Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-15-06, 07:51 AM   #1
Karldar
SNIKT!
Thread Starter
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help out the Karldar #11(?). What kind of bike to get?

Okay, so I'm gonna start riding road. The recent glut of stupid, life-giving rain has prompted this decision to try the dark side. I hate not being able to ride because the trails are all delicate and whatnot.

I know I can get a decent road bike at a reasonable price, but I really want a CX bike so I can go off-road and maybe race CX if I'm so inclined. That will probably be a bit more expensive according to my research thus far. I might be able to get a roadie soon(next couple a months). An entry level CX will probably have to wait until the end of this year/beginning of next year or so. I already checked out the respective forums, but I thought I'd ask my foo family.

Try to talk me into/out of, um, whatever it is I'm talking about.
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 07:54 AM   #2
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here is your new road bike:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 07:55 AM   #3
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If it don't say Trek, it ain't a bike! Take that with a grain of salt. I am an old school trek rider, bought my first one in 1984. I like the CX idea, but have you ridden one? I would set a budget and ride as many bikes as I could in my price range, then make my decision. Buy the one that fits the best.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 07:55 AM   #4
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
You can get a nice Schwinn Paramount real cheap from ebay. As a matter of fact you can get all kinds of good used bikes from ebay, the only reason I mention Paramounts being that I have a Peleton (chinese made paramount- lugs), and its a very good bike. As for CX racing, that ain't my thing.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 07:57 AM   #5
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's easy, if you don't care about looks and brand names. Go garage-sale hunting for an older, solidly built steel frame. Replace worn components, put on CX tires. Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred at most!
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 08:36 AM   #6
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Yeah... you looking for new badass hightech badassness or something used just to get you on the road? I sez get an IRO Rob Roy and ride CX fixed and steel all the racers' girlfriends because you'll be oozing manliness. It's also relatively inexpensive... Or spend a little (a lot) more and get the sexyness that is a Kelly frame.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 08:37 AM   #7
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
That's easy, if you don't care about looks and brand names. Go garage-sale hunting for an older, solidly built steel frame. Replace worn components, put on CX tires. Shouldn't be more than a couple hundred at most!
And if you want to get nutso with the build, braze a set of canti bosses onto the frame.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 08:50 AM   #8
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
Yeah... you looking for new badass hightech badassness or something used just to get you on the road? I sez get an IRO Rob Roy and ride CX fixed and steel all the racers' girlfriends because you'll be oozing manliness. It's also relatively inexpensive... Or spend a little (a lot) more and get the sexyness that is a Kelly frame.
Dude, you totally stole what I was gonna say, but I gotta say you got good taste! BTW, check my sig Karldar for what a Rob Roy looks like. Deep V rims to take the punishment, fixed gear, front brake and bad-ass. Women will swoon when they see you bust a skid into a trackstand and ride backwards circles around their girly-men.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 08:57 AM   #9
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Dude, you totally stole what I was gonna say, but I gotta say you got good taste! BTW, check my sig Karldar for what a Rob Roy looks like. Deep V rims to take the punishment, fixed gear, front brake and bad-ass. Women will swoon when they see you bust a skid into a trackstand and ride backwards circles around their girly-men.
That is a good lookin' bike. How does it ride? I'd like to get one of those or an On-One Pompino to replace my current fixed. That might have to end up as a tax-return project, though, so it'll have to wait a while.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 08:58 AM   #10
superdex
staring at the mountains
 
superdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Bikes: 1x9 mtb commuter, Javelin Boca
Posts: 3,735
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
Or spend a little (a lot) more and get the sexyness that is a Kelly frame.

A moment of silence please. Kelly is closing their doors. Actually, the doors are already closed, and they're selling pretty much everything. Which is lucky for you if you're looking for a new ride:
http://www.kellybike.com/2nd_rr_gobsale.html

Worth looking into....
superdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:03 AM   #11
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdex
A moment of silence please. Kelly is closing their doors. Actually, the doors are already closed, and they're selling pretty much everything. Which is lucky for you if you're looking for a new ride:
http://www.kellybike.com/2nd_rr_gobsale.html

Worth looking into....
Damn. Any news on why? But, yeah, $500 for the Knobby X is a steal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:13 AM   #12
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
That is a good lookin' bike. How does it ride? I'd like to get one of those or an On-One Pompino to replace my current fixed. That might have to end up as a tax-return project, though, so it'll have to wait a while.
Smooth like buttah, flows like water. It's lighter than my roadie and climbs like a billygoat. It's my favorite bike.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:14 AM   #13
Karldar
SNIKT!
Thread Starter
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
D'oh! I totally forgot that I have a sexy(lugged steel) old(25-30 years) Raleigh frame in my garage. Maybe I'll restorate it or somethin' for now. I even have some of the components still, just not sure which ones. I'll hafta look. Of course, I don't know if it'll even fit me.

Otherwise, I have pretty much no idear what youse guys are talkin' 'bout. If, for instance, I want to do 50+ mile rides, wouldn't a fixie kinda suck? Not tryin' to be an ass, just wondering. I'm probably gonna be suffering enough wearing all my MTB gear on the road anyway. I should be able to afford a bike and/or parts, but definitely not any OCP gear....
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:14 AM   #14
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shush you guys! This is supposed to be a moment of silence!
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:17 AM   #15
Karldar
SNIKT!
Thread Starter
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
Smooth like buttah, flows like water. It's lighter than my roadie and climbs like a billygoat. It's my favorite bike.
You and your stupid bike porn! My favorite color, even! How's about those bullhorns? What kinda pedals ya got on it? And why is the sky blue?
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:17 AM   #16
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karldar
D'oh! I totally forgot that I have a sexy(lugged steel) old(25-30 years) Raleigh frame in my garage. Maybe I'll restorate it or somethin' for now. I even have some of the components still, just not sure which ones. I'll hafta look. Of course, I don't know if it'll even fit me.

Otherwise, I have pretty much no idear what youse guys are talkin' 'bout. If, for instance, I want to do 50+ mile rides, wouldn't a fixie kinda suck? Not tryin' to be an ass, just wondering. I'm probably gonna be suffering enough wearing all my MTB gear on the road anyway. I should be able to afford a bike and/or parts, but definitely not any OCP gear....
Buy used! Even if you want something more or less modern. Thousands of yuppies every day (well, maybe not THAT many) buy nice road bikes, ride them 5 times, then sell them on eBay for half what they paid - especially the entry-level stuff, it's stupid how cheap it can be used. If you're already experienced on MTB's, you probably know enough to buy a bike on your own, and you can save a ton.
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:32 AM   #17
Karldar
SNIKT!
Thread Starter
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
Buy used! Even if you want something more or less modern. Thousands of yuppies every day (well, maybe not THAT many) buy nice road bikes, ride them 5 times, then sell them on eBay for half what they paid - especially the entry-level stuff, it's stupid how cheap it can be used. If you're already experienced on MTB's, you probably know enough to buy a bike on your own, and you can save a ton.
I have to admit, I hadn't even thought of that, really. I'm too easily lured to the new and shiny stuff. *strikes a heroic pose* "To the eBay!"
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:32 AM   #18
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karldar
You and your stupid bike porn! My favorite color, even! How's about those bullhorns? What kinda pedals ya got on it? And why is the sky blue?
I've done 50+ mile rides on my fixie w/ no problems. And while you'd think NYC is mostly flat, which it is, riding up and down bridges is like getting in a bunch of hill workouts. I was even thinking of doing a century on it til I twisted my knee. Now I'll probably just settle for another 50+ miler at next month's NYC Century ride. As for the bullhorns, they're great for extra hand positions, for giving you leverage on out of the saddle climbs and sprints and for skipping and skidding. Depending on how strong you are now, a month or two on a fixie will make your legs even stronger so when you jump back on your mtb, you'll be pedaling longer w/o constantly shifting and you'll climb better. It also helps you work on your spin which is good for mtb's too when doing seated climbs and keeping a good pace.

The pedals are Shimano 545's, but you can fit any pedal you want on it. I ride mtb shoes and pedals cuz they're easier to walk around in.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:35 AM   #19
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
If your old Raleigh still fits, it wouldn't be too difficult to convert it to a CX bike. Most likely has 27" wheels which will give you a little more clearance for larger/knobby tires if you switch to 700c. Brazing on a set of canti bosses wouldn't be that difficult. Repaint it with a bunch of naked ladies and you'll have the coolect CX bike in the neighborhood!
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:36 AM   #20
Karldar
SNIKT!
Thread Starter
 
Karldar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Home for wayward mutants
Bikes: '06 Kona Dawg Deluxe/'06 Cannondale F400(frame)/'98 Cannondale SuperV1000
Posts: 1,560
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
I've done 50+ mile rides on my fixie w/ no problems. And while you'd think NYC is mostly flat, which it is, riding up and down bridges is like getting in a bunch of hill workouts. I was even thinking of doing a century on it til I twisted my knee. Now I'll probably just settle for another 50+ miler at next month's NYC Century ride. As for the bullhorns, they're great for extra hand positions, for giving you leverage on out of the saddle climbs and sprints and for skipping and skidding. Depending on how strong you are now, a month or two on a fixie will make your legs even stronger so when you jump back on your mtb, you'll be pedaling longer w/o constantly shifting and you'll climb better. It also helps you work on your spin which is good for mtb's too when doing seated climbs and keeping a good pace.
You evil man! Quit trying to lure me to the other dark side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyossarian
The pedals are Shimano 545's, but you can fit any pedal you want on it. I ride mtb shoes and pedals cuz they're easier to walk around in.
I thought they looked familiar. I had those on my HT MTB, until I broke the frame and gave 'em to my ride partner for his Tassajarra. Runnin' Time ATAC's now. Me likey!
__________________
I like pie!
"The bright flicker of our television screens is the stolen incandescence of a thousand young minds." - Theodore W. Gray
"you taught us to fish while so many others were handing out tuna sandwiches" - Ziggurat
Karldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 09:42 AM   #21
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BTW, I'm overweight by like 60-70 lbs. So I'm not in great shape and yet I can still move a fixie around for some decent miles and decent pace. Didn't take long either to get used to.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 12:32 PM   #22
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Karldar! Check this out! It's marqueemoon's new bike! He posted about it in the Commuting forum.



Nice big knobbies, cantis and it's a SS. Come over to the dark side. The water's fine.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 12:39 PM   #23
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))
 
Serendipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
Posts: 5,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kona Jake The Snake

Lemond Poprad/ Poprad Disc

Planet X Haffenback<---Methinks this is my next bike.
Serendipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-06, 12:54 PM   #24
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karldar
I'm probably gonna be suffering enough wearing all my MTB gear on the road anyway. I should be able to afford a bike and/or parts, but definitely not any OCP gear....
Naw, us roadies are very accepting. I say gear up, full face helment, baggie jersey and shorts, all or your armor, and come join us for a nice relaxed road ride!
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:26 AM.