the truth.

    I'm sorry I can't give you the "warm fuzzies" and "poor babies" you came seeking. Now buck up, stop wasting your education dollars and learn your lessons.

  21. #21
    Senior Member rule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wylie, Texas
    Posts
    1,922
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is so like the man.

    They have a saying out in East Texas that I really like. "It's what you learn when you think you know it all that's most important." This would be one of those instances. Take what you can from it and move on. The world doesn't always play fair big guy. Best learn to deal with it sometime.

  22. #22
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh. I've cooled off now. After talking to some people other people who went, it appears there were only 'regulars' there for the review. Being the elitist that I am, this doesn't bother me.

    Like I've been trying to say (but maybe didn't come off so well in the initial post) this wasn't so much about me not getting the boon, but those who in no way, shape, or form deserve it, getting one.

    And to those of you who say "wah life isn't fair," thanks for the advice, Confucius. Doesn't mean it isn't frustrating.

  23. #23
    Gravel for Breakfast
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Inside my scabs
    My Bikes
    Jake
    Posts
    1,486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrel
    it is just plain wrong to reward the people who slack off and ignore those of us who actually put some effort into the class.
    Gangrel, two thoughts:

    I know you cherish your perfect record, but try to keep things in perspective. A GPA is only a number.

    Secondly, after college comes real life, and that is where you will eat those slackers alive.
    Sin after sin I have endured, but the wounds I bear are the wounds of love.

  24. #24
    Tour de DFW
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Texas
    My Bikes
    '05 Cervelo Soloist
    Posts
    472
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, like I said before.. GPA is pretty important at a certain point in my potential career.


    It's funny, though, I was never a GPA wh*re until I realized I had a good one.

  25. #25
    Senior Member ajay677's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    For the record, I am not now, nor have I ever been, an idiot.
    Posts
    500
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does your school collect and publish ratings for it's professors? Many universities here do that. At the end of the semester, students are given evaluation sheets, in class, and rate their instructor. These ratings are published so future students can make an informed decision about the intructors they will be having.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •