Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Fowler, quality?

    I am looking into buying some nice 0-1" digital micrometers. I want digital because I find manual micrometers a pain. Yes I can do it, no I don't want to do it over and over again. Also, the ability to toggle between metric and imperial is worth it to me.
    Given my recent positive first encounter with a fine mitutoyo product, I looked at their micrometer first. About 140 bucks for a new one. One person I know suggested Fowler as a more economical alternative. I can get the Fowler 0-1" micrometer for under 80 bucks. Does anybody have any experience with Fowler products? How is the quality?
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  2. #2
    No Rocket Surgeon eubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona and S. El Monte, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, no one else is answering so I will.

    I found no Fowler products in my shop. Never heard of them. Most every micrometer here (and we have LOTS!) is Mitutoyo.

    Not that it means Fowler is good or bad. To bad you can't go out and look at them.

    Tell you what... I have to drop by the industrial supply store today (need some sheet metal to make a fender for my folder). I'll see if they carry Fowler and do an assessment for you.
    Fewer Cars, more handlebars!

  3. #3
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eubi
    Well, no one else is answering so I will.

    I found no Fowler products in my shop. Never heard of them. Most every micrometer here (and we have LOTS!) is Mitutoyo.

    Not that it means Fowler is good or bad. To bad you can't go out and look at them.

    Tell you what... I have to drop by the industrial supply store today (need some sheet metal to make a fender for my folder). I'll see if they carry Fowler and do an assessment for you.
    Thanks. I am tempted to go mitutoyo just because I KNOW the quality will be top notch, there will be uncertainty or question in my mind. That is worth something
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  4. #4
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But at the same time, I dislike paying for a brand name
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  5. #5
    No Rocket Surgeon eubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona and S. El Monte, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I took a look at a Fowler Micrometer. It was the kind with the number counter, not an electronic digital. Accurate to .0001".

    It felt good in my hand and worked very smoothly. Felt as good as the Mitutoyos do.

    If I were in the market for a micrometer, I would consider getting this brand, and save a few bucks!

    Good luck!
    Fewer Cars, more handlebars!

  6. #6
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I am looking at the electric one, not number counter. Here is link to the auction I am eyeing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5385&rd=1&rd=1
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  7. #7
    la vache fantôme phantomcow2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    6,266
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like the Mitutoyo digital micrometers are protected to IP66. These Fowler ones do not indicate any protection of that sorts. THey do have one protected to IP54 for something like 95 dollars. The mitutoyo then is 45 dollars more. But, the fowler one does come out with an RS232 output, the mitutoyo does not. Then again, I have never once had a need for an output like that. I can't think of a reason you would need it.
    C://dos
    C://dos.run
    run.dos.run

  8. #8
    No Rocket Surgeon eubi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Corona and S. El Monte, CA
    My Bikes
    Cannondale D600, Dahon Speed T7
    Posts
    1,648
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    Well I am looking at the electric one, not number counter. Here is link to the auction I am eyeing:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5385&rd=1&rd=1
    That's the one I saw on ebaY, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by phantomcow2
    It looks like the Mitutoyo digital micrometers are protected to IP66. These Fowler ones do not indicate any protection of that sorts. THey do have one protected to IP54 for something like 95 dollars. The mitutoyo then is 45 dollars more. But, the fowler one does come out with an RS232 output, the mitutoyo does not. Then again, I have never once had a need for an output like that. I can't think of a reason you would need it.
    Not sure what this is. I know some places have measurements automatically logged, so the port comes in handy. We don't do this where I work. If you are just using it to check dimensions, I wouldn't think you would need it.
    Fewer Cars, more handlebars!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •