Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-06, 09:27 PM   #1
LSPlo
Always Riding
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Biketown, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to surprise my GF, but I'm a little nervous

Earlier this year my GF and I had planned a pretty long vacation for this summer, but things happened and it's not feasible anymore. Well, it turns out that we both have 3 free days next week and I want to go on a mini-vacation.

She's been away for a couple weeks dealing with some family stuff, but she's coming back tomorrow. I've been planning without her knowing about it (never really told her because I didn't think an opportunity would come up like it did), and this means I can just surprise her about it.

I have these grand ideas of just waking her up in the morning and telling her to pack a suitcase. Then I was thinking, "Well...maybe she needs more time to pack," so I wimped those ideas down to telling her the night before. But once I tell her we're going somewhere she'll probably be able to get me to tell her where we're going, which may or may not matter because she'd find out once we got to the airport anyway.

Is it a good idea to surprise someone like that? I mean, what if something comes up? What if she doesn't want to go? I wouldn't want to waste a lot of energy and money. But then again, I really do want to surprise her, because I plan on proposing to her during the trip and the proposal itself won't be much of a surprise, so I at least want something to be a surprise.

Should I go for the extreme surprise? Anyone ever done this?
LSPlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 09:35 PM   #2
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brooklyn, Alabama
Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Your girlfriend liked it quite a lot when I gave her the extreme surprise.
brokenrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 09:35 PM   #3
Cavedog
Senior Member
 
Cavedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Valrico, Fl
Bikes: Street and Trail
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Surprise her at the onset. Tell her that you want to take her away for the weekend, but give her a day or so (if you can) to get ready. I think you are smart to consider the side effects of just hauling butt outta town. Life isn't like that. She will probably need to make some arangements for whatever (feeding of animals, telling her girlfriends, and of course, going shopping for the trip.) Sometimes, getting ready for the trip is part of the fun.
Cavedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 09:39 PM   #4
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
Your girlfriend liked it quite a lot when I gave her the extreme surprise.
Welcome to foo, ahole.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 09:50 PM   #5
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brooklyn, Alabama
Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
Welcome to foo, ahole.
Thanks, jackass! (I've been here for years - just rarely post in foo)
brokenrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 09:52 PM   #6
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
Thanks, jackass! (I've been here for years - just rarely post in foo)
Obviously, you've proven to be the jackass.

Too, the op. I would say, go with the surprise. Some woman love spontaneity, obviously you know your gf do you think she would enjoy a surprise?
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 09:55 PM   #7
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brooklyn, Alabama
Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
Obviously, you've proven to be the jackass.
THAT'S no way to make friends!

Oh, and I almost forgot - the jerk store called; they're out of you.
brokenrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 09:56 PM   #8
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
THAT'S no way to make friends!

Oh, and I almost forgot - the jerk store called; they're out of you.
For the sake of mankind please grow some brain cells. Then, maybe you can think of a better comeback. Until then please gouge your eyes out and stick your hand in a toaster.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-06, 09:59 PM   #9
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brooklyn, Alabama
Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoF3ar
Until then please gouge your eyes out and stick your hand in a toaster.
I completed step one, but now I can't see to find a toaster. Help!
brokenrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 03:58 AM   #10
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur
 
Boogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Philly
Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSPlo
Earlier this year my GF and I had planned a pretty long vacation for this summer, but things happened and it's not feasible anymore. Well, it turns out that we both have 3 free days next week and I want to go on a mini-vacation.

She's been away for a couple weeks dealing with some family stuff, but she's coming back tomorrow. I've been planning without her knowing about it (never really told her because I didn't think an opportunity would come up like it did), and this means I can just surprise her about it.

I have these grand ideas of just waking her up in the morning and telling her to pack a suitcase. Then I was thinking, "Well...maybe she needs more time to pack," so I wimped those ideas down to telling her the night before. But once I tell her we're going somewhere she'll probably be able to get me to tell her where we're going, which may or may not matter because she'd find out once we got to the airport anyway.

Is it a good idea to surprise someone like that? I mean, what if something comes up? What if she doesn't want to go? I wouldn't want to waste a lot of energy and money. But then again, I really do want to surprise her, because I plan on proposing to her during the trip and the proposal itself won't be much of a surprise, so I at least want something to be a surprise.

Should I go for the extreme surprise? Anyone ever done this?
IMO, only YOU can intuit what the right approach is to this with her, but it is very cool of you to want to surprise her and make her happy. On the other hand, even if you don't get it "just right", if you obviously take a great deal of care in both wanting to give her a nice surprise AND respecting her autonomy, she'll appreciate it. The marriage proposal might help too...
Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 04:05 AM   #11
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take her to the city, find a S&M club. That will surprise the crap out of her... and you'll enjoy it too
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 05:50 AM   #12
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur
 
Boogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Philly
Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey
Take her to the city, find a S&M club. That will surprise the crap out of her... and you'll enjoy it too

























Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 09:50 AM   #13
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenrobot
the jerk store called; they're out of you.
That doesn't matter cause you're their all time best seller.. and I slept with your wife!
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 09:53 AM   #14
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would say tell her. Unless the 2 of you are lucky enough not to have work or anything and she's got the next 3 days off. Otherwise, you might just get hit with the ol, "oh that'll be great to go away for 3 days but I have to go to a funeral in romania tomorrow."
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 10:45 AM   #15
Boogs
Kelly Drive Amateur
 
Boogs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Philly
Bikes: '86 Super Sport with mods
Posts: 465
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This thread is a lovely combination of heartfelt romance, and locker room ass-smackery.
Boogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 11:24 AM   #16
free_pizza
later
 
free_pizza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 2,471
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvoid
I slept with your wife!
His wife is in a Coma.
free_pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 11:24 AM   #17
Cavedog
Senior Member
 
Cavedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Valrico, Fl
Bikes: Street and Trail
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogs
This thread is a lovely combination of heartfelt romance, and locker room ass-smackery.

I think that for some, those are the same.....
Cavedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 11:31 AM   #18
brokenrobot
Sweetened with Splenda
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brooklyn, Alabama
Bikes: Too many 80s roadbikes!
Posts: 2,335
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by free_pizza
His wife is in a Coma.
That's true, but not funny.
brokenrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-06, 11:37 AM   #19
MaxBender
Take Your Lane
 
MaxBender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Bikes:
Posts: 289
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Girlfriend = Surprise her and go for it.

Wife = No surprises, suggest the trip as an action item during the next budget planning meeting.
MaxBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 AM.