Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-06, 05:27 PM   #1
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H
Thread Starter
 
linux_author's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Penniless Park, Fla.
Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BikeForums in AOL User Data!!!!

- by now many of you may have read about AOL's latest debacle: the release of 650,000 of its users' personal information embedded in nearly 2GB of Web-search data... the data represents several months of searches from this year, and while not containing specific usernames (which have been changed to numerical IDs), still contains enough pertinent info to pinpoint real user names, Social Security numbers, and so on...

- the data is available through a number of outlets (torrents, etc.) and seems to have replicated rapidly... i assume AOL techs are now familiar with the phrase 'Pandora's box'?

:-)

- the data is in ASCII, tab-delimited format containing the following fields (from the *README.txt):

AnonID - an anonymous user ID number.
Query - the query issued by the user, case shifted with most punctuation removed.
QueryTime - the time at which the query was submitted for search.
ItemRank - if the user clicked on a search result, the rank of the item on which they clicked is listed.
ClickURL - if the user clicked on a search result, the domain portion of the URL in the clicked result is listed.

- i thought i'd do a quick run-through on how many searches were conducted relating to BF:

zgrep 'bikeforums.net' *gz | wc -l

results in 280 references (in less than 100 seconds on my iBook)

- on the other hand, there were 2,914 refs to 'linux'...

:-)
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 05:44 PM   #2
EJ123
'05 NUEser
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have aol:O
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 10:38 PM   #3
a_fire_inside
Custom User TItle
 
a_fire_inside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123
I have aol:O
sucks for you. and not just because they are releasing info about user searching habits.
a_fire_inside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 07:08 AM   #4
EJ123
'05 NUEser
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, it's horrible. It some times freezes when I first open mail, it randomly kicks me off and automatically restarts the whole thing right when Im in the middle of something, a lot of times this box appears and its like "aol error occured. if you get this repeatedly, restart the system." and when I click ok it pops up again and again, and Im forced to turn off the red master power button. It takes twice as long to open a website than firefox or internet explorer does. Garg.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 08:50 AM   #5
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123
No, it's horrible. It some times freezes when I first open mail, it randomly kicks me off and automatically restarts the whole thing right when Im in the middle of something, a lot of times this box appears and its like "aol error occured. if you get this repeatedly, restart the system." and when I click ok it pops up again and again, and Im forced to turn off the red master power button. It takes twice as long to open a website than firefox or internet explorer does. Garg.
That's a few of the reason's it's called AO-HELL!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 05:20 PM   #6
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H
Thread Starter
 
linux_author's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Penniless Park, Fla.
Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2
Posts: 2,750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
That's a few of the reason's it's called AO-HELL!
- yep, the service has never been good for me (although i don't know what the mother-in-law is going to do now, as it is the only way she knows of using the Internet)...

- my second wife worked at the USA Today business office in Newington, Va. in the late 80s... right next door was a small strip-mall sized office for Quantum Computing... little did i know that the tiny shop would later grow into the clumsy behemoth it is today (you should see the AOL 'pyramids' in N. Va.!)

- i did have a use for AOL as an hurricane 'emergency' email tool though; quite handy to be able to get Internet connectivity even during a power outage (hookup via phone and notebook running on batteries - no electricity required)...

- how i used AOL was a bit different though; i would connect via the AOL client, but then minimize the app, update /etc/resolve.conf with my own set of DNS nameserver addresses, and then simply use the native Mac OS X mail client and firefox - AOL simply provided the (albeit slow) connection... worked in a pinch!

:-)
linux_author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 08:07 PM   #7
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,119
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linux_author
- yep, the service has never been good for me (although i don't know what the mother-in-law is going to do now, as it is the only way she knows of using the Internet)...

- my second wife worked at the USA Today business office in Newington, Va. in the late 80s... right next door was a small strip-mall sized office for Quantum Computing... little did i know that the tiny shop would later grow into the clumsy behemoth it is today (you should see the AOL 'pyramids' in N. Va.!)

- i did have a use for AOL as an hurricane 'emergency' email tool though; quite handy to be able to get Internet connectivity even during a power outage (hookup via phone and notebook running on batteries - no electricity required)...

- how i used AOL was a bit different though; i would connect via the AOL client, but then minimize the app, update /etc/resolve.conf with my own set of DNS nameserver addresses, and then simply use the native Mac OS X mail client and firefox - AOL simply provided the (albeit slow) connection... worked in a pinch!

:-)
I did the same thing many moons ago! I still had unreliable access! I'd be crawling along and all of a sudden I'd get booted! My emergency back up is cellular hookup for access and up to 8 hrs backup battery setup, also a prevention of data loss if power goes and stabilizes the line voltage when I fire up the generator to power the house. We had a 3 day power outage this spring due to storm damage and I never even had a service interruption at all! (Fortunately, My ISP servers are on a different local grid than the house and I didn't have to use the cellular setup, just keep my cable modem powered!)
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 AM.