Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-11-06, 06:43 PM   #1
R600DuraAce
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Got offended getting caught using a faked credit card.

I don't see how can anyone feeling so offended getting caught using a faked credit card. I manage a retail store specializing in video gaming entertainment. First guy. Wanted to a buy an Xbox 360 system with a DiscoverCard. My staff knew it was faked but asked me to confirm it. The card has a very flat or non reflective DiscoverCard emblem. The signature part has a type-looking label on it. Took me a moment to break this news to him. I told him his card was faked and said that mine didn't look like that (I pulled out mine and to show him the real thing BTW). He said he was very offended and insisted that his card was different because his was from some country in South America. Hahahaha........ "Yeah, different DiscoverCard," I told him sarcastically. I said to him he should let me have his card and I would call the bank to confirm it. This dumbass left the store. I told him I was very offended because he was trying to use a faked credit card. I told him to get the hell out of my store and not to return ever again.

20 minutes later, the second guy. He was about to purchase an Xbox 360 system, Madden 07, and an extra controller. When you have worked in the retail industry long enough, not too long, you can tell who is a "faked" customer. This guy didn't care how much he was about to spend because it didn't take him long enough to make all the purchase decisions. He didn’t even care what they hell he was buying. I was about to leave but decided to see how this transaction turned out. He was paying with a Macy's Visa. This one was really good. Emblem checked out OK. Some what real looking. Something was wrong with this card. This dude got nervous and said that he wanted his card back. Ah!!! I noticed then his card was missing the "V" logo and the word "Visa" was totally incorrect.

I told him his card was faked because I have couple of Visa cards myself. I pulled mine out and showed him the missing "V" on his card. BTW, there were 4 or 6 customers in the store as well as 2 of my staff witnessing the whole "show." I was still holding his card and he said his was different because it was a Macy's card. Hahahaha..... Where these people come up with an excuse like that? He was extremely upset and angry and he demanded me to give him back his card. I gave it to him and told him to leave now. I threatened him with the "I will call the police and the bank." He said I won't do it because I would get fired. I said to him "no, YOU….. will get arrested." I looked at him straight into this eyes and waited for couple of seconds for him to get my message. I insisted again he should leave now. He left but came back with some credit card user contract. Apparently, this dude wasn't getting the message. I opened one of the registers and pulled out a business card with a number of one of the detectives. I told him to wait for a police officer to come. He left of course.

I am sure these scum must have a twisted moral reason for using a faked credit card
R600DuraAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 06:50 PM   #2
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You were too nice to them, I would've made some excuse like, "Our lines are buggy today, I gotta use the swiper, be right back with a copy for you to sign.", then disappear into a back room and called the cops. Who knows how many other shops have been taken in by these crooks!!!
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 06:56 PM   #3
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You should have kept the cards, and turned the forgeries into the police, or at least offered to give it back once the police arrive and verify it's authenticity.

No fraudster is going to report you for "stealing" their fraudulent cards, considering counterfeiting, and fraud at the least is a FAR harder set of charges than stealing a fake card to turn into the authorities.

Of course the game is you have to call the police before they can.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 06:58 PM   #4
R600DuraAce
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That's a good idea but I will run the risk of endangering my customers and my staff. We don't have a LP guy in the store and not many of us are trained to handle the "criminal types."


Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
You were too nice to them, I would've made some excuse like, "Our lines are buggy today, I gotta use the swiper, be right back with a copy for you to sign.", then disappear into a back room and called the cops. Who knows how many other shops have been taken in by these crooks!!!
R600DuraAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 07:01 PM   #5
R600DuraAce
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The recent trend in identity theft is usnig a real credit card but encoded with another person's credit card numbers. We got burnt once and caught the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic
You should have kept the cards, and turned the forgeries into the police, or at least offered to give it back once the police arrive and verify it's authenticity.

No fraudster is going to report you for "stealing" their fraudulent cards, considering counterfeiting, and fraud at the least is a FAR harder set of charges than stealing a fake card to turn into the authorities.

Of course the game is you have to call the police before they can.
R600DuraAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 07:22 PM   #6
skiahh
Senior Member
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R600DuraAce
When you have worked in the retail industry long enough, not too long, you can tell who is a "faked" customer. This guy didn't care how much he was about to spend because it didn't take him long enough to make all the purchase decisions.
This makes me doubt your ability to actually spot a fake card since you'd most likely label me a "faked" customer. I typically research a large purchase and when I'm ready to buy, if I don't order online, walk into the store, grab the stuff I'm buying and bring it to the register.

I'd be offended when you questioned my card and called your bluff and would insist you run the card and/or call the police. Then when you were standing there with egg on your face, I'd get your boss's name to tell them how pompus you are.

Oh, after your getting approval from swiping my card, I'd cancel the purchase because I certainly wouldn't want to do business with a store that cops that kind of attitude towards someone making a large purchase.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 07:28 PM   #7
phantomcow2
la vache fantôme
 
phantomcow2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NH
Bikes:
Posts: 6,266
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh
This makes me doubt your ability to actually spot a fake card since you'd most likely label me a "faked" customer. I typically research a large purchase and when I'm ready to buy, if I don't order online, walk into the store, grab the stuff I'm buying and bring it to the register.

I'd be offended when you questioned my card and called your bluff and would insist you run the card and/or call the police. Then when you were standing there with egg on your face, I'd get your boss's name to tell them how pompus you are.

Oh, after your getting approval from swiping my card, I'd cancel the purchase because I certainly wouldn't want to do business with a store that cops that kind of attitude towards someone making a large purchase.
Kind of hoping this is sarcasm...

Nice job taking care of those guys. It must have been extremely embarrassing to him having a bunch of customers and people watching the entire thing. I think this gives as much or more of a punishment than typical law.
__________________
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run
phantomcow2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 07:36 PM   #8
R600DuraAce
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Don't worry dude. As long as your card looks real with a matched CC numbers and with ID all checked out, you are set to go. However, our customers generally ask us tons of questions before making a purchase. Those that just walked in and walked out tend not to be loyal customers. They just go where they need to buy their stuff at the cheapest prices. We generally don't see that kind of customers returning.


Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh
This makes me doubt your ability to actually spot a fake card since you'd most likely label me a "faked" customer. I typically research a large purchase and when I'm ready to buy, if I don't order online, walk into the store, grab the stuff I'm buying and bring it to the register.

I'd be offended when you questioned my card and called your bluff and would insist you run the card and/or call the police. Then when you were standing there with egg on your face, I'd get your boss's name to tell them how pompus you are.

Oh, after your getting approval from swiping my card, I'd cancel the purchase because I certainly wouldn't want to do business with a store that cops that kind of attitude towards someone making a large purchase.
R600DuraAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 11:32 PM   #9
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You should have gone 400w on his ass.....
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-06, 11:42 PM   #10
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,978
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I would have run the card, waited for the denial, then show it to him. That way, no one could get offended, you can blame the credit agencies, and if it was indeed stolen, you could have just said the system is off line or busy and stalled while another employee called the authorities.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 12:20 AM   #11
mister
Senior Member
 
mister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Eureka, CA
Bikes: Sleeper
Posts: 736
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Most of the time, all you need to do is say you have to get it approved and jump on the phone. The customer will say nevermind and leave.

Last edited by mister; 09-14-06 at 10:28 AM.
mister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 03:40 AM   #12
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"faked".
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 04:24 AM   #13
Bockman
Castiron Perineum
 
Bockman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Taking a tip from Siu Blue Wind, I too am typing a lengthy passage of text down here to demonstrate the enormous amount of space available should one wish to use it-- in sharp contrast to the avatar text above this part.
Bikes: '06 Salsa Campeon, '84 Cannondale R1000, 80's Nishiki Ariel
Posts: 1,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
when I worked as a bouncer, I saw many varieties of fake ID. The 'I'm so offended you're accusing me of having a fake ID' bit was the typical response. I would nicely suggest that we call the police to settle the matter; if the police said it was a legitimate ID I'd buy the drinks for the first few rounds myself. If not, they'd go to jail. No one ever took me up on the offer.
Bockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 05:17 AM   #14
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator
 
KrisPistofferson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: POS Tennessee
Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed
Posts: 7,630
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A tip for crackheads:

If you look like this,

you have no form of ID, and an American Express with a woman's name on it, please don't hold up the line trying to buy a laptop computer, a neckbrace, a can of cashews and a set of 20 inch rims. Thanx.


The only problem is, there's always someone stupid enough to fall for it.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeforums
Your rights end where another poster's feelings begin.
KrisPistofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 10:09 AM   #15
glock17
/dev/null
 
glock17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Carroll, IA
Bikes: Schwinn Mtn Bike
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
I would have run the card, waited for the denial, then show it to him. That way, no one could get offended, you can blame the credit agencies, and if it was indeed stolen, you could have just said the system is off line or busy and stalled while another employee called the authorities.
you missed the point, the card will come back good, its a fake card encoded with someone elses's card number.
glock17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 10:12 AM   #16
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,978
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Ahhh yes. After reading it again, I see it now.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 10:34 AM   #17
A.troll
Ride Nekkid!
 
A.troll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Trollsville, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trollie to the rescue!

__________________
So many men....so little time!
A.troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 11:56 AM   #18
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
perfect picture of a thief, I am NOT kidding,
this old man came in for dinner last night and grabbed a Lolly pop from the counter and when I mentionned that the sign read a dollar, he almost hit me with his cane and said he was going to report this, that he ate enough in our establishment to get anything for free from the for sale desk.
people never fail to amuse me..
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 12:20 PM   #19
caligurl
OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!!
 
caligurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: HOT, sunny socal desert
Bikes: 2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock
Posts: 4,938
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R600DuraAce

I told him his card was faked because I have couple of Visa cards myself. I pulled mine out and showed him the missing "V" on his card. BTW, there were 4 or 6 customers in the store as well as 2 of my staff witnessing the whole "show." I was still holding his card and he said his was different because it was a Macy's card. Hahahaha..... Where these people come up with an excuse like that?
my macy*s visa doen't have a V on it.... it has the macy*'s star in the background.... and a star with macy*s written on it! it also has the visa logo....

not saying his wasn't fake... just saying mine has no V either.....
__________________
OCP and PROUD!
"OCP is not just about attitude, it's a way of life!"
life's too short to ride a crummy bike..........
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 12:59 PM   #20
baiskeli
unaangalia nini?
 
baiskeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Arlington MA
Bikes: Jamis Quest (Ultegra components,Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels and Reynods Ouzo Pro Fork), Gary Fisher Tassajara
Posts: 1,136
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
I would have run the card, waited for the denial, then show it to him. That way, no one could get offended, you can blame the credit agencies, and if it was indeed stolen, you could have just said the system is off line or busy and stalled while another employee called the authorities.
I second this, its best to be diplomatic just in case you are wrong. Appearances can be decieving.

True story. Many years ago, I used to travel a lot for work and I had a corporate Amex. I went to a certain car rental agency around here to rent a car (mine had met an unfortunate accident and I needed one to visit a client). I was dressed appropriately etc but I must have looked like a criminal.

The rental agent snatched the card out of my hand, asked me "Where did you pick this up?" and tried to confiscate it claiming it was fake and that I had stolen it (despite the fact it had my name and the name of the company).
I threw a fit, asked for her manager, ripped into him and when he wouldn't even apologize I made sure that our company never rented a car from that particular rental agency.
__________________
baiskeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 01:24 PM   #21
Ziemas
Senior Member
 
Ziemas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riga, Latvia
Bikes:
Posts: 10,082
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by baiskeli
I second this, its best to be diplomatic just in case you are wrong. Appearances can be decieving.

True story. Many years ago, I used to travel a lot for work and I had a corporate Amex. I went to a certain car rental agency around here to rent a car (mine had met an unfortunate accident and I needed one to visit a client). I was dressed appropriately etc but I must have looked like a criminal.

The rental agent snatched the card out of my hand, asked me "Where did you pick this up?" and tried to confiscate it claiming it was fake and that I had stolen it (despite the fact it had my name and the name of the company).
I threw a fit, asked for her manager, ripped into him and when he wouldn't even apologize I made sure that our company never rented a car from that particular rental agency.
Let me guess, you're not white.
Ziemas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 02:44 PM   #22
slagjumper
Senior Member
 
slagjumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Down on East End Avenue.
Bikes: Salsa Las Cruces, Burley R&R and a boat load of others.
Posts: 1,816
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wouldnt it be easier to just steal a cc and use that to buy ciggies or something?

You retail merchants should check this out--
http://www.merchantaccountblog.com/a...rification.pdf

You could always "drop" the card by "mistake" between the display counters or something and call the authorities. But you better be sure that it is a fake.
slagjumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 03:11 PM   #23
wahoonc
Senior Member
 
wahoonc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: On the road-USA
Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG
Posts: 16,687
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have had my Amex gold card refused before...the ingnorant person that was trying to ring up the sale kept trying to run the Amex as a store credit card. After the second try, I watched her key sequence and figured out what was up. BTW I have been accused of having a stolen card only once. I guarantee you that particular store WILL NEVER make that mistake again.

Aaron
__________________
Webshots is bailing out, if you find any of my posts with corrupt picture files and want to see them corrected please let me know. :(

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 04:48 PM   #24
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I always do my research before making a big purchase then walk into it, plunk down the card, and walk out. That way they don't have a chance to hassle me into other stuff.
Did the exact same thing with my big screen tv, here's the model number, that's all, bam, done.
Cept my bike, I like the guys at the shop so I hang around and talk to em, they don't talk me into buying anything and that's the way I like it.
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-06, 06:00 PM   #25
R600DuraAce
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NYC
Bikes:
Posts: 915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If I were you I would be cautious of using that card. All of my visa cards as well as all the ones I saw have the little "v" next to the word "VISA". The word VISA is printed in the white section of the "VISA" logo. The background logo is blue, white, and orange. The background color of this VISA logo is white also. That Macy's card looks very real other than the missing "v" and the word VISA is too big with a funny V. And missing the 3 distinctive three color strips.


Quote:
Originally Posted by caligurl
my macy*s visa doen't have a V on it.... it has the macy*'s star in the background.... and a star with macy*s written on it! it also has the visa logo....

not saying his wasn't fake... just saying mine has no V either.....
R600DuraAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:30 AM.