Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Beer and Bicycles. (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/111086-beer-bicycles.html)

Turnip 06-02-05 12:01 AM

Beer and Bicycles.
 
So I went in today to put down a deposit on my new custom bike. Yay!!!! However, there was one little detail that I overlooked completely. They asked me if I wanted a bottle opener welded to the seatstay of my bicycle. Apparently they do that on all of their custom touring frames. I was so taken aback. I'd thought about headsets and hubs and paint jobs (lime green with sparkles, no decals), but bottle openers?! I certainly don't NEED it and I generally prefer a minimal aesthetic. On the other hand, it could come in handy every now and then and, well it would just be fun. What do you guys think? I'd love to hear your opinions.

redfooj 06-02-05 12:07 AM

extremely cheesy ... plays into the whole im so hip i drink so much alcohol '1 gear more beer' deal

carry a swiss army kuhnive or learn how to open bottles w/o a proper opener

potus 06-02-05 12:11 AM

yea, not a fan either. if you actually used it I think it would muck up the paint. plus finding something to open a bottle usually isn't that difficult. lighter? teeth? another bottle? etc. etc. etc.

Turnip 06-02-05 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redfooj
extremely cheesy ... plays into the whole im so hip i drink so much alcohol '1 gear more beer' deal

Hmm. I hadn't even thought of that. Good to know that this perception is out there. I don't even drink beer and lord knows I'm not hip. I just think it's funny.

crushkilldstroy 06-02-05 12:26 AM

cannondale used to (maybe still does) make a single speed mountain bike with a bottle opener built into the left dropout. not that i care or anything.

Mouton 06-02-05 12:49 AM

I own five cannondale x138 single speed mountainbikes that each have a bottle opener on the left drop out. not that I care either ;)

crushkilldstroy 06-02-05 12:56 AM

so yeah. i guess nobody cares.

someone should forward this info to cannondale.

potus 06-02-05 01:46 AM

what kind of custom are you having built?

redfooj 06-02-05 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turnip
Hmm. I hadn't even thought of that. Good to know that this perception is out there. I don't even drink beer and lord knows I'm not hip. I just think it's funny.

i think that that sticker comes standard on all new SS MTBs

lilHinault 06-02-05 02:22 AM

Fat Tire Ale is overhyped, give me Sierra Nevada Pale anytime.

And I can't even imagine chocking down PBR unless I'd been riding (messengering?) all day and anything remotely drinkable/eatable would not be safe around me. Maybe that's the idea behind PBR.

delay 06-02-05 02:35 AM

honestly, why doesn't anyone realize that the "deal" behind pbr is ACTUALLY because it is cheap. It was 1 dollar tonight. I was supposed to feel better about myself if I drank something 5 times as expensive? Thats just rediculous. If you don't see this, you honestly don't ACTUALLY drink that much.

(yes, it is 3:35 in the am, yes, I have been drinking...I will say in advance that I am sorry for any beligerence)

williamw 06-02-05 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delay
honestly, why doesn't anyone realize that the "deal" behind pbr is ACTUALLY because it is cheap. It was 1 dollar tonight. I was supposed to feel better about myself if I drank something 5 times as expensive? Thats just rediculous. If you don't see this, you honestly don't ACTUALLY drink that much.

Or you probably have a steady income....

On my last new bike I skipped the bottle opener but took the pie warmer. There's nothing like warm pie after a long ride.

Rowan 06-02-05 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delay
(yes, it is 3:35 in the am, yes, I have been drinking...I will say in advance that I am sorry for any beligerence)

And beerligerence, too... :D

halfbiked 06-02-05 08:57 AM

Seems to me like the seatstay would be much more convenient than the dropout. If you're sitting on anything other than the ground, or standing (or riding) the seatstay opener will be much more accessible. Same thing for stay mounted opener vs. having to dig in pocket or improvise.

