Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26

Thread: Weird sound?

  1. #1
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Weird sound?

    Why, when my speakers are on, is my computer making a pig squeel sound? Every half of a minute or so a pig squeels.

    I am serious. This isnt a joke!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,926
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    passing gas again, huh?

  3. #3
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blonduathlongrl
    passing gas again, huh?
    What is that supposted to mean?

  4. #4
    Banned Help Im A Noob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    k-town wisconsin
    My Bikes
    trek 4300 wit disk
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it coming out of your speakers?
    if so buy new speakers

  5. #5
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    move your speaker's input cables away from ALL other cables, especially USB. Elevate it or tape it to the wall if you have to.

    What it is, is inductive noise from your other cables finding it's way into the speaker via the under-shielded input cable.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  6. #6
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe if youre on aol someone gets on, and the pig noise is their comingonline noise.

  7. #7
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But i dont think someone would get on and off every half a minute.

  8. #8
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried new speakers. I tried headphones. I exited out all my aol/msn accounts. I made sure the wire wasnt touching the usb cable. The noise is still there.

    But, my mouse's usb input, is right beside the speaker input. Could it be the mouse?

    And I have been having trouble with a trojan, that is getting removed next week. Could it have put the sound on my computer?

  9. #9
    Banned Help Im A Noob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    k-town wisconsin
    My Bikes
    trek 4300 wit disk
    Posts
    144
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol well if it sounds exactly like a pig then yes it is prolly spyware or something, but if its a noise thats kinda like a pig then it might be your speakers. you said you tryed headphones. did it still do it? if so then it is your computer not the speakers.

  10. #10
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like one of those cheap mp3, or whatever else, sounds. I tried everything, and it still does it. Stupid viruses.

  11. #11
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously isolate that cable...not touching does not equal isolated. Are you using onboard sound? If so, disconnect the USB mouse and use a PS/2 one and see if the sound goes away.

    Mice are notorious for transmitting noise....problem is to keep the cable flexible, the cables are often unshielded. For this reason, I often use a shielded extension cable, then hook the mouse to that. I also run shielded cables out from the sound card.

    Pretty much you must experiment with the cabling, and figure out where the noise is coming from. it might just be a really bad onboard sound implementation....in which case, invest $30 in a chaintech AV-710, which is one of those "sleeper value" cards....if you set it up for HQ sound output (re-routes the sound to the rear outputs and is stereo only at that point), the sound quality is good enough for entry level audiophile use....it's also very resistant to any inductive noise issues. I'm going to poin to cabling as the most likely culprit though.

    seriously, put at least 6" between USB and line-level audio signals. Line level audio is extremely sensitive to noise...this has been something that has annoyed many music enthusiasts since the time of tube amps....picking up noise from A/C current, etc.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  12. #12
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since I dont have usb in the rear of my computer, I just unhooked the mouse. The mouse is the only usb devise I have plugged in. It still makes the noise. I might just have to live with it.

    Thanks for the help though.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have Kaspersky Anti-Virus? A pig squeel is the sound they use if a virus is found.

  14. #14
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziemas
    Do you have Kaspersky Anti-Virus? A pig squeel is the sound they use if a virus is found.
    Ding ding ding! We have a winner

    Too bad it wont clean it I have to give the PC to a friend next week to fix it.

    Kaspersky is saying that on another profile, I have four diffrent ones.

  15. #15
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, ok, this was an interesting one.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  16. #16
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roughrider504
    I tried new speakers. I tried headphones. I exited out all my aol/msn accounts. I made sure the wire wasnt touching the usb cable. The noise is still there.

    But, my mouse's usb input, is right beside the speaker input. Could it be the mouse?

    And I have been having trouble with a trojan, that is getting removed next week. Could it have put the sound on my computer?
    edit: ooops, I see this has been figured out.

    If you happen to use Kaspersky antivirus software, its alert noise does sound something like a pig squeal. Am I getting warm? And why are you waiting 'til next week to remove the Trojan?

  17. #17
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nextly,

    1) what version of Kaspersky are you using (5 or 6)

    2) does it have up-to-date antivirus definitions?

    3) what is the name of the Trojan being detected?

    4) what version of Windows do you use (WinXP, Win2000, or whatever)?


    and we can go on from there.

  18. #18
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,945
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Nextly,

    1) what version of Kaspersky are you using (5 or 6)

    2) does it have up-to-date antivirus definitions?

    3) what is the name of the Trojan being detected?

    4) what version of Windows do you use (WinXP, Win2000, or whatever)?


    and we can go on from there.
    5) Who is the wise guy that came up with a pig squeal as an alert noise ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  19. #19
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to wait until next week, because my friend that fixes computers is in USSR currently. He should of been back by now, but i'll give him until next week, until I start to worry about him.

    The Kaspersky I am running now, was installed by him. He couldnt get it to work properly, and when he would of fixed it, had to leave for Russia. This was 7 weeks ago.

    1. I have no clue. But it is the newest.
    2. It should, but it dosent work anyway
    3. "Trojan Installer"
    4. Win Xp home edition.

    I think the trojan is not "alive" currently, because I am not having any adverse effects from it.

  20. #20
    Senior Member mechBgon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    6,957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. The newest Kaspersky antivirus is version 6, which I have too. My suspicion is that you didn't configure it to use all its powers. Try this:

    1) Log on as an Administrator-class user.

    2) Right-click the red K icon and choose Settings.



    3) Click on Protection and ensure that the checkboxes are like you see below.



    4) Click on File Antivirus and scoot the slider up to High. This maxes out the real-time, on-the-fly protection. Notice how the checkboxes are marked to Block access without asking. This is important in defeating some types of malware where multiple parts of it try to guard eachothers' back. Your computer is faster than you are, let it deal with this stuff.



    5) Now click on My Computer, Startup Objects and Critical Areas in the Scan section and max out the slider there to the High setting for each of those three, too.



    6) All rightie Now right-click the red K icon and update the virus definitions, restart the computer if necessary, and run a complete scan by right-clicking the K and choosing Scan My Computer.

    7) Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on, unless you have a different firewall program. It's in Control Panel.

    8) If you haven't been keeping your computer up-to-date, then drag it off to Microsoft Update to get it patched up, then go into Control Panel > Automagic Updates and set the auto-updater to full-automatic mode. Also, if you are using any non-Microsoft web browsers (Opera, FireFox, etc), any non-Microsoft media players (Quicktime, WinAmp, etc), or any other popular add-on software like Adobe Reader, compare your versions to the latest ones available, because all the stuff I just mentioned has vulnerabilities and you want the latest versions of them to minimize your exposure.

    9) if you visit risky sites, or anyone else does, try Limited accounts for that. Make a new Administrator-class account named Admin and then you can shift your user account down to Limited and enjoy better security.

  21. #21
    Senior Member Ziemas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Riga, Latvia
    Posts
    10,076
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roughrider504
    I have to wait until next week, because my friend that fixes computers is in USSR currently. He should of been back by now, but i'll give him until next week, until I start to worry about him.
    He must be REALLY good with computers if he has made a time travel machine!

  22. #22
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    5) Who is the wise guy that came up with a pig squeal as an alert noise ?
    Maybe it's a reference to the movie deliverance? I dunno.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  23. #23
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,945
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    Maybe it's a reference to the movie deliverance? I dunno.
    That's exactly what I was thinking !
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  24. #24
    Car(e) Free! koine2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought this thread was going to be someone who couldn't get a response in the mechanics forum!
    "There is hardly a man or woman who dares to be just what he or she is without doctoring up the impression." --A.W. Tozer

  25. #25
    NJS my life! roughrider504's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    1,214
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mechBgon
    Ok. The newest Kaspersky antivirus is version 6, which I have too. My suspicion is that you didn't configure it to use all its powers. Try this:

    1) Log on as an Administrator-class user.

    2) Right-click the red K icon and choose Settings.



    3) Click on Protection and ensure that the checkboxes are like you see below.



    4) Click on File Antivirus and scoot the slider up to High. This maxes out the real-time, on-the-fly protection. Notice how the checkboxes are marked to Block access without asking. This is important in defeating some types of malware where multiple parts of it try to guard eachothers' back. Your computer is faster than you are, let it deal with this stuff.



    5) Now click on My Computer, Startup Objects and Critical Areas in the Scan section and max out the slider there to the High setting for each of those three, too.



    6) All rightie Now right-click the red K icon and update the virus definitions, restart the computer if necessary, and run a complete scan by right-clicking the K and choosing Scan My Computer.

    7) Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on, unless you have a different firewall program. It's in Control Panel.

    8) If you haven't been keeping your computer up-to-date, then drag it off to Microsoft Update to get it patched up, then go into Control Panel > Automagic Updates and set the auto-updater to full-automatic mode. Also, if you are using any non-Microsoft web browsers (Opera, FireFox, etc), any non-Microsoft media players (Quicktime, WinAmp, etc), or any other popular add-on software like Adobe Reader, compare your versions to the latest ones available, because all the stuff I just mentioned has vulnerabilities and you want the latest versions of them to minimize your exposure.

    9) if you visit risky sites, or anyone else does, try Limited accounts for that. Make a new Administrator-class account named Admin and then you can shift your user account down to Limited and enjoy better security.
    Thanks for trying to help, but the whole thing will not work. It wont let you open the program itself.

    See, the problem was, when he was trying to finish it it would freeze. He could get as far as re-starting the pc, but Kaspersky would stop there. The box to finish it, would freeze every time.

    Right now it tells me "cannot start Kaspersky"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •