Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-10-06, 04:43 PM   #1
rover
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Bikes: 198? Raleigh Technium
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bye Bye Schumi

Since no one else started one, here's a thread for Schumacher's retirement. I've always been a massive fan of his, but was beginning to think that another season or two might not be the best idea. The sport will not be the same without him. Kimi in a Ferrari vs Alonso in Mclaren will be sweet in '07. Here's to hoping Schumi can end it with championship #8.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 04:57 PM   #2
Chucklehead
Whateverthehell
 
Chucklehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: U.S.S.A.
Bikes: '06 Blue Competition RC5AL w/ritchey pro fork, spinergy stealth PBO, etc.
Posts: 7,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm beginning to wonder how great this new rivalry will be. kimi and alonso have both shown very little ability to develop a car. mclaren hasn't improved at all since the days of hakinnen, and alonso won the championship last year after inheriting what was already a good car. now he's about to lose the championship single-handedly.
another sad thing is that kimi has about the dryest personality i've ever seen. "i won. this is good. maybe next week we will win again. this will also be good."

oh well. but yeah, very sad that schumacher is leaving. maybe he'll have second thoughts and end-up back in the (benetton)renault.
__________________
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo daVinci
Chucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 05:09 PM   #3
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,950
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Isn't Schumi one of those things they serve when you eat Dim Sum?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 05:34 PM   #4
Ernesto Schwein
64 49' N
 
Ernesto Schwein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog hair
i'm beginning to wonder how great this new rivalry will be. kimi and alonso have both shown very little ability to develop a car. mclaren hasn't improved at all since the days of hakinnen, and alonso won the championship last year after inheriting what was already a good car. now he's about to lose the championship single-handedly.
another sad thing is that kimi has about the dryest personality i've ever seen. "i won. this is good. maybe next week we will win again. this will also be good."

oh well. but yeah, very sad that schumacher is leaving. maybe he'll have second thoughts and end-up back in the (benetton)renault.
In his defense Kimi is probably a little more sparkling in finnish. There is such a shuffle of drivers coming up that next season is totally up in the air but I think there is a good chance Schumi will take it this year and if he wanted to settle for a few less euros he could probably make a good run at it next year if he could bury the hatchet with Ron Dennis or Flavio. He's really quite young and I think he genuinely enjoys racing, he wouldn't come cheap but not many can turn as fast a lap. Anything but NASCAR.
Ernesto Schwein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 05:47 PM   #5
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
another sad thing is that kimi has about the dryest personality i've ever seen. "i won. this is good. maybe next week we will win again. this will also be good."
Lol
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 05:59 PM   #6
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hope Michael and Ferrari end it with one last championship. I wonder if we will see him show up anywhere else? Would be nace to see a Ferrari in NASCAR.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

Last edited by jsharr; 09-10-06 at 07:21 PM.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 06:02 PM   #7
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog hair
i'm beginning to wonder how great this new rivalry will be. kimi and alonso have both shown very little ability to develop a car. mclaren hasn't improved at all since the days of hakinnen, and alonso won the championship last year after inheriting what was already a good car. now he's about to lose the championship single-handedly.
another sad thing is that kimi has about the dryest personality i've ever seen. "i won. this is good. maybe next week we will win again. this will also be good."

oh well. but yeah, very sad that schumacher is leaving. maybe he'll have second thoughts and end-up back in the (benetton)renault.
rofl. where is Kimi from?
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 06:04 PM   #8
the wonginator
Shreddin' heaven on his 20"
 
the wonginator's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: markham, ontario, canada aka chinatown north
Bikes:
Posts: 1,151
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
he's a finn.
the wonginator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 06:16 PM   #9
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr
Hope and Ferrari end it with one last championship. I wonder if we will see him show up anywhere else? Would be nace to see a Ferrari in NASCAR.
Ha, i'm guessing you didn't hear what MS said about Nascar when news of montoya switching got there.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 06:21 PM   #10
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was about to make a post about it, I came back from a century, did a few things, then watched the race. I didn't care for Lance when he left cycling but for some reason I was a bit emotional when schumi announced his retirement.

They don't call Kimi the Ice Man for no reason.
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 07:04 PM   #11
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Indiana
Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast
Posts: 1,376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Schu will be missed in the sport. He certainly defined "attack mode" driving like no other.
auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 08:17 PM   #12
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you freakin' kidding me!? Good riddance! Don't let the door hit you in the *ss on the way out Mikey. Flame me if you like but this is my opinion. He's overated. Until recently...he's always been able to bring a Ferrari to a horse race.

While I respect his talent and his titles, he was not a very good sportsman and (at least during the majority of the Ferrari years) drove a car that was often far superior to the other drivers. The sport has only recently made real strides to level the playing field somewhat for the other teams who do not have to epicly large wallet that Ferrari has. And Gee...suddenly he's not dominating everyone...hmmm... go figure. Very seldom did you see him own up to on track incidents that were his fault and other incidents like the Monaco qualifying crap he pulled this year, trying to run Villenueve off the track in the last race of 97 season etc..are just a few of the many reasons I say " addios Mikey...F1 will be better off without you."
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 08:30 PM   #13
PhilThee
Downhill Racer
 
PhilThee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes: 1994 Bridgestone RB1, 2006 Cannondale R1000, 2007 Cannondale Caad9 Optimo2
Posts: 739
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
rofl. where is Kimi from?
Uranus. I mean space man, ya that's it, space...

At the end of the season I will have no reason to watch.
__________________
"I didn't see him/her" is a confession, not an excuse.
PhilThee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 08:59 PM   #14
karmical
THC Freedom Fighter
 
karmical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: OaKsTeRdAm
Bikes:
Posts: 1,112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle17
He's overated.
While I respect his talent and his titles, he was not a very good sportsman and (at least during the majority of the Ferrari years) drove a car that was often far superior to the other drivers.

The sport has only recently made real strides to level the playing field somewhat for the other teams who do not have to epicly large wallet that Ferrari has. And Gee...suddenly he's not dominating everyone...hmmm... go figure. F1 will be better off without you."

overated...

you've got to be the one kidding me.


the man is completely on another level than the rest of the field, knows what it takes to win not just races, but championships...

neither benetton or ferrari had far superior cars or programs.

plus they've been trying to level the playing field for years and he dominated all...

start talking that "greatest ever stuff" and the man belongs in that discussion.

some of his monaco drives over the years were just what formula racing was meant to be...imo

and in the wet...come on...name his better... in modern times...

i would of loved to see him and aryton battle it out, once he settled down a bit...we were so robbed....

i'm hoping schms' doesn't do it in the end, i'm greedy...

i want more...

these new guys just aren't getting it down for me...

but F1 always lives on...
__________________
Smoke all you want too, we'll grow more...
karmical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 09:20 PM   #15
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle17
Are you freakin' kidding me!? Good riddance! Don't let the door hit you in the *ss on the way out Mikey. Flame me if you like but this is my opinion. He's overated. Until recently...he's always been able to bring a Ferrari to a horse race.

While I respect his talent and his titles, he was not a very good sportsman and (at least during the majority of the Ferrari years) drove a car that was often far superior to the other drivers. The sport has only recently made real strides to level the playing field somewhat for the other teams who do not have to epicly large wallet that Ferrari has. And Gee...suddenly he's not dominating everyone...hmmm... go figure. Very seldom did you see him own up to on track incidents that were his fault and other incidents like the Monaco qualifying crap he pulled this year, trying to run Villenueve off the track in the last race of 97 season etc..are just a few of the many reasons I say " addios Mikey...F1 will be better off without you."
But from the sounds of it, regardless of how much of an ******* he was, he seemed to be the most ineresting and entertaining character in that sports/event/whatever it is.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 09:24 PM   #16
rover
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Harrisburg, PA
Bikes: 198? Raleigh Technium
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I admit Michael has his flaws, but if he is so overated why would they have to level the playing field to compensate for him?

Regarding Kimi. He really used to tick me off in his early Mclaren days. I could understand about 1 in every 5 words he said. He has now vastly improved to 1 in 3. Normally I can't stand it when a driver does well and doesn't really seem to give a crap about it, but for some reason it is comical with Kimi.

Speaking of emotionless drivers, did anyone see Kubica in the interview today? Priceless.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 09:28 PM   #17
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmical
overated...

you've got to be the one kidding me.


the man is completely on another level than the rest of the field, knows what it takes to win not just races, but championships...

neither benetton or ferrari had far superior cars or programs.

plus they've been trying to level the playing field for years and he dominated all...

start talking that "greatest ever stuff" and the man belongs in that discussion.

some of his monaco drives over the years were just what formula racing was meant to be...imo

and in the wet...come on...name his better... in modern times...

i would of loved to see him and aryton battle it out, once he settled down a bit...we were so robbed....

i'm hoping schms' doesn't do it in the end, i'm greedy...

i want more...

these new guys just aren't getting it down for me...

but F1 always lives on...
My opinions as a long time F1 follower and yours. We are both entitled to them.

Yes..he is extremely talented (i never said he wasn't)and yes, he in all probability is one of the best wet weather drivers of all time. BUT...I have to utterly shake my head at you saying that Ferrari didn't have far superior cars/programs through almost all of the years Michael was there!!?? Are you freakin' kidding ME!? Man! Get real on that one! That is why I say he is overated. If you don't think having vastly superior budgets and equipment makes you look like superman...perhaps you aren't involved in racing. I have been for many years.

Otherwise...like I said..your opinion...my opinion...we're both entitled. Mostly, I never like him as a sportsman and he lack of remorse for anything he did on the track. His commments about american racing and nascar drivers in particular put the final nail in his coffin for me. So he thinks Tony Stewart has no pure driving gifts(although I'm not a fan of his at all I see the talent) or how about Jeff Gordon? or Robby Gordon?? Or road racers like Borris Said? No Michael is and always has been about Michael and his ego.

I agree that losing Aryton was tragic and a great loss to F1 and the fans.

I pray that he retires, as the sport will be better off without him. Alonso, Riakkonen, Massa, Rosberg, Speed and others will step in and win races. More winners, means less "Oh...Ferrari and Schu are 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else?....Wake me when it's exciting again O.K." Last year and this year have been two of the most interesting F1 seasons in a long, long time (Indy05 excluded). The sport will not suffer when he is gone. I for one think it will be better off in the long run. Go Alonso!!
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 09:37 PM   #18
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover
Yeah, I admit Michael has his flaws, but if he is so overated why would they have to level the playing field to compensate for him?.
Equipment!!! Research how EPIC the budget of Ferrari has been (and still is) in relationship to the other teams. No one will ever tell me that he wasn't in far superior cars almost all the years he was with Ferrari. Equipment, budgets and R&D/testing time etc... is what F1 has been trying to level out in the sport for a while now. And Ferrari was by far the biggest offender here. But Ferrari would have none of it, even when every other team agreed on it. Now that in itself is not Schumacher's fault mind you. BUT...He's overated, because he got to bring a Ferrari to a chariot race for a good many years now. So they were not so much compensating for him, but for the superior car/team/testing etc.. that Ferrari provided him with. He knows he's not going to dominate with the car like he used to , not have as big of technical advantage as he has had so he's stepping aside. He's smart actually. I don't buy the whole... "his skills have diminished" thing. He sees the hadwriting on the wall and knows it's better to go out on top than get his ass handed to him in the future.
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 06:12 AM   #19
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Um, if it was all about budget, research, investment, and money, I think Toyota would be in a weeee bit of a better place, considering they spent more on their engine alone than most other teams (save Ferrari) spent on EVERYTHING for the season.

I'm a diehard MS fan, but I try not to argue about it. If other people can't recognise his brilliance, that's their problem, not mine.

Quote:
I pray that he retires, as the sport will be better off without him. Alonso, Riakkonen, Massa, Rosberg, Speed and others will step in and win races. More winners, means less "Oh...Ferrari and Schu are 2 seconds a lap faster than everyone else?....Wake me when it's exciting again O.K." Last year and this year have been two of the most interesting F1 seasons in a long, long time (Indy05 excluded). The sport will not suffer when he is gone. I for one think it will be better off in the long run. Go Alonso
This seems like a pretty common argument, and my counter is this: What do you watch racing for? For competition, or for greatness? Personally, I'm in it for greatness - I want to see a stupidly fast car piloted by a stupidly talented driver, supported by an amazingly talented team. If no one else can keep up, that doesn't make it less exciting for me.

Coming from that perspective, MS and Ferrari's absolute, total, world-beating, record-smashing domination for the last 6 -8 years (save this and last year, of course) have been the most exciting thing possible.

On the other hand, it seems like you're coming at this from a perspective of "I want to see neck-and-neck competition." That's great, I guess - but if you have to cheer for the best driver from the best team to retire to get what you want, aren't you kind of cutting off the head of the sport? It would be like baseball fans getting excited when Babe Ruth retired because, hey - finally - we can see LESSER players and teams do well! YIPPEE! That just doesn't make sense to me.
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 07:08 AM   #20
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
Um, if it was all about budget, research, investment, and money, I think Toyota would be in a weeee bit of a better place, considering they spent more on their engine alone than most other teams (save Ferrari) spent on EVERYTHING for the season.

I'm a diehard MS fan, but I try not to argue about it. If other people can't recognise his brilliance, that's their problem, not mine.



This seems like a pretty common argument, and my counter is this: What do you watch racing for? For competition, or for greatness? Personally, I'm in it for greatness - I want to see a stupidly fast car piloted by a stupidly talented driver, supported by an amazingly talented team. If no one else can keep up, that doesn't make it less exciting for me.

Coming from that perspective, MS and Ferrari's absolute, total, world-beating, record-smashing domination for the last 6 -8 years (save this and last year, of course) have been the most exciting thing possible.

On the other hand, it seems like you're coming at this from a perspective of "I want to see neck-and-neck competition." That's great, I guess - but if you have to cheer for the best driver from the best team to retire to get what you want, aren't you kind of cutting off the head of the sport? It would be like baseball fans getting excited when Babe Ruth retired because, hey - finally - we can see LESSER players and teams do well! YIPPEE! That just doesn't make sense to me.
That was the way it was with Lance Armstrong too
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 08:14 AM   #21
Dead Extra #2
Mostly Harmless
 
Dead Extra #2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sittin' on a bench at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Bikes: Giant OCR1, Giant ATX760, Raleigh Retroglide Seven
Posts: 905
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by operator
Ha, i'm guessing you didn't hear what MS said about Nascar when news of montoya switching got there.
What did he say? I was sure someone would say what what I was thinking but I missed it in the news. I still can't believe JP left F1.

Its sad to see MS go, but I think it's time. It is always painfull to watch a former champion fade into oblivion. I remember watching him in the early 90's and it was obvious he had great talent. If I remember correctly, his Benetton car was not up to par with the cars of Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansel and he seemed to be able to hang with them.

As far as the future goes, I think Raikkonnen and Alonso will provide plenty of exciting racing (if not post race interviews ). I think most of KR's problem have been his team/car but we'll see.
Dead Extra #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 08:32 AM   #22
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Extra #2
What did he say? I was sure someone would say what what I was thinking but I missed it in the news. I still can't believe JP left F1.
Of all the F1 drivers, he made the most sense switching to NASCAR, imho. He's definitely a "personality" and seems to like aggressive moves, and being in the mix close to other cars - if you look back, his "greatest moments" all seem to be daring (stooopid, IMHO) passes, not ultra-quick solo laps.

Quote:
If I remember correctly, his Benetton car was not up to par with the cars of Ayrton Senna and Nigel Mansel and he seemed to be able to hang with them.
How soon people forget! When he signed with Ferrari, there was an exodus of support staff from Benetton to Ferrari. I don't recall any other such move of non-drivers following a driver, IMHO that shows he had support and recognition from the people close to him.
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 09:17 AM   #23
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie
 
Juha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Bikes:
Posts: 6,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto Schwein
In his defense Kimi is probably a little more sparkling in finnish.
Y'all have to take my word on this: he is not. Not in his official statements anyway. I've never seen him in real life, so for all I know he could be a real sunshine there...

And I have mixed feelings about Schumi. While he is a great driver, some of his stunts during the years have been stupid, un-sportsmanlike and outright dangerous. And with Ferrari now complaining about Alonso vs. Massa in Monza and getting Alonso's starting position moved back it seems the whole team is on the Dark Side. I hope they regain some manners for the remaining 3 races, but I won't be holding my breath.

One person worth watching will be Kovalainen as he starts as a Renault race driver... as a test driver he has more experience in the Renault F1 car than anyone else.

--J
__________________
To err is human. To moo is bovine.

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?


Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Juha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 09:21 AM   #24
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
Um, if it was all about budget, research, investment, and money, I think Toyota would be in a weeee bit of a better place, considering they spent more on their engine alone than most other teams (save Ferrari) spent on EVERYTHING for the season.

This seems like a pretty common argument, and my counter is this: What do you watch racing for? For competition, or for greatness?
On the other hand, it seems like you're coming at this from a perspective of "I want to see neck-and-neck competition." That's great, I guess - but if you have to cheer for the best driver from the best team to retire to get what you want, aren't you kind of cutting off the head of the sport? It would be like baseball fans getting excited when Babe Ruth retired because, hey - finally - we can see LESSER players and teams do well! YIPPEE! That just doesn't make sense to me.
Toyota does spend a boat load of money (second only to Ferrair I think). But they don't have a true championship caliber driver on that team.

I watch all sports primarily for the competition aspect, but I can appreciate greatness. I'm more of the neck and neck, excitment, close competition guy than the two seconds faster a lap, in a better car lapping the filed snooze fest that F1 was for quite some time.

Not cutting off the head. Just, giving other talented drivers a chance to shine. Let's face it...there are even less quality rides in F1 than in Nascar or the IRL etc... Maybe three teams a season have had any real shot at a drivers championship. Even though I'm a big fan, this has always been a huge problem for F1 racing IMHO.

The sport will be better without him. Like it or not, it's more intersting when any one of say five or six guys could potentially win any given gran prix. Right now, there are basically two Michael and Fernando. Maybe throw Kimi into that mix, but that's it this year. One guy winning twelve races does not makes for very exciting racing when he clearly is going away from the entire field in his uber car. Just not a fan of Schu, if you are that's fine. I'm not. We'll agree to have differing points of view I guess.
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 09:24 AM   #25
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juha
Y'all have to take my word on this: he is not. Not in his official statements anyway. I've never seen him in real life, so for all I know he could be a real sunshine there...

And I have mixed feelings about Schumi. While he is a great driver, some of his stunts during the years have been stupid, un-sportsmanlike and outright dangerous. And with Ferrari now complaining about Alonso vs. Massa in Monza and getting Alonso's starting position moved back it seems the whole team is on the Dark Side. I hope they regain some manners for the remaining 3 races, but I won't be holding my breath.

One person worth watching will be Kovalainen as he starts as a Renault race driver... as a test driver he has more experience in the Renault F1 car than anyone else.

--J
This was an excellent post. Good to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. I've not commented on the Massa/Alnoso qualifying thing until now, but I watched it and I think it was not justified to penalize him. If anything, he probably pulled Massa along. BUT again.... Ferrari is Ferrari.
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 AM.