Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    FireFox users: update to version 1.5.0.4

    Version 1.5.0.4 is available here. It fixes some security vulerabilities rated Highly Critical, so check your version, and update if it's not 1.5.0.4.

    It's never a bad time to check for updates on other "Internet-facing" software like media players (WinAmp, iTunes, QuickTime), other browsers, and instant-messaging programs, either. Windows users can hit Windows Update to see if they need any new updates for the OS and its built-in stuff, and Mac users can use Apple's Software Update feature.

    I've met Windows users who think that because they use a different browser than Internet Explorer, they don't need to go to Windows Update, or at least that they don't need to keep Internet Explorer patched. Not so. Visit the Windows Update site monthly, and/or turn on Automatic Updates in the Control Panel, so you keep your vulnerabilities to a minimum

    Also, if you have an old-generation antivirus software that was made several years ago, it's probably not fully equipped to handle new types of threats like we have today. If you can't afford a new pay-for version, consider using a free-for-home-users one like AntiVir, which is probably the best of the free ones. mech's general antivirus configuration tips
    Last edited by mechBgon; 06-05-06 at 09:24 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bump for the Saturday crowd Update and enjoy your weekend!

  3. #3
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Bump for the Saturday crowd Update and enjoy your weekend!
    Do you know of a plugin for firefox that saves the last tabs that were open and then restores them like Opera does?
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  4. #4
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy
    Do you know of a plugin for firefox that saves the last tabs that were open and then restores them like Opera does?
    I'm afraid I don't If you visit the same set of pages enough, I believe you can open all the pages tabbed, then set your homepage to be all of the tabs at once, so when you open the browser or home it, they all come up. Any good?

  5. #5
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    - didn't have to do this manually - ff did it for me on my OS X boxen!

    - tks ff!

  6. #6
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    - didn't have to do this manually - ff did it for me on my OS X boxen!

    - tks ff!
    That's interesting. I'm not an OS X guy, so bear with my stupid question: how does it update without root/su privileges, or does it prompt you to elevate it, or how's that work? On a Windows system with a Restricted-User/Limited account, a la *nix, it doesn't work (last I knew of) and that's good because you don't WANT the browser to be able to be altered from a low-rights account in the first place.

  7. #7
    370H-SSV-0773H linux_author's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Penniless Park, Fla.
    My Bikes
    Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
    Posts
    2,760
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    That's interesting. I'm not an OS X guy, so bear with my stupid question: how does it update without root/su privileges, or does it prompt you to elevate it, or how's that work? On a Windows system with a Restricted-User/Limited account, a la *nix, it doesn't work (last I knew of) and that's good because you don't WANT the browser to be able to be altered from a low-rights account in the first place.
    - you are correct... however, i have ff Prefs->Advanced->Update set to "Automatically download and install the update" (i keep /Users/* backed up)

    - but yes, one would need to supply su's passwd in order to install/update system-wide clients under OS X

    - for example, Fink's apt-get installed clients require su's passwd (fortunately only the first time in a single Fink Commander GUI session)...

  8. #8
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by linux_author
    - you are correct... however, i have ff Prefs->Advanced->Update set to "Automatically download and install the update" (i keep /Users/* backed up)

    - but yes, one would need to supply su's passwd in order to install/update system-wide clients under OS X

    - for example, Fink's apt-get installed clients require su's passwd (fortunately only the first time in a single Fink Commander GUI session)...
    No offense, but I'm docking you five demerits on your *NIX membership card for handing off root privileges to a web browser like that!

  9. #9
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another bump. Secunia rates some of the vulnerabilities in the Highly critical category, so if you use FireFox, check your version and update if you don't have 1.5.0.4.

  10. #10
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine did it for me a couple of days ago. hehe

  11. #11
    Bananaed Brillig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Philly-ish
    My Bikes
    2001 Lemond Nevada City (only the frame remains)
    Posts
    6,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy
    Do you know of a plugin for firefox that saves the last tabs that were open and then restores them like Opera does?
    https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1774/
    If once a man indulges himself in murder, very soon he comes to think little of robbing; and from robbing he comes next to drinking and Sabbath-breaking, and from that to incivility and procrastination.
    - Thomas De Quincey

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •