Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-01-07, 05:23 PM   #1
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wireless router problem

I just bought one not too long ago and began to hook it up, but when the installation program checks for my connection, it can't find any. All the proper lights are lit up on the router. I did what it said..took the ethernet cable from modem-computer to modem-router, and installed the new ethernet cable from router to computer, but it wont connect Any ideas?
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 05:33 PM   #2
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Nevermind I got it
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 05:35 PM   #3
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel
 
cuda2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Allen, TX
Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Schwinn Crosscut, All-City Space Horse
Posts: 11,486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What brand router btw? I just chunked a Netgear to the corner for 8 months of minor wireless frustration and a few days ago it just wouldn't hook up with my laptop. Got a new Linksys and if my previous experiences with Linksys is any indication I'll be much happier moving forward.
cuda2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 05:45 PM   #4
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's a belkin. A cheapy model too. My laptop got the connection, it said 74%, but it wont go to a website.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 06:38 PM   #5
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Problem with DNS configuration most likely... Computer should have settings set to "auto" across the board, with "default gateway = internal IP of router".
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 06:39 PM   #6
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What's that?
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 07:10 PM   #7
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Even on a neighbors router it still won't even go through.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 09:00 PM   #8
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123
Even on a neighbors router it still won't even go through.
Let's backtrack a little bit and write down some network settings.

1. Hook the modem back up to your computer directly.
2. Turn everything off
3. Turn on modem, let it sit 30-60 seconds while the lights flash, then stabilize
4. Turn on computer, log in and access internet like before
5. once you've confirmed working configuration, we need to write down the settingss
6. start CommandPrompt window, START -> Accessories -> CommandPrompt
7. Type in IPCONFIG /ALL and write down all the settings, especially the "DNS servers".



8. Turn everything off
9. Turn on modem, let it sit 30-60 seconds while the lights flash, then stabilize
10. Turn on computer, log in and change network settingss
11. Start -> ControlPanels -> Network Connections -> RightClick LocalAreaConnectionn -> Properties



12. Highlight Internet Protocol TCP/IP and click Properties button



13. Click on "Use the following DNS servers" and type in the numbers displayed on your previous IPCONFIG /ALL settings

14. Back out with OK -> OK -> OK and re-check your internet-access

15. Additionally, you may need to disable the built-in Windows Firewall
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 10:03 PM   #9
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think you're right. On the page it said it could be DNS server error. I found this window: and on the laptop the DNS server was empty where it says value. I'll do what you said, thanks.
So I do what you said on the desktop here, and nothing to the laptop?

Last edited by EJ123; 01-01-07 at 10:14 PM.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 11:14 PM   #10
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123
I think you're right. On the page it said it could be DNS server error. I found this window: and on the laptop the DNS server was empty where it says value. I'll do what you said, thanks.
So I do what you said on the desktop here, and nothing to the laptop?
Hmm, that screen seems to imply that your computer is set up to use a proxy-server as a gateway and not a router? It appears that you don't have the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option set? That should be done on both the laptop & desktop to allow the router to assign an IP-address to the computers. The Belkin should be using the 192.168.2.x range of IP-addresses for the computers. Verify this after you're rebooted and come back to the Windows desktop.

Also the DNS servers should be a public IP-address, not a private 192.168.x.x number. That's why I had you revert your computer back to the previous configuration with the modem hooked up directly to the computer. Then enter those numbers in explicitly.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 01-01-07 at 11:26 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 11:16 PM   #11
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried it and it didn't work. There is one difference though between this desktop and the laptop. This here is the properties windows for both that Internet Protocal thing for the Local Area Connection and the 1394 (dsl?) Connection here on the desktop.

But on the laptop the LAN says it isnt plugged in and for each (protocal on the wireless connection and local area connection) it has the "Use following IP address" with numbers and stuff in it. Do both have to be the same for each? Why can't this wifi be easy as plug and play?

Last edited by EJ123; 01-01-07 at 11:21 PM.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 11:19 PM   #12
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Hmm, that screen seems to imply that your computer is set up to use a proxy-server as a gateway and not a router? It appears that you don't have the "Obtain an IP address automatically" option set? That should be done on both the laptop & desktop to allow the router to assign an IP-address to the computers. The Belkin should be using the 192.168.2.x range of addresses. Verify this after you're rebooted and come back to the Windows desktop.

Also the DNS servers should be a public IP-address, not a private 192.168.x.x number. That's why I had you revert your computer back to the previous configuration with the modem hooked up directly to the computer. Then enter those numbers in explicitly.
Hm. The one I got was 192.168.1.1..That seems pretty peculiar, and it isn't even the .2.x part yet. Yeah also on the "cannot find server" page it had the DNS server and some proxy thing mentioned. This is getting complicated lol. This little message appears and it does clarify that I am technically connected though, if that makes any difference.

Edit: Apparently the default gateway, DHCp server, and DNS server all have the 192.168.1.1 thing. The IP address is the 192.168.2.2 deal though.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 04:49 AM   #13
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
EJ,

Click the Start button > click Run > type Cmd

A DOS console should open up. At the end of the C:\ prompt string type in the following less the quotemarks

"ping 192.168.1.1" then hit the enter button. this will send a ping signal to the router, if all is well you should get about the time it took for the signal to hit your router and return in microseconds (ms). If you get this, all is good between you remote unit and the router. The problem lies further down the chain. If you don't get a return signal, but a failure message then there's a problem betweeen the router & remote.

Type: EXIT to quit.

None of the remote units should should have a xxx.1.1 number asigned to them. That is reserved for routers or 'home' applications.

It's easy, trust me.

Curious, you havent been hit with the about:blank bug have you? That wii cause all kinds of havoc trying to connect.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 05:51 AM   #14
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Strange part is that the router is 192.168.2.1 and DHCP-assigns computers hooked up to it a 192.168.2.x IP number. The fact that DNS, gateway, DHCP-servers have 192.168.1.1 numbers seem to indicate that these settings are specifically entered somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123
I tried it and it didn't work. There is one difference though between this desktop and the laptop. This here is the properties windows for both that Internet Protocal thing for the Local Area Connection and the 1394 (dsl?) Connection here on the desktop.

But on the laptop the LAN says it isnt plugged in and for each (protocal on the wireless connection and local area connection) it has the "Use following IP address" with numbers and stuff in it. Do both have to be the same for each? Why can't this wifi be easy as plug and play?
It didn't work because you didn't explicitly and manually enter in the DNS servers. What are they in the IPCONFIG /ALL command when the computer was hooked up directly to the modem and internet-access works correctly?

And NO, both computers cannot have the same IP address. You should also RightClick -> Disable all the network connections you're not using. So disable the 1394-firewire connection on the desktop. Disable the LAN connection on the laptop. And you SHOULD NOT use the "Use following IP address" setting.. It should be set to "Obtain an IP address automatically".

However, the DNS servers SHOULD be set explicitly and should have teh same IP address as you found in the IPCONFIG /ALL settings when your computer was hooked up to the modem directly.


Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123
Hm. The one I got was 192.168.1.1..That seems pretty peculiar, and it isn't even the .2.x part yet. Yeah also on the "cannot find server" page it had the DNS server and some proxy thing mentioned. This is getting complicated lol. This little message appears and it does clarify that I am technically connected though, if that makes any difference.

Edit: Apparently the default gateway, DHCp server, and DNS server all have the 192.168.1.1 thing. The IP address is the 192.168.2.2 deal though.
Ok, the computer's IP of 192.168.2.2 is correct as that's assigned by the router. However, you should specify the gateway and DNS-servers yourself. Hit the ADVANCED button in the TCP/IP properties and manually type in the router's IP = 192.168.2.1 for the "default gateway". Then manually enter the DNS-server IP-addresses as well.

BTW - did you disable the Windows Firewall?

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 01-02-07 at 05:56 AM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:40 AM   #15
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey
EJ,

Click the Start button > click Run > type Cmd

A DOS console should open up. At the end of the C:\ prompt string type in the following less the quotemarks

"ping 192.168.1.1" then hit the enter button. this will send a ping signal to the router, if all is well you should get about the time it took for the signal to hit your router and return in microseconds (ms). If you get this, all is good between you remote unit and the router. The problem lies further down the chain. If you don't get a return signal, but a failure message then there's a problem betweeen the router & remote.

Type: EXIT to quit.

None of the remote units should should have a xxx.1.1 number asigned to them. That is reserved for routers or 'home' applications.

It's easy, trust me.

Curious, you havent been hit with the about:blank bug have you? That wii cause all kinds of havoc trying to connect.
This is what I got:
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:42 AM   #16
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh and on my desktop and laptop, I made all Obtain IP address automatically/Obtain DNS server automatically, under the Protocal property to those, and somehow I was able to connect to bikeforums on the laptop, but it took a while, and no other site would work.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:45 AM   #17
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Strange part is that the router is 192.168.2.1 and DHCP-assigns computers hooked up to it a 192.168.2.x IP number. The fact that DNS, gateway, DHCP-servers have 192.168.1.1 numbers seem to indicate that these settings are specifically entered somewhere.

It didn't work because you didn't explicitly and manually enter in the DNS servers. What are they in the IPCONFIG /ALL command when the computer was hooked up directly to the modem and internet-access works correctly?
Here's the screen:
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:51 AM   #18
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ

And NO, both computers cannot have the same IP address. You should also RightClick -> Disable all the network connections you're not using. So disable the 1394-firewire connection on the desktop. Disable the LAN connection on the laptop. And you SHOULD NOT use the "Use following IP address" setting.. It should be set to "Obtain an IP address automatically".
Ill fix it now.

Quote:
However, the DNS servers SHOULD be set explicitly and should have teh same IP address as you found in the IPCONFIG /ALL settings when your computer was hooked up to the modem directly.


Ok, the computer's IP of 192.168.2.2 is correct as that's assigned by the router. However, you should specify the gateway and DNS-servers yourself. Hit the ADVANCED button in the TCP/IP properties and manually type in the router's IP = 192.168.2.1 for the "default gateway". Then manually enter the DNS-server IP-addresses as well.
Oh ok.
BTW - did you disable the Windows Firewall?
No idea how to do that

Edit: Im having problems inactivating the 1394 connection? Won't if disconnect me now?
Edit: Ok I got it to disconnect.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:53 AM   #19
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ123
This is what I got:
Ok, good. Your comuter and your router are communicating. The problem probably exists between the router and the outside world.

Have you tried powering down and disconnecting your router & modem for about a minute, with your computers off, then reconnect the router and modem, powering them up, waiting for then to connect and the lights to settle down... then turning on your computer/s.

I'd also try killing any existing connections... one computer at a time. Then, again one computer at a time re-establishing a wireless connection.


Just a thought.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:55 AM   #20
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Horay it's working!
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:56 AM   #21
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)



Congrats! Wadja do?
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:56 AM   #22
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Now leave it alone!
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:57 AM   #23
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey
Ok, good. Your comuter and your router are communicating. The problem probably exists between the router and the outside world.

Have you tried powering down and disconnecting your router & modem for about a minute, with your computers off, then reconnect the router and modem, powering them up, waiting for then to connect and the lights to settle down... then turning on your computer/s.

I'd also try killing any existing connections... one computer at a time. Then, again one computer at a time re-establishing a wireless connection.


Just a thought.
I just disconnected the 1394 connection and it went through on the laptop

Thank you everybody.
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:58 AM   #24
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Schweet! Happy surfing.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-07, 11:59 AM   #25
EJ123
'05 NUEser
Thread Starter
 
EJ123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,370
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait I have another problem...
EJ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:12 AM.