Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-07, 06:52 PM   #1
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What was that popping noise?

I'm sitting down watching football (f'ing Colts won again) and I hear this loud "Pop" come from the bedroom. I get up, go in and turn on the lights and look around....nothing looks unusual....then I turn to my beloved 5200 Team Bike resting against the closet...and notice two of the spokes on the rear wheel hanging off!!?? WTF??

I get the wheel off and take a look at it in the kitchen and the inner flange on the hub of my Race X Lite Aero snapped right off where two of the spokes went in. Looking at it, you can see where the hub had a crack in it that had been there for a while, but never broke until tonight when it was just sitting in my bedroom. I haven't ridden the bike since mid-september and this bike is my baby. My most prized of all my bikes. I'm heartbroken.

I'm hoping that my LBS will hook me up and get the wheel or hub warrantied, since these are about a $900 set of wheels.

The only plus is that I have a spare set of wheels and it's winter so I'm not riding it. But besides being sik this week and having a sore back for some reason...I have this happen. I guess it's better now than flying down a decent this spring at 40 mph.

Sigh.....
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 06:56 PM   #2
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had an unexpected "pop" noise too... Hours before freezing rain hits Austin, my heat pump [1] blows its heating element. So, I had to make a quick trip and get some space heaters, hoping I can find a circuit to put them on other than the circuits with my computers.

[1]: Got it when I got the house... when its cold it moves heat from the outside in, and when it is really cold, it turns on a heating element.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 07:30 PM   #3
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That just sucks, cycle17! But you're right. You coulda been flyin' when that puppy blew! Lucky you!

Here, have a Stella!
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 07:32 PM   #4
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
See what happens when you don't ride?
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 07:41 PM   #5
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))
 
Serendipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
Posts: 5,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are super lucky it didn't happen on a ride!

Cheer up, man.
__________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Serendipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 08:07 PM   #6
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
gosh that's scary! Im glad you werent out there!
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 08:12 PM   #7
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It was just a broken heart. You should have ridden it more.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 08:32 PM   #8
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored
 
catatonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Petersburg, FL
Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)
Posts: 5,825
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had that when I popped some spokes on my folding bike. LBS is nice (great guys, and if they don't have the parts, tehy can get it), but they seem to know nothing about tweaking 20" wheels to be bulletproof. I'm going to have to find a decent BMX shop within riding distance to start doing my wheels.

Story....I'm hard on my bikes, and as a result I keep popping spokes on my 20" wheels. What I need is a wheel rebuild, with stronger spokes, and possibly a stronger set of rims (Haven't bent em yet with my daily curp hopping, but I'm not sure how long these things will last).
catatonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:06 PM   #9
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update:

So I talked briefly with my LBS about the wheel. He said that even though the wheel is a 2004 model he is pretty sure that Trek/Bontrager will replace it if I bring it in and send it back to them. He knows my bikes, especially this one. The bike shop mechanics drool over it every time I've been by with it. And he knows it's never been abused. Heck...the rims look like new with about 4K on them. Here's my dillema...

The bike is basically a collector's item. It's the same model (right down to the wheelset) that Lance won the 2003 Tour on. If I send it back, he said I would likely get a brand new wheel, but with the 2006/2007 graphics on the rim. I really don't want to have two different looking rims on this bike. It's my most beloved bike. When I see the LBS owner in person this Thursday, I'm going to ask if they can disassemble the wheel, remove the spokes and send just the hub back to Trek/Bontrager to be replaced. That way once the new hub arrives, the original wheel can have the spokes replaced while keeping it original. I have no issues with paying for the labor etc.. I just want the wheels to be the same. It's a special/historical bike. I know this sounds a little anal, but I think asking for just the hub to be replaced should be doable. Hell..if I have to pay for the replacment hub..I'll do that as well.

What do you all think?
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:17 PM   #10
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle17
I'm sitting down watching football (f'ing Colts won again) and I hear this loud "Pop" come from the bedroom. I get up, go in and turn on the lights and look around....nothing looks unusual....then I turn to my beloved 5200 Team Bike resting against the closet...and notice two of the spokes on the rear wheel hanging off!!?? WTF??

I get the wheel off and take a look at it in the kitchen and the inner flange on the hub of my Race X Lite Aero snapped right off where two of the spokes went in. Looking at it, you can see where the hub had a crack in it that had been there for a while, but never broke until tonight when it was just sitting in my bedroom. I haven't ridden the bike since mid-september and this bike is my baby. My most prized of all my bikes. I'm heartbroken.

I'm hoping that my LBS will hook me up and get the wheel or hub warrantied, since these are about a $900 set of wheels.

The only plus is that I have a spare set of wheels and it's winter so I'm not riding it. But besides being sik this week and having a sore back for some reason...I have this happen. I guess it's better now than flying down a decent this spring at 40 mph.

Sigh.....
And they say there is no God . I've had a spoke blow on me while riding.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:25 PM   #11
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle17
Update:

So I talked briefly with my LBS about the wheel. He said that even though the wheel is a 2004 model he is pretty sure that Trek/Bontrager will replace it if I bring it in and send it back to them. He knows my bikes, especially this one. The bike shop mechanics drool over it every time I've been by with it. And he knows it's never been abused. Heck...the rims look like new with about 4K on them. Here's my dillema...

The bike is basically a collector's item. It's the same model (right down to the wheelset) that Lance won the 2003 Tour on. If I send it back, he said I would likely get a brand new wheel, but with the 2006/2007 graphics on the rim. I really don't want to have two different looking rims on this bike. It's my most beloved bike. When I see the LBS owner in person this Thursday, I'm going to ask if they can disassemble the wheel, remove the spokes and send just the hub back to Trek/Bontrager to be replaced. That way once the new hub arrives, the original wheel can have the spokes replaced while keeping it original. I have no issues with paying for the labor etc.. I just want the wheels to be the same. It's a special/historical bike. I know this sounds a little anal, but I think asking for just the hub to be replaced should be doable. Hell..if I have to pay for the replacment hub..I'll do that as well.

What do you all think?
What? No reply to this post?....
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:31 PM   #12
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down
 
bikingshearer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Democratic Peoples' Republic of Berkeley
Bikes: 1967 Paramount, 1982-ish Ron Cooper,1986 De Rosa Professional, 1978 Eisentraut "A," 1961 BianchiCompetizione, 1994 Trek 520, 199? Burley Bossa Nova, early-1970s Cinelli Speciale Corsa
Posts: 3,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle17
What? No reply to this post?....
I think your request is percectly reasonable, given (1) that it means that much to you and (2) you are willing to pay for the needed labor and even for the hub, if that's what it takes. Who knows what goes on off in the land of where ever it is you have to apply to, so don't be surprised if you end up having it come out of your pocket.
__________________
"I'm in shape -- round is a shape." Andy Rooney
bikingshearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:37 PM   #13
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle17
What? No reply to this post?....
that one probably would have gotten more from the OCP/roadie forum
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 09:41 PM   #14
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They would say something like, you need some new 2007 uber carbon wheels for it instead. Or it would take two posts and someone would launch into a "Those wheels suck, you should have put ..... wheels on the bike instead" comment. I'd be lucky to get one reasonable post over on the roadie forum.
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 10:06 PM   #15
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle17
They would say something like, you need some new 2007 uber carbon wheels for it instead. Or it would take two posts and someone would launch into a "Those wheels suck, you should have put ..... wheels on the bike instead" comment. I'd be lucky to get one reasonable post over on the roadie forum.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 10:07 PM   #16
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cycle17
They would say something like, you need some new 2007 uber carbon wheels for it instead. Or it would take two posts and someone would launch into a "Those wheels suck, you should have put ..... wheels on the bike instead" comment. I'd be lucky to get one reasonable post over on the roadie forum.
so not to hijack your thread or anything, because yuou know how us in Foo would never do that, but what have you been up to these last couple of months.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 10:32 PM   #17
cydisc
Leaving Clydehood
 
cydisc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Iowa
Bikes: Trek 850
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Funny, the popping noise I heard was from both my knees as I sat down to my keyboard.
cydisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 10:48 PM   #18
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM
 
slvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: NYC
Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp
Posts: 15,762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Considering I just bought a set of carbon clinchers, a popping anything from my wheel would scare the hell out of me...
slvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 11:05 PM   #19
edp773
Senior Member
 
edp773's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Illinios
Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo
Posts: 1,143
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think keeping the bike as original as possible is a great idea. This tells me you value the bike as a collectors item. Replace the hub and be proud of your baby.
edp773 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 07:28 AM   #20
USAZorro
Seņor Member
 
USAZorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Florence, KY
Bikes: 1954 Hetchins M.O., 1959 Viking Severn Valley, 1970 Raleigh Pro, 1972 Fuji "The Finest", 1974 Raleigh Superbe&Comp, 1976 Raleigh Team Pro, 1996 Giant Iguana, 2000 Bob Jackson Arrowhead
Posts: 14,412
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
As long as you're confident in your LBS's wheel-building abilities, I think you're doing the right thing.
__________________
In search of what to search for.
USAZorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 07:34 AM   #21
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NC mountains
Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That sucks...............but rather it pop when not riding than when.
__________________
Ego Campana Inflectum of Circuitous
msheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 07:37 AM   #22
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
so not to hijack your thread or anything, because yuou know how us in Foo would never do that, but what have you been up to these last couple of months.
Hey TG!

Well... the holidays were good, but shortly after, my father began having heart problems again, my GF and I broke it off (amicabley), I've been sick with a cold, after I got over the cold I somehow mysteriously messed up my lower back which has been killing me, the hub broke on my favorite bike and the universal joints in my pickup are starting to make that clinking metal sound when I take off. Oh..did I mention it's cold up here in New England finally. Seems like 2007 is starting off just dandy. But It could always be worse.
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 08:04 AM   #23
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dude, you know what those spokes busting without you on the bike means don't you....it's very clear message...YOU AIN'T RIDING ME WITH THAT GUT!
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 08:11 AM   #24
cycle17
Warrior Cyclist
Thread Starter
 
cycle17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Davis, CA
Bikes: 07 Madone SL, 06 Madone 5.5 & 04 5500
Posts: 1,548
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ya...unfortunately there is truth in your sarcasm. It seems that over the past couple of months, every time I start making headway...something happens. It's discouraging, but I'm not gonna let it get me. I am pretty bummed about the hub/spoke thing though.
__________________
Just Do It..
cycle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 08:58 AM   #25
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought this thread was gonna be about the noises coming from your back everytime you stood up.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:21 PM.