Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-07, 09:36 AM   #1
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
Thread Starter
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Calling all NYC'ers. . .

I'm going to be on the upper east side of Manhattan (1st and 92nd) for a week in the near future. My personal experience in Manhattan is almost exclusively downtown, so I don't really know anything about that immediate area.

I've got no problem poking around on my own, but I'll have clients with me for part of the week. Anyone have ideas of things to do? I'm mostly concerned about places to eat. Should I stay in that area, or head downtown to places I'm familiar with?

If it wasn't so bloody cold, I'd probably be bringing my bike. . .
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 09:39 AM   #2
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
I'm going to be on the upper east side of Manhattan (1st and 92nd) for a week in the near future. My personal experience in Manhattan is almost exclusively downtown, so I don't really know anything about that immediate area.

I've got no problem poking around on my own, but I'll have clients with me for part of the week. Anyone have ideas of things to do? I'm mostly concerned about places to eat. Should I stay in that area, or head downtown to places I'm familiar with?

If it wasn't so bloody cold, I'd probably be bringing my bike. . .
it's not that cold now.

i say take 'em downtown.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 09:49 AM   #3
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
Thread Starter
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should probably quantify my post with some expectations - these are "let's go have a fun time together" clients, not "I need to spend a billion dollars at a fancy restaurant to impress you" clients. So a cozy pub or some really awesome ethnic food would be great.

If my cold excuse won't work, then how about this: If the days weren't so bloody short. . . . (he said, trying to hide his wimpishness about riding in an unfamiliar area. . . )
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 09:52 AM   #4
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
I should probably quantify my post with some expectations - these are "let's go have a fun time together" clients, not "I need to spend a billion dollars at a fancy restaurant to impress you" clients. So a cozy pub or some really awesome ethnic food would be great.

If my cold excuse won't work, then how about this: If the days weren't so bloody short. . . . (he said, trying to hide his wimpishness about riding in an unfamiliar area. . . )
Central Park is 5 mins away. What's tough abut that?
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 09:57 AM   #5
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
Thread Starter
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, I'll admit. The real reason I don't want to take my bike into the city is I'm afraid of running in to R600DuraAce.

But really, 90% of my riding is empty farm roads, so more than anything I just don't know what to expect if I did bring my bike. Tell me what I need to know about riding in Central Park - are there specific bike paths/areas? Is it lit (I'll be working from 7 until 5 or 6pm or so, so not much daylight available. . . )? etc.
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:00 AM   #6
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
Ok, I'll admit. The real reason I don't want to take my bike into the city is I'm afraid of running in to R600DuraAce.

But really, 90% of my riding is empty farm roads, so more than anything I just don't know what to expect if I did bring my bike. Tell me what I need to know about riding in Central Park - are there specific bike paths/areas? Is it lit (I'll be working from 7 until 5 or 6pm or so, so not much daylight available. . . )? etc.
i'll be honest with you. i haven't lived in NY for over 5 years now.

that said, CP is where i started riding seriously. during the winter i did almost all of my riding there at night. there used to be a pack ride, meeting at 7PM on cat's aw hill. not sure if that still happens.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:01 AM   #7
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
42 or porcupines. I got nothin, sorry.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:03 AM   #8
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
Thread Starter
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm gonna be on a tri bike (most likely) so I dunno if a pack would take me on, anyways. They tend to be snooty about us multisport/tt types.

So there's lighting for after-dark rides then? That's pretty cool. . . I'm liking this idea more and more.
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:07 AM   #9
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
I'm gonna be on a tri bike (most likely) so I dunno if a pack would take me on, anyways. They tend to be snooty about us multisport/tt types.
with good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
So there's lighting for after-dark rides then? That's pretty cool. . . I'm liking this idea more and more.
there's some lighting, yes. you wouldn't be the only person trying to get some exercise in the park after dark.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:23 AM   #10
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My friend lives on 78th and york and when I'm there, we usually go to a few bars on 2nd ave in the area. Theres a decent chinese place on 2nd between i think 81st and 82nd, by decent I mean not expensive but has a good menu, not just the typical chinese restruant stuff.
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:28 AM   #11
henria86
Boosted Mr2
 
henria86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NYC
Bikes: Klein's Merlin's
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
... JUST hop on the subway to chinatown for good cheap chinese food... or head over to k town on 33st.. for korean bbq.. plus its not cold out.. there's alot of goos eating places an bars..
henri
henria86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:30 AM   #12
jyossarian
SERENITY NOW!!!
 
jyossarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the 212
Bikes: Haro Vector, IRO Rob Roy, Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 8,756
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
CP's traffic free after 7 pm weekdays and traffic free all weekend. Get on the main roadway and ride in 6 mile circles as much as you want. There'll be tons of other riders out on roadies, mtbs, fixies, etc. Lots of joggers too.

For fun, if you're clients live in NYC, they'll know where to go. Pick up a Village Voice or Time Out NY for some ideas on music, food, happenings, etc. I suggest going to Coney Island and riding the Cyclone until you're too bruised to ride anymore. Then stuff yourself w/ fried clams, cheese fries and hotdogs at Nathans. You can also do this in reverse order.
__________________
HHCMF - Take pride in your ability to amaze lesser mortals! - MikeR



We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
jyossarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:29 PM   #13
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I believe you'll be in a rather nice residential area, and there should be plenty of good local eateries. But I still always check out Greenwich Village every time I'm in NYC.
randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:30 PM   #14
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randya
I believe you'll be in a rather nice residential area, and there should be plenty of good local eateries. But I still always check out Greenwich Village every time I'm in NYC.
"good local eateries" around 1st and 92nd?
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:31 PM   #15
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
"good local eateries" around 1st and 92nd?
So what do I know? What's 20 or thirty blocks in NY anyway?

randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:35 PM   #16
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
Thread Starter
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
"good local eateries" around 1st and 92nd?
So, what - there's nothing worth eating at in the immediate area?

My clients are from the south. They're "excited" to see snow and can't wait to take pictures to show the friends back home.
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 01:38 PM   #17
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by randya
I believe you'll be in a rather nice residential area, and there should be plenty of good local eateries. But I still always check out Greenwich Village every time I'm in NYC.
Yeah.... there's that KFC with the rats scampering about.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-07, 10:50 PM   #18
TRACKMAN
hide not your essence
 
TRACKMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dodge City
Bikes: Airborne,Guerciotti,Jamis,Merckx,Paris Sport,Raleigh,Vitus
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
the truth about Central Parks 6.3 mile road course

Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
i'll be honest with you. i haven't lived in NY for over 5 years now.

that said, CP is where i started riding seriously. during the winter i did almost all of my riding there at night. there used to be a pack ride, meeting at 7PM on cat's aw hill. not sure if that still happens.
Nah, the ride used to start at Tavern on the green and the finish (sprint line) was below Strawberry Hill.
It had been 'outlawed' several years ago. The same tyme local police implemented a 15 MPH speed limit for cyclists.

The 'Cats Paw' hill above the boathouse was/is the start finish for all sanctioned races in Central Park.

If you ride, early morning or late evening weekends only is your best bet. It has become quite conjested
now all other tymes, not to mention the cars are allowed to foul the air and roadways most of the weekday hours now.

There are many really good restraunts on the West side, Copper Kettle on 86th street was a regular for me. East side of Manhattan had always been 'old money' and quite stuffy and $$.
Stay on the Westside for more upscale trendy places and not really crazy prices.

For more ethnic flavour and plethura of choices try the West Village, a must see if visiting N.Y.
__________________
May you find the joy and peace you long for.
Life is a journey ... NOT a guided tour.
.......__O
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )...
TRACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 04:36 AM   #19
botto 
.
 
botto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 40,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRACKMAN
Nah, the ride used to start at Tavern on the green and the finish (sprint line) was below Strawberry Hill.
It had been 'outlawed' several years ago. The same tyme local police implemented a 15 MPH speed limit for cyclists.

The 'Cats Paw' hill above the boathouse was/is the start finish for all sanctioned races in Central Park.
i suppose it had changed in recent years, but the pack ride DID in fact meet at cat's paw hill.

it's a pity that it's gone, but then again the ride was always dangerous, and probably got a hell of a lot more dangerous with so many lance wanna be's getting into the sport.
botto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-07, 04:47 PM   #20
TRACKMAN
hide not your essence
 
TRACKMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dodge City
Bikes: Airborne,Guerciotti,Jamis,Merckx,Paris Sport,Raleigh,Vitus
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just spoke with my daughter in NYC.
Try the Zabu Grill, upper east side.
You can also call her boyfriend Justin
@ 646-586-4466
mention me ( Spencer) he will 'hook you up' :0)
__________________
May you find the joy and peace you long for.
Life is a journey ... NOT a guided tour.
.......__O
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )...
TRACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 06:36 AM   #21
SaabFan
The AVatar Ninja
Thread Starter
 
SaabFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 609
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks again for the tips, everyone.

I brought my bike down. One final dumb question - is the park well enough lit that I won't need lights on my bike? I hope the answer is "yes" because I don't have any. . . Didn't think of this till now, of course.
SaabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-07, 10:21 AM   #22
Bob Ross
your god hates me
 
Bob Ross's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 3,230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
"good local eateries" around 1st and 92nd?
Walk 1 or 2 blocks west, then 6 blocks in either direction (North or South). If that fails, walk another 1 or 2 blocks west & try again. Repeat as necessary. If you're not sitting cozy with a hot meal & a cold brew in front of you within 20 minutes, I'll eat my hat. 3rd & 91st should have half a dozen pubs and Asian restaurants on that intersection alone.

I have *never* had difficulty finding a charming & tasty eatery on the upper east side.
Bob Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 07:12 PM   #23
TRACKMAN
hide not your essence
 
TRACKMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dodge City
Bikes: Airborne,Guerciotti,Jamis,Merckx,Paris Sport,Raleigh,Vitus
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hate to be such a pest short of identifying myself.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by botto
i suppose it had changed in recent years, but the pack ride DID in fact meet at cat's paw hill.

it's a pity that it's gone, but then again the ride was always dangerous, and probably got a hell of a lot more dangerous with so many lance wanna be's getting into the sport.
If the finish was below Strawberry fields why would
the ride start half way around the park?


Having trained there for almost a decade
since returning from Europe 86'
when Hincapie was a junior riding for TOGA
before switching to Mengione.
( even pushed him up 104th street hill a few tymes)
Mike McCarthy, the Carney brothers just to name a few.
It was a serious training ride Monday through Thursday
for years.
With the exception of Wednesdays when we would ride
to race at the veldrome in Kissena Queens and Friday being
our 'rest' day before Saturdays races.
The'Boathouse' crew or as you refer to 'Cats Paw' area
were the wanna bees which would jump in after the fact
and for the most part were the spoilers that got the ride
banned.
__________________
May you find the joy and peace you long for.
Life is a journey ... NOT a guided tour.
.......__O
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )...
TRACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 07:14 PM   #24
TRACKMAN
hide not your essence
 
TRACKMAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dodge City
Bikes: Airborne,Guerciotti,Jamis,Merckx,Paris Sport,Raleigh,Vitus
Posts: 155
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
there is light

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabFan
I'm gonna be on a tri bike (most likely) so I dunno if a pack would take me on, anyways. They tend to be snooty about us multisport/tt types.

So there's lighting for after-dark rides then? That's pretty cool. . . I'm liking this idea more and more.
the only dark portion would be on the east side by the reservoir ( long straightaway )
__________________
May you find the joy and peace you long for.
Life is a journey ... NOT a guided tour.
.......__O
.......\<,
....( )/ ( )...
TRACKMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 07:47 PM   #25
randya
Senior Member
 
randya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: in bed with your mom
Bikes: who cares?
Posts: 13,689
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross
Walk 1 or 2 blocks west, then 6 blocks in either direction (North or South). If that fails, walk another 1 or 2 blocks west & try again. Repeat as necessary. If you're not sitting cozy with a hot meal & a cold brew in front of you within 20 minutes, I'll eat my hat. 3rd & 91st should have half a dozen pubs and Asian restaurants on that intersection alone.

I have *never* had difficulty finding a charming & tasty eatery on the upper east side.
I knew I was right.

randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 PM.