Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Does NJ have the best deal on gas?

    The gas there was cheaper than the states bordering it, and they pump it for you.
    I had no idea, but I am told it is illegal for you to pump your own gas. Was not sure if I believed it or not. So we go to get gas in Mt Laurel, and an employee comes rushing out and pumps it for us.

  2. #2
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Usually, but the cost of living more then makes ups for the $.10 cents per gallon cheaper gas. I'd much rather make my salary, and live somewhere else that isn't 800 a month for a crappy studio that freakin 'shares a bathroom'.

    You're not supposed to pump your own gas, but nobodies gonna break your arm if you do. If I'm in a rush I will, they'll usually come over make sure I'm doing it right, and then attend other customers. Some stations will yell at you, I don't blame them since I think insurance and state law doesn't allow it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  3. #3
    Burning Matches. ElJamoquio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    My Bikes
    Motobecane Le Champion SL, Cervelo P2SL
    Posts
    9,663
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes; in New Jersey, you are not trusted to pump your own gas. We must save you from yourself...

  4. #4
    antisocialite dirtyphotons's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    3,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the catch is that you have to live in new jersey.

  5. #5
    The Other White Meat BroMax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Reno
    My Bikes
    Raleigh Sports 3 speed, Torker T-530
    Posts
    605
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We don't have self-serve gas in Oregon either. I think NJ and OR are the only states that don't have self-serv. Last I heard, Oregon's average gasoline price was second highest among all states, right behind Hawai'i.

    I don't mind pumping my own (except when I'm dressed up for a dog & pony show) but I hate those places where you're not allowed to pump your own but you still have to go inside the damn store to pay for your gas.
    Peace is not merely a distant goal that we seek, but a means by which we arrive at that goal.

    -Martin Luther King, Jr.

  6. #6
    Footballus vita est iamlucky13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Portland, OR
    My Bikes
    Trek 4500, Kona Dawg
    Posts
    2,118
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure how Oregon's compares to the rest of the nation, but it's generally a little bit cheaper than Washington, despite the mandatory pumping law due to King County voting gas tax increases on the rest of the state to pay for King County projects.

    Two things I hate most about living in Oregon: I can't pump my gas*, and I have to pay that stupid recycling deposit. I just wanna put my cans in the curbside bins for crying out loud!

    * I have topped off the tank on my own when the attendant is being slow...don't tell anyone. And I almost died waiting for the attendant while on my bike to get gas for the mower. Lemme tell you, that's a weird feeling...pulling up to the gas pump on a bicycle.
    "The internet is a place where absolutely nothing happens. You need to take advantage of that." ~ Strong Bad

  7. #7
    Specialized Member ChAnMaN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I live in a small town
    My Bikes
    2004 Specialized Allez
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BroMax
    We don't have self-serve gas in Oregon either. I think NJ and OR are the only states that don't have self-serv. Last I heard, Oregon's average gasoline price was second highest among all states, right behind Hawai'i.

    I don't mind pumping my own (except when I'm dressed up for a dog & pony show) but I hate those places where you're not allowed to pump your own but you still have to go inside the damn store to pay for your gas.

    yeah i live in idaho and its annoying to go to oregon and have the service pumps, i like the challange of trying to hit the 20.00 mark excatly on my first try......or risk having to break bills for 1 penny.
    You can never be too Specialized
    Click here if any of the following apply to you:
    1 You dont like Specialized, 2 You drive a SUV, 3 Your name is George Bush

  8. #8
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyphotons
    the catch is that you have to live in new jersey.
    I agree this is a catch. Having visited 4 times, and driven through 2 more times after that, I can say it is not a place I desire to live in.

  9. #9
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you go to the Grainger's in Mt Laurel?

    I did a twenty year sentence there. The let my out for good behaviour.

  10. #10
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    I agree this is a catch. Having visited 4 times, and driven through 2 more times after that, I can say it is not a place I desire to live in.
    The NJ Turnpike speaks volumes on the quality of life here. Just like that section of manhatten with all the *****s.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  11. #11
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen a Full Service gas station in 3/4 of a decade. Exxon put the last one I saw out of business.
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  12. #12
    holyrollin' FlatTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer(hot rod 3 sp.), noname cantilever frame 1 sp., Peugeot U-O8, Kia 10 sp., soon-to-be-custom Sears Free Spirit 3sp.(project), department store mountain bike 21 sp.
    Posts
    1,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't pumped gas in my state ever. When I'm on vacation out-of-state it's a learning experience. Here in Jersey it's "Fill it up!" and "Cash!".

    Strangest thing, which ought to make the minds of you DIY gaspump fans explode: The gas doesn't cost more here to have some station employee do it. In other words, you guys are paying for the privilege of pumping your own. And oil companies take the money they have saved in employment costs in those 48 other states and lavish it on Jersey and Oregon. Gas stations in Jersey use it to create minimum-wage and part-time jobs, which they treat as a cost of doing business. Every once in a while some noob gas jockey will even clean your windshield. You may tip him or not.

  13. #13
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatTop
    Gas stations in Jersey use it to create minimum-wage and part-time jobs, which they treat as a cost of doing business. Every once in a while some noob gas jockey will even clean your windshield. You may tip him or not.
    I worked as a gas jockey once, well twice, I quit after the second day. Worst job ever.

    We were expected to clean the windshield of every car unless there was a car that needed to be attended to. And, my god, most of them snobs. That, the crappy pay, and having a huge wad of bills in my pocket that I constantly had to fumble with and any money lost would (obviously) come out of our pay check, was why I quit. The pay was so lousy in fact, that I never even bothered to get my money for the two days work, I just kept the shirt and hat they gave me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  14. #14
    Senior Member pedex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,361
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysbest
    I worked as a gas jockey once, well twice, I quit after the second day. Worst job ever.

    We were expected to clean the windshield of every car unless there was a car that needed to be attended to. And, my god, most of them snobs. That, the crappy pay, and having a huge wad of bills in my pocket that I constantly had to fumble with and any money lost would (obviously) come out of our pay check, was why I quit. The pay was so lousy in fact, that I never even bothered to get my money for the two days work, I just kept the shirt and hat they gave me.

    hmm, guess your not jersey's best afterall

  15. #15
    holyrollin' FlatTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer(hot rod 3 sp.), noname cantilever frame 1 sp., Peugeot U-O8, Kia 10 sp., soon-to-be-custom Sears Free Spirit 3sp.(project), department store mountain bike 21 sp.
    Posts
    1,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pedex
    hmm, guess your not jersey's best afterall
    Actually, he is.

  16. #16
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pedex
    hmm, guess your not jersey's best afterall
    No, I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  17. #17
    Faster but still slow slowandsteady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Jersey
    My Bikes
    Trek 830 circa 1993 and a Fuji WSD Finest 1.0 2006
    Posts
    5,979
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree this is a catch. Having visited 4 times, and driven through 2 more times after that, I can say it is not a place I desire to live in.
    North Jersey is a bit of a pit. However, have you been to the beaches, or the mountainous central jersey? Have you been to salem or cumberland counties? I live in Salem county and I have more goats and horses as neighbors than actual people. It is quite nice really. I can also afford much more home and land than I can just minutes over the bridge in PA.

  18. #18
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady
    North Jersey is a bit of a pit. However, have you been to the beaches, or the mountainous central jersey? Have you been to salem or cumberland counties? I live in Salem county and I have more goats and horses as neighbors than actual people. It is quite nice really. I can also afford much more home and land than I can just minutes over the bridge in PA.
    Got Meth?

  19. #19
    In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    2,722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slowandsteady
    North Jersey is a bit of a pit. However, have you been to the beaches, or the mountainous central jersey? Have you been to salem or cumberland counties? I live in Salem county and I have more goats and horses as neighbors than actual people. It is quite nice really. I can also afford much more home and land than I can just minutes over the bridge in PA.
    I grew up in NJ, and there are definitely some nice places like those you mention. But it has the highest population density of any state in the union, which makes me so, so, so, so gald I left. Like the lady says, "New Jersey--It makes me wanna die."
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

  20. #20
    Senior Member VegasVic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    4,164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Democrats in Oregon and New Jersey don't think you're smart enough to pump your own gas without killing yourself.

  21. #21
    In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    2,722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic
    Democrats in Oregon and New Jersey don't think you're smart enough to pump your own gas without killing yourself.
    Actually, the Democratic governor wants a three-month pilot program for self-pumping of gas on the NJ Turnpike to see if it will save money.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

  22. #22
    holyrollin' FlatTop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    L.B.N.J.U.S.A.
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer(hot rod 3 sp.), noname cantilever frame 1 sp., Peugeot U-O8, Kia 10 sp., soon-to-be-custom Sears Free Spirit 3sp.(project), department store mountain bike 21 sp.
    Posts
    1,324
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic
    Democrats in Oregon and New Jersey don't think you're smart enough to pump your own gas without killing yourself.
    From my workaday and social lives, my dealings with my fellow Jerseyites on every level, the impression I get is of a quiet competence and penetrating intelligence, layered with an innate need to be first in any contest, no matter how trivial, and a pure animal cunning that ensures survival.
    I don't know any Democrats. Perhaps we don't exist here in Monmouth County.

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    Actually, the Democratic governor wants a three-month pilot program for self-pumping of gas on the NJ Turnpike to see if it will save money.
    This current governor may well be one for the books, in a state that goes into the books far too often. Have you read of his solutions to our fiscal troubles?

  23. #23
    Senior Member VegasVic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    4,164
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FlatTop
    Have you read of his solutions to our fiscal troubles?
    It's the same solution all Democrats have, raise taxes. The thought of cutting spending never enters their warped minds.

  24. #24
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegasVic
    It's the same solution all Democrats have, raise taxes. The thought of cutting spending never enters their warped minds.
    I don't think the thought of cutting spending enters the mind of any politician or gov't employee.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre View Post
    Cheating: a symptom of the problem.

  25. #25
    In Memory of One Cool Cat Blackberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    My Bikes
    Lemond Victoire, Cannondale.Mountain Bike, two 1980s lugged steel Treks, ancient 1980-something Giant mountain bike converted into a slick tired commuter with mustache handlebars, 1960-something Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    2,722
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerseysbest
    I don't think the thought of cutting spending enters the mind of any politician or gov't employee.
    Check out the national debt clock: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

    There has been more federal debt amassed under the bush administration than all other presidencies combined.
    Dead last finish is better than did not finish and infinitely better than did not start.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •