Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-06, 09:30 PM   #1
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
Thread Starter
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Photos from my ride (many giant pics inside)

I decided to take a different course than I planned yesterday....it was still a nice long ride though. I rode from St. Pete, over the friendship brdige into tampa, and all the way up Bayshore to the next bridge, then went back home, taking the backroads near Wheedon Island.

These are the better pics from the trip. I was only taking quick snapshots, so I wasn't taking the time to get good shots, so bear with the crappiness

These are some shots from St.Pete, looking upon the waters near Wheedon Island. I actually live about 2.5mi south of there.





This is near the top of the "crest" of the friendship bridge, the wood things in the water you see are guides for ships.


This is a shot of Bayshore Blvd....I love the wide sidewalk here...it's perfect for a nice leisurely stroll.


An absolutely gorgeous home I saw on the way up Bayshore...I dream of a home like this.


A view of East Tampa, from Bayshore.


.... continued in the next post.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 09:30 PM   #2
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
Thread Starter
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Some rocks protruding from the water...I thought it looked pretty cool.

My beloved Talus! (smooch smooch)

Now give each photo a good look, you'll notice the shadows the two buildings in the first pic are laying upon the water!


on the way home....who said Florida didn't have any climbs?

On the way down from that incline, you need to be careful, it's very easy to break 40mph in seconds, even on a mountain bike.
A lone fisherman...such a peaceful sight.


Well, th-th-th-th-that's all folks!
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 09:42 PM   #3
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice ride. I have done that trip many times when I lived in Tampa on Dale Mabry. Too many 'bladers' on the Bayshore though. But it is a ride that is hard to beat anywhere in the country. Live in Riverview now, with a big ass mortgage, so more work and less ridin' right now. enjoyed the pics, Thanks !
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 10:07 PM   #4
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love the pics cata, plus the bike aint too shabby
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 10:11 PM   #5
Ritehsedad
Tail End Charlie
 
Ritehsedad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Maine, The Way Life Should Be
Bikes: Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1
Posts: 543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, way cool!
__________________
Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?
Ritehsedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 10:54 PM   #6
efrobert
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
 
efrobert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Somewhere in Colorado.
Bikes:
Posts: 255
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice pictures! Usually when people post pictures of their ride, they are boring pictures of the road in front of them. It's nice to see some cool pictures for a change.
efrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 11:31 PM   #7
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Cool pics Cat. I've never ridden the Friendship bridge, but heard it was REALLY NOISY since the new bridge is right next to it. Did it seem really noisy to you?

Was Bayshore really windy today? It was pretty windy today.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 11:32 PM   #8
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfin2004
Nice ride. I have done that trip many times when I lived in Tampa on Dale Mabry. Too many 'bladers' on the Bayshore though. But it is a ride that is hard to beat anywhere in the country. Live in Riverview now, with a big ass mortgage, so more work and less ridin' right now. enjoyed the pics, Thanks !
LOL...I used to live over there and live in Clearwater now. Technically, my address said Gibsonton, but I always told them "South Brandon"....would never admit I lived in Gibsonton.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 06:24 AM   #9
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
Thread Starter
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't notice traffic noise...the wind was that bad.

I also had the pains of realizing the bridge is an incline all the way to Tampa. I had to walk the last half of the crest climb on the way to tampa.

The ride back was sooooo easy though, thanks to that same evil wind.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 06:30 AM   #10
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow, great pics, so serene...
made me wish I was there!
thanks for sharing!
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 06:35 AM   #11
Mariner Fan
59'er
 
Mariner Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Alexandria, IN
Bikes: LeMond Maillot Jaune, Vintage Trek 520 (1985), 1976 Schwinn Voyageur 2, Miyata 1000 (1985)
Posts: 3,302
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice pictures. I'm jealous!
__________________
Mariner Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 06:57 AM   #12
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite
Cool pics Cat. I've never ridden the Friendship bridge, but heard it was REALLY NOISY since the new bridge is right next to it. Did it seem really noisy to you?

Was Bayshore really windy today? It was pretty windy today.
I have ridden the Bridge many times. Noise was never an issue. Wind always was. It is only 3 miles from end to end, but with a stiff wind coming across the open bay, seems like 10 miles.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:00 AM   #13
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nice pics Cata, makes me want to come for a visit! Beats the snot out of thirty degrees at dawn.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:04 AM   #14
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTermite
LOL...I used to live over there and live in Clearwater now. Technically, my address said Gibsonton, but I always told them "South Brandon"....would never admit I lived in Gibsonton.
That is too funny! I actually live in a new subdivision off Symmes and 301. So if I head west and go to the other side of I-75, I end up in Gibsonton. The place is a dump! No wonder the circus geeks and carnies all live there. [ I hope your not one!] I would never claim to be from anywhere near there! No offense to you "Pinellas Parkers" over there in St. Pete, but Pinellas Park is next in line for the good ol' boy award.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:05 AM   #15
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
Thread Starter
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heh, it's been cold enough to see breath on occaision, but that tends to clear up by noon. Never any snow though, and that depresses me some....I miss snow.

The part that bugs me is when it's so hot that my glasses immediately fog up when going outside.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:09 AM   #16
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic

I also had the pains of realizing the bridge is an incline all the way to Tampa.

Huh? I do not get this. Is the Bay on an incline to Tampa? Gandy Blvd. on BOTH sides of the bridge start about 14 feet above sea level. [bridge height]
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:10 AM   #17
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic
Heh, it's been cold enough to see breath on occaision, but that tends to clear up by noon. Never any snow though, and that depresses me some....I miss snow.

The part that bugs me is when it's so hot that my glasses immediately fog up when going outside.

True dat. Have you been across the Skyway to a place called "Fiery Foods Warehouse"? Just before Palmetto. Since you are a "hot" junkie like me.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:13 AM   #18
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
Thread Starter
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know....my apartment complex is like Jerry Springer live....every single day.

The current drama is some woman who chases her man dow yelling at him to go on and hit her, because she will hit him if he tries to get into his car. This is a regular occurance, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

It was better than the bloody murder chick.....she kept pounding on people's doors screaming as if a killer was after her. Turns out her boyfriend has a habit of locking her out of his apartment when he's sick of her crap. Well, one day she finally manages to get the cops called on her....then she points to his place and screams that he's got a pound of pot in there....he did That's great....I now have a very irritating family next door thanks to that....at least he was super mellow.

We also had the guy that got gang-beat by some women when they discovered he was two-timing them....he was blubbering like a little punk too "please don't hurt me, but but but I love youuuu!".....just take the beating like a man already.

Oh, and the white guy downstairs that was arrguing with his girlfriend, and started calling her "*****" (she's white, WTF?)....well this rather large black guy on the floor got pissed off at it and knocked him the *bleep* out. I wasn't the only one laughing hard on that one....some folks watching from another building were too!
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:14 AM   #19
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
Thread Starter
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfin2004
True dat. Have you been across the Skyway to a place called "Fiery Foods Warehouse"? Just before Palmetto. Since you are a "hot" junkie like me.
Nope...gotta get down to 180lbs (about 45lbs off from that), so I fulfill my promise to myself and then get a car before I go that way.

For now, it's the hot sauce shop inside the pier. It's got a decent selection.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:16 AM   #20
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
Thread Starter
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfin2004
Huh? I do not get this. Is the Bay on an incline to Tampa? Gandy Blvd. on BOTH sides of the bridge start about 14 feet above sea level. [bridge height]

The ends might, but I'm pretty sure the long "st pete" side of it is actually an incline as it makes it's way to the crest....so the majority of the eastbound travel is uphill.
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:19 AM   #21
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic
I know....my apartment complex is like Jerry Springer live....every single day.

The current drama is some woman who chases her man dow yelling at him to go on and hit her, because she will hit him if he tries to get into his car. This is a regular occurance, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

It was better than the bloody murder chick.....she kept pounding on people's doors screaming as if a killer was after her. Turns out her boyfriend has a habit of locking her out of his apartment when he's sick of her crap. Well, one day she finally manages to get the cops called on her....then she points to his place and screams that he's got a pound of pot in there....he did That's great....I now have a very irritating family next door thanks to that....at least he was super mellow.

We also had the guy that got gang-beat by some women when they discovered he was two-timing them....he was blubbering like a little punk too "please don't hurt me, but but but I love youuuu!".....just take the beating like a man already.

Oh, and the white guy downstairs that was arrguing with his girlfriend, and started calling her "*****" (she's white, WTF?)....well this rather large black guy on the floor got pissed off at it and knocked him the *bleep* out. I wasn't the only one laughing hard on that one....some folks watching from another building were too!

The place we lived on Dale Mabry was all Drama, all Night! I am sure glad I saved and bought my own place. Bought in a nice neighborhood and all houses are new, but wouldn't you know it that our next door neighbors are striaght up hillbillies from P. Park and brought there three kids, 4 dogs, 2 harleys, and attitudes with them! I can never win.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 07:20 AM   #22
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic
The ends might, but I'm pretty sure the long "st pete" side of it is actually an incline as it makes it's way to the crest....so the majority of the eastbound travel is uphill.
I see what you are saying.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 09:00 AM   #23
Ornery
Senior Member
 
Ornery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Northeast Ohio
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would never guess from those beautiful photos, that the crime rate would be so high:

"...the nation's second most dangerous metro area for pedestrians..."

Hell, I was all ready to pack up and move there!
Ornery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 09:04 AM   #24
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by catatonic
I know....my apartment complex is like Jerry Springer live....every single day.

The current drama is some woman who chases her man dow yelling at him to go on and hit her, because she will hit him if he tries to get into his car. This is a regular occurance, same bat-time, same bat-channel.

It was better than the bloody murder chick.....she kept pounding on people's doors screaming as if a killer was after her. Turns out her boyfriend has a habit of locking her out of his apartment when he's sick of her crap. Well, one day she finally manages to get the cops called on her....then she points to his place and screams that he's got a pound of pot in there....he did That's great....I now have a very irritating family next door thanks to that....at least he was super mellow.

We also had the guy that got gang-beat by some women when they discovered he was two-timing them....he was blubbering like a little punk too "please don't hurt me, but but but I love youuuu!".....just take the beating like a man already.

Oh, and the white guy downstairs that was arrguing with his girlfriend, and started calling her "*****" (she's white, WTF?)....well this rather large black guy on the floor got pissed off at it and knocked him the *bleep* out. I wasn't the only one laughing hard on that one....some folks watching from another building were too!
Sounds like good old American entertainment!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-06, 09:31 AM   #25
gbcb
J3L 2404
 
gbcb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Shanghai
Bikes: 2007 Jamis Nova
Posts: 1,075
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yay for pictures-of-rides threads! Thanks, catatonic! It's always fun to see another part of the world.
gbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:52 PM.