Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
  1. #1
    Just shy of 400W ranger5oh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Louis
    My Bikes
    Cannondale System 6, Klein Palomino
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Ionic Breeze - Ozone Alert!

    My roommate recently purchased one f these things from Sharper image for $300. He had it running on high in his bedroom. Any time he would open his door, I could smell ozone, and a lot of it. About a week later, he starts feeling pretty crappy. I do some research, turns out these things can put out a toxic level of ozone. Consumer reports bashed the things for the same reason, and the EPA even put out a huge report on how dangerous they are. Crazy.

    anyway, just thought it was interesting there was no warning on the thing to warn of the possible dangers.
    2008 Cannondale System Six
    2003 Klein Palomino MTB

    60% of the time, it works everytime.

  2. #2
    Hazardous Taerom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Quarantine
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last summer I was doing a bunch of painting in a house that was being renovated. They had one of those things running inside, and I seriously couldn't work in there for more than a few minutes without starting to cough a lot. I eventually turned the thing off after it got too bad.

    edit: I think this thing was an actual ozone generator though.

  3. #3
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,160
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taerom
    Last summer I was doing a bunch of painting in a house that was being renovated. They had one of those things running inside, and I seriously couldn't work in there for more than a few minutes without starting to cough a lot. I eventually turned the thing off after it got too bad.

    edit: I think this thing was an actual ozone generator though.
    Ionic Breeze IS an Ozone Generator!
    Ozone is Ionized O2!

    edit: Ionize the oxygen and generate an electrostatic field in the filtergrid and particulate precipatates and gas flow is generated, hence the name "Ionic Breeze" for the physical effect.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  4. #4
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's one of those products that should have never been on the market.....a HEPA filtered fan can do a far better job for less money.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  5. #5
    Hazardous Taerom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Quarantine
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
    Ionic Breeze IS an Ozone Generator!
    Ozone is Ionized O2!

    edit: Ionize the oxygen and generate an electrostatic field in the filtergrid and particulate precipatates and gas flow is generated, hence the name "Ionic Breeze" for the physical effect.
    According to the Sharper Image site, it's not. But who cares, they suck, and I would never use one!

    http://www.sharperimage.com/response/ozonefacts.jhtml

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a big hepa filter air purifier in my room. 3 years old, I've become accustomed to the noise while I sleep and now it acts as a "white noise" and I need it to fall asleep. In short, I <3 it.

  7. #7
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,160
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taerom
    According to the Sharper Image site, it's not. But who cares, they suck, and I would never use one!

    http://www.sharperimage.com/response/ozonefacts.jhtml
    It might be at levels below the EPA standard, but if it generates ozone, by default, it's an ozone generator!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  8. #8
    Hazardous Taerom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Quarantine
    My Bikes
    2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS
    Posts
    727
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheard
    I have a big hepa filter air purifier in my room. 3 years old, I've become accustomed to the noise while I sleep and now it acts as a "white noise" and I need it to fall asleep. In short, I <3 it.
    Living in the dorms last year, one of my roomies had an air purifier that he ran at night. I got used to the sound, and now I have to turn my fan on to fall asleep. It's just too quiet in my room without it on...creepy...

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taerom
    Living in the dorms last year, one of my roomies had an air purifier that he ran at night. I got used to the sound, and now I have to turn my fan on to fall asleep. It's just too quiet in my room without it on...creepy...
    Exact same thing for me. Without it on it is just dead quiet, and creepy. With it on, it comforts me and just helps me feel comfortable.

  10. #10
    '05 NUEser EJ123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,374
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    uh oh! I have one in my room and once I come in I can smell it. I heard it was good and it can help. I better turn it off. or put it on low.

  11. #11
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of those devices that somebody determined they were dangerous shortly after they came out and they constantly spend time to fight the image that the product is bad for you even though EVERYBODY now agrees its bad for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  12. #12
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This sounds like one of those quack radiation treatments from the early 20th century.

  13. #13
    Just shy of 400W ranger5oh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Saint Louis
    My Bikes
    Cannondale System 6, Klein Palomino
    Posts
    765
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cant believe this thing is still on the market. I will have you know.. after having it off for a couple days now, he says he feels WAY better, and I noticed a significant improvement in his mood and overall health! Crazy.
    2008 Cannondale System Six
    2003 Klein Palomino MTB

    60% of the time, it works everytime.

  14. #14
    explody pup
    Guest
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, O3! It's not just for the upper atmosphere, anymore!

  15. #15
    Senior Member mudskipper99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    2001 Schwinn Mesa Gsx
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheard
    Exact same thing for me. Without it on it is just dead quiet, and creepy. With it on, it comforts me and just helps me feel comfortable.
    I cannot fall asleep in total silence either. I have the Sharper Image Sound Soother or Travel Soother actually, its called. It has 50 sounds on it, plus an alarm. I listen to rain falling as I sleep. There are some sounds that are weird on it like heartbeat. That is worse than silence.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper99
    I cannot fall asleep in total silence either. I have the Sharper Image Sound Soother or Travel Soother actually, its called. It has 50 sounds on it, plus an alarm. I listen to rain falling as I sleep. There are some sounds that are weird on it like heartbeat. That is worse than silence.
    The biggest problem is when you find yourself put in a situation with no "white noise" to help you fall asleep. Like in the summer when we went on a road trip. I slept like crap all 4 nights.

  17. #17
    Kicked out of the Webelos bluebottle1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    According to Consumer Reports, the Ionic Breeze is not only an ozone generator, it's a lousy air cleaner. My wife--who is OCD to a fault--did extensive research on many, many air filters when she was told by her allergist that a filter in the living room and another in the bedroom would greatly help her. We wound up buying a couple of HEPA filters that do wonders. At the same time, everything we found about the Ionic Breeze that didn't come from Sharper Image or an affiliate was negative. All the objective tests seem to show that the Ionic Breeze just plain doesn't work very well as an air cleaner. Apparently, after Consumer Reports reported its original findings about the Ionic Breeze, Sharper Image complained that their tests simply weren't sufficiently sophisticated to properly test the Ionic Breeze. So Consumer Reports re-tooled their tests to remedy many of Sharper Image's complaints. The results were the same.
    ______________________________________________

    Kicked out of the Webelos.

  18. #18
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebottle1
    ...All the objective tests seem to show that the Ionic Breeze just plain doesn't work very well as an air cleaner. Apparently, after Consumer Reports reported its original findings about the Ionic Breeze, Sharper Image complained that their tests simply weren't sufficiently sophisticated to properly test the Ionic Breeze. So Consumer Reports re-tooled their tests to remedy many of Sharper Image's complaints. The results were the same.
    PWNED!!! Most of the stuff from Sharper Image is crap bling anyway...

    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite
    One of those devices that somebody determined they were dangerous shortly after they came out and they constantly spend time to fight the image that the product is bad for you even though EVERYBODY now agrees its bad for you.
    Kinda like....cigarettes????

  19. #19
    Senior Member skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CO Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taerom
    Living in the dorms last year, one of my roomies had an air purifier that he ran at night. I got used to the sound, and now I have to turn my fan on to fall asleep. It's just too quiet in my room without it on...creepy...
    Yep... spend 6 months on an aircraft carrier with planes taking off and landing on your ceiling, bomb elevators going up and down, bells, buzzers and klaxons sounding at random times and intercom announcements at odd times, plus 7 roommates in a pretty damn small room, then come home and try and get to sleep.

    Took me about 3 weeks to adjust to a dark and quiet room again.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    2010 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  20. #20
    Senior Member mudskipper99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    2001 Schwinn Mesa Gsx
    Posts
    105
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pheard
    The biggest problem is when you find yourself put in a situation with no "white noise" to help you fall asleep. Like in the summer when we went on a road trip. I slept like crap all 4 nights.
    The Sound Soother thing I have is very small, and it can run on batteries. I can fit it in my pocket. Its meant for traveling, and even came with a little case/bag type thing to put it in while traveling. I take it everywhere with me. Used it in a tent camping, sleeping in the car on trips, on an airplane. It has a headphone jack on it also, if others dont want to hear it.

  21. #21
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of my housemates is so addicted to white noise, she sleeps with a noisey old room air conditioner on year round. We have central air too!

  22. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper99
    The Sound Soother thing I have is very small, and it can run on batteries. I can fit it in my pocket. Its meant for traveling, and even came with a little case/bag type thing to put it in while traveling. I take it everywhere with me. Used it in a tent camping, sleeping in the car on trips, on an airplane. It has a headphone jack on it also, if others dont want to hear it.
    Where'd you get that?

  23. #23
    Banned Bikepacker67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Ogopogo's shoreline
    My Bikes
    LHT, Kona Smoke
    Posts
    4,086
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explody pup
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, O3! It's not just for the upper atmosphere, anymore!

  24. #24
    Crawlin' up, flyin' down bikingshearer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
    My Bikes
    1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova
    Posts
    3,061
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explody pup
    Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, O3! It's not just for the upper atmosphere, anymore!
    Well, actually, it is. (Yes, I know you were joking x-pup - good one, too.)

    Ozone up high - goooood. Help keep Mr. Ultraviolet Radiation away from skin. Ozone down low - baaaaad. Tear living s*** out of lung over time or in high enough dose, very reactive with all kind of things, including with paint fumes, too make all kind of nasty, nasty new things that do bad things to body.
    "I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney

  25. #25
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the 13 fans in my computer which is 5ft from my bed as white noise. Sometimes the power goes out, I never fall asleep as fast. It does help me feel comfortable. But something besides white noise, like a TV on or anything that is not consistent will keep me awake.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •