Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Seasons????

  1. #1
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Seasons????

    Ok, I need to know how seasons work around the world. For example, A friend of mine is in California and I am in Japan. We are both in Autumn, and Australia is in Spring. What area in the world is currently in Summer and Winter? please helppppppppp.
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er

  2. #2
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess it would be heading quickly into winter in the far north, but I don't think the seasons really work like that. All four seasons don't need to exist at the same time. So it's Autumn in most of the Northern Hemisphere, Spring in most of the Southern, the Equator is pretty much as it always is, and that's about it. Does that make sense?

  3. #3
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You see.....there is this little imaginary line that goes laterally (0 deg lattitude) that is called the equator. This imaginary line divides the world into a top half (northern hemisphere) and a bottom half (southern hemisphere).

    The earth also has a tilt mechanism where during part of the year it tilts toward the sun (starting at summer solstice), and part of the year it tilts away from the sun (winter solstice).

    During the part of the hemisphere you are in tilts toward the sun (when you pass the summer solstice) you are in the summer season, and when the part of the hemisphere you are in tilts away the sun (when you pass the winter solstice) you are in the winter season.

    The northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere are opposites because when the hemisphere you are in tilts toward the sun, the other end by default tilts away from the sun. Because in Japan you are in the northern hemisphere, you are tilting away from the sun right now (just passed winter solstice), and in Austrailia, the southern hemisphere, they are now pointing toward the sun.


    Make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  4. #4
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thunks. You guys are tops d(^o*)
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er

  5. #5
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank KT, not me... He actually put some thought into his answer

  6. #6
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing I still remember all that junk from life science in like 4rth grade or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  7. #7
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ....and just imagine, if the earth were not tilted no where on earth would experience change of seasons. Your climate, depending on your latitude, would pretty much be identical the entire year. Except on the polar ends everyone would experience exactly 12 hours of sun up and 12 hours of no sun every single day.....now that would be boring....
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  8. #8
    It is what it is... Minesbroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500 w/ stuff
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite
    You see.....there is this little imaginary line that goes laterally (0 deg lattitude) that is called the equator. This imaginary line divides the world into a top half (northern hemisphere) and a bottom half (southern hemisphere).

    The earth also has a tilt mechanism where during part of the year it tilts toward the sun (starting at summer solstice), and part of the year it tilts away from the sun (winter solstice).

    During the part of the hemisphere you are in tilts toward the sun (when you pass the summer solstice) you are in the summer season, and when the part of the hemisphere you are in tilts away the sun (when you pass the winter solstice) you are in the winter season.

    The northern hemisphere and southern hemisphere are opposites because when the hemisphere you are in tilts toward the sun, the other end by default tilts away from the sun. Because in Japan you are in the northern hemisphere, you are tilting away from the sun right now (just passed winter solstice), and in Austrailia, the southern hemisphere, they are now pointing toward the sun.


    Make sense?
    actually the earth is closer to the sun in winter and further away in the summer on it's axis. it is the angle at wich the light enter's the atmosphere that makes the difference. little known science fact.
    sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

    myspace
    myplace
    my bike

  9. #9
    hello roadfix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    thank you for asking
    Posts
    18,502
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minesbroken
    actually the earth is closer to the sun in winter and further away in the summer on it's axis. it is the angle at wich the light enter's the atmosphere that makes the difference. little known science fact.
    You mean for us Northernites?
    .cinelli.olympic.surly.long.haul.trucker.kona.ku.surly.steamroller.
    .litespeed.classic.litespeed.firenze.bianchi.pista.dean.colonel.plus.more.

  10. #10
    later free_pizza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    2,471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite
    Amazing I still remember all that junk from life science in like 4rth grade or so.
    dont lie, you googled that before posting!!

  11. #11
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by free_pizza
    dont lie, you googled that before posting!!
    Under many circumstances that would be true...but I do know that. Mainly because I live in such a hot place I sooooooo look forward to the winter so I can ride in the afternoon.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  12. #12
    Tail End Charlie Ritehsedad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine, The Way Life Should Be
    My Bikes
    Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got several seasons. We've got autumn, early winter, deep winter, late winter, spring, mud season, black fly season, and summer week.
    Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?

  13. #13
    Ha ha ha ha ha giantcfr1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Kyoto;JAPAN
    My Bikes
    2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er
    Posts
    4,238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritehsedad
    We've got several seasons. We've got autumn, early winter, deep winter, late winter, spring, mud season, black fly season, and summer week.
    What about Magpie season?
    Road Bike: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2+Carbon, Freekin' groovy Urban / Mountain Road Cruising Bike: 2007 CANNONDALE Bad Boy Disc, MTB: 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin 29er

  14. #14
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Down here we have alligator season.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  15. #15
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite
    Down here we have alligator season.
    Isn't that a 24/7 season now?
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  16. #16
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy
    Isn't that a 24/7 season now?
    Not that I know of, but I'm not a hunter so I don't keep up with those things.

    I remember a few months ago there being news stories about it being the first day of alligator season, and all the hunters were gearing up to do their part to reduce their population.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Mr. Gear Jammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    250
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by giantcfr1
    Ok, I need to know how seasons work around the world. For example, A friend of mine is in California and I am in Japan. We are both in Autumn, and Australia is in Spring. What area in the world is currently in Summer and Winter? please helppppppppp.
    I beleive South America is still in Summer and i think Alaska is currently starting winter or maybe it is Russia not sure.

  18. #18
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,082
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    In Texas we have cool = winter (dec., jan, feb) , hot = spring (mar, apr. may), hotter than hell (june, july, aug., sept.) = summer, less hot = fall (oct., nov.)
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  19. #19
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't pay attention in school so I have to rely on my G.Q. (google quotiant) http://www.morehead.unc.edu/Shows/EMS/seasons.htm

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •