Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-09-06, 02:57 PM   #1
fifao
England, We Love You.....
Thread Starter
 
fifao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Extreme Frustration With Shoe Sizing!

Right, I just received a pair of Diadora soccer cleats from UPS. Size 10, and they don't fit very well. How did I choose size 10? My adidas cleats are 10s and they fit fine. My nike cleats are '10s' but are built have a size larger. So, basically 10.5, against the norm.

If there is a norm.

I guess this means go to the store and try on different size shoes to find the right size. But, I would be misusing the store if I did not buy from them, right? And I could get the same shoes fro $10 cheaper online and.....Anyway, you get my point. I find the shoe sizing system a frustration, because if you don't try a shoe on, it could be half a size 'off' either way.

I guess I'll return them. One more question, though. I have weird protrusions on each foot close the south end of my hamstring, just a single bump that juts out at the end. Almost every shoe I have tried hurts this bump, (even though a callous has formed); the catch is, it only hurts the bumb on the right, but not on the left.

Is this normal?
fifao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 03:00 PM   #2
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom
 
Lex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Secret Land of Goth Powerpuff Girls....
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Having not followed this completely, I'm gonna say no.

Go to the store and try the shoes on. End of story.
__________________
"I'm starting to have grave doubts about this thing I barely liked in the first place." Homer Simpson
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 03:00 PM   #3
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nothing abnormal....clothes are the same way. Have you never noticed it before?

A few years ago I ordered some pants online (all same waist and length). About 5 pair total.....I think 4 of them were even made by the same company. One was too tight to wear, two fit fine, two were baggy on me. I think four out of five of them were too long in the leg.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 03:04 PM   #4
fifao
England, We Love You.....
Thread Starter
 
fifao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I guess it could have been confusing. Thing is, my local sports store stocks only a few shoes, so a risk is in order for every order.

Interestingly enough, clothes are a lot more forgiving in size than soccer cleats. Have you ever played soccer with cleats? It requires an exact fit to make it comfortable. Shirts however, can have a little slack or such. Also, clothing items are much more plentiful in most towns, so one can just go and try some on.

Is it misusing the store to 'use' them and not buy from them?
fifao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 03:09 PM   #5
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom
 
Lex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Secret Land of Goth Powerpuff Girls....
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid14
Yeah, I guess it could have been confusing. Thing is, my local sports store stocks only a few shoes, so a risk is in order for every order.

Interestingly enough, clothes are a lot more forgiving in size than soccer cleats. Have you ever played soccer with cleats? It requires an exact fit to make it comfortable. Shirts however, can have a little slack or such. Also, clothing items are much more plentiful in most towns, so one can just go and try some on.

Is it misusing the store to 'use' them and not buy from them?

Having never played soccer at all I can safely say I've never played wearing cleats.

It is not misusing the store. You are using them to test an item from a maufactorer from whom they buy shoes.
__________________
"I'm starting to have grave doubts about this thing I barely liked in the first place." Homer Simpson
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 03:43 PM   #6
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nike was my saviour 15 years ago. Their "up" sizing was great for someone with size 15. Only one company had my size for almost 10 years...Nike.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 03:43 PM   #7
fifao
England, We Love You.....
Thread Starter
 
fifao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good point.

(sorry, I meant lex)

I was wondering if Nike did the up-sizing for all their shoes; well, now I know!
fifao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 03:53 PM   #8
jschen
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
Posts: 7,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid14
Is it misusing the store to 'use' them and not buy from them?
I'm going to disagree with Lex and say it is misuse of the store. While you're not doing anything illegal or anything like that, I think if you use the store to determine whether that shoe suits you, within reason, you should try to buy your first pair there, even if it's a bit more expensive.

The store exists to sell you things. It lets you try things on for that reason. It incurs higher costs because of that privilege it extends to its customers, whereas online places don't have to provide such a service. Someone must pay for that privilege. While nothing's stopping you from not paying your share, I think paying your share if you use the privilege is the right thing to do. Now on future pairs, when you already know what you want... well, that's different.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 05:28 PM   #9
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschen
I'm going to disagree with Lex and say it is misuse of the store. While you're not doing anything illegal or anything like that, I think if you use the store to determine whether that shoe suits you, within reason, you should try to buy your first pair there, even if it's a bit more expensive.

The store exists to sell you things. It lets you try things on for that reason. It incurs higher costs because of that privilege it extends to its customers, whereas online places don't have to provide such a service. Someone must pay for that privilege. While nothing's stopping you from not paying your share, I think paying your share if you use the privilege is the right thing to do. Now on future pairs, when you already know what you want... well, that's different.
Imo, I agree, its a lot like going to a bike shop, asking all the questions, getting the education about the part and taking up a salespersons time and then buying it online.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 08:08 PM   #10
fifao
England, We Love You.....
Thread Starter
 
fifao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want too seem wishy-washy, but now that I see both arguements, it does seem a misuse of the merchant. Leading them to believe that you will be purchasing their product and then not doind so is deceptive, in this situation. If they are buying from a manufacterer, my goal is not to support Nike, but to support my local sports store. If I wanted to say hi to Nike, I would buy direct from them.
fifao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-06, 09:54 PM   #11
iamlucky13
Footballus vita est
 
iamlucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
Posts: 2,118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I never buy shoes without trying them on, cleats especially. I have to know a shoe is comfortable for my feet, not just read that it is.
__________________
"The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad
iamlucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 08:33 AM   #12
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom
 
Lex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Secret Land of Goth Powerpuff Girls....
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I will get over the hurt of Jschen disagreeing with me and pursue my point.

Okay, kid goes to the store and tries the shoes on. He then orders them online. He goes back to the soccer pitch (it is called a pitch?) and his teammate says, "Nice shoes, where did you get them?" He says Nike but he tried them on at ________ . His mom who, if she's anything like me, doesn't order clothing online because it's a hassle to return them then takes him to the store and buys the shoes.

Also, if he likes the shoes, chances are that he will....at some point in the future.....buy shoes from that store because he will remember having tried them on there.

Bottom line, think of kid as a walking marketing ploy for the cost of five minutes to buy a pair of shoes.
__________________
"I'm starting to have grave doubts about this thing I barely liked in the first place." Homer Simpson
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:16 AM   #13
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
I will get over the hurt of Jschen disagreeing with me and pursue my point.

Okay, kid goes to the store and tries the shoes on. He then orders them online. He goes back to the soccer pitch (it is called a pitch?) and his teammate says, "Nice shoes, where did you get them?" He says Nike but he tried them on at ________ . His mom who, if she's anything like me, doesn't order clothing online because it's a hassle to return them then takes him to the store and buys the shoes.

Also, if he likes the shoes, chances are that he will....at some point in the future.....buy shoes from that store because he will remember having tried them on there.

Bottom line, think of kid as a walking marketing ploy for the cost of five minutes to buy a pair of shoes.
PWNT!!!!!!!

Yes advertising is advertising and often times people fail to see all the opportunities

I'm a size 7 -7 1/2 Length and a size 9 Width. Makes getting a decent shoes fit difficult and makes getting good cycling shoes even harder.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:19 AM   #14
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom
 
Lex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Secret Land of Goth Powerpuff Girls....
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
PWNT!!!!!!!

Yes advertising is advertising and often times people fail to see all the opportunities

I'm a size 7 -7 1/2 Length and a size 9 Width. Makes getting a decent shoes fit difficult and makes getting good cycling shoes even harder.
Word of mouth is the #1 most valuable advertising tool.
__________________
"I'm starting to have grave doubts about this thing I barely liked in the first place." Homer Simpson
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:20 AM   #15
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Indeedie.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:45 AM   #16
fifao
England, We Love You.....
Thread Starter
 
fifao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, both arguements have some good points, but I still hold to my belief that it is a misuse. In the end, when everything is done, it's the online store that received the benefit from me buying those shoes, not my local store. I suppose you can say that someone will see me score a couple of goals and say, "oh, he wears those! They must be good!" Then they go and buy em from the store.

Lex, I will not totally dismiss your point, because there is a lot of truth in it. When I was first shopping around for shoes at the beginning of the season, I asked my soccer friends what they would recommend, and they told me about the store in question. (and some others), because of a positive experience there.
fifao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 10:47 AM   #17
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Local businesses need to win your business. If they do not win your business then they don't deserve it. Simply being there is not enough.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:01 AM   #18
fifao
England, We Love You.....
Thread Starter
 
fifao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's what I said. They deserved it in that case because I had it on good authority that this was a good store to shop at.
fifao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:04 AM   #19
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom
 
Lex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Secret Land of Goth Powerpuff Girls....
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the price difference so huge that you can't buy them at that store? Look at the time you've expended so far in finding the right fit. Even for a kid, that time has to be worth something.
__________________
"I'm starting to have grave doubts about this thing I barely liked in the first place." Homer Simpson
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:25 AM   #20
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Price, attitude, willing to help, resourcefulness
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:34 AM   #21
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
who says 'i tried the shoes on at ______?' i've never, in my life, heard anyone say that. i guess all the free advertising hasn't come my way yet.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 11:41 AM   #22
Lex
Cheer****** of Doom
 
Lex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Secret Land of Goth Powerpuff Girls....
Bikes:
Posts: 515
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmhaan
who says 'i tried the shoes on at ______?' i've never, in my life, heard anyone say that. i guess all the free advertising hasn't come my way yet.
I would....well, okay, I wouldn't buy shoes online....but I have been talking shoes and commented on how this or that place has these shoes. Or how accomodating they were when I was just looking.
__________________
"I'm starting to have grave doubts about this thing I barely liked in the first place." Homer Simpson
Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 12:06 PM   #23
fifao
England, We Love You.....
Thread Starter
 
fifao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lex
Is the price difference so huge that you can't buy them at that store? Look at the time you've expended so far in finding the right fit. Even for a kid, that time has to be worth something.
$10. That is not huge by any means, but it is something. Or you could think of it this way. The shoes at the store are originally $45, and the shoes online are $85. Now, assume the shoes online are on a sale for $50, in all the right sizes. What then? Now, in my case, I have had so much trial and error experience that I don't need to go and try on every pair of shoes around. (It cost me, too ). My time is worth something, of course. I made a lot of money mowing this past summer, somewhere in the $1500-$2000, range. At least to me that's a lot.

One minor cosmetic difference between the two scenarios is that the online stores have more recent colors, which are way cooler. I was thinking about haggling with the store for a better price on the older colors, but.............
fifao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 12:10 PM   #24
timmhaan
more ape than man
 
timmhaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: nyc
Bikes:
Posts: 8,093
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
keep in mind the shipping costs. often that wipes out any savings from ordering online vs. in a store.
timmhaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-06, 12:24 PM   #25
fifao
England, We Love You.....
Thread Starter
 
fifao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Midwest
Bikes:
Posts: 580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Right, good point. Shipping is $10 for the nicer boot online, making it $60. Tax for the local boot is $5, making it $50. There's another place online that sells the cheaper, local boot for $40, shipping included.

Choices, choices.
fifao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:26 AM.