Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    My Bikes
    Iro Rob Roy, Colnago Competition, LHT, Kona Sutra flat bar, Torelli cyclocross, Vanco Cyclocross Fixed Gear Conversion
    Posts
    9,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    I can't get my mic input to work for the life of me! Any ideas?

    As I posted on another "please help me" thread I have a new motherboard (Asrock K7NF2) do to my old one dying. I've managed to hunt down and fix a myriad of problems that came from the service center with this new MB. (Memory not installed correctly, incorrect jumper settings, jumpers missing, etc.)

    My latest problem is I can't get either of the mic inputs (front and back of case) to work. It might be a software problem, (I'm using WinXP Pro with all the latest updates) but I've tried all the software tricks I know and I still can't get any mic input. I really need to call some people via Skype and this is really frustrating.

    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to track down this problem? Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Crono's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Inay ethay east bay
    My Bikes
    A red one and a black one
    Posts
    95
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    control panel > sounds and audio devices properties > audio tab > sound recording

    Make sure the device is selected and check that the volume is all the way up, and that the check box is checked

    hope that helps

  3. #3
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is this a computer mic or an instrument mic (XLR connection)?

    For instrument mics, you need more than a plug adaptor, you need what is called a "phantom power". You can get one for relatively cheap ($40usd at guitar center, for a Rolls single mic unit). I had to buy one of these to use my Shure mic with my PC.

    If you are using a PC mic, make sure that your card is setup as 2-channel...more often than not running a card in surround shuts off the mic-in and turns it into a speaker out.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    My Bikes
    Iro Rob Roy, Colnago Competition, LHT, Kona Sutra flat bar, Torelli cyclocross, Vanco Cyclocross Fixed Gear Conversion
    Posts
    9,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    Is this a computer mic or an instrument mic (XLR connection)?

    For instrument mics, you need more than a plug adaptor, you need what is called a "phantom power". You can get one for relatively cheap ($40usd at guitar center, for a Rolls single mic unit). I had to buy one of these to use my Shure mic with my PC.

    If you are using a PC mic, make sure that your card is setup as 2-channel...more often than not running a card in surround shuts off the mic-in and turns it into a speaker out.
    Another winner! Thanks.

    It was that I have 5.1 speakers...and the MB only has three inputs....the more I learn about this replacement motherboard the more taken advantage of I feel.....

  5. #5
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Almost all surround soundcards are like this. Don't feel too cheated. Thing is more dense the panel is, ther harder it is to fit the plugs.

    On my audigy2 ZS, I had to re-mold the plastic on my mini-to-RCA adaptor, so it would clear the brass 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor needed to run from my phantom power to my mic in.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    My Bikes
    Iro Rob Roy, Colnago Competition, LHT, Kona Sutra flat bar, Torelli cyclocross, Vanco Cyclocross Fixed Gear Conversion
    Posts
    9,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    Almost all surround soundcards are like this. Don't feel too cheated. Thing is more dense the panel is, ther harder it is to fit the plugs.

    On my audigy2 ZS, I had to re-mold the plastic on my mini-to-RCA adaptor, so it would clear the brass 1/4" to 1/8" adaptor needed to run from my phantom power to my mic in.
    The original board which died was an Abit NF7-S which had all the plugs I needed. It was replaced by the Asrock under warentee. It's a pain to switch software settings everytime someone calls me on Skype.....This combined with all the other problems makes me very angry......I've spent thousands of dollars at that store over the last few years.....they could at least replace my MB with one of similar quality.....

  7. #7
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,828
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would just get a cheap quality soundcard...you can get an audigy 2 ZS for around $50 or less for an OEM card. It has all the audio inputs and playback support you will ever need. The retail ones even have DVD-A decoding (Seems CL is the only maker of DVD-A playback soundcards).
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    My Bikes
    Iro Rob Roy, Colnago Competition, LHT, Kona Sutra flat bar, Torelli cyclocross, Vanco Cyclocross Fixed Gear Conversion
    Posts
    9,967
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    I would just get a cheap quality soundcard...you can get an audigy 2 ZS for around $50 or less for an OEM card. It has all the audio inputs and playback support you will ever need. The retail ones even have DVD-A decoding (Seems CL is the only maker of DVD-A playback soundcards).
    Funny you should mention that....I just came back from the computer shop and they gave me a new Audigy card. Now all works. Thanks for the help.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •