Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-04-06, 08:20 PM   #1
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to PIC somebodies brain

How would you describe programming a PIC chip? In difficulty I mean
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 08:44 PM   #2
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would apply the term Massochistic, but oddly fun
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-06, 11:11 PM   #3
EJ123
'05 NUEser
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PIC chip huuh?

I thought you meant pic like picture=)
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 01:27 AM   #4
pmseattle
Senior Member
 
pmseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
How would you describe programming a PIC chip? In difficulty I mean
Like any other programming job, it depends on the complexity of the task you are attempting to accomplish, and the tools you have available. I have written a lot of code for the PIC16F- and PIC18F- chips. I use the free Microchip MPLAB programming environment along with a PICStart Plus device programmer, niether of which is very sophisticated, but they get the job done for very little investment. Debugging can be painful with no emulator. MPLAB has a simulator that is sort of like an emulator; it allows you to run your PIC program on your computer and artificially plug numbers in and observe the effects. You can single step and set break points.
One weak point of PICs, at least the ones I have used, is their inability to do much in the way of math operations. Of course, that is true of most other small scale microcontrollers. Also, having the RAM set up as multiple register banks is mildly irritating. The good things about them are they are dirt cheap, easy to obtain, easy to get working in a circuit, they have a lot of digital and analog I/O depending on which device you use, and the documentation is excellent.
pmseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 07:36 AM   #5
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the reply.
How would you describe ther capability? Able to handle speed? I think they take 5v.
The one I will be using is PIC16 I THINK.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 11:56 AM   #6
pmseattle
Senior Member
 
pmseattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Seattle, WA
Bikes:
Posts: 451
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantomcow2
Thanks for the reply.
How would you describe ther capability? Able to handle speed? I think they take 5v.
The one I will be using is PIC16 I THINK.
Capability: They are excellent for I/O intensive tasks that involve very little number crunching. They have lots of peripheral functions, such as timers, counters, analog I/O, serial communications, digital I/O. They are available in several different physical layouts, including DIP for easy prototyping.

Speed: The external oscillator can be up to 20 MHz for most varieties, and you can use an on-board clock doubler to go to 40 MHz. I usually use a 10 MHz ceramic resonator for the oscillator since several manufacturers make resonators specifically for PICs. The resonators are very cheap, rugged, and easy to use. Also, PICs generally have an internal oscillator which can be used instead of an external oscillator, although I believe it is only 8 MHz. In my experience it is not quite as frequency stable as a crystal or resonator, which may affect timing-sensitive designs. An instruction cycle takes four clock cycles and if I recall correctly all of the instructions take one instruction cycle to operate. So my 10 MHz resonator allows 2.5 instructions to execute each microsecond.

Power Supply: Most are 5 V nominal, some will allow a small range around 5 V. Current draw will depend on how fast the device is running, what peripherals are active, and what you have connected to the I/O ports.

Last edited by pmseattle; 03-05-06 at 11:59 AM. Reason: error
pmseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-06, 02:51 PM   #7
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
Thread Starter
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmseattle
Capability: They are excellent for I/O intensive tasks that involve very little number crunching. They have lots of peripheral functions, such as timers, counters, analog I/O, serial communications, digital I/O. They are available in several different physical layouts, including DIP for easy prototyping.

Speed: The external oscillator can be up to 20 MHz for most varieties, and you can use an on-board clock doubler to go to 40 MHz. I usually use a 10 MHz ceramic resonator for the oscillator since several manufacturers make resonators specifically for PICs. The resonators are very cheap, rugged, and easy to use. Also, PICs generally have an internal oscillator which can be used instead of an external oscillator, although I believe it is only 8 MHz. In my experience it is not quite as frequency stable as a crystal or resonator, which may affect timing-sensitive designs. An instruction cycle takes four clock cycles and if I recall correctly all of the instructions take one instruction cycle to operate. So my 10 MHz resonator allows 2.5 instructions to execute each microsecond.

Power Supply: Most are 5 V nominal, some will allow a small range around 5 V. Current draw will depend on how fast the device is running, what peripherals are active, and what you have connected to the I/O ports.

Thanks. This would be used for stepper motors. These have to be able to drive a good 15,000 steps per second.
I was told the basic stamp would be too slow, so this is worth a shot I think. What is the fastest PIC you know of? Speed is a big concern here. I know people make simple PIC or stamp based stepper drivers for robitic applications, but for what I need, I want to be able to spin my motors at 700RPM no problem. I've been told that using a chopper drive with an Allegro IC, people have been able to get steppers to spin at 1000RPM with no load.
But I see plenty of PIC based drivers that claim to be able to do this, like the Linistepper. Only most of the drives out there are made for around 3 amps. I need 6...
So I am having a friend build me something that he says will be able to take 100vDC input, and drive up to 8 amps. I would just like to be able to program hte PIC to be able to adjust anything, to tune it I guess.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:14 PM.