Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    explody pup
    Guest

    Hey you sexy computer people, I think I borked my computer...

    What does this mean:

    STOP: c0000218 {Registry File Failure**
    The registry cannot load the hive (file):
    \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE
    or its log or alternative.
    It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

    Beginning dump of physical memory
    Physical memory dump complete.
    Contact your system administrator or technical support for further assistance.
    This started lastnight. Turned on my computer and it shows up immediately after the Windows boot-up screen. Resetting my computer, it went to the option screen of Safe Mode, Last Good Configuration, or Normal Mode. Any option I chose goes to the above quoted blue screen.

    Is there anyone here who has seen this or can translate it for me?

    EDIT: Uhhhh, yeah. I figured I'd try google, too, and found this. Printint it out right now. I'll have to read it on the road (at work, right now). If anyone has anything to add that this might miss, then please do so. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Retro-nerd georgiaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Morningside - Atlanta
    My Bikes
    2002 Cannondale Badboy, 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    scan down a little ways

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822705
    Would you like a dream with that?

  3. #3
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    15,958
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Assuming this isn't a joke for April Fool, any ID9, 11 or 15 event logs? I had a similar failure a couple of years ago after I overclocked the cpu too high (Who'da thunk you couldn't overclock a PII chip 35%!) and fried it. I got this screen on boot just before I heard a sharp crack and the PII chip literally exploded! Before anyone flames me, I was playing with a salvage computer, seeing how high I could clock it before failure mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by explody pup
    What does this mean:



    This started lastnight. Turned on my computer and it shows up immediately after the Windows boot-up screen. Resetting my computer, it went to the option screen of Safe Mode, Last Good Configuration, or Normal Mode. Any option I chose goes to the above quoted blue screen.

    Is there anyone here who has seen this or can translate it for me?

    EDIT: Uhhhh, yeah. I figured I'd try google, too, and found this. Printint it out right now. I'll have to read it on the road (at work, right now). If anyone has anything to add that this might miss, then please do so. Thanks.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  4. #4
    Retro-nerd georgiaboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Morningside - Atlanta
    My Bikes
    2002 Cannondale Badboy, 2004 Bianchi Vigorelli
    Posts
    1,583
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Run the chkdsk command from the run tab feature selecting the full version 1 - 5 the complete check. You should do periodically anyway.
    Would you like a dream with that?

  5. #5
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chkdsk /p will fix the problem tho.

  6. #6
    Feral Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Roma, Italia
    My Bikes
    yes, I have one.
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
    Assuming this isn't a joke for April Fool, any ID9, 11 or 15 event logs? I had a similar failure a couple of years ago after I overclocked the cpu too high (Who'da thunk you couldn't overclock a PII chip 35%!) and fried it. I got this screen on boot just before I heard a sharp crack and the PII chip literally exploded! Before anyone flames me, I was playing with a salvage computer, seeing how high I could clock it before failure mode.
    cool!!
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

  7. #7
    Tail End Charlie Ritehsedad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Maine, The Way Life Should Be
    My Bikes
    Fuji Nevada MTB, Giant OCR1
    Posts
    545
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I have your bike?
    Why isn't 11 pronounced onety one?

  8. #8
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    can i have your toe collection?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  9. #9
    CPM M4 BananaTugger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    The West Side (Of Rochester, NY).
    My Bikes
    Light.
    Posts
    4,930
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sexy, huh?

    I don't know about that.

    Anyway, that sounds like a CPU problem.

    Like the time I overclocked my Intel Core 2 Duo e4300 Allendale from 1.8Ghz to 3.35Ghz on air.
    Ten tenths.

  10. #10
    On a mission from God svt4cam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In a squalor
    My Bikes
    6? Favorit (under construction), 82 Bianchi Nuovo Racer, 76 Alan, 8? Raleigh Fixie, 75 Atala, 94 Cannondale 2.8, 75 Paramount P13, 94 Cannondale RT1000 tandem, 76 Masi Gran Criterium, 81 Motobecane Grand Touring, 77 Mondia Super, 12 Specialized Crux
    Posts
    290
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  11. #11
    explody pup
    Guest
    Well, I got a little trigger happy and just did a fresh install. Computer works fine now and all my important files were backed up to an external drive. Well... except one. Seems I never backed up the text file I had my wireless network key written on (I'd lose a paper version... heh). This wouldn't be a problem, because when I did the install, I selected the option to back everything up to another folder. However, when I try to go to My Documents and Settings for the backup (where the text file is), it tells me the folder is not accessible. Is this normal? It doesn't even give me a chance to enter a password.

    And, of course, I can't access the router's configuration directly because I was sneaky and put a use name and password on there. Guess where that user name and password are written down...

  12. #12
    explody pup
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritehsedad
    Can I have your bike?
    No. But you can have jsharr's.

  13. #13
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    are they written on the lining of your colon?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  14. #14
    explody pup
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr
    are they written on the lining of your colon?
    No. That's where I keep all my important phone numbers. Keep guessing.

  15. #15
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    acid etched into your urethera?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  16. #16
    explody pup
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jsharr
    acid etched into your urethera?
    Nope. That's the PIN for my debit card.

  17. #17
    You Know!? For Kids! jsharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Just NW of Richardson Bike Mart
    My Bikes
    '05 Trek 1200 / '90 Trek 8000 / '? Falcon Europa
    Posts
    6,034
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    tattoed on your taint?
    Are you a registered member? Why not? Click here to register. It's free and only takes 27 seconds! Help out the forums, abide by our community guidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by colorider View Post
    Phobias are for irrational fears. Fear of junk ripping badgers is perfectly rational. Those things are nasty.

  18. #18
    Feral Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Roma, Italia
    My Bikes
    yes, I have one.
    Posts
    2,645
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "bork" LOL great word
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson View Post
    Did you just say "minarchist?" I'm going to start a 10-page vaginathon because only Libertarians can define Libertarianism. Also, you're mean.

  19. #19
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explody pup
    Well, I got a little trigger happy and just did a fresh install. Computer works fine now and all my important files were backed up to an external drive. Well... except one. Seems I never backed up the text file I had my wireless network key written on (I'd lose a paper version... heh). This wouldn't be a problem, because when I did the install, I selected the option to back everything up to another folder. However, when I try to go to My Documents and Settings for the backup (where the text file is), it tells me the folder is not accessible. Is this normal? It doesn't even give me a chance to enter a password.

    And, of course, I can't access the router's configuration directly because I was sneaky and put a use name and password on there. Guess where that user name and password are written down...
    Try right clicking on the folder - If you are on a fresh xp install you will have to go to windows explorer and tools -> folder options -> View Tab -> (scroll down to the bottom) and uncheck "use simple file sharing" and hit apply and then okay

    Then go bak and right click on the folder and click on properties -> Security tab
    Click advanced and click on the "Owner" tab . Select your username (assuming you are an admin and try to retake ownership of it)
    Okay your way oout of there.

    If you're on vista the instructions are basically the same - it's just filled with 20 or 30 allow/deny dialogs
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  20. #20
    explody pup
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasGuy
    Try right clicking on the folder - If you are on a fresh xp install you will have to go to windows explorer and tools -> folder options -> View Tab -> (scroll down to the bottom) and uncheck "use simple file sharing" and hit apply and then okay

    Then go bak and right click on the folder and click on properties -> Security tab
    Click advanced and click on the "Owner" tab . Select your username (assuming you are an admin and try to retake ownership of it)
    Okay your way oout of there.

    If you're on vista the instructions are basically the same - it's just filled with 20 or 30 allow/deny dialogs
    Groovy. I'll do thing when I get home. Thanks, TG.

  21. #21
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It sounded like a hard disk problem to me. The machine was trying to load a file and could not. Possibly because there is physical damage to your hard drive. How old is the drive? Did you reinstall Windows on the same drive? You may want to consider a new one.

  22. #22
    explody pup
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jfmckenna
    It sounded like a hard disk problem to me. The machine was trying to load a file and could not. Possibly because there is physical damage to your hard drive. How old is the drive? Did you reinstall Windows on the same drive? You may want to consider a new one.
    It's a laptop I bought in mid 2004 and I haven't changed out the drive. So far, the reinstall hasn't given me any problems.

    If the drive is damaged, would Windows try to reinstall over the bad sectors or does it block them?

  23. #23
    Tiocfáidh ár Lá jfmckenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    The edge of b#
    My Bikes
    A whole bunch-a bikes.
    Posts
    5,385
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I believe it would ignore bad sectors and you may be fine. On a reformat the OS will map bad sectors so it knows about it in the future. But do realize you may be operating on a bad drive so back up often. If you run scandisk it may tell you that you have bad sectors(it's been a while so I don't really remember) And I think you may even be able to repair bad sectors. In reality probably a lot of drives out there are operating with bad sectors but keep an eye on it.

  24. #24
    That darn Yankee TexasGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    West West Fort Worth
    My Bikes
    Mongoose XR-100, Eros Bianchi
    Posts
    4,272
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by explody pup
    It's a laptop I bought in mid 2004 and I haven't changed out the drive. So far, the reinstall hasn't given me any problems.

    If the drive is damaged, would Windows try to reinstall over the bad sectors or does it block them?
    Usually if your hard drive is borked, the windows installation takes forever and a day and then some and often times won't complete. It would never hurt to use caution, however - always backing up stuff properly and occassionally running the chkdsk and disk defragment once a month to ensure something doesn't happen
    Life is about hanging onto what you think is important and finding out what really is important.
    "Stop Ruining my joke!", "No, a joke implies humor attached at no additional cost"
    So many sayings, so little sig space.

  25. #25
    explody pup
    Guest
    Hmmmm... since I'm working with a fresh install, anyway, might as well just get a new hard drive. I'm still planning on upgrading the ram, too. Photo editing on 512MB is a bit tedious.

    Assuming I can find a compatable hard drive, would there be much of a performance gain if I went to a 7200 rpm drive (current is 5400)? All my large files for editing are already on an external (8MB cache, 7200 rpm).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •