Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 146
  1. #1
    Senior Member skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CO Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Political Correctness run amuck

    I'd say only in California, but sadly, it's everywhere:

    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061215/D8M119MO0.html

    Quote Originally Posted by myway.com
    RIVERSIDE, Calif. (AP) - A high school choir was asked to stop singing Christmas carols during an ice skating show featuring Olympic medalist Sasha Cohen out of concern the skater would be offended because she's Jewish.

    A city staff member, accompanied by a police officer, approached the Rubidoux High School Madrigals at the Riverside Outdoor Ice Skating Rink just as they launched into "God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman" and requested that the troupe stop singing, the Riverside Press-Enterprise reported Thursday.

    Cohen, the 2006 Olympic silver medalist and 2006 U.S. National Champion, had just finished her performance at the rink on the downtown pedestrian mall, and was signing autographs.

    Choir director Staci Della-Rocco said she complied with the request "because a policeman told me to stop. I didn't want to have a big old huge scene in front of my kids," according to the newspaper.

    The city staff member, special-events employee Michelle Baldwin, could not be reached for comment. City Development Director Belinda J. Graham confirmed the incident.

    "This request was simply made by a staff member who was attempting to be sensitive to the celebrity guest, without considering the wider implications ... or consulting with her supervisor for guidance," Graham said in an e-mail to the newspaper.

    Mayor Ron Loveridge called the incident "unfortunate."

    "You kind of wish people do a little checking first. You certainly have my apology," he said, referring to the choir members.

    A spokeswoman with the New York-based PR firm that helped promote the event said Cohen did not make the request to silence the singers.
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    2010 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  2. #2
    Señor Member USAZorro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Carlisle, PA
    My Bikes
    1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1994 Trek 830 MTB, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead, Unicycle
    Posts
    13,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another case of the well-intentioned urgently rushing to do the unnecessary. More people need to stop and ask: "What would Borat do?"
    The search for inner peace continues...

  3. #3
    On my TARDIScycle! KingTermite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
    My Bikes
    Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
    Posts
    3,928
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoot them.

    If we keep shooting these PC cops, we'll finally be rid of them.

    That's my PC thought for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
    - it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.

  4. #4
    J E R S E Y S B E S T Jerseysbest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    1,852
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USAZorro
    Another case of the well-intentioned urgently rushing to do the unnecessary. More people need to stop and ask: "What would Borat do?"
    "Somebody kick them in their back *****!"

  5. #5
    J3L 2404 gbcb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Shanghai
    My Bikes
    2007 Jamis Nova
    Posts
    1,075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, this is the sort of thing that drives me crazy when I go back to Canada. Political correctness can just be so paralysing sometimes. Then again, China could use a bit... cf. "Darlie Toothpaste", the Chinese name of which remains "black man toothpaste" ("Oh, it's not racist, it's because black people have such white teeth!")

  6. #6
    SERENITY NOW!!! jyossarian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    In the 212
    My Bikes
    Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
    Posts
    8,757
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the choir start singing the Hanukah song instead? Besides, what's wrong w/ singing Christmas carols? Jesus was jewish.
    HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



    We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

  7. #7
    Forum Admin lotek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    n.w. superdrome
    My Bikes
    1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa
    Posts
    17,644
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am amazed at the amount of offense that people find, especially in the holiday season.
    If I say happy holidays or seasons greetings I run the risk of offending christians.
    If I say Merry Christmas I run the risk of offending non christians.
    so for political correctness I am instituting a new holiday phrase:
    "Piss off"

    seriously, these folks need to get a life, both sides.

    marty
    Sono più lento di quel che sembra.
    Odio la gente, tutti.

    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. Its free, and only takes 27 seconds!
    Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.

  8. #8
    BF's Level 12 Wizard SingingSabre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    My Bikes
    Diamondback Sorrento turned Xtracycle commuter
    Posts
    1,425
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sick of hearing "Merry Christmas" everywhere I go. It's annoying and ostracizing. I've had to deal with it since I was a kid.

    Just say "happy holidays" and be all encompassing. It's not that hard.

    If people honored Christmas as a holiday and not as a commercial orgy of spending and guilt trips, then we wouldn't have this problem.
    Shameless plug (my sites):
    Work
    Photography
    Vanity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn
    Obviously, the guy's like a 12th level white wizard or something. His mere presence is a danger to mortals.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Michigander's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    My Bikes
    Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
    Posts
    1,727
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some of these things get so silly it amuses me. Like the ******* that threatened to sue an airport for putting up christmas trees if they didn't come up with equally large manoras.
    Bring back the Sig Test!


    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  10. #10
    more ape than man timmhaan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    nyc
    Posts
    8,093
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i could care less, but christmas carols are religious propaganda no matter how you look at it. i don't care if it's set to music or has harmony to it, a lot of the songs are deeply relgious in nature. just read the lyrics to this popular carol:

    Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

    Hark! the herald angels sing
    Glory to the new-born King!
    Peace on earth and mercy mild,
    God and sinners reconciled!
    Joyful, all ye nations, rise,
    Join the triumph of the skies;
    With th' angelic host proclaim
    Christ is born in Bethlehem!
    Hark! the herald angels sing
    Glory to the new-born King!

    Christ, by highest heaven adored;
    Christ, the everlasting Lord;
    Late in time behold him come,
    Offspring of the Virgin's womb.
    Veiled in flesh the Godhead see;
    Hail the incarnate Deity,
    Pleased as man with man to dwell;
    Jesus, our Emmanuel! Refrain

  11. #11
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,160
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    One of my Psych Profs celebrates Hannukah and he wishes Merry Christmas to every student that wishes him a Happy Hannukah! If they wish him a Merry Christmas, not realizing he is Jewish, they get back a Merry Christmas AND a Happy Hannukah after. Then again, he doesn't get offended about any holiday......Well, I take that back, he got a bit miffed when one of the local Skinheads wished him a happy Hitlers birthday!
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  12. #12
    Senior Member randya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    in bed with your mom
    My Bikes
    who cares?
    Posts
    13,696
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 'holidays' suck as a whole. First the Xians co-opted the earlier pagan celebrations, then the merchants totally commercialized any 'holiday spirit' that was still left over.

    Santacon is more in the spirit, anyone have this in their town? I saw a bunch o' drunk Santas in PDX! Someone said peyote eggnog was being served...

    http://www.santacon.com/


  13. #13
    Senior Member skiahh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    CO Springs, CO
    My Bikes
    08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
    Posts
    1,034
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timmhaan
    i could care less, but christmas carols are religious propaganda no matter how you look at it. i don't care if it's set to music or has harmony to it, a lot of the songs are deeply relgious in nature. just read the lyrics to this popular carol:

    Hark! The Herald Angels Sing

    Hark! the herald angels sing
    Glory to the new-born King!
    Peace on earth and mercy mild,
    God and sinners reconciled!
    Joyful, all ye nations, rise,
    Join the triumph of the skies;
    With th' angelic host proclaim
    Christ is born in Bethlehem!
    Hark! the herald angels sing
    Glory to the new-born King!

    Christ, by highest heaven adored;
    Christ, the everlasting Lord;
    Late in time behold him come,
    Offspring of the Virgin's womb.
    Veiled in flesh the Godhead see;
    Hail the incarnate Deity,
    Pleased as man with man to dwell;
    Jesus, our Emmanuel! Refrain
    Uhhh.... and your point??

    Christmas IS a celebration of the birth of Christ. So a CHRISTmas card should, by definition, be religious in nature.

    A holiday card, on the other hand....
    www.teamnavycycling.org
    2010 Pivot Mach 429
    09 Felt Nine Race
    03 Litespeed Tuscany

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I have a biased view because I'm christian. But I could care less what kind of decorations an airport puts up, or what people want to sing, doesn't change what I believe. In fact, it helps reaffirm my beliefs. But once again, since christmas is accepted in mainstream culture, I suppose my view is biased.

  15. #15
    It is what it is... Minesbroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500 w/ stuff
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh...for the love of...
    sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

    myspace
    myplace
    my bike

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-V
    see...thats the whole problem here.

    Why should YOU feel biased because you believe in Christmas or because you are a Christian? The fact of the matter is that you (and the other 10 billion people who are Christian) are celebrating Christmas as Jesus' birthday, like your religion dictates you should. Those IDIOTS who think it's wrong to celebrate CHRISTmas are pushing their own religious non-values on YOU by telling you that you shouldn't celebrate Christmas unless they get to celebrate whatever.

    It is a classic case of the tail wagging the dog. They are atheist or whatever, and in a severe minority, but DEMAND that their religious views take a front-row seat over the vast majority of other people's religion despite the fact that most of the world is Christian in one regard or another.

    I'll never feel guilty just because I happen to beleive in God or Jesus...no matter what anyone else tries to say about it. I accept THEIR religion...time for them to recognize and accept MINE in the same courteous manner without getting all bent out of shape as well.
    I don't think you understand my point.

    My point was that because of the fact mainstream america(IE malls, airports, etc) happen to put up christmas decorations and basically support what I believe, my opinion is biased, because basically they are supporting what I believe in. Even though consciously I don't feel it makes a difference in my opinion, to an outsider it may seem my opinion is biased because of it.

    I don't feel guilty because of what I believe in. I'm just saying that maybe my opinion is biased. Of course me, even if the malls or airports put up manorahs, I wouldn't complain. I don't need them to support my beliefs to help me feel they are true. It's just a matter of everyone wanting what they want, and only one group is going to be satisfied.

    Sad the things people nitpick over these days, let's not actually worry about things that matter. Like the people dying in africa due to lack of a decent water source. Or aids. Or global warming. Let's complain about the lack of a manorah in an airport.

  17. #17
    It is what it is... Minesbroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500 w/ stuff
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-V
    just my response to those "You should not be able to celebrate Christmas" people.

    I just think its funny how they're trying to keep me from freely practicing my religion...yet DEMAND their own religious freedom at the same time.
    Oh...for the love of...
    sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

    myspace
    myplace
    my bike

  18. #18
    NYC Maggie Backstedt fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Trek road and hybrid bikes
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-V
    The fact of the matter is that you (and the other 10 billion people who are Christian) are celebrating Christmas as Jesus' birthday, like your religion dictates you should.
    In fact, both the Roman and German churches strongly discouraged the public celebration of Christmas well into the 20th century. It was considered paganish, and an excuse for serfs/working stiffs to drink too much and demand things from their masters/employers.

    I don't know this for a fact, but I doubt Sasha Cohen cared a hoot about Christmas Carols being sung at the event that is the original subject of this thread.

    As for the rest - make a big public show out of your religion if you must. To my mind, that's just bad taste and chauvinism, whether you're Sh'ia or Sunnni -- oh, I mean, whether you're the "majority" or the "minority."

    Also, I'm kind of a math guy with a thing for numbers: 10 billion? There may be strength in numbers but I doubt it.
    "I can't believe we still have to protest this crap." - courtesy, Johnny Monkey

    Visit "Inspirations and Aspirations" at http://alanfleisig.wordpress.com/

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    South City, Ca
    Posts
    3,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-V
    I understood you perfectly.

    Read my first post on this thread again.

    Its a small minority of people who think that they should be allowed to practice their own religion in any way they see fit....but demand that Christians be censored at Christmas so they don't have to hear the word "Christ".

    In this country, you are only allowed to discriminate if you are in the minority, and only against the majority. It's okay for a muslim to say that Christians are evil and that they are offended by someone telling them "merry christmas"...but you will be all but hanged if you say all muslims are terrorists and that the words "allah akbhar" should not be allowed to be displayed in public places.
    That's completely untrue. As far as I know, correct me if I'm wrong, they don't want the trees taken down in the airport, they just want the addition of a manorah.

  20. #20
    NYC Maggie Backstedt fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Trek road and hybrid bikes
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jyossarian
    Besides, what's wrong w/ singing Christmas carols? Jesus was jewish.
    And Black.
    "I can't believe we still have to protest this crap." - courtesy, Johnny Monkey

    Visit "Inspirations and Aspirations" at http://alanfleisig.wordpress.com/

  21. #21
    NYC Maggie Backstedt fan
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    New York City
    My Bikes
    Trek road and hybrid bikes
    Posts
    471
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-V
    If the owners of the airline/terminal are Christian, and want to put up a Christmas tree, that's their right.
    It's "menorah" already, okay? (At least in English.)

    The owners of SEA-TAC Airport is the Port of Seattle, which is controlled by the Enterprise Fund (a public employee's pension fund) and the Warehousemen’s Pension Trust Fund, and receives major financial support from the isssuance of triple tax-free municipal bonds, which are ultimately underwritten by the citizens of the State of Washington, and to some extent, American taxpayers everywhere.

    But it's really just kind of like that corner candy store, right? Some upright Mennonite (another Christian sect that abhors the German/American style Christmas celebration) woman who just moved here from the country must "own" the airport.
    "I can't believe we still have to protest this crap." - courtesy, Johnny Monkey

    Visit "Inspirations and Aspirations" at http://alanfleisig.wordpress.com/

  22. #22
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This war on Christmas nonsense is beginning to make Christmas a PITA. Every year we have to hear this story.

  23. #23
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-V
    that's their point. Make a HUUUUGE stink about it each and every year until THEY are the only ones allowed to openly express their religious views.
    If by "they" you mean Christians, I am in total agreement. (I am Catholic, BTW).

  24. #24
    OMG! i'm a DURT gurl!!!! caligurl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    HOT, sunny socal desert
    My Bikes
    2007 specialized stumpjumper FSR expert, 2006 specialized ruby pro, 2004 specialized dolce elite, 2005 specialized hardrock
    Posts
    4,939
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sasha was interviewed on the news this morning... the choir didn't bother her at all SHE LIKED THE MUSIC!!!!!!!!!

    dumb@sses!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    OCP and PROUD!
    "OCP is not just about attitude, it's a way of life!"
    life's too short to ride a crummy bike..........

  25. #25
    It is what it is... Minesbroken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Long Island NY
    My Bikes
    Trek 6500 w/ stuff
    Posts
    806
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-V
    what...do you disagree or something?

    I personally find all the fireworks for Chinese New Year offensive and loud. They interfere with my ability to enjoy myself in public in peace.

    Fireworks for Jan 1st are okay though...because I'm Christian.
    dude....dude...it's there f***ing new year...people are lucky if I dont run down the street drunk and half naked banging pots and pans with a party gazoo in my mouth at midnight on new years eve.
    sign here so we can do stuff to your stuff...

    myspace
    myplace
    my bike

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •