Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-21-07, 01:48 PM   #1
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NC mountains
Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Shock collars

Anyone here use a shock collar for modifying your dog's very very bad behaviors. Here is my story from yesterday:

Came home from work to walk the dog (rather let her out in the yard to play). She is very much still puppy and loves to run wide open and play with other dogs. My neighbors who live in Texas and have the home next to me as a second home came into their garage that was open and their dog which looks like a Laso came running from in the garage to the outside drive. My dog starts barking and I yell to her "No". She takes off running toward the neighbors barking (folks this is how she runs to someone to play and play with other dogs; stupid as she is but bless her heart she does not know any better). I take off after her and the neighbor grabs his dog and runs back inside. I had my dogs frisbee and like most would do being so mad I could kill her I whip her with a frisbee. I take her inside for 4 hrs. of time out and give her hard stearn glares which she sits there and pouts the whole time.

I am so mad for fear of being sued someday because we have worked with her so much and she knows what "No" means but it is like she rather take a whipping afterwards! I call my wife and we get into a fight because I have been wanting to fence in the yard but she does not want to and I tell her then the dog is her problem and she can pay out a lawsuit if she feels that way. I just want my dog to mind and get her attention when "No" simply does not work.

My wife brings home a shock collar from PetSmart and the yahoos at the store highly discouraged it saying you should try coneventional methods which we have over and over and over to no avail. I just can't seem to get through to this dog who means no harm but when she is running at you and barking I can't blame anyone for thinking she is unfriendly.

I try the collar today to get it set up and running properly and find her discomfort zone as to the right number on the digital display of shock intensity. It has a audible too to give them a warning which I am trying as well before I zap her. It gets her attention but I wonder if it will stop her in her tracks at a full run?

I just can't stomach being sued when she is friendly but sounds mean but she will knock you down by jumping up on you when she comes at you like that to just play.

Anyone else had luck with these things?

Here is the vicious young lady a 1.5 yr. old Brittany Spaniel:

__________________
Ego Campana Inflectum of Circuitous
msheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 01:53 PM   #2
snowy
Beauty Everywhere
 
snowy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Colorado
Bikes: 2006 Giant Anthem, Specialized Dolce Elite 05
Posts: 2,596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yep, we have to use one on one of our dogs. We have had the police at our condo, warnings etc. Its the only thing that will keep him from barking all day long.
The other dog is an angel!! but he was mine before I met my boyfriend.

Its my boyfriend's dog that we have to use the shock collar. I hate having to put it on him but we really didn't have any other choice.
__________________
"RIDE FAST TAKE CHANCES!"

Interested in the Women's Forum? Send me a PM for more information.
snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 01:56 PM   #3
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had our b!tch ar doggie training class, they put a bark activated collar on her. She'd bark, it would zap her, she'd howl and get zapped again. It was funny, she was too stupid to STFU and let the collar shut off.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 01:58 PM   #4
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think before you put a shock collar on a dog you should try it on yourself first.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 01:59 PM   #5
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NC mountains
Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My wife and I love her to death and she is a loving dog that will lick you to death but her presentation to others needs working on!
__________________
Ego Campana Inflectum of Circuitous
msheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:00 PM   #6
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NC mountains
Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard
I think before you put a shock collar on a dog you should try it on yourself first.
Sort of like Jackass the movie huh. I don't chase the neighbors so I will pass.
__________________
Ego Campana Inflectum of Circuitous
msheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:00 PM   #7
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,161
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, they are great! Just a peg below erotic autoasphixiation.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:00 PM   #8
superdex
staring at the mountains
 
superdex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Parker, CO
Bikes: 1x8 mtb kid-puller, Javelin Boca
Posts: 3,772
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Have you gone to any obedience classes? Try that first. Shock collars are a LAST LAST LAST resort. Consistency (from you and your wife) will work 90% of the time. It's hard to be consistent, though.

(parents have bred/trained/shown dogs for 25+yrs)





(oh, and Brittanies can be a handful. Good luck)
superdex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:04 PM   #9
Pheard
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: South City, Ca
Bikes:
Posts: 3,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheron
Sort of like Jackass the movie huh. I don't chase the neighbors so I will pass.
No, I was suggesting testing it out so the owner can understand the pain the dog has to go through everytime it is shocked. Of course if the dog is uncontrollable I suppose you don't have much choice. I don't know, never owned a dog in my life.

But yea I agree with Dex', try the shock collar as a last resort.
Pheard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:05 PM   #10
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yeah, I've tried those collars and got up to #7 before I'd yell. With liquor and I can handle up to #9.

One of the big problems I've seen with people training dogs is repeating commands. They have just once chance to obey and then it's corrective action. You can't be saying, "Sit, sit sit" repeatedly to a dog and have him tilt his head at you. That'll create a disobedient dog for sure. Rather, after the first sit command, you have to push his but down and make him sit.

Context is more important than content of the message as well since they really don't understand English. A firm command tone is what you want. One of my friends would squeal in a girly voice, "Oh no, Daisy, stop, no, no barking, come back here, stop". Do you think the dog obeyed? HAH! I'd say, "I LOVE YOU" in that cop voice and the dog would stop dead in its tracks. Heck, I could say anything, "BRING ME A BEER!", "DO MY TAXES!", whatever, but it's the tone that gets their attention.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:05 PM   #11
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!
 
Mo'Phat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poway, CA
Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
Posts: 4,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Simple: Trade in the Brittany for a model that doesn't bark.
Mo'Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:19 PM   #12
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NC mountains
Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo'Phat
Simple: Trade in the Brittany for a model that doesn't bark.
It's not her barking it is her unwillingness to mind to commands like "No!" "Come" she does okay at. It is like a hard headed person...................she knows she is doing wrong but does it anyway to spite us and then takes the punishment afterwards as if it was worth it. Who knows but hopefully this aid will work and she gets conditioned to the tone noise it emits prior to the actual shock.
__________________
Ego Campana Inflectum of Circuitous
msheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:19 PM   #13
msheron
I-M-D bell curve of bikn'
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: NC mountains
Bikes: 06' Jamis Eclipse in the making.
Posts: 2,926
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard
No, I was suggesting testing it out so the owner can understand the pain the dog has to go through everytime it is shocked. Of course if the dog is uncontrollable I suppose you don't have much choice. I don't know, never owned a dog in my life.

But yea I agree with Dex', try the shock collar as a last resort.
And I am a police officer and wear a ballistic vest but I don't let my friends shoot me to see if it works either.
__________________
Ego Campana Inflectum of Circuitous
msheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:21 PM   #14
Mo'Phat
Scum, Freezebag!
 
Mo'Phat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Poway, CA
Bikes: 2007 Leader 796R w/ 10sp DA and 2005 Jamis Dakar XLT FS MTB
Posts: 4,546
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should have read TFOP. All I saw was shock collar and barking in the thread.
Mo'Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:33 PM   #15
Mr. Gear Jammer
Senior Member
 
Mr. Gear Jammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msheron
Anyone here use a shock collar for modifying your dog's very very bad behaviors. Here is my story from yesterday:

Came home from work to walk the dog (rather let her out in the yard to play). She is very much still puppy and loves to run wide open and play with other dogs. My neighbors who live in Texas and have the home next to me as a second home came into their garage that was open and their dog which looks like a Laso came running from in the garage to the outside drive. My dog starts barking and I yell to her "No". She takes off running toward the neighbors barking (folks this is how she runs to someone to play and play with other dogs; stupid as she is but bless her heart she does not know any better). I take off after her and the neighbor grabs his dog and runs back inside. I had my dogs frisbee and like most would do being so mad I could kill her I whip her with a frisbee. I take her inside for 4 hrs. of time out and give her hard stearn glares which she sits there and pouts the whole time.

I am so mad for fear of being sued someday because we have worked with her so much and she knows what "No" means but it is like she rather take a whipping afterwards! I call my wife and we get into a fight because I have been wanting to fence in the yard but she does not want to and I tell her then the dog is her problem and she can pay out a lawsuit if she feels that way. I just want my dog to mind and get her attention when "No" simply does not work.

My wife brings home a shock collar from PetSmart and the yahoos at the store highly discouraged it saying you should try coneventional methods which we have over and over and over to no avail. I just can't seem to get through to this dog who means no harm but when she is running at you and barking I can't blame anyone for thinking she is unfriendly.

I try the collar today to get it set up and running properly and find her discomfort zone as to the right number on the digital display of shock intensity. It has a audible too to give them a warning which I am trying as well before I zap her. It gets her attention but I wonder if it will stop her in her tracks at a full run?

I just can't stomach being sued when she is friendly but sounds mean but she will knock you down by jumping up on you when she comes at you like that to just play.

Anyone else had luck with these things?

Here is the vicious young lady a 1.5 yr. old Brittany Spaniel:

Never wanted to use em, but if you have to use i guess their is no other choice.
Mr. Gear Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:34 PM   #16
Taerom
Hazardous
 
Taerom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Quarantine
Bikes: 2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard
I think before you put a shock collar on a dog you should try it on yourself first.
Heh, that's actually a lot of fun! I wish I had a working bark collar for the dog that lives in our house. Unfortunately, every collar I've ever owned is broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ
Context is more important than content of the message as well since they really don't understand English. A firm command tone is what you want. One of my friends would squeal in a girly voice, "Oh no, Daisy, stop, no, no barking, come back here, stop". Do you think the dog obeyed? HAH! I'd say, "I LOVE YOU" in that cop voice and the dog would stop dead in its tracks. Heck, I could say anything, "BRING ME A BEER!", "DO MY TAXES!", whatever, but it's the tone that gets their attention.
Very true. It's all in how you say it. One of the guys in our house will tell the dog to "stop" or "no barking" or something in a really girly voice. Of course the dog never listens to anything he says. He's the dogs biatch.
Taerom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:34 PM   #17
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?
 
bigskymacadam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Charlotte, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,709
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
have you seen "the dog whisperer" on nat'l geographic channel to get insight into the psychology of a dog and the part the owner plays in the household?

regarding shock collars. a couple folks in our neighbor have invisible fences and it looks to work pretty good.
bigskymacadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:49 PM   #18
SpiderMike
eert a ekil yzarc
 
SpiderMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Pasadena TX
Bikes: many bikes
Posts: 2,558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 hours of time out is tooo much. By 20 minutes into her time out, she had no clue to why she was getting punished. I second the obedience training. Just finished the beginner class with my Border Collie. Even though I already had my dog sitting, shaking, and staying it was a good thing. Not only did my dog socialize with the other dogs and people in the class, but I learned a few things. Things I never would have considered, and I helped raise two litters of dalmations.

Next time she tries running away, yell out something like "aaa-aant" (more of like a imitation of a buzzer than a word) instead of No. My wife started with that, he listened. It took me a couple of time to get the sound just right.

Last edited by SpiderMike; 03-21-07 at 02:57 PM.
SpiderMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 02:52 PM   #19
mlts22 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 998
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dogs have little sense of time... putting a dog in time out for 5 min is the same as 5 hours. I also recommend the obedience training, and save the shocking collar as a last resort, or for a bondage toy.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 03:02 PM   #20
BigSean
Senior Member
 
BigSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Nor-Cal Bay Area
Bikes:
Posts: 5,088
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I use one on my dog. But its the tone not the shock that works on her. She doesnt seem to mind the shock, but she hates that tone and will instantly come running back to me and sit whenever she hears it. Worked pretty well and I havent had to use it for a year, but recently she needs a reminder.
BigSean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 03:08 PM   #21
chipcom 
Infamous Member
 
chipcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Ohio
Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi
Posts: 24,366
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard
I think before you put a shock collar on a dog you should try it on yourself first.
+1
__________________
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
chipcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 03:28 PM   #22
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipcom
+1
Are you still barking at cars? Oh, and I saw you take that dump in my front yard, you need to clean up after yourself.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 03:59 PM   #23
KingTermite 
On my TARDIScycle!
 
KingTermite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Eastside Seattlite Termite Mound
Bikes: Trek 520, Trek Navigator 300, Peugeot Versailles PE10DE
Posts: 3,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Take her to a training class and dump the collar.

Edit: Oh...and watch "The Dog Whisperer" TV show. I'm not joking....it really gives good advice and sometimes you are doing things wrong and don't even realize it. Some dogs are more sensitive to our actions than others and you may need to modify your actions to modify the dogs'.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeecake View Post
- it's pretty well established that Hitler was an *******.
KingTermite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 04:04 PM   #24
Allen
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheard
I think before you put a shock collar on a dog you should try it on yourself first.
+1 here too.
My dad bought one of those things for his dog and tried it out on his own leg first. It went back imediatly. It left marks on my dad's skin and he said it hurt for more than an hour.
Don't taser your dog, she is far too sweet looking for that. A stern voice and more attention will get you better, faster results.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-07, 04:55 PM   #25
DannoXYZ 
Senior Member
 
DannoXYZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Saratoga, CA
Bikes:
Posts: 11,606
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Shock-collars aren't like the tasers that cops use. They're more like the gag cigarette lighters you leave on coffee table for unsuspecting friends...

http://www.petsafeworld.com/site/1494608/page/635574

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:00 AM.