Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ efrobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in Colorado.
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Do you believe everything you read?

    Yesterday someone posted an article in the "Training and Nutrition" forum about fat burning. It seems to have been lost during the site crash. I didn't agree with a lot if the article, it went against a lot of the nutrition books I've read, but more importantly it went against what I've personally found to work. But the few responses to the thread were "Wow, this should be a sticky"... Now I'm not saying it was a good article or a bad article, I'm saying I'm amazed at how many people read ONE article or see an infomercial on TV and take it for absolute truth, with out doing research on there own at all. I think in a few months I'm going to make up some completely bogus article, with the most ridiculous claims and see how many people will actually follow it as truth, because they read it. I tend to question everything, I'm amazed how many people don't. "If some one wrote it it must be true". I'm not just talking about Health and fitness, I'm talking about everything. I could go to a car forum and post a fake article about how adding dog poop to you oil will increase performance and I guarantee dozens of people will be adding poop to their oil. (By the way that does work, try it) I'm just sayin.

  2. #2
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,547
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course not!!


    (so....tell us more about the poop-in-oil thing )
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  3. #3
    Warrior Cyclist cycle17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Davis, CA
    My Bikes
    07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
    Posts
    1,548
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I certainly don't believe everything I read. But reading can be entertaining, enlightening, humorous etc...
    Just Do It..

  4. #4
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
    Of course not!!


    (so....tell us more about the poop-in-oil thing )
    Just make sure you use poop from a greyhound or whippet.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  5. #5
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, those mofos' are FAST!

  6. #6
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why would the internets lie to us?

  7. #7
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I remember that article. I kinda laughed when it said that exercise over 30-minutes was worthless.

  8. #8
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
    Yeah, I remember that article. I kinda laughed when it said that exercise over 30-minutes was worthless.
    was it one of those articles that pop up from time-to-time about doing hard intervals for a short time?

  9. #9
    No Rocket Surgeon eubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona and S. El Monte, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whan I see the amazing results of what a hack like me can do with Photoshop...I don't believe much of anything I SEE either.
    Fewer Cars, more handlebars!

  10. #10
    Tail End Charlie Ritehsedad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine, The Way Life Should Be
    My Bikes
    Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is truly amazing what people read and believe on the web. Type a few words and it becomes gospel.
    Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?

  11. #11
    Senior Member DannoXYZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Saratoga, CA
    Posts
    11,507
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmhaan
    was it one of those articles that pop up from time-to-time about doing hard intervals for a short time?
    Even worse, it said that you should only ride at low intensities to burn more fat... HAH! And that after 30-minutes you end up burning proteins for fuel instead of carbs & fat. Simply ridiculous, but then what can you expect from MSN, eh?

  12. #12
    Specialized Member ChAnMaN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    I live in a small town
    My Bikes
    2004 Specialized Allez
    Posts
    973
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anywho who has ever written anything should know not to believe what other people read.....cuz you know how easy it is to BS your way through a article/paper
    You can never be too Specialized
    Click here if any of the following apply to you:
    1 You dont like Specialized, 2 You drive a SUV, 3 Your name is George Bush

  13. #13
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No no no....the key to ultimate running performance is urine injections from a russian race horse.

    and let's not forget that we need special magnets to make our electrical products run better....they take the little electrons that flow through the tubes inside your power cables, and forces them to march in formation....since we know an orderly electroni is a happy electron, and happy electrons are more productive!
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  14. #14
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    No no no....the key to ultimate running performance is urine injections from a russian race horse.

    and let's not forget that we need special magnets to make our electrical products run better....they take the little electrons that flow through the tubes inside your power cables, and forces them to march in formation....since we know an orderly electroni is a happy electron, and happy electrons are more productive!
    Can't you also magnetize the fuel line on your car and hit warp speed while getting 7002345 miles per gallon? Add one of those Tornado vortex things to the air intake and most cars will actually fill the gas tank as they drive.
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Believing much of anything that you are taught in school or find out through the web or media without doing your own investigating is a collasaly stupid mistake. I think anyone above the age of 10 who has a brain can figure out that much.
    Bring back the Sig Test!


    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  16. #16
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the tornado just beats the air into submission, allowing a better burn, since we all know a submissive air particle is leass likely to put itself out effectively once ignited.

    The magnetizing.....nope....however I highly reccomend putting a fuel injector inside your muffler....anything that makes your car shoot flames will add at least 20thousand or so horsepower to your ride.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  17. #17
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efrobert
    Yesterday someone posted an article in the "Training and Nutrition" forum about fat burning. It seems to have been lost during the site crash. I didn't agree with a lot if the article, it went against a lot of the nutrition books I've read, but more importantly it went against what I've personally found to work. But the few responses to the thread were "Wow, this should be a sticky"... Now I'm not saying it was a good article or a bad article, I'm saying I'm amazed at how many people read ONE article or see an infomercial on TV and take it for absolute truth, with out doing research on there own at all. I think in a few months I'm going to make up some completely bogus article, with the most ridiculous claims and see how many people will actually follow it as truth, because they read it. I tend to question everything, I'm amazed how many people don't. "If some one wrote it it must be true". I'm not just talking about Health and fitness, I'm talking about everything. I could go to a car forum and post a fake article about how adding dog poop to you oil will increase performance and I guarantee dozens of people will be adding poop to their oil. (By the way that does work, try it) I'm just sayin.

    Efrobert, let me introduce you to the paragraph.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  18. #18
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,425
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe everything I read has been written.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Work
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  19. #19
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,117
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SingingSabre
    I believe everything I read has been written.
    Have you ever read tea leaves or animal scat?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  20. #20
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    I've had enough.
    Posts
    898
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe nothing I read, see, hear, or smell.
    Unless it is blueberry muffins.

  21. #21
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ efrobert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in Colorado.
    Posts
    254
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingTermite
    Efrobert, let me introduce you to the paragraph.
    I read it, but I don't believe it!

  22. #22
    CPM M4 BananaTugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
    My Bikes
    Light.
    Posts
    4,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't believe in anything...

    Except me.

  23. #23
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe in the almighty nacho.
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

  24. #24
    CPM M4 BananaTugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
    My Bikes
    Light.
    Posts
    4,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by catatonic
    I believe in the almighty nacho.
    What about His son, Cheese?

    And the Holy Spirit, Salsa?

  25. #25
    Chairman of the Bored catatonic's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    My Bikes
    2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
    Posts
    5,825
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MAIZIOUS DID NOT PUT SALSA INTO THE ALMIGHTY NACHO! MAIZIOUS BE A SAD PANDA!

    ...for shame
    -------- __@
    ----- _`\<,_
    ---- (*)/ (*)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Ring Ring, Ring Ring, the bell went Ring Ring Ring.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •