Bike Forums

Bike Forums (http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Foo (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/)
-   -   Blasted fruit flies!! (http://www.bikeforums.net/foo/235400-blasted-fruit-flies.html)

nick burns 10-08-06 09:57 AM

Blasted fruit flies!!
 
These little creatures are driving me nuts! It seems that around this time every year there's an explosion in the fruit fly population here. I like keeping fresh fruits and veggies in the house, which isn't helping matters much I'm sure. Can't take a drink of my beverage without having to check for floating bodies first and they swarm around any light that's on in the house, including the tv. They are amazingly agile too- swatting at them is a complete act of futility.
Maybe they're trying to get back at me for keeping their relatives captive during my college genetics lab days!

KingTermite 10-08-06 10:00 AM

We get fruit flies in Florida too, but the bad season for us is lovebugs. We now get two lovebug seasons per year. :(

explody pup 10-08-06 10:03 AM

A banana once fell between my counter and my fridge and I never noticed until one day there was a cloud of fruit flies in my kitchen. My apartment was infested for a good month and a half afterward.

Now I've got these gnats that are apparently comming from the soil of my house plants. Annoying little bastards.

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water and very diluted dish soap. Spray it directly into a cloud of those little ****ers. Stomp with glee as they fall to the ground.

ken cummings 10-08-06 10:07 AM

We get them in Northern California too. For a couple of hours near sunset on local MUPs. I keep a cheap set of safety goggles in my bag when I am out at that time to keep the little %**&^$# out of my eyes. Breathing them is almost as bad. How do you keep them out of your lungs?

TexasGuy 10-08-06 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explody pup
A banana once fell between my counter and my fridge and I never noticed until one day there was a cloud of fruit flies in my kitchen. My apartment was infested for a good month and a half afterward.

Now I've got these gnats that are apparently comming from the soil of my house plants. Annoying little bastards.

Get a spray bottle and fill it with water and very diluted dish soap. Spray it directly into a cloud of those little ****ers. Stomp with glee as they fall to the ground.

Thats what diaysen (sp?) is for. Sprinkle it in the soil every once in a while, kills damn near everything.

catatonic 10-08-06 11:48 AM

I've gotten good enough to swat them.

Use a sideways clap. Where the hands are closing in to each other in a diagonal fashion. Hands 90 degrees to the ground, motion around 120deg -. and 70deg +. It disorients them, so they usually get it.

explody pup 10-08-06 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGuy
Thats what diaysen (sp?) is for. Sprinkle it in the soil every once in a while, kills damn near everything.

I'm trying to find some info on this, you don't happen to have a package of it around, do you? Is it diatomaceous powder?

explody pup 10-08-06 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by catatonic
I've gotten good enough to swat them.

Use a sideways clap. Where the hands are closing in to each other in a diagonal fashion. Hands 90 degrees to the ground, motion around 120deg -. and 70deg +. It disorients them, so they usually get it.

I usually just catch them with chopsticks and let them go free outside...

free_pizza 10-08-06 12:21 PM

bwhahahaaa.... My girlfriend was complaining about them yesterday... "Look john, there are fruit fries everywhere!!"

Me: "huh?"

Her: "Fruit Fries!"

ahhh, that was funny..

DannoXYZ 10-08-06 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explody pup
I usually just catch them with chopsticks and let them go free outside...

If you were a Jewish ninja, with those chopsticks at the same time, you'd also circumcise them ...

explody pup 10-08-06 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
If you were a Jewish ninja, you'd also circumcise them at the same time with those chopsticks...

I would, but I am opposed to genital mutilation.

Tom Stormcrowe 10-08-06 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nick burns
These little creatures are driving me nuts! It seems that around this time every year there's an explosion in the fruit fly population here. I like keeping fresh fruits and veggies in the house, which isn't helping matters much I'm sure. Can't take a drink of my beverage without having to check for floating bodies first and they swarm around any light that's on in the house, including the tv. They are amazingly agile too- swatting at them is a complete act of futility.
Maybe they're trying to get back at me for keeping their relatives captive during my college genetics lab days!

Nick, it's just a wee bit o' protein, laddie! Quit yer greetin' and drink up!http://drliew.net/emoticons/laugh_13.gif

royalflash 10-08-06 01:34 PM

I have them as well -it is the price of being healthy and having fruit lying around-

I just made two traps out of plastic bottles with some wine and banana in the bottom as bait

Shadiyah 10-09-06 10:52 AM

You can also attracet them buy making a homemade fruit fly trap with apple cider vinegar:

Apple Cider Vinegar Trap
The apple cider vinegar trap is another very effective trap for ridding fruit flies. Cover the bottom of a cereal bowl with cider vinegar. Cover the top with saran wrap and punch the top with a half dozen holes placed at least 1/2" in from the edge of the bowl. The fruit flies quickly enter but cannot find their way back out.

http://www.ipmofalaska.com/Files/fruitflies.html

jfmckenna 10-09-06 11:17 AM

We finally had a few cold snaps and the worst of them is over. I hate the damn thinks too.

bbattle 10-09-06 11:22 AM

A buddy and I had a still going in an used part of his fraternity house. Fruit flies got to be so bad we were asked to shut it down. And this was in the middle of winter.

SaabFan 10-09-06 12:39 PM

A friend of mine works for a laboratory supply firm. He's a professional fruit fly wrangler. (no, really. I'm serious.)

hi565 10-09-06 12:43 PM

http://www.prezziesplus.co.uk/shock-bug-zapper.jpg

Fine...Some say they are cruel, I just think they are damn fun (and work pretty well)

jsharr 10-09-06 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbattle
A buddy and I had a still going in an used part of his fraternity house. Fruit flies got to be so bad we were asked to shut it down. And this was in the middle of winter.

Now THOSE had to be BLASTED fruit flies!

linux_author 10-09-06 02:57 PM

- i love fruit flies... they bring back fond memories of high school biology class where we used to make our own agar, breed a generation of flies, then take specimens to a local dentist for introduction of genetic mutation through the use of a dental x-ray machine...

Stacey 10-09-06 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by explody pup
I'm trying to find some info on this, you don't happen to have a package of it around, do you? Is it diatomaceous powder?

I think he's looking for Diazinon

jsharr 10-09-06 05:15 PM

He is most likely saying diazinon. If poured on the soil, it should kill most soil born insects. The soap water spray works because the fatty acids in most soaps disolve the chitinous exoskeleton of insects. The DE or diatomaceous earth is the ground up shells of diatoms. It kills by getting into joints or plates and causing the insect to bleed to death basically. Soapy water is probably most effective and safest balance of the three. Diazinon is the best sure fire kill but it is harmful to humans and pets as well. DE would be my last choice for small soil born flies.

TexasGuy 10-09-06 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsharr
He is most likely saying diazinon. If poured on the soil, it should kill most soil born insects. The soap water spray works because the fatty acids in most soaps disolve the chitinous exoskeleton of insects. The DE or diatomaceous earth is the ground up shells of diatoms. It kills by getting into joints or plates and causing the insect to bleed to death basically. Soapy water is probably most effective and safest balance of the three. Diazinon is the best sure fire kill but it is harmful to humans and pets as well. DE would be my last choice for small soil born flies.

Well you shouldn't be eating soil :p and you should spray the plants down after watering them if you happent to be mirona and kiss flowers and butterflies :p

russiankdi 10-09-06 05:38 PM

I hate bugs period, that's more washing to my front piece of the hood and bumper and windshield:mad:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:57 AM.