Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-14-07, 10:12 PM   #1
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Being stuck in my apartment for a day...

has made me realize what a completely depressing, cluttered, and miserable **** hole it is. It's driving me nuts. No wonder I always feel like crap when I'm here. Part of it is my own laziness in keeping it clean and clutter free. Most of it is the profound lack of storage space. I have a freaking cooler and a turkey fryer sitting in the corner because there isn't a closet or a cabinet to keep them in. Two unused bike frames sitting against a wall. A couch given to me by a friend what reeks of farts and bong water. The bodies at the bottom of the freezer are all dried out and flavorless.

I need some guidance from memvers here who have their **** together, cause I certainly don't. Is there anyone else here who was able to get their homes organized and/or more comfortable without spending a lot of money?

I figure my first order of business should be to clear out/sell off the crap I don't want or at least haven't even used for 2 years. But, other than that I have no effing clue. Maybe I should pick up a feng sui book. And throw it at my neighbor who, for some strange reason, has her front door wide open in 22 degree weather and is yelling at her son...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:24 PM   #2
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Throw a bunch of **** out. Maybe shoot some of it up with your CETME. Thats my suggestion.
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:25 PM   #3
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wal-mart has these really tall stainless steel shelves for 20 bucks
Not the bestl ooking things but they definitely get the job done on a quick budget.
I've found that getting rid of stuff that one doesn't need always the bestthing. throw it away, puti t in abok and give it to the salvation army or some other charitable cause that gives it to other people that are too lazy or too cheap to buy it. .. That was a tad ummmmmmmmm but yeah, you get the picture.
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:28 PM   #4
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
has made me realize what a completely depressing, cluttered, and miserable **** hole it is. It's driving me nuts. No wonder I always feel like crap when I'm here. Part of it is my own laziness in keeping it clean and clutter free. Most of it is the profound lack of storage space. I have a freaking cooler and a turkey fryer sitting in the corner because there isn't a closet or a cabinet to keep them in. Two unused bike frames sitting against a wall. A couch given to me by a friend what reeks of farts and bong water. The bodies at the bottom of the freezer are all dried out and flavorless.

I need some guidance from memvers here who have their **** together, cause I certainly don't. Is there anyone else here who was able to get their homes organized and/or more comfortable without spending a lot of money?

I figure my first order of business should be to clear out/sell off the crap I don't want or at least haven't even used for 2 years. But, other than that I have no effing clue. Maybe I should pick up a feng sui book. And throw it at my neighbor who, for some strange reason, has her front door wide open in 22 degree weather and is yelling at her son...
First, throw out everyting in your freezer.

Second, get rid of the turkey fryer. Good only once a year, and, uh, not really all that good, eh?

Third, get rid of the couch. I mean, you still have this? <holding nose>

Fourth, bike frames: Discuss, and tell us what your goals are with regard to these two frames. If you can think of any, then "Craig's List" or "Ebay" or, duh, the Foo "Free Stuff" thread....

Day-um. VV can feel just like a freakin' enema, following that vile-tasting, tract-cleaning "rinse."
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:30 PM   #5
BostonFixed
Banned.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Suicide would be a good way to remove all your problems, worries, and clutter in your life.
BostonFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:33 PM   #6
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander
Throw a bunch of **** out. Maybe shoot some of it up with your CETME. Thats my suggestion.
Tempting. That would kill two birds with one stone as I'd be cleaning out and releasing some aggression. But most of the stuff I want to get rid of has a bit of value. I figure I can get at least a grand if I were to sell it all off. Then maybe replace the Couch of a Thousand Asses.

I'll keep and eye out for those shelves, TG. I was considering building some but I doubt I'd be able to do it that cheap.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:35 PM   #7
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Suicide would be a good way to remove all your problems, worries, and clutter in your life.
Yes, I know that suicide is the great Problem Solver. But, for once, I would like to do at least one thing that didn't involve the loss of human life.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:37 PM   #8
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Now we know for sure you don't have a girlfriend. I would NEVER put up with that. Peeeee yewwwww
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:38 PM   #9
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
First, throw out everyting in your freezer.

Second, get rid of the turkey fryer. Good only once a year, and, uh, not really all that good, eh?

Third, get rid of the couch. I mean, you still have this? <holding nose>

Fourth, bike frames: Discuss, and tell us what your goals are with regard to these two frames. If you can think of any, then "Craig's List" or "Ebay" or, duh, the Foo "Free Stuff" thread....

Day-um. VV can feel just like a freakin' enema, following that vile-tasting, tract-cleaning "rinse."
1. I'll just make a big batch of stew and serve it to my friends.

2. "Turkey fryer" is actually used for crawfish boiling and gets used every other month or so.

3. Agreed. I always feel the need to shower after sitting on it.

4. Bike frames are most likely going on Criagslist to whoever will give them a good home. I'm just lazy.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:39 PM   #10
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
Now we know for sure you don't have a girlfriend. I would NEVER put up with that. Peeeee yewwwww
I have many "girlfriends." But they also have many "boyfriends" and don't have the time to sit down on my couch because, after all, time = money.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:40 PM   #11
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UP AND AT IT SOLDIER
offsetting teh caps ohemjee ipity teh fool who sees this. mwuahahah
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:40 PM   #12
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 11,014
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
oh ew. Yudaho.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:42 PM   #13
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
UP AND AT IT SOLDIER
offsetting teh caps ohemjee ipity teh fool who sees this. mwuahahah
Ehhhhhh, I'll do it tomorrow.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:43 PM   #14
BostonFixed
Banned.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
I have many "girlfriends." But they also have many "boyfriends" and don't have the time to sit down on my couch because, after all, time = money.


Well played, sir.
BostonFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:43 PM   #15
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
1. I'll just make a big batch of stew and serve it to my friends.

2. "Turkey fryer" is actually used for crawfish boiling and gets used every other month or so.

3. Agreed. I always feel the need to shower after sitting on it.

4. Bike frames are most likely going on Criagslist to whoever will give them a good home. I'm just lazy.
Crawfish?! WTF? Where do you live, EP? Crawfish is sum'in we use-tah caitch an' throw back inta th' crick. an'
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:43 PM   #16
BostonFixed
Banned.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 4,416
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGuy
UP AND AT IT SOLDIER
offsetting teh caps ohemjee ipity teh fool who sees this. mwuahahah
Welcome back!
BostonFixed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:50 PM   #17
TexasGuy
That darn Yankee
 
TexasGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: West West Fort Worth
Bikes: Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
Posts: 4,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Welcome back!
hiiii
__________________
Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
"Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
So many sayings, so little sig space.
TexasGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:58 PM   #18
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
Crawfish?! WTF? Where do you live, EP?
I live in flavor heaven, lady.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 10:59 PM   #19
Serendipper 
(((Fully Awake)))
 
Serendipper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ~Serenading with sensous soliloquies whilst singing supple sentences that are simultaneously suppling my sonnets with serenity serendipitously.~ -Serendipper
Bikes: Guerciotti Pista-Giant Carbon-Bridgestone300- Batavus Type Champion Road Bike, Specialized Hardrock Commuter, On-One The Gimp (SS Rigid MTB/hit by a truck)- Raleigh Sports 3-speed,Gatsby Scorcher, comming soon...The Penny Farthing Highwheel!
Posts: 5,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
None of this would have happened if you hadn't escaped from my gimp box.
__________________
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

無上甚深微妙法 .... 百千萬劫難遭遇..... 我今見聞得受持
Serendipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:00 PM   #20
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendipper
None of this would have happened if you hadn't escaped from my gimp box.
I wouldn't have escaped if you had drilled me some freakin' air holes like I asked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:00 PM   #21
PhattTyre
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: 07 Fisher Paragon, 00' Lemond Buenos Aries, Specialized Langster, Schwinn World Sport SS townie, 99 SS-Works single speed conversion, early 90s Raleigh roadie rain bike, 07 Fisher Rig, Trek 520, and a home-modified chopper
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The bike frames are easy, hang them on a wall and call them art.

When it's too cold to ride it's a good time to make your place more livable. I'm by no means a pro in this field, but I am a pretty anal-rentetive. Here are some things that have worked for me:

The first step to oranizing is to get rid of stuff you don't use and to stop getting stuff you don't need. Simplifying feels good. When it comes to getting more crap just stop and ask yourself, "What will I do with this tomorrow? next week? next year?" If you can't answer those questions, do you really need it?

The next step is think of ways to get double duty out of your storage, like an ottoman that can hold stuff, using a trunk as a bench.. stuff like that. Is that cooler sitting there empty? It shouldn't be. You can also get flat storage containers to put underneath furniture, mostly beds, but also some tables. If you don't want to buy storage containers you can always cut plain cardboard boxes a little shorter. Lofting the bed a few inches (cinder blocks) will gain you more space than you realize. I find some thin boxes under the bed is a great place to store extra bedding, offseason clothing, and shoes.

Clunky stuff is harder to deal with. Maybe some shelves or something. The ol' cinder block and board shelving works well, they're pretty cheap (especially if you can find the stuff, try construction sites) and you can make them fit your needs. They can also be pretty unstable, but I can give you some pointers to stablize them if you go that route.

The third thing to take advantage of small spaces. Have a little space under your clothes hanging in the closet? Don't just pile crap down there, get some cheapo plastic drawers and put your stuff in them. You can reach it easier and it won't feel cluttered. Fill in the small spots, but don't just cram stuff in them. You'll find you can fit more stuff in places like that if it's organized or at least contained.

Labeling and grouping common things also helps, but can be a little OCD for some. If you do label, label the container, not the shelf.

That couch sounds nasty. Either get rid of it or ****** it in Febreeze and throw a blanket over it.

Finally, once you get the place clean spend 5 minutes a day to keep it clean. It doesn't take much if you just do a little every day. Your home is your castle. Think of how much of your time you spend there and treat the space accordingly. You'll be much more comfortable.
PhattTyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:05 PM   #22
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
I live in flavor heaven, lady.
Woooo-hoo. EP flavor. I've never had the, uh, pleasure? :rollyeyes:
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:08 PM   #23
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chickens can tear the **** out of you. If you know what I mean. Unless you aren't poor white southern trash.
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:09 PM   #24
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Sound advice, PhattTyre. I certainly could make good use of some flat storage for stuff that I actually do want to keep but don't use much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhattTyre
That couch sounds nasty. Either get rid of it or ****** it in Febreeze and throw a blanket over it.
Febreeze didn't even phase the funk of this demon couch. The only solution is to free it's grip on this world with gasoline and a match.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-07, 11:10 PM   #25
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
Woooo-hoo. EP flavor. I've never had the, uh, pleasure? :rollyeyes:
And what boundless pleasure it is...
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 PM.