Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    A custom made PCB, price estimate?

    Say a guy wanted a custom made PCB for a project. Nicely made, accurately done. Nothing too complex, maybe like
    3"x4" size. What does one expect to pay for this?
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  2. #2
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one could give you a very accurate estimate without more details...possibly a ball park. But to be honest....the one thing I can tell you is that its probably more than you want to pay.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  3. #3
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh im not paying anything or planning on bying any PCB's. Im just thinking of a way to use up some components in my basement
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  4. #4
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Learn the laserprinter transfer method of board etching, and make your own.

    To get a PCB custom fabbed for you would be incredibly expensive, since there will be a design cost, a tooling cost, and a minimum quanitity cost. Prototyping lines are even sorse, since in my experience, their quality is often spotty (and I am talking about big-wigs in the industry here when i say this, so imagine the pains of dealing with smaller shops).

    Laserprinter transfer method is a far faster, far cheaper way for you to get one or two boards made...plus learning to design your own boards could be pretty fun.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  5. #5
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How many layers is it, are there a lot of vias, how would you like it arranged, will it carry comm or line or both, etc etc.
    Anywhere from 50 to 5000 bucks...

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    Say a guy wanted a custom made PCB for a project. Nicely made, accurately done. Nothing too complex, maybe like
    3"x4" size. What does one expect to pay for this?

  6. #6
    Senior Member nodnerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wpg. Manitoba
    My Bikes
    Mountain Cycle Rumble. Mostly xt and raceface built. Dirt Jumper 3. Avid BB7s.
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are online sites where you can send in your own pcb files and they will manufacture it for you. I can't remember what file extension you'll need though. Probably .dxf. You can probably find a simple circuit board cad program online. But yeah, having a one off circuit board made would cost alot for a small home project.
    At my work we have a PCB mill for porototype circuit boards. It's pretty cool but difficult to learn and if you don't use it alot you have to relearn it every time.

    On a side note; You ask the most interesting questions. I do electronics, designing and machining at my job so it's always interesting to read these posts about router tables, taps and stepper motor drivers. YOu should check out qkits.com. They have kits you solder together yourself but are really cheap. Great for home projects.
    Your flashing cow head drives me nuts.
    Last edited by nodnerb; 01-05-06 at 09:30 PM.

  7. #7
    2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM slvoid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    NYC
    My Bikes
    04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
    Posts
    15,762
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, try pcbfabexpress.com
    They can do you an up to 20 square inch 2 layer board with a min of 5 pieces for $13 bucks each with free tooling. 4 layers is $33, 6 is $48 and 8 is $73. But this is only a promotional offer and it has a LOT of restrictions, like no cut outs, no weird routing, your surface mount stuff has to have more than 25 mil pitch, no gold and there's a min trace size.

    They want a gerber file. I know the dude at work's sent me gerber->dxf files but i'm not sure if you can go backwards if you design that in another package.

  8. #8
    Senior Member nodnerb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Wpg. Manitoba
    My Bikes
    Mountain Cycle Rumble. Mostly xt and raceface built. Dirt Jumper 3. Avid BB7s.
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In most programs I've used you can save as either Gerber or .dxf.

  9. #9
    Sore saddle cyclist Shifty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Eugene, OR
    My Bikes
    Road, touring and mountain
    Posts
    3,786
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slvoid
    OK, try pcbfabexpress.com
    They can do you an up to 20 square inch 2 layer board with a min of 5 pieces for $13 bucks each with free tooling. 4 layers is $33, 6 is $48 and 8 is $73. But this is only a promotional offer and it has a LOT of restrictions, like no cut outs, no weird routing, your surface mount stuff has to have more than 25 mil pitch, no gold and there's a min trace size.

    They want a gerber file. I know the dude at work's sent me gerber->dxf files but i'm not sure if you can go backwards if you design that in another package.
    Man that is cheap! Is that surface mount only, or can you have some through holes too? Damn, that's a good price for just a few boards.
    Those voices in your head aren't real, but they have some great ideas

  10. #10
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nodnerb
    There are online sites where you can send in your own pcb files and they will manufacture it for you. I can't remember what file extension you'll need though. Probably .dxf. You can probably find a simple circuit board cad program online. But yeah, having a one off circuit board made would cost alot for a small home project.
    At my work we have a PCB mill for porototype circuit boards. It's pretty cool but difficult to learn and if you don't use it alot you have to relearn it every time.

    On a side note; You ask the most interesting questions. I do electronics, designing and machining at my job so it's always interesting to read these posts about router tables, taps and stepper motor drivers. YOu should check out qkits.com. They have kits you solder together yourself but are really cheap. Great for home projects.
    Your flashing cow head drives me nuts.
    I've got plenty of stepper motors/drivers. Thats not really what i am after here. I am thinking of a way to use a few high quality ingredients kicking around down cellar. IM glad you find my posts somewhat interesting. Even though one would say this is the wrong place to ask, i get good replies almost always.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  11. #11
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    Learn the laserprinter transfer method of board etching, and make your own.

    To get a PCB custom fabbed for you would be incredibly expensive, since there will be a design cost, a tooling cost, and a minimum quanitity cost. Prototyping lines are even sorse, since in my experience, their quality is often spotty (and I am talking about big-wigs in the industry here when i say this, so imagine the pains of dealing with smaller shops).

    Laserprinter transfer method is a far faster, far cheaper way for you to get one or two boards made...plus learning to design your own boards could be pretty fun.
    I know that method, an extremely electrical savvy friend of mine taught me it. BUt i m looking into really nice green boards, with copper tracks, and perfect holes drilled, etc.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •