Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-07, 12:16 PM   #1
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If a tree smells in the forest, does anyone hear it?

Well, do they?
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:19 PM   #2
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout
 
crtreedude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Costa Rica
Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem
Posts: 3,075
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
I am the local expert on trees so I will attempt to answer the question. Yes, you can hear a tree smelling - usually someone is alergic and starts to sneeze, and that you can hear.
crtreedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:20 PM   #3
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Why doesn't sound smell?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:22 PM   #4
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
Why doesn't sound smell?
Because the sound travels faster than the smell.

Remmber the speed of sound is about 3 times faster than the speed of smell.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:22 PM   #5
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
Because the sound travels faster than the smell.

Remmber the speed of sound is about 3 times faster than the speed of smell.
At standard conditions, yes. But what about at the bottom of the ocean?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:23 PM   #6
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
At standard conditions, yes. But what about at the bottom of the ocean?
There is no smell, because the bottom of the ocean is full of water.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:25 PM   #7
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
There is no smell, because the bottom of the ocean is full of water.
But what about where it's not?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:28 PM   #8
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
But what about where it's not?
Then the smell is the winner, because you can't have sound and smell coming from the same place.

It's all part of the Uncertainty Principle.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:29 PM   #9
Gus Riley
HomeBrew Master!
 
Gus Riley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: West Central Illinois
Bikes: Aegis Aro Svelte, Surly LHT, Cannondal R3000 tandem, Santana Triplet.
Posts: 2,208
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If my wife says something to me and I do not hear her because I am not in the same room with her, did she say anything?

I contend she did not.
Gus Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:30 PM   #10
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus Riley
If my wife says something to me and I do not hear her because I am not in the same room with her, did she say anything?

I contend she did not.
If you say something and your wife does not hear it, are you still wrong?
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:31 PM   #11
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr
If you say something and your wife does not hear it, are you still wrong?
Always.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:31 PM   #12
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
Then the smell is the winner, because you can't have sound and smell coming from the same place.

It's all part of the Uncertainty Principle.
But what if they're comming from separate, but identical sources at the bottom of the ocean where there isn't any water? What then, Professor Fancypants?
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:32 PM   #13
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by explody pup
But what if they're comming from separate, but identical sources at the bottom of the ocean where there isn't any water? What then, Professor Fancypants?
1/0 = Fail.

So, there.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:32 PM   #14
AJC
Member
 
AJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes: Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
could we hear from Hellen Keller on this?
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:33 PM   #15
Cromulent
I'm fine.
 
Cromulent's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milwaukee
Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy
Posts: 2,263
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC
could we hear from Hellen Keller on this?
Why? She couldn't.
Cromulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:34 PM   #16
AJC
Member
 
AJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes: Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
or so you THINK she couldn't
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:36 PM   #17
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That begs the question.

Could Hellen Keller smell?
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:36 PM   #18
explody pup
Guest
 
Bikes:
Posts: n/a
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
Could Hellen Keller smell?
I guess it depends on how often she bathed.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:36 PM   #19
AJC
Member
 
AJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes: Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
she could...but she couldn't describe it to you
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:42 PM   #20
Michigander
Senior Member
 
Michigander's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes: Giant ATX 1200, Schwinn Peleton
Posts: 1,724
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Yes they do, always.

The real question is, if a man says something in the woods, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?
__________________
Bring back the Sig Test!


(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:45 PM   #21
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigander
Yes they do, always.

The real question is, if a man says something in the woods, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?
See posts 10 and 11 for the definitive answer on this.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:45 PM   #22
AJC
Member
 
AJC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Massachusetts
Bikes: Bianchi Veloce
Posts: 40
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
why aren't there any women in the SMELL threads?

kinda makes you wanna go "hmmmmmmm?"
AJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:46 PM   #23
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJC
why aren't there any women in the SMELL threads?

kinda makes you wanna go "hmmmmmmm?"
Because women don't smell.
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:47 PM   #24
jsharr
You Know!? For Kids!
 
jsharr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
Bikes: '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
Posts: 6,157
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTugger
Because women don't smell.
You obviously date a higher class of women than I do. And by date, I mean pay. And by women, I mean hooker.
__________________
Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorider View Post
Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.
jsharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-07, 12:50 PM   #25
BananaTugger
CPM M4
Thread Starter
 
BananaTugger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
Bikes: Light.
Posts: 4,930
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr
You obviously date a higher class of women than I do. And by date, I mean pay. And by women, I mean hooker.
Hooker? No...

"Escort" is more like it.

Are there any police officers on this forum? >.<
__________________
Ten tenths.
BananaTugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 AM.