Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-01-06, 05:25 PM   #1
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
oh, joy of joys!

Hoo-ray!

Epson 4490, bought today. Mostly to scan the pile of prints I have sitting in the corner.

I had always been under the impression that scanners capable of getting decent medium format film scans were... mother****ing expensive.

Much to my delight (and 10 minute surprise orgasm), this little guy is capable of 4800 dpi film scans (says 12800 in the scan menu, dunno what that's about). Which, at max resolution, squirts out a 870MB file (16 bit, greyscale, 6x7 medium format negative).

No, I can't open it. That was just for ****s and grins. Nevertheless, I need more RAM.

Anyway, all my geek friends are busy and I needed to tell somebody.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-06, 06:03 PM   #2
Karldar
SNIKT!
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
Hoo-ray!

Epson 4490, bought today. Mostly to scan the pile of prints I have sitting in the corner.

I had always been under the impression that scanners capable of getting decent medium format film scans were... mother****ing expensive.

Much to my delight (and 10 minute surprise orgasm), this little guy is capable of 4800 dpi film scans (says 12800 in the scan menu, dunno what that's about). Which, at max resolution, squirts out a 870MB file (16 bit, greyscale, 6x7 medium format negative).

No, I can't open it. That was just for ****s and grins. Nevertheless, I need more RAM.

Anyway, all my geek friends are busy and I needed to tell somebody.
Wow, I had no idea you were a geek! I'm so disappointed in you, man!
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-06, 06:10 PM   #3
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karldar
Wow, I had no idea you were a geek! I'm so disappointed in you, man!
I said my geek friends. I am suave and a master of masters. And don't forget it!
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-06, 06:12 PM   #4
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
A couple 'o self-indulgent quick 'n dirties.





EDIT: And two more.





Alright. I'll stop now. Time to go to the park, anyway.

Last edited by explody pup; 07-01-06 at 06:47 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-06, 08:05 PM   #5
edp773
Senior Member
 
edp773's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Illinios
Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Congrats on the new scanner. It looks similar to our new HP at the university library. Hmmm.

I also like Adobe Elements, it works well for an amatuer photographer like myself.
edp773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-06, 08:17 PM   #6
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sweet score, and those are some nice images. I have never bothered to get a film scanner for the same reason. I've got stacks of 2 1/4 images that I would love to digi. I've just gotten into making Van **** prints. I'm printing my contact negatives on Pictorico OHP transparency film. Been up and running with it for 3 days, so nothing worthy of posting yet.

Congrats,
--A
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 11:55 AM   #7
Shadiyah
KombuchaCHIC
 
Shadiyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SLC,UT
Bikes: Santa Cruz Juliana, 2005 Bianchi Pista
Posts: 496
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mmmmm cool! Post more pics!!!
Shadiyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 11:58 AM   #8
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I'm working on bringing my site back from the dead. I'll post a link when I get it finished (hopefully w/in the week).
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 07:14 PM   #9
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
By the way, thanks for the link AllenG. I'd really like to see some of the prints you're working on if you ever get around to scanning them.

EDIT: Also, are you doing this with an enlarger or are you using large negatives?

Last edited by explody pup; 07-03-06 at 07:20 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 09:22 PM   #10
caroline_c
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes: raleigh grand prix, giordonna track
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah, photo geekery!

pup- very nice! i've been scanning a lot of my stuff recently as well, but a lot of it is on 4x5 film, so i've been using the 4990. pretty happy with it so far- this is one shot from a recent batch (from a series based on weird recurring nightmares i had as a kid) not spotted, cropped, or color corrected yet, so be forgiving
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...gger/tiger.jpg

AllenG- i love brownprints! and cyanotypes, for that matter. last summer, i tried to impress my boyfriend's young cousins by bringing paper i'd pre-coated with cyanotype mix and showing them how to put leaves and flowers on it in the sun. i had HOPED they'd be enchanted that the pictures showed up when we rinsed them in water, but instead the kids all just shrugged and went inside to watch TV. whatever happened to the childlike sense of wonder??

scanned a couple of those, too:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...phonebooth.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/amphugger/gun.jpg
caroline_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 09:27 PM   #11
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you a sexual deviant?
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 09:31 PM   #12
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
caroline - really cool stuff. I'm still very much a novice. What's your process on the brownprints?

I'm still trying to find my style. Still playing around with different things and learning darkroom technique. My next little goal is to get a decent polaroid and try my hand at emulsion lifts. It might be a while before I get anything useful, but I'll put up a post when I get something I like.

I like your stuff (the handgun, in particular). Care to put up a link of your gallery?
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 09:33 PM   #13
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline_c
a lot of it is on 4x5 film
By the way, curious of what camera you're using.
  Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 10:06 PM   #14
caroline_c
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes: raleigh grand prix, giordonna track
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thank you! i haven't got a proper gallery up and running yet, just whatever i have scanned and uploaded here and there. i'm trying to warm up to the digital revolution, but there's really nothing like being elbow-deep in toxic chemicals. the 4x5 stuff was shot with a calumet brand view camera. it belongs to my school, but i've been pricing field cams, since graduation is coming up and i won't have the luxury of borrowed equipment much longer.

my brownprint process is pretty haphazard. sometimes i carefully measure everything, sometimes i eyeball it and get some interesting results (color variations, less/more contrast, solarization). the basic ingredients are ferric ammonium citrate, tartaric acid, and silver nitrate. coat paper evenly, let it dry in the dark overnight. after exposure (outdoors, usually), i develop it first in a tray of running water that i've added a capful of hydrogen peroxide to, and then put it in some non-bleaching fix (the non-bleaching bit is important! otherwise you'll end up with a very faded print!) before rinsing again in running water.

do post any polaroid experiments that work out! i have a weakness for old polaroid land cams- i have ~ a dozen of them!

jerseysbest- sexual deviants on the photo thread? c'est impossible!
caroline_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-06, 11:44 PM   #15
Karldar
SNIKT!
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline_c
thank you! i haven't got a proper gallery up and running yet, just whatever i have scanned and uploaded here and there. i'm trying to warm up to the digital revolution, but there's really nothing like being elbow-deep in toxic chemicals. the 4x5 stuff was shot with a calumet brand view camera. it belongs to my school, but i've been pricing field cams, since graduation is coming up and i won't have the luxury of borrowed equipment much longer.

my brownprint process is pretty haphazard. sometimes i carefully measure everything, sometimes i eyeball it and get some interesting results (color variations, less/more contrast, solarization). the basic ingredients are ferric ammonium citrate, tartaric acid, and silver nitrate. coat paper evenly, let it dry in the dark overnight. after exposure (outdoors, usually), i develop it first in a tray of running water that i've added a capful of hydrogen peroxide to, and then put it in some non-bleaching fix (the non-bleaching bit is important! otherwise you'll end up with a very faded print!) before rinsing again in running water.

do post any polaroid experiments that work out! i have a weakness for old polaroid land cams- i have ~ a dozen of them!

jerseysbest- sexual deviants on the photo thread? c'est impossible!
Lots of memories being brought back tonight. I haven't been in a darkroom in about 20 years(not counting the X-ray department at the hospital in Germany ~10 years ago). I'm planning on going the digital route when I get some more money, tho. I do kinda miss the smell.
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:54 AM.