EnLaCalle 06-02-05 09:41 AM

If it's a custom touring frame like you said in the beginning, and you're going to tour on it, you should have a leatherman or gerber tool or something of the sort with you (lest youre out of yer mind). And it should be one of the things in your packs that's easily and readily accessbile (i.e. at the top of the pannier or in a seat or bar bag) But if someone likes the opener welded onto bike thing, they should get it. there's too much worrying about what's "okay" or "cool" on a bike. anything that can maximize the funness of your bike and makes you happy is okay. no matter what. rainbow colored streamers, top-tube "warmers", air horns, training wheels, foldability. it's all good. have fun. ride bikes. personally, though, i wouldn't get it ;)

queerpunk 06-02-05 10:44 AM

2 things:

1. http://www.bikecult.com/works/archiv...jcoastTKJ.html

2. PBR is also union-made, on top of being cheap.

Turnip 06-02-05 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potus
what kind of custom are you having built?

An OX Platinum Rodrigez SS with road bike geometry and track ends maybe fixed some of the time, although I have another bike for that. Just a fun bike for riding all over Seattle. I'm sick of riding productions bikes that don't fit or kind of fit. It's only fun for half an hour or so and then it hurts. . .

Sorry to disappoint y'all about the beer thing. And as far at the "one-gear-more-beer" thing goes, you have to admit that there is some truth to it. Of course not everybody who rides a fixed gear fits into this category, but I used to be a messenger and out of all the kids I knew and worked with, there were very few who didn't drink every day after work, talk about beer frequently and compare hangovers a few mornings out of the week. I didn't think you'd be so indifferent to the question. Anyway, I decided to go without the bottle opener. Thanks for the input.

PainTrain 06-02-05 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilHinault
Fat Tire Ale is overhyped, give me Sierra Nevada Pale anytime.

And I can't even imagine chocking down PBR unless I'd been riding (messengering?) all day and anything remotely drinkable/eatable would not be safe around me. Maybe that's the idea behind PBR.

Upon moving to the Left Coast, the scales fell from my eyes and lo, I drank a Sierra Nevada. Never looked back.

My late uncle, rest his soul, was a PBR drinker. The standard joke at his house was,

"Wanna beer?"
"I'd love one, but I'll settle for one of those Pabsts."

muccapazza 06-02-05 11:58 AM

"Fat Tire Amber Ale? SIerra Nevada Pale Ale? F**k that s**t! PABST BLUE RIBBON!"
-Frank from Blue Velvet, actually responding to Jeffrey saying he liked Heinekin, not those micro brews.

khuon 06-02-05 12:14 PM

This is a Rodriguez hallmark on their touring frames. Personally, I'd do it but then I'm a beer-fan.

http://www.rodcycle.com/catalog/bottle_opener.gif

:beer:

halfbiked 06-02-05 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khuon
This is a Rodriguez hallmark on their touring frames. Personally, I'd do it but then I'm a beer-fan.

http://www.rodcycle.com/catalog/bottle_opener.gif

I LIKE IT!

SpiderMike 06-02-05 02:58 PM

"between you and your brother, beer goes with anything." - My father, after seeing the modified derailler hanger on the Cannondale 1FG.

I don't need no stinking bottle opener. I just need to get a rack to carry the ice chest. 12-14 bucks for a case of Lone Star Light (cans), or 4 bucks for the sixer (tall boy cans).

Karldar 06-03-05 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PainTrain
Upon moving to the Left Coast, the scales fell from my eyes and lo, I drank a Sierra Nevada. Never looked back.

My late uncle, rest his soul, was a PBR drinker. The standard joke at his house was,

"Wanna beer?"
"I'd love one, but I'll settle for one of those Pabsts."


:roflmao: Classic! Too late, I know, but I'd get a bottle opener on my bike--even if I didn't drink beer(or sarsparilla). Didn't realize it was so prevalent amongst SS/fixed bikes.

halfbiked 06-03-05 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpiderMike
I don't need no stinking bottle opener. I just need to get a rack to carry the ice chest. 12-14 bucks for a case of Lone Star Light (cans), or 4 bucks for the sixer (tall boy cans).

I'm telling you, the extrabike is a helluva way to haul around the brews. Went for a ride with some guys the other day & that thing came in very handy. Another option is a trailer like a BOB, but I think the extrabike is probably easier to ride.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 PM.