Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-17-07, 08:12 AM   #26
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19
But, at least they were wearing all the right gear, right? Right? (This is why I love Darwin).

Oh Yeah, I am sure Lakisia [sp] made sure her "baby" was wearing all the right gear because I am positive she is a responsible parent who would only let him ride under parental supervision.

<gags and last night's snacks make an escape>
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 08:29 AM   #27
skiahh
Senior Member
 
skiahh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: CO Springs, CO
Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic
Posts: 1,035
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfin2004
"riding a motorized dirt bike on a sidewalk. "


Big difference from what the thread title implies. First. the cop should have handed the ticket to the Parents. They do not know this is against the law?

In my neighborhood there is a little punk kid about 9 or so and he rides this dirt bike wherever he wants. Have see him zip across another neighbors front yard. I was watching him blast through the park the other day when it was loaded with kids playing. This is an accident waiting to happen. He was having to dodge all the kids as he was riding as fast as that bike could carry his fat a$$, just showin' off.

Got the picture?

Okay, now cuff the kid and confiscate the bike. Punish the Parents as well where it really hurts, in the wallet.
Yeah, I got the picture. Still, cuffing a 7 year old kid does nothing but inspire fear - not respect - for cops and generates resentment.

Do you cuff your kids when they do something wrong? Or just take something away?

So, the cop should have taken the kid and bike to his mother, then confiscated the bike, telling the mom how to retrieve it if she wants to... all in front of the kid, of course, so the kid knows that he was wrong, he embarrassed his mother (probably won't understand that at 7, but still) and that the ball is in mom's court.

Once the cop tells the mom, if YOU want the bike back.... The kid should understand that, even at 7.

But to handcuff a 7 year old, haul him off to the police station and cuff him to a bench? Yeah, regardless of the situation, that cop's gotta be proud of his day's work.
skiahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 02:42 PM   #28
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19
But, at least they were wearing all the right gear, right? Right? (This is why I love Darwin).
Yeah... Jeans, tee-shirts & sneakers.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 05:23 PM   #29
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh
Yeah, I got the picture. Still, cuffing a 7 year old kid does nothing but inspire fear - not respect - for cops and generates resentment.

Do you cuff your kids when they do something wrong? Or just take something away?

So, the cop should have taken the kid and bike to his mother, then confiscated the bike, telling the mom how to retrieve it if she wants to... all in front of the kid, of course, so the kid knows that he was wrong, he embarrassed his mother (probably won't understand that at 7, but still) and that the ball is in mom's court.

Once the cop tells the mom, if YOU want the bike back.... The kid should understand that, even at 7.

But to handcuff a 7 year old, haul him off to the police station and cuff him to a bench? Yeah, regardless of the situation, that cop's gotta be proud of his day's work.

Remember this from maybe a year or so ago? Not saying its right at all. Like you say skiaah, the parents should be the one to pay the price.


Police: Handcuffing girl not a violation
Date: August 5, 2005 Source: AP
Police officers committed an error of judgment when they handcuffed an unruly kindergartner at school in March but did not violate policy, the department's chief said Thursday. Chief Chuck Harmon said the two officers who handcuffed the 5-year-old girl were reprimanded for minor errors in handling the situation, which gained worldwide attention when a videotape of the confrontation was released to broadcasters.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 06:37 PM   #30
FlyingAnchor
Senior Member
 
FlyingAnchor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Humboldt County Ca
Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a teacher I know of controlled and uncontrolled kids, and there is a way to deal with each. Cuffing them is usually not on the list but I can imagine a reason like for the kids safety or some such but generally, NO.
By the way, the use of the word "pig" is just stupid and shows "your" maturity level. As if you judge all police officers by the occasional nimrod. Grow up.
Steven
FlyingAnchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-07, 07:04 PM   #31
DM4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiahh
Yeah, I got the picture. Still, cuffing a 7 year old kid does nothing but inspire fear - not respect - for cops and generates resentment.

Do you cuff your kids when they do something wrong? Or just take something away?

So, the cop should have taken the kid and bike to his mother, then confiscated the bike, telling the mom how to retrieve it if she wants to... all in front of the kid, of course, so the kid knows that he was wrong, he embarrassed his mother (probably won't understand that at 7, but still) and that the ball is in mom's court.

Once the cop tells the mom, if YOU want the bike back.... The kid should understand that, even at 7.

But to handcuff a 7 year old, haul him off to the police station and cuff him to a bench? Yeah, regardless of the situation, that cop's gotta be proud of his day's work.


First, in order to confiscate someone's property that person must be charged with an offense that justifies the confiscation of the property. You just can't confiscate property because you want to. Secondly, there is no prohibition on charging anyone of any age. This includes motor vehicle offenses. With few exceptions, the mother cannot be charged for the actions of her son. In cases where this does happen the son must also get charged. The resulting prosecution is age dependant. I make these statements with respect to the laws of N.J., however most states laws are duplicates of all other states.

It is quite possible that the little cherub, as portrayed by the media and his mother, was responsible for earlier actions that were careless, reckless, or criminal in nature and the police finally caught him as he was parked near his home.

You are all assuming the cops overreacted when the only info you have is a news account portraying one, biased side of the story. You are the people who are overreacting and wanting to punish the police in the same manner the news media is portraying the police as overreacting and punishing the child. Shame on all of you.
DM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 05:51 AM   #32
wfin2004
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Riverview, Florida
Bikes: Trek 4900
Posts: 1,137
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He sounds as if he knows the laws of confiscation. Actually a police officer. The retoric contained in this thread would irritate me if I was a Police Officer as well. Too many people are assuming the police are always wrong, civil rights violated, etc. Put the blame where it needs to be. On the irresponsible thugs, criminals, and juvenile delinquents.
wfin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 06:24 AM   #33
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfin2004
He sounds as if he knows the laws of confiscation. Actually a police officer. The retoric contained in this thread would irritate me if I was a Police Officer as well. Too many people are assuming the police are always wrong, civil rights violated, etc. Put the blame where it needs to be. On the irresponsible thugs, criminals, and juvenile delinquents.

I don't think that anybody was implying that 'the police are always wrong' - and anybody who would make such a rediculous contention is just plain and ignorant. But in this case it does seem obvious that the police grossly over-reacted, I mean how do you even fit hand cuffs on a seven year old child? It was so plainly wrong that the mayor even felt it necessary to publically apologise for the insident presumably before any investigation had been concluded.
Does anyone think that a police officer would dare pull a white kid by his collar off a bike - and then cuff him and take custody of him infront of his parents? No, a white kid could have been riding around, causing traffic accidents and running down the neighbors cats and dog with his motorbike, and the police officer(s) still would not dare touch a hair on his head.
red house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 07:29 AM   #34
DM4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red house
I don't think that anybody was implying that 'the police are always wrong' - and anybody who would make such a rediculous contention is just plain and ignorant. But in this case it does seem obvious that the police grossly over-reacted, I mean how do you even fit hand cuffs on a seven year old child? It was so plainly wrong that the mayor even felt it necessary to publically apologise for the insident presumably before any investigation had been concluded.
Does anyone think that a police officer would dare pull a white kid by his collar off a bike - and then cuff him and take custody of him infront of his parents? No, a white kid could have been riding around, causing traffic accidents and running down the neighbors cats and dog with his motorbike, and the police officer(s) still would not dare touch a hair on his head.

This case IS NOT obvious. There is a one-sided news account of the incident. You DO NOT know the details of the incident. You DO NOT know the anything about the child or officers involved. IF the mayor apologized before knowing the details of the incident then he is being irresponsible. There is NOTHING about this incident that is OBVIOUS based upon the news account.

What is most troublesome about your cavalier attitude in assigning fault to the police is that you now want to make it a racial issue. Why should race even be an issue here? What is your basis for believing the police would not have followed the same course of action if the child had been of another race?
DM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 12:15 PM   #35
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Moderator's Note: Stacey is absolutely right. There is no place in Foo for the direction this thread was headed. If that's where you want to go, either start a new thread in P&R, or ask me to move this one there. I'll be happy to do it. There is also a thread about this story in A&S, although we are actively working on cleaning that place up at the moment.

If it stays here, no more P&R-style personal insults, please.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 12:23 PM   #36
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
^^ You moderated the best part(s).. -? ..okay.

Last edited by red house; 03-18-07 at 03:05 PM.
red house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 12:50 PM   #37
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche
 
HigherGround's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Somewhere between Funkytown and Margaritaville, PA
Bikes: Lynskey R330, Litespeed Classic, Eddy Merckx MX Leader, Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)
Posts: 5,766
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red house
I don't think that anybody was implying that 'the police are always wrong' - and anybody who would make such a rediculous contention is just plain and ignorant. But in this case it does seem obvious that the police grossly over-reacted, I mean how do you even fit hand cuffs on a seven year old child? It was so plainly wrong that the mayor even felt it necessary to publically apologise for the insident presumably before any investigation had been concluded.
Does anyone think that a police officer would dare pull a white kid by his collar off a bike - and then cuff him and take custody of him infront of his parents? No, a white kid could have been riding around, causing traffic accidents and running down the neighbors cats and dog with his motorbike, and the police officer(s) still would not dare touch a hair on his head.
Why is race necessarily a factor? Would it make a difference whether the arresting officer was white, black, Asian, Hispanic, or some other ethnicity? Is it possible that (hypothetically) someone with anger management issues is pissed at everybody, regardless of their skin color, and they seek out the easiest target?
__________________
The rider in my avatar is David Etxebarria, not me.
HigherGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 02:41 PM   #38
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamb
Moderator's Note: Stacey is absolutely right. There is no place in Foo for the direction this thread was headed. If that's where you want to go, either start a new thread in P&R, or ask me to move this one there. I'll be happy to do it. There is also a thread about this story in A&S, although we are actively working on cleaning that place up at the moment.

If it stays here, no more P&R-style personal insults, please.
Thankee Sheriff Donna, thankee kindly.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 02:51 PM   #39
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HigherGround
Why is race necessarily a factor? Would it make a difference whether the arresting officer was white, black, Asian, Hispanic, or some other ethnicity? Is it possible that (hypothetically) someone with anger management issues is pissed at everybody, regardless of their skin color, and they seek out the easiest target?

True, mon ami.. I just stated that the arresting officer would have likely been far more hesistant to do such a thing in front of the child's parents had the child been white.. -because they might have put one of their white magic voodoo curses on his ass. That's all.

Last edited by red house; 03-18-07 at 03:04 PM.
red house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 03:04 PM   #40
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NC mountains
Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
People calling all officers PIGS. I will refrain from comment. Generalizations once again rear their ignorant ugly heads.
__________________
Ego Campana Inflectum of Circuitous
msheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 05:31 PM   #41
RedHairedScot
So say we all.
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Bikes: Gary Fischer Wahoo, upgraded Specialized Allez
Posts: 728
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce19
"Lay it down" indicates a deliberate decision to break traction with the road in an effort to put the bike in a low side slide. It is a manuever of some skill.
Gotta ask...been in the position of considering this on a road bike at a medium speed. Quickly decided against it because I'd never done it before, stayed on the bike [1]. A motorcycle goes even faster and makes even more scrapes, dents, and personal injuries if you slide it, and I'd think it'd take more skill to do.

So...do you actually practice things like that? Or just think about it a lot? Seriously curious how you'd be confident enough to drop down like that without having done it before...it'd take serious guts.


[1] Came out ok. Clipless pedals save the day.
RedHairedScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 06:10 PM   #42
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,600
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedScot
Gotta ask...been in the position of considering this on a road bike at a medium speed. Quickly decided against it because I'd never done it before, stayed on the bike [1]. A motorcycle goes even faster and makes even more scrapes, dents, and personal injuries if you slide it, and I'd think it'd take more skill to do.
Yeah, staying upright with maximum braking right up to the moment of impact causes the lowest collision speeds and injuries compared to sliding on the ground. Even if you didn't slide into whatever you were trying to avoid, the roadrash alone would be way more injury than a minimal impact (which you may even fly over and land on your feet...).
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 06:27 PM   #43
DM4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red house
True, mon ami.. I just stated that the arresting officer would have likely been far more hesistant to do such a thing in front of the child's parents had the child been white.. -because they might have put one of their white magic voodoo curses on his ass. That's all.

I am beginning to get the impression the Red House is an ultra-conservative, white male, well into his 60's, just trying to stir the pot.

I trust the previous statement does not violate any Foo guidelines.
DM4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 08:06 PM   #44
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DM4
I am beginning to get the impression the Red House is an ultra-conservative, white male, well into his 60's, just trying to stir the pot.

I trust the previous statement does not violate any Foo guidelines.


well, yes.. . .though before I got the 'white curse' I was a young ganja smoking rasta. Don't ever mess with the ultra-conservative white man.. -they will do their voodoo and turn you into one of them!
red house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 09:08 PM   #45
donnamb 
tired
 
donnamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame
Posts: 5,652
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by red house
well, yes.. . .though before I got the 'white curse' I was a young ganja smoking rasta. Don't ever mess with the ultra-conservative white man.. -they will do their voodoo and turn you into one of them!
This thread is useless without pics.
__________________
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
donnamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-07, 10:52 PM   #46
red house
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
red house's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the stomach of a whale. :beer:
Bikes: Lemond Fillmore, Cmofalge black baby
Posts: 5,543
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamb
This thread is useless without pics.

well, okay.




''before'' the curse











''After''



..damn 'the man'.
red house is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:00 PM.