Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-05, 05:57 PM   #1
konageezer
Gravel for Breakfast
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Inside my scabs
Bikes: Jake
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do folks seem a tad… adversarial?

It appears to me that a lot of the threads that endure past two pages—especially the "how-to" and advocacy varieties—often lead to conflicting opinion, and some to outright acrimony.

I realize that diverse opinions are the lifeblood of any lively discussion, but offerings like "I got run off the road by a car" almost invariably evoke at least one response suggesting it was the writer's fault.

Offerings like "I got run off the road by a car while wearing headphones" invariably bring out the "What have headphones got to do with it?" crowd.

Some one who posts "Since I got run off the road by a car while wearing headphones, my headphones are now full of gravel. What's the best way to clean them?" soon initiates a clash of opinion as to the proper methods, with people quoting sources, and trashing others' sources as obsolete and elitist. Some maintain, of course, that the writer deserves to have headphones full of gravel.

I guess I expected more commonality. So far the only universal opinion seems to be "Bicycle thieves should get life in front of a firing squad, and I should get to kick them."

Thoughts?
konageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 06:00 PM   #2
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to America in the 21st century.
randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 07:27 PM   #3
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I could, i'd murder every single person who disagreed with me. Oh yeah. I would. You better watch out.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 07:28 PM   #4
Blackberry
In Memory of One Cool Cat
 
Blackberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Charlottesville, VA
Bikes: Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
Posts: 2,722
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can't say you're wrong. It can be a real mixed bag. Until I read the Advoacy Forum, I never knew people could get so charged up about bike lanes. And don't even think of starting another chain lube war.

But I've also read many thoughtful, hilarious and even helpful posts as well.

On a postive note, I've given away some equipment to young cash-strapped kids on the "Pay It Forward" thread, which made me feel good and helped clear out my bike shed. And I've gotten some good advice and a lot of laughs from some of the regulars (and, um, slightly irregulars) here. And more to the point, how often do you get to interact with a Russian Supermodel from Pottsylvania? That's gotta be worth something.
__________________
Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.
Blackberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 07:31 PM   #5
LordOpie
Senior Member
 
LordOpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Denver
Bikes: 2006 custom Walt Works roadie, 2003 Fuji Finest (road), 2002 Giant Iguana (mtb), 1986 BMW K75 (motor)
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
If I could, i'd murder every single person who disagreed with me. Oh yeah. I would. You better watch out.
oh man, if I only had a dime for every time I agreed with you!
LordOpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 08:50 PM   #6
Sprocket Man
Prefers Aluminum
 
Sprocket Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Honolulu
Bikes: Wife: Trek 5200, C'dale Rush Feminine, Vitus 979 Me: Felt S25, Cervelo Soloist, C'dale Killer V500, Miyata Pro (fixie)
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If we all agreed and were always polite, this forum would suck and I wouldn't contribute. I think a lot of others feel the same.
Sprocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 08:56 PM   #7
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Bikes: Affirmative
Posts: 12,380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Die.













TheKillerPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:15 PM   #8
Guest
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Bite me!










Nah. Just kidding. But seriously, it seems like the normal amount of animosity. I haven't seen a big zoom of complaints flooding in about other members.

Koffee
  Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:23 PM   #9
pitboss
cxmagazine dot com
 
pitboss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: WI
Bikes: Titus road, Fort CX
Posts: 8,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
it seems fitting though actually. you will always have someone who grinds against the "flow" or established direction of a conversation) and this is for a variety of reason. Namely - their opinion.
Additionally, this place is just like a cross-section of the "real" (non-binary) world, so it would appear normal that there is dissention and separation in longer discussions that are allowed to develop.
I have also noticed how threads tend to drag on, page after page, with nothing of interest to me. So I stop reading them. That is happening a lot lately too. Spring fever? Who knows. Outside is much nicer than inside lately. I get to listen to myself out there.
pitboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:32 PM   #10
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I noticed the same things as 165. Once a thread, imo, has been answered I stop going there. Then I notice weeks later it is still running...how?...hahaha

I honestly think it is due to the success of the site. So many different types of people from a-types down to pretty submissive people. From Staunch repubs to green party members, from fixies to bents. I think this site works really well for having such a diverse group of people ...

That and people need to ride more
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:33 PM   #11
megaman
Approaching Nirvana
 
megaman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Tomah, WI
Bikes: Catrike Expedition
Posts: 1,223
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's sort of like my brother and me. While we disagree on a lot of things. And I tried to beat him up in my youth(even though he was 6 inches taller and 40 lbs. heavier). When push comes to shove we will go bat for one another. Sure he's still a big jerk sometimes. And I tell him so.
It is comforting to go someplace and complain about something. Even if they don't agree with you, you understand they have the same background to understand. That's why this is a communitee.
__________________
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
-- Albert Einstein
megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:37 PM   #12
jeff williams
I couldn't car less.
 
jeff williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Bikes: Ritchey P-series prototype, Diamondback, Nishiki Triathelon Pro.
Posts: 4,395
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would slap your unwashed face with slvoids rotten glove that I picked out of his trash for saying such nasty things.

I also most likely dislike your choice of bicycle, as it is dissimilar to mine.

I had to add 2 nuts to my bars as I stripped one alu thread.
I can't find THE only hex key (loose) that unscrews my grips....

Q? etiquette ..how best do I treat sores on my prosterior related to cycling do tell?
I hope you're kidding, this is a nice forum ..and you don't want me to invite my friends to hang around here dishing out the 'tough love'.
FIGHT!

Last edited by jeff williams; 05-18-05 at 11:23 AM.
jeff williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 09:44 PM   #13
celticfrost
Raising the Abyss
 
celticfrost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: TTing on the MUP
Bikes: Expensive ones that I ride slowly
Posts: 3,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
If I could, i'd murder every single person who disagreed with me. Oh yeah. I would. You better watch out.
I'd do the same, but then I'd be all alone

So at the very least, I'd preserve a few (about 8 or 9) hot, dissenting women to keep me "company". Of course, they'd be in cages though.
__________________
"...in Las Vegas where -the electric bills are staggering -the decor hog wild -and the entertainment saccharine -what a golden age -what a time of right and reason -the consumer's king -and unhappiness is treason..."
celticfrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 11:48 PM   #14
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,934
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticfrost
I'd do the same, but then I'd be all alone
Could be a problem if you were schizophrenic... who'd kill whom first? Imagine that argument inside your head!
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-05, 11:49 PM   #15
Rowan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 14,934
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman
It's sort of like my brother and me. While we disagree on a lot of things. And I tried to beat him up in my youth(even though he was 6 inches taller and 40 lbs. heavier). When push comes to shove we will go bat for one another. Sure he's still a big jerk sometimes. And I tell him so.
It is comforting to go someplace and complain about something. Even if they don't agree with you, you understand they have the same background to understand. That's why this is a communitee.
This is at work in the best possible way in Advocacy and Safety right now... with Torrin's situation.
Rowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 07:59 AM   #16
eubi
No Rocket Surgeon
 
eubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Corona and S. El Monte, CA
Bikes: Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
Posts: 1,648
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You don't know what you are talking about.

1. Studies show that these forums are not the least bit adversarial.

Smith, John. "All is Fine in Bike Forums", 2003.
Smith, Tom. "I Agree, Everything is Fine.", 2004.
Ping, Li. "Peace and Enlightenment in the Bike Forums. 2005.

2. If you had bothered to do a search, you would find that this topic has been addressed a number of times before.

You should hang up your cell phone while you're driving your 4X4 SUV and pay attention.
eubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 09:35 AM   #17
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hahaa eubi.

Good one.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 10:05 AM   #18
phinney
Senior Member
 
phinney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: West Michigan
Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb
Posts: 748
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Working on my confrontational skills.
phinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 10:35 AM   #19
colinm
Minneapolis
 
colinm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Just under Minneapolis
Bikes: 1998 Stumpjumper Pro, SE Draft, 1984 Bianchi ATB, 1980? Raleigh Comp GS, Civia Loring
Posts: 873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shut up, all of you.
colinm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 11:32 AM   #20
konageezer
Gravel for Breakfast
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Inside my scabs
Bikes: Jake
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubi
You don't know what you are talking about.

1. Studies show that these forums are not the least bit adversarial.

Smith, John. "All is Fine in Bike Forums", 2003.
Smith, Tom. "I Agree, Everything is Fine.", 2004.
Ping, Li. "Peace and Enlightenment in the Bike Forums. 2005.

2. If you had bothered to do a search, you would find that this topic has been addressed a number of times before.

You should hang up your cell phone while you're driving your 4X4 SUV and pay attention.
Okay, in the first place, I NEVER search. "Live in the moment," that's my motto. (I think this is an improvement over my old motto, "Live in the basement.")

That being said, I did fail to realize that everything is fine. I didn't even know there were studies. So that's good, then, right?

Finally, the only reason I GOT this SUV in the first place was so that I could talk on my cell phone while driving. And type this on my laptop while I'm stopped at this light. And eat this Egg McMuffin©. Oh, crap, I dropped it. Oww, that burns. Damn. Does egg come out of velour? Oh, hang on, I gotta take this call…
konageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-05, 11:39 AM   #21
nick burns
Senior Member
 
nick burns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Absecon, NJ
Bikes: Puch Luzern, Puch Mistral SLE, Bianchi Pista, Motobecane Grand Touring, Austro-Daimler Ultima, Legnano, Raleigh MountainTour, Cannondale SM600
Posts: 2,943
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by konageezer
And eat this Egg McMuffin©. Oh, crap, I dropped it. Oww, that burns. Damn. Does egg come out of velour?
Cool! Now you can sue McDonalds. Egg McMuffins shouldn't be hot enough to burn you after all. Don't forget to add in the cost of velour replacement.
nick burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-05, 02:10 PM   #22
PainTrain
No pain, no gain.
 
PainTrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: California's Gold That's Amazing!
Bikes: Trek 7100, Windsor Fens
Posts: 513
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by konageezer
Okay, in the first place, I NEVER search. "Live in the moment," that's my motto.
Search don't matter. If you post on the thread you find, you get slammed for bumping an old post.

It's all been said. There's no such thing as an original thought. Just search the old posts and stfu already.
PainTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 10:48 AM   #23
konageezer
Gravel for Breakfast
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Inside my scabs
Bikes: Jake
Posts: 1,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PainTrain
Just search the old posts and stfu already.
Well, aren't you precious? Your mom must be so proud.
konageezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 01:06 PM   #24
CdCf
Videre non videri
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike
Posts: 3,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?


1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.
CdCf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-05, 01:10 PM   #25
lala
contrarian
 
lala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: CO Springs
Bikes: 80's ross road bike/commuter, 80's team miyata, 90's haro mtb xtracycle conversion, koga mitaya world traveler
Posts: 2,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdCf
How many forum members does it takes to change a light bulb?


1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed
14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light bulb could have been changed differently
7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs
1 to move it to the Lighting section
2 to argue then move it to the Electricals section
7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs
5 to flame the spell checkers
3 to correct spelling/grammar flames
6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid
2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"
15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb" is perfectly correct
19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this discussion to a lightbulb forum
11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum
36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty
7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs
4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's
3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group
13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add "Me too"
5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the light bulb controversy
4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"
13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"
1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start it all over again.


Me too!

(You forgot the photos of the lightbulbs...err, lamps!)
__________________
Higher ground for the apocalypse!
lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 PM.