Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-07, 01:14 PM   #1
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is the term "Dear" romantic?

Here's the scoop. Where I work at a health coach/consultant visits every week as a service of our insurance benefit. Well this particular coach is an attractive 28 year old woman who married about 8 months ago to an older man with two children. So, I have these short meetings with her of about 20 to 30 min weekly each for 6 months now. (She only meets with my boss for 10 min tops.) We have nice chemistry and our conversations come easy. I have her business email address and she gave me her cellphone number in case I have any "questions." For the last two weeks now I have noticed she has been calling me "Dear." Is the simply an expression of intimate friendship or are things getting romantic?

I am not a homewrecker.
__________________
Would you like a dream with that?

Last edited by georgiaboy; 02-11-07 at 01:20 PM.
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:18 PM   #2
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker
 
Maelstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Whistler,BC
Bikes: Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002 and specialized BMX
Posts: 16,885
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No, I don't consider it romantic. Not unless she is in her 80's.

Although, if its romantic to her, it could be a sign, but I personally wouldn't take it as a romantic gesture.
Maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:18 PM   #3
Siu Blue Wind
Flowers for mom
 
Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 10,978
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Runnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run For The Hilllllllllls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer are for huntin'!!! Runnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddha
We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by making View Post
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Siu Blue Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:27 PM   #4
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of Serenity
Runnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!! Run For The Hilllllllllls!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer are for huntin'!!! Runnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought about "runnin'" as you say. But I found myself calling her to ask how "runnin" would affect my overall health.

Guess I am hooked.
__________________
Would you like a dream with that?
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:31 PM   #5
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Show her your ding dong. It's the only way to know for sure.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:32 PM   #6
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Bikes: Affirmative
Posts: 12,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Yeah, the peen is like a Dowser's stick. You'll know where she stands after that...
TheKillerPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:33 PM   #7
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)


I bet she drools and asks if she can have a bit.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:37 PM   #8
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Deep fry it, first. She won't be able to resist.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:46 PM   #9
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
Deep fry it, first. She won't be able to resist.
Do you recommend any particular oil for deep-fried ding dongs?
__________________
Would you like a dream with that?
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 01:52 PM   #10
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense
 
TheKillerPenguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Vagabond
Bikes: Affirmative
Posts: 12,388
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
ky
TheKillerPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:02 PM   #11
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
GB, depending on what part of the country you're in, "dear" and "hon" are not uncommon non-romantic terms. And even if she didn't say "dear" at first, it may have only been because she hadn't developed a friendship with you yet in the professional environment. She is married. Just because she's friendly and you're attracted doesn't mean it's mutual. If you're willin' to have an affair with a married woman with (step)kids, however, just ask her if she's interested. Best case, you'll become the mistress of a love triangle with two kids caught in the crossfire. Worst case, she'll start spending less time with you than with the boss.

Being in the engineering field, I've been sometimes the only woman in a whole office of guys, from grad school to the workworld to the field. I've learned to appreciate, sophomoric though it is, the male sense of humor, and count a number of men among my closest friends. However, I've lost a number of otherwise enjoyable male friends 'cause the guys mistook a fun and easy-going friendship for sexual interest, came on to me, couldn't handle the gentle rejection, and bailed.

Sometimes women just enjoy male friendship. And sometimes that includes pickin' on and teasin' each other a bit.

Jes' sayin'.
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:13 PM   #12
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
GB, depending on what part of the country you're in, "dear" and "hon" are not uncommon non-romantic terms. And even if she didn't say "dear" at first, it may have only been because she hadn't developed a friendship with you yet in the professional environment. She is married. Just because she's friendly and you're attracted doesn't mean it's mutual. If you're willin' to have an affair with a married woman with (step)kids, however, just ask her if she's interested. Best case, you'll become the mistress of a love triangle with two kids caught in the crossfire. Worst case, she'll start spending less time with you than with the boss.

Being in the engineering field, I've been sometimes the only woman in a whole office of guys, from grad school to the workworld to the field. I've learned to appreciate, sophomoric though it is, the male sense of humor, and count a number of men among my closest friends. However, I've lost a number of otherwise enjoyable male friends 'cause the guys mistook a fun and easy-going friendship for sexual interest, came on to me, couldn't handle the gentle rejection, and bailed.

Sometimes women just enjoy male friendship. And sometimes that includes pickin' on and teasin' each other a bit.

Jes' sayin'.
Thanks, VV. That was the answer I was looking for i.e. a woman's perspective on the use of the word "Dear." I am not interested in having an affair. Kind of like building a house on loose ground with a poor foundation. I have someone I am interested in, anyway. I guess I did not understand the part of the sudden use of the word "Dear", and you did a great job in explaining it to me. I really don't think she is looking outside her marriage. It was just my confusion regarding this kind of attention.
__________________
Would you like a dream with that?
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:26 PM   #13
jschen
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
Posts: 7,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As you've probably figured out, it depends on context.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:29 PM   #14
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiaboy
Thanks, VV. That was the answer I was looking for i.e. a woman's perspective on the use of the word "Dear." I am not interested in having an affair. Kind of like building a house on loose ground with a poor foundation. I have someone I am interested in, anyway. I guess I did not understand the part of the sudden use of the word "Dear", and you did a great job in explaining it to me. I really don't think she is looking outside her marriage. It was just my confusion regarding this kind of attention.
<shrug> She may be looking. I really don't know. My instinct says no, and so I'm just tryin' to offer an alternative explanation of the use of the term. It's really not uncommon 'round here, though, as I said, it doesn't get thrown out in a professional environment so much unless the people to whom it's directed have some kind of established relationship (i.e. friendship) with the one using it. But maybe you're somewhere where it's not so commonly used? Don't know, "baybuh."

Take note, guys. To further confuse your understanding of women, sometimes we really are just laughing at your jokes. Period.
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:31 PM   #15
jschen
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
Posts: 7,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
Take note, guys. To further confuse your understanding of women...
Umm... wouldn't that require us to have some understanding (however confused) in the first place?
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:39 PM   #16
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
<shrug> She may be looking. I really don't know. My instinct says no, and so I'm just tryin' to offer an alternative explanation of the use of the term. It's really not uncommon 'round here, though, as I said, it doesn't get thrown out in a professional environment so much unless the people to whom it's directed have some kind of established relationship (i.e. friendship) with the one using it. But maybe you're somewhere where it's not so commonly used? Don't know, "baybuh."

Take note, guys. To further confuse your understanding of women, sometimes we really are just laughing at your jokes. Period.
I am in Atlanta, and have been called Dear before. If someone called me dear from the gitgo that tells me it's their expression as part of their vocabulary. To the contrary, when someone does not use it then start to use it could it be motivated by something other than vocabulary? I am getting long winded here and out on a tangent. It's tough hacking your way through the jungle of emotion. Guess, I just have the song "Is it just my imagination, runnin away with me?" stewin' in my head.
__________________
Would you like a dream with that?

Last edited by georgiaboy; 02-11-07 at 03:12 PM.
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:39 PM   #17
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
no, Id never call someone dear out of being romantic.. oh dear is used in phrases like these.

You didnt help clean up? ohhhh dear

you think I didnt do enough? well, we need to chat, my dear..

or worst it can be used like this..

My dear so and so, Im writting to you because well, I really cant stand you so I couldnt bother telling you face to face..

on the other hand if she calls you sexy things or sweetie or handsome or big guy, than you got a chance.
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:43 PM   #18
jschen
riding once again
 
jschen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Diego, CA
Bikes: '06 Cervelo R3, '05 Specialized Allez
Posts: 7,359
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Unlike BDG, when romantically involved with someone, "dear" or "dearest" is one of my favorite terms of endearment. I tend to avoid any sarcastic use of that term when dating someone. With other people, it depends. Last time I hung out with a girl all day, I think I used it both romantically and sarcastically in the same day.
__________________
If you notice this notice then you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
jschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 02:45 PM   #19
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd
Thread Starter
 
georgiaboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Morningside - Atlanta
Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1949 Riva Sport
Posts: 1,583
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschen
Unlike BDG, when romantically involved with someone, "dear" or "dearest" is one of my favorite terms of endearment. I tend to avoid any sarcastic use of that term when dating someone. With other people, it depends. Last time I hung out with a girl all day, I think I used it both romantically and sarcastically in the same day.
I am dating a girl from New York and she calls me "Dearheart." I have never been called that before I met her.

Could it be this.
__________________
Would you like a dream with that?
georgiaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 03:03 PM   #20
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Remember you are in Georgia.
In the southern female vernacular Dear, Honey, Sweetheart, and all sorts of other endearments are synonymous with dude.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 03:57 PM   #21
VegaVixen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
Bikes: '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
Posts: 1,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenG
Remember you are in Georgia.
In the southern female vernacular Dear, Honey, Sweetheart, and all sorts of other endearments are synonymous with dude.
Yeah, like the way suth'un guys call women "darlin'".
VegaVixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 04:15 PM   #22
Alfster 
long time visiter
 
Alfster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: in the Northern Tundra
Bikes: 2005 Trek 6700 disc 2007 Orbea Onix 2009 Raleigh One Way
Posts: 615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
GB, depending on what part of the country you're in, "dear" and "hon" are not uncommon non-romantic terms. And even if she didn't say "dear" at first, it may have only been because she hadn't developed a friendship with you yet in the professional environment. She is married. Just because she's friendly and you're attracted doesn't mean it's mutual. If you're willin' to have an affair with a married woman with (step)kids, however, just ask her if she's interested. Best case, you'll become the mistress of a love triangle with two kids caught in the crossfire. Worst case, she'll start spending less time with you than with the boss.

Being in the engineering field, I've been sometimes the only woman in a whole office of guys, from grad school to the workworld to the field. I've learned to appreciate, sophomoric though it is, the male sense of humor, and count a number of men among my closest friends. However, I've lost a number of otherwise enjoyable male friends 'cause the guys mistook a fun and easy-going friendship for sexual interest, came on to me, couldn't handle the gentle rejection, and bailed.

Sometimes women just enjoy male friendship. And sometimes that includes pickin' on and teasin' each other a bit.

Jes' sayin'.
Hi VegaVixen. I also work in an engineering field and I've been called 'Dear' by a few different women at work. However I find it at times a bit creepy and inappropriate. It can also be used as a condescending term or can be easily mis-interpretted as such. Other guys at my workplace agree. I'm sure it's not usually meant this way, however I prefer not being called dear (except by my wife).
Alfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 04:26 PM   #23
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,751
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegaVixen
Yeah, like the way suth'un guys call women "darlin'".
That thar is exactly what I'm talking about sweet-ums.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 04:47 PM   #24
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
"dear" is fine. I call all chics "sweetie", saves me the trouble of remembering their names and using the wrong ones inappropriately...
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-07, 04:51 PM   #25
blonduathlongrl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 4,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschen
Unlike BDG, when romantically involved with someone, "dear" or "dearest" is one of my favorite terms of endearment. I tend to avoid any sarcastic use of that term when dating someone. With other people, it depends. Last time I hung out with a girl all day, I think I used it both romantically and sarcastically in the same day.
I like to be called dear when used like this..
my dear sweetie
my dear sweet baby
or the best my dear princess
blonduathlongrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:44 PM.