Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-15-07, 07:43 PM   #1
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
Thread Starter
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will a resistor reduce speaker volume?

I have a TV where the lowest volume setting is actually little too loud for me when I watch while I'm in bed and there is no other noise in the room and I'm not about to spend money on a new tv when this one works fine otherwise.

Can I just solder in an inline resistor to each speaker to reduce the volume a bit?

If so, what resistor should I go with?
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 08:15 PM   #2
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.
 
Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: South Florida
Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
Posts: 16,120
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseysbest
I have a TV where the lowest volume setting is actually little too loud for me when I watch while I'm in bed and there is no other noise in the room and I'm not about to spend money on a new tv when this one works fine otherwise.

Can I just solder in an inline resistor to each speaker to reduce the volume a bit?

If so, what resistor should I go with?
Easier soklution:

Just muffle the speakers with cushions in a way they don't block the screen! No soldering required!
__________________
. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Tom Stormcrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 08:23 PM   #3
Jerseysbest
J E R S E Y S B E S T
Thread Starter
 
Jerseysbest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: DC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,849
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
Easier soklution:

Just muffle the speakers with cushions in a way they don't block the screen! No soldering required!
I've thought about that, buts its too easy of a solution, I have the urge to take this thing apart
Jerseysbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 08:24 PM   #4
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
solder a metallic pillow over the speaker.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-07, 09:02 PM   #5
Portis
Banned.
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Home alone
Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
Posts: 6,019
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm no expert but I always thought that speakers operated on AC. How would a restistor be connected? Across the leads would effect the impedence would it not?
Portis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 03:11 AM   #6
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Resistor affects AC same way as DC as current only flow in one direction at any moment in time. Think about the resistive load of a 60w bulb vs. a 120w bulb. Anyway, hooking up a resistor in series will limit the total current flow. If it's an 8-ohm speaker, adding an 8-ohm resistor in series will reduce power by 1/2. Adding a resistor in parallel across the leads creates a voltage-divider. Sure you might get lower power going through the speaker, but may end up with 2x or 3x the powerr being shunted through the resistor.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 05:12 AM   #7
RonH
Life is good
 
RonH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Not far from the Withlacoochee Trail. 🚴🏻
Bikes: 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and 2014 Cannondale SuperSix EVO Hi-Mod
Posts: 16,295
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Do as Danno suggested. Solder a 4 ohm resistor in series with the speaker if it's a 4 ohm speaker; an 8 ohm resistor if the speaker is 8 ohms, etc.
Forget the parallel resistor idea.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseysbest
I have a TV where the lowest volume setting is actually little too loud for me when I watch while I'm in bed and there is no other noise in the room.
Or you could turn on the radio or some other "noise-making" device so the TV volume won't seem too loud.
__________________


The LORD is merciful and gracious, slow to anger, and plenteous in mercy. - Psalm 103:8
RonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 05:45 AM   #8
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Resistor affects AC same way as DC as current only flow in one direction at any moment in time. Think about the resistive load of a 60w bulb vs. a 120w bulb. Anyway, hooking up a resistor in series will limit the total current flow. If it's an 8-ohm speaker, adding an 8-ohm resistor in series will reduce power by 1/2. Adding a resistor in parallel across the leads creates a voltage-divider. Sure you might get lower power going through the speaker, but may end up with 2x or 3x the powerr being shunted through the resistor.
beat me to it

+1
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 09:12 AM   #9
nobrainer440
I play in the street.
 
nobrainer440's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: College: K-State; Home: Overland Park, KS
Bikes: 2005 Allez Triple, 1971 Schwinn Varsity Fixed Gear Conversion
Posts: 977
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It'll work, just be aware of how much power is being dissipated by the resistor. If you hook an 8 ohm resistor in series with an 8 ohm speaker, half the amplifier power will be dissipated by the resistor, so if your amp is putting out 1 or 2 watts, a normal little 1/4 watt resistor is going to get real hot. I'd look for a 1/2 or 1 watt resistor.
nobrainer440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 03:13 PM   #10
Ken B.
Grand Vizier
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Easier solution. Put a resistor in each ear.
Ken B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-07, 03:26 PM   #11
Nicodemus
Feral Member
 
Nicodemus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Roma, Italia
Bikes: yes, I have one.
Posts: 2,666
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken B.
Easier solution. Put a resistor in each ear.
dang! i is pwned!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.
Nicodemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:30 AM.