Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: Car commercials

  1. #26
    No Rocket Surgeon eubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona and S. El Monte, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Scout troop has had some fun with commercials, when you recognize where they were filmed.

    Many car commercials are filmed at Coyote Dry Lake outside of Barstow, CA. You've probably seen those cars speeding across the flat lake bed.

    We cycled around the whole lake one year! Very weird. Lots of fun.

  2. #27
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monogodo
    Incorrect.
    They've been making cars for 102 years, not 97.



    From ABOUT.COM:"Ford incorporated the Ford Motor Company in 1903, proclaiming, "I will build a car for the great multitude." In October 1908, he did so, offering the Model T for $950."


    To me that's 97. But hey... you win

  3. #28
    Giggity giggity! Dirtbike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Danville, Ca
    My Bikes
    Yeti DJ Custom build. X.9, Marzocchi, RaceFace, Gamut, DT, Truvativ, Michelin, Hope.
    Posts
    1,800
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed ALOT of commercials for that new lincoln truck. I watched it so many times, but cant even remember the name of the truck! I love the commercials for "Poser Mobile" those crack me up.
    Rides: 06 Demo8 II, Yeti DJ
    Pin it baby!

  4. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    My Bikes
    Electra Townie 7D
    Posts
    3,398
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are all open to suggestion, some more than others.

    Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions.

    What's in your mind is what you'll most likely buy.

    Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions.

    If advertising didn't work, it wouldn't be done.

    Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions.

  5. #30
    NFL Owner monogodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Irving Heritage District
    My Bikes
    7-Eleven Eddy Merckx, Vitus Futural, Catamount FRS, Colnago SL, SS MTB
    Posts
    1,485
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacey
    From ABOUT.COM:"Ford incorporated the Ford Motor Company in 1903, proclaiming, "I will build a car for the great multitude." In October 1908, he did so, offering the Model T for $950."


    To me that's 97. But hey... you win
    From www.ford.com:
    Ford Motor Company entered the business world on June 16, 1903, when Henry Ford and 11 business associates signed the company's articles of incorporation. With $28,000 in cash, the pioneering industrialists gave birth to what was to become one of the world's largest corporations. Few companies are as closely identified with the history and development of industry and society throughout the 20th century as Ford Motor Company.
    As with most great enterprises, Ford Motor Company's beginnings were modest. The company had anxious moments in its infancy. The earliest record of a shipment is July 20, 1903, approximately one month after incorporation, to a Detroit physician.


    06/20/1903 to 05/18/2005 = one month shy of 102 years.
    198? Colnago Super (Campy Record) | 1989 Eddy Merckx 7-Eleven Team Issue (Dura Ace) | Catamount MFS (1x8) | Top Image Neptune (SS)

  6. #31
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did pretty good without TV commercials for the first 50 years of their existence then, eh?

  7. #32
    Work hard, Play hard forum*rider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    San Diego, California
    My Bikes
    Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)
    Posts
    2,596
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scottogo
    We are all open to suggestion, some more than others.

    Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions.

    What's in your mind is what you'll most likely buy.

    Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions.

    If advertising didn't work, it wouldn't be done.

    Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions. Send $5 for more opinions.

    I sense that there's some kind of subliminal message here, but I can't quite figure it out

  8. #33
    No Rocket Surgeon eubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona and S. El Monte, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    forum*rider, next time I'm in San Diego I will leave $5 under the arch at Hepner Hall at SDSU.

    I have no idea why I want to do this...

  9. #34
    No Rocket Surgeon eubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona and S. El Monte, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my favorite cartoonists is H.T.Webster. He was popular in the 30's and 40's (No, I'm not THAT old!).

    I remember one cartoon where the young granddaughter is sitting on the grandfather's lap.

    Grandfather: I didn't listen to the radio when I was young, they didn't have any.

    Granddaughter: Then how did they sell soap?

  10. #35
    Still Newbie way124's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    My Bikes
    A 1992 Norco road bike
    Posts
    237
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't even have a TV. I find them annoying.

  11. #36
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The US auto industry is hurting big time. When they're hurting they sell harder.

  12. #37
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO, they'd be better off if they put their $$$s into better designs and higher quality construction of their vehicles, and not into advertising. A good product will sell itself.

  13. #38
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by randya
    IMO, they'd be better off if they put their $$$s into better designs and higher quality construction of their vehicles, and not into advertising. A good product will sell itself.
    I think they need to do both. It's pretty obvious that the consumer mindset is heavily swayed by the car-culture that the auto-industry has promoted over the last 60 or so years. If we were to hold them somewhat accountable and expect them to make some kind of "ethical" consideration, then we should also expect them to spend some of their money on advertising the benefits of more economical, safer and better designs as well as promoting alternative fuels and alternative forms of transportation. Any industry group has a certain obligation to social engineering as well as product engineering.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  14. #39
    Senior Member nick burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Absecon, NJ
    My Bikes
    Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khuon
    I think they need to do both.
    Hypothetical question:

    If the car companies did absolutely no advertising whatsoever, how would that influence the car purchasing public?



    Most people seem to believe they need automobiles. I bet the same number of vehicles would be purchased, regardless of whether there was advertising or not.

  15. #40
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw an advert for some Dodge product on TV last night, they were showing the driver drag racing the vehicle up to and into a toll booth... Need I say "stupid and irresponsible"....?

  16. #41
    DEADBEEF khuon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA
    My Bikes
    1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte
    Posts
    12,155
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick burns
    Hypothetical question:

    If the car companies did absolutely no advertising whatsoever, how would that influence the car purchasing public?



    Most people seem to believe they need automobiles. I bet the same number of vehicles would be purchased, regardless of whether there was advertising or not.
    I don't entirely agree. People will still drive but they might not purchase. The car companies are not going to continue or even start making vehicles that the consumers won't buy. Many consumers are skeptical or ignorant about alternative fuels, designs and transportation technology. If we were to assume that the car-culture will continue to be prevalent then we have to assume that people will still drive cars and if they don't see anything on the market they like then they'll probably continue driving their current cars. If they're not buying the new "better" cars then the car companies will chalk that up to a failure to market and barring better marketting advertisement, they'll pull the design and go back to what was selling. Ethical marketting and advertisement also includes education.
    1999 K2 OzM 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte OCP Club Member
    "Be liberal in what you accept, and conservative in what you send." -- Jon Postel, RFC1122

  17. #42
    Senior Member nick burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Absecon, NJ
    My Bikes
    Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600
    Posts
    2,941
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by khuon
    If we were to assume that the car-culture will continue to be prevalent then we have to assume that people will still drive cars and if they don't see anything on the market they like then they'll probably continue driving their current cars. If they're not buying the new "better" cars then the car companies will chalk that up to a failure to market and barring better marketting advertisement, they'll pull the design and go back to what was selling.
    Possibly. Or the auto companies will design the cars to be even more disposable than they are now. Make them wear faster & cost more to repair. The consumer will get nickle & dimed to death by repair costs, get fed up & buy a new car. That happens now.

  18. #43
    Senior Member phinney's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
    Posts
    748
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cars being produced now are the best they've ever been. It wasn't many years ago when 100,000 miles was considered a-lot. Now 150,000 doesn't seem like much. The efficiency, emissions, comfort, and function have all continually improved as well.

    The car designs are driven mostly by government regulation and legal liability. Only a little wiggle room after those constraints are satisfied.

    IMHO the SUV phenomenom was a direct result of government regulation. Because of regulation the cost of the average car was greatly increased. This made the less regulated light truck class vehicle more affordable compared to the average car. The SUV was also an arena where the domestic manufacturers had an early advantage because of their existing base of light truck vehicles. Oh well, it's all more complex than that but again, IMHO, this is part of the explanation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •