Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 59
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Human interaction vs isolation due to cellphones

    When I went to the grocery store earlier tonight, I tried to be friendly to people I'd see on each aisle, as I'm still just gettin' out again, and I enjoy the human social interaction of even a simple "hello" or a smile. Unfortunately, most of them (and sadly nearly all the men from 35-65 ), were on cell phones! All while mindlessly shopping! How could it be otherwise? When someone is talkin' at ya, how can you think about what you're seeing on the "specials" labels or what you're puttin' in your cart?

    Got me to thinkin' about the numerous ways in which people isolate themselves from their real and immediate world, potentially to the extent of missing out on interesting personal encounters, or, even possibly endangering others, as when having a conversation while driving a moving vehicle.

    Discuss.

  2. #2
    pj7
    pj7 is offline
    On Sabbatical
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I'm at the grocers and see someone blathering away on the phone, I'll sneak stuff out of their cart and put it in mine as I walk away, then place it on a shelf somewhere.
    That way, when they go to ring out and realize there is stuff missing, they'll wonder if they are losing their minds or just stupid.
    childless I know, but so am I from time to time
    I am a sig Virus. Please put me in your sig so that I can continue to replicate.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    High-five! *smackin' hands*

    But next time, try addin' something to their cart.

  4. #4
    Senior Member cantdrv55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guilty of that. My cellphone bill is about $200/mo for 3000 minutes, text, modem, insurance. Sometimes I exceed the limit. Can't help it since it's also my office phone. My company car has bluetooth though so both hands on the wheel at all times unless I'm munching on a burger.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But do ya feel compelled to have someone "hold your hand," figuratively, while you shop for your food? Granted, my grocery store is in a university area, and most of those talkin' are college age. WTF?! Is there no "unlinking" from "friends-at-a-distance" in order to focus on business-at-hand, and to possibly experience a real, in-person, human encounter, like a smile?

  6. #6
    Master Surfer of Curbs glenng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    70%PIT 30% Blue Yonder
    My Bikes
    Whats it to ya?
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello V

    Between my day job and all the traveling I do and running my part-time tree care business I depend on my self phone to keep in touch and make the distance not seem so big when I`m away. But I hate talking on the phone and most of my conversations are less than 2 minutes. I must be one of the few people that lets it go to message and call them back at my convienience. My pet peve is people talking on phones in a resturant.

    I met my signifacant other at the YMCA , grocery stores never worked for me. + at the Y you know they are fitness minded, it weeds out at least half the potential smokers, and a Y will have less body builder tards, less egos than a regular gym. Maybe even less people on cell phones.

    GG
    Glenn

  7. #7
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,465
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like it when I shop and others are on their phones. People don't realize how loud they get or how much info they are giving over the phone within earshot of strangers. They are talking about their court dates, their sex lives, they argue with their significant others, they talk about what they did that day or how pissed they are at their family, etc. I get all the juicy details and gossip!

    Since they are not really paying attention to shopping they stop and take their time just to "get into" it.

    In public restrooms it's no different. I just couldn't flush while someone is on the other line. But they don't mind. No class at all, I tell ya.

    For the reason of privacy and that alone I won't really use mine when others are around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
    I like it when I shop and others are on their phones. People don't realize how loud they get or how much info they are giving over the phone within earshot of strangers. They are talking about their court dates, their sex lives, they argue with their significant others, they talk about what they did that day or how pissed they are at their family, etc. I get all the juicy details and gossip!

    Since they are not really paying attention to shopping they stop and take their time just to "get into" it.

    In public restrooms it's no different. I just couldn't flush while someone is on the other line. But they don't mind. No class at all, I tell ya.

    For the reason of privacy and that alone I won't really use mine when others are around.
    You are waaaay too kind. And sarcastic. I loves me my sistuh!

    gg, I'll take your suggestion to heart, if TT and roadraces don't shake that tree enough.

  9. #9
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the other day I threw my phone way over an embankment to the other side of a railroad track.

  10. #10
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,465
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    You are waaaay too kind. And sarcastic. I loves me my sistuh!

    gg, I'll take your suggestion to heart, if TT and roadraces don't shake that tree enough.

    I'm hella serious. And to make it worse, I'll pass by them, catch eye and smirk. Sometimes I even lean in right in front of them so they think I'm listening. Well.....I am. But I'm bad like that. Not that I really care about what they are saying but I want them to realize that they are really playing out their lives in public.

    One time this lady hung up and rolled her eyes over whatever situation she was handling and I looked over and said "what a shame, isn't it? You poor thing." I had no idea what just happened (since I only get half the story) but it's enough to slap them back into reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you did go and retrieve it. And, in a more rational moment, made sure it still worked. No?

  12. #12
    Master Surfer of Curbs glenng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    70%PIT 30% Blue Yonder
    My Bikes
    Whats it to ya?
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    :

    gg, I'll take your suggestion to heart, if TT and roadraces don't shake that tree enough.
    Hmmm.....that`l be like shooting fish in a barrel. Drop your water bottle a couple of times (not while riding) . Bet you won`t have to pick it once fer yourself.
    Glenn

  13. #13
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,465
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    the other day I threw my phone way over an embankment to the other side of a railroad track.

    So THAT's why you never answer the phone when I call.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
    I'm hella serious. And to make it worse, I'll pass by them, catch eye and smirk. Sometimes I even lean in right in front of them so they think I'm listening. Well.....I am. But I'm bad like that. Not that I really care about what they are saying but I want them to realize that they are really playing out their lives in public.

    One time this lady hung up and rolled her eyes over whatever situation she was handling and I looked over and said "what a shame, isn't it? You poor thing." I had no idea what just happened (since I only get half the story) but it's enough to slap them back into the reality.
    The new entertainment medium! I likes me that....

  15. #15
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    I assume you did go and retrieve it. And, in a more rational moment, made sure it still worked. No?
    It worked...it landed in a brushy spot...I still hate it.

  16. #16
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,465
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    The new entertainment medium! I likes me that....
    Try it!! What are they going to do? Tell you to mind your own business? If they do, all you have to say is "I WAS until you started yapping. I couldn't help but HEAR......." then walk off with a smirk on your face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

  17. #17
    My name is Mike, not Cal
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I listen to my ipod at the grocery store (and nearly everywhere else)...so I'm isolating myself from my immediate surroundings without the benefit of even talking to someone.

    But I do still smile at people, and say "excuse me" when I pass or walk in front of or between people.

    And I'm not much of a browser, either. Unless you're buying pasta, rice, oatmeal, or carrots, you probably won't see much of me.

    That reminds me...the carrots do provide me with some human interaction. Since I buy the 10 pound bags, the cashiers and baggers usually ask me if I'm gonna eat all of them myself, or if I have a rabbit, or make carrot juice. That usually makes my day.

    Despite my tirade on carrots, I agree with Vega. People often distract themselves during everyday/ho-hum activities, to the extent that they ignore others--this isolates themselves as well as the people they are around. Maybe I should leave the ipod at home next time?
    "I got my lips chewed off by a dingo!" --David Letterman

  18. #18
    Master Surfer of Curbs glenng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    70%PIT 30% Blue Yonder
    My Bikes
    Whats it to ya?
    Posts
    138
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dauphin
    It worked...it landed in a brushy spot...I still hate it.
    When you really hate your phone.....
    Glenn

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by glenng
    Hmmm.....that`l be like shooting fish in a barrel. Drop your water bottle a couple of times (not while riding) . Bet you won`t have to pick it once fer yourself.


    Yeah, dauph, I sometimes hate mine, too. Especially when I can see there's a lawyer on the other end.

    Siu, I have played that, back when things were different in my life, and it was quite fun for me, in the same way, believe me. I basically feel the same way as you. But sometimes, these days, I'm more in the mood for just an opportunitiy to meet the eyes of another human, and see a flash of friendliness. Sometimes, I feel so alone and isolated otherwise. Small steps I make back into the world, but I go for what I can get. I've essentially been in a cave for three years, and am only now venturing out again. And I literally thirst for human contact. Dig? <perhaps too-serious Vega look>

  20. #20
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,652
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen
    But do ya feel compelled to have someone "hold your hand," figuratively, while you shop for your food? Granted, my grocery store is in a university area, and most of those talkin' are college age. WTF?! Is there no "unlinking" from "friends-at-a-distance" in order to focus on business-at-hand, and to possibly experience a real, in-person, human encounter, like a smile?
    It's a toy, kind of like an internet forum.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  21. #21
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen


    Yeah, dauph, I sometimes hate mine, too. Especially when I can see there's a lawyer on the other end.

    Siu, I have played that, back when things were different in my life, and it was quite fun for me, in the same way, believe me. I basically feel the same way as you. But sometimes, these days, I'm more in the mood for just an opportunitiy to meet the eyes of another human, and see a flash of friendliness. Sometimes, I feel so alone and isolated otherwise. Small steps I make back into the world, but I go for what I can get. I've essentially been in a cave for three years, and am only now venturing out again. And I literally thirst for human contact. Dig? <perhaps too-serious Vega look>
    Since it's human contact you crave...I'd offer to give you my cell number....but I hate that thing...oh well...

  22. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CG05, let's just say, ya never know what you're missin', unless you're payin' attention. You might be missin' your soulmate....

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
    My Bikes
    '71 Raleigh Sports, '84 Schwinn LeTour on the trainer (and available for hill repeats), '06 Scott CR1 SL (Ksyrium SL), and a yet-to-be-determined TT bike.
    Posts
    1,643
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Difference is, 2manybikes, is that, when I go out into the world, I do what I can to experience that, and not my cyber-/cell- connections.... <concerned-for-this-generation Vega look>

    Dauph, you can give me your cell number, if you wish. I have a number of others, which I seldom call, Siu's excepted. But I don't mind having a number of Foo-friends on the fast-dial.

  24. #24
    Senior Member dauphin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,993
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just kidding...I understand your point

  25. #25
    Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10,465
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VegaVixen


    Yeah, dauph, I sometimes hate mine, too. Especially when I can see there's a lawyer on the other end.

    Siu, I have played that, back when things were different in my life, and it was quite fun for me, in the same way, believe me. I basically feel the same way as you. But sometimes, these days, I'm more in the mood for just an opportunitiy to meet the eyes of another human, and see a flash of friendliness. Sometimes, I feel so alone and isolated otherwise. Small steps I make back into the world, but I go for what I can get. I've essentially been in a cave for three years, and am only now venturing out again. And I literally thirst for human contact. Dig? <perhaps too-serious Vega look>

    You need to come to Cali.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •