Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-28-06, 11:41 AM   #1
ChAnMaN
Specialized Member
Thread Starter
 
ChAnMaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: I live in a small town
Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think Norton internet security is a scam

im on someone elses computer it wont let me use mozilla thunderbird, everytime i try and download messages it freaks out and has some user error and then i cant connect to my email server.

so im like ohh easy fix...ill just turn off norton. but no, you cant turn it off...you can disable the internet security but you cant end the program. There is no OFF button. And the you try and end the process itself it just says access denied.

but ill bet it will let me use Microsoft outlook express just fine..........anywho i guess the question is...how do i just turn off all things symantec?


normally i would just laugh in the face of the person who was stupid enough to use norton but i really need to use this computer.
__________________
You can never be too Specialized
Click here if any of the following apply to you:
1 You dont like Specialized, 2 You drive a SUV, 3 Your name is George Bush
ChAnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 11:46 AM   #2
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs

Then download something that isn't bloated and intrusive. Like AVG antivirus (free!). Then tell your friend you fixed his/her stupid computer.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 11:48 AM   #3
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NAV is ok, but I agree their Internet Security suite is overboard bloat. We've experienced too many problems with it at the shop.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 12:10 PM   #4
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs

Then download something that isn't bloated and intrusive. Like AVG antivirus (free!). Then tell your friend you fixed his/her stupid computer.
Dude AVG is literally worse then NAV. I would suggest F-PRot except that F-PROT is 100% non-user friendly. I think Mechbagnon says that Kapsersky is pretty good. I installed AVG on my computer for a few minutes becaise OI was having a single problem and I couldn't find any online virus scans that actually worked anymore. That was the biggest mistake I ever did. Suggesting it to my dad was the 2nd biggest mistake I ever did. The only good thing is that it seems to be easier to kill then Norton but you still have to literally kill it.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 12:15 PM   #5
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Dude AVG is literally worse then NAV.
Really. In what way? In actual use, or when you're trying to uninstall?

So far my computer's been clean. But I chalk that up to being safe when I'm online than anything else.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 12:18 PM   #6
ChAnMaN
Specialized Member
Thread Starter
 
ChAnMaN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: I live in a small town
Bikes: 2004 Specialized Allez
Posts: 973
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well but i think they pay for there norton........i just wanted to disable it when im on it so it doesnt interfere with what im doing.
__________________
You can never be too Specialized
Click here if any of the following apply to you:
1 You dont like Specialized, 2 You drive a SUV, 3 Your name is George Bush
ChAnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 12:19 PM   #7
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
Really. In what way? In actual use, or when you're trying to uninstall?

So far my computer's been clean. But I chalk that up to being safe when I'm online than anything else.
It would scan ALL of my hard drives at least once a day. And when you scan i think it's nearly 1/2 a terrabyte right now it kills the machine. It did the same thing on my dad's laptop too. I just killed it plain and simply by disabling the services. My dad went in and told it not to do a complete scan but once a week and he said he hasn't seen it rear its head once. It's been several weeks now.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 02:55 PM   #8
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Dude AVG is literally worse then NAV. I would suggest F-PRot except that F-PROT is 100% non-user friendly. I think Mechbagnon says that Kapsersky is pretty good. I installed AVG on my computer for a few minutes becaise OI was having a single problem and I couldn't find any online virus scans that actually worked anymore. That was the biggest mistake I ever did. Suggesting it to my dad was the 2nd biggest mistake I ever did. The only good thing is that it seems to be easier to kill then Norton but you still have to literally kill it.

F-prot is garbage. It may protect well, but that is the most bloatastic piece of code in the history of mankind. Seriously, I think if bloated software was rated in tons of poo, F-prot would have to have a dump the size of the netire state of montana to contain it all.

I use AVG because I don't do much of anything risky online, and have multiple layers of firewalls (hardware and software, both extremely well configured), so I really have little to worry about. The one that does hit me, will more than likely won't even be on any AV's list yet, and would still have to get past my weariness to run unsolicited executables or files, or through my network.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 02:58 PM   #9
bbattle
.
 
bbattle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rocket City, No'ala
Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Trevisio, 1991 Colnago Master, '06 Bianchi San Jose, 1987 Moulton Fuso, 1990 Gardin Shred, '82 John Howard(Dave Tesch)
Posts: 12,557
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Get a Mac.
__________________
Bicycle Pictures
bbattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-06, 04:15 PM   #10
MadMan2k
Canon fiend
 
MadMan2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: old peugot frankenbike
Posts: 3,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Avast isn't bad.

You could uninstall it, or you might be able to go into the settings and disable email scanning in NIS. When you uninstall Norton, it doesn't actually remove most of the files and registry settings.. garbage software IMO.
MadMan2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 10:04 AM   #11
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic
F-prot is garbage. It may protect well, but that is the most bloatastic piece of code in the history of mankind. Seriously, I think if bloated software was rated in tons of poo, F-prot would have to have a dump the size of the netire state of montana to contain it all.

I use AVG because I don't do much of anything risky online, and have multiple layers of firewalls (hardware and software, both extremely well configured), so I really have little to worry about. The one that does hit me, will more than likely won't even be on any AV's list yet, and would still have to get past my weariness to run unsolicited executables or files, or through my network.
I wonder if we're talking about the same thing. I run F-Prot on my server. Very very lightweight. Robust email virus scanner
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 10:29 AM   #12
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm, last time I used F-prot, it consumed over 130megs of ram just idling. The second I realized that, I immediately uninstalled it and went for AVG, since it was a trade-off I was willing to do.

I am pretty skeptical on any anti-virus, since either the OS needs patched, or the user need to stop running anything they can double click on....so pretty much AV is a nice fuzzy blanket. It is nice to have until the OS gets patched though.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 10:45 AM   #13
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic
Hmm, last time I used F-prot, it consumed over 130megs of ram just idling. The second I realized that, I immediately uninstalled it and went for AVG, since it was a trade-off I was willing to do.

I am pretty skeptical on any anti-virus, since either the OS needs patched, or the user need to stop running anything they can double click on....so pretty much AV is a nice fuzzy blanket. It is nice to have until the OS gets patched though.
Total it's using up about 4.3mb of ram.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 11:38 AM   #14
skiahh
Senior Member
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs

Then download something that isn't bloated and intrusive. Like AVG antivirus (free!). Then tell your friend you fixed his/her stupid computer.
Or ZoneAlarm (www.zonelabs.com), also free. I think the OP's problem was with the Norton Firewall, which I agree is garbage.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 12:30 PM   #15
lyeinyoureye
Senior Citizen
 
lyeinyoureye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: no
Bikes: yes
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Linux or FreeBSD. Maybe Solaris if you don't like hardware support.
lyeinyoureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 12:42 PM   #16
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyeinyoureye
Linux or FreeBSD. Maybe Solaris if you don't like hardware support.
My hardware and software doesn't work very well with Linux or FreeBSD so I would be in almost the same boat regardless of which of those i made.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-06, 01:12 PM   #17
lyeinyoureye
Senior Citizen
 
lyeinyoureye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: no
Bikes: yes
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
My hardware and software doesn't work very well with Linux or FreeBSD so I would be in almost the same boat regardless of which of those i made.
What exactly are you running that's not supported by either of those?
lyeinyoureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-06, 09:41 PM   #18
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Click the K
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 06:27 PM   #19
lyeinyoureye
Senior Citizen
 
lyeinyoureye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: no
Bikes: yes
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes. What?
lyeinyoureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 08:48 PM   #20
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
THe K as in KDE
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-06, 12:36 AM   #21
lyeinyoureye
Senior Citizen
 
lyeinyoureye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: no
Bikes: yes
Posts: 1,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like the O as in Openbox? I still have no clue what this has to do with TexasGuy's hardware.
lyeinyoureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:14 AM.