Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-08, 12:55 PM   #2576
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
isn't it hilly where you are?
It's hilly in the Bay Area, but around Sacramento is pretty much flat. It's my commuter bike, so I really don't need to take into account much in the way of climbing.

I did ride the other bike in downtown San Francisco once, though. It was... challenging, and my legs ached for a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
I'd go with a 63GI or thereabouts if I still rode fixed/SS....but then, I'm an arthritic old man
I think that's about the gearing it came with. It'd be a good gear for single-speed cruising, but it'd get a bit spinny riding fast-ish while fixed.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 01:54 PM   #2577
BlastRadius
Direct Hit Not Required
 
BlastRadius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Bruno, CA
Bikes: Leopard DC1, Ridley X-Fire, GT Zaskar 9r
Posts: 6,190
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The original gearing was likely meant for going off-road, you know, it being a single-speed cyclocross bike and all.
BlastRadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 02:23 PM   #2578
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastRadius View Post
The original gearing was likely meant for going off-road, you know, it being a single-speed cyclocross bike and all.
Yep. It came with a 16t freewheel in the box along with the installed 16t cog. I'm going to hold onto the freewheel so I can throw it on if I ever find myself taking it offroad. Plus, just going between 14t and 16t, I shouldn't have to futz with the chain.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 01:21 AM   #2579
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...





Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 06:03 AM   #2580
pgoat
BatŁwŁ Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Those are nice 65r!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 09:07 AM   #2581
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
Those are nice 65r!
Thanks...

We had a class in tyre studding last night and really had some good weather to put things to the test and then we had to stop by the local bistro for hot chai.

I decided to rock a rear studded tyre his winter (I usually only run a front) and dropped the gearing on my bike a wee bit to make spinning the snow a little easier.

Let winter come.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 08:50 PM   #2582
EthanYQX
Why not?
 
EthanYQX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Canada
Bikes: Giant STP 2
Posts: 845
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
None here yet Sixty.
EthanYQX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:30 PM   #2583
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not really a completed bike, but here's my next project. It's a Litespeed Pisgah found in a dumpster at the 24 Hours of Moab, broken at the downtube and now repaired by Ron Andrews of King Cage fame.





I'm not sure why, but it seems to lend itself to a white component theme.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:40 PM   #2584
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
I'm not sure why, but it seems to lend itself to a white component theme.
[words of encouragement]
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:44 PM   #2585
UnsafeAlpine
Domestic Domestique
 
UnsafeAlpine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Brand New Old Catamount! Schwinn Homegrown, Specialized FSR, Salsa Vaya, Salsa Chile Con Crosso
Posts: 1,742
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
Not really a completed bike, but here's my next project. It's a Litespeed Pisgah found in a dumpster at the 24 Hours of Moab, broken at the downtube and now repaired by Ron Andrews of King Cage fame.
I'm not sure why, but it seems to lend itself to a white component theme.
Amazing find! I can't find an unused hanky in the trash, let alone a titanium frame....
UnsafeAlpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:48 PM   #2586
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best I can claim is finding a brand new $250 Denon CD changer at Goodwill for $20. Not that I'm complaining, but it's not made of titanium.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:51 PM   #2587
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsafeAlpine View Post
Amazing find! I can't find an unused hanky in the trash, let alone a titanium frame....
Want me to send you an unused hanky?

You may need it if I take pics of the ti water bottle cage he gave me.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-08, 11:56 PM   #2588
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
So if I'm looking at that correctly, it cracked (mostly) cleanly an inch or so from the headtube? WTF?
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 12:10 AM   #2589
pgoat
BatŁwŁ Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
So if I'm looking at that correctly, it cracked (mostly) cleanly an inch or so from the headtube? WTF?
I thought that was the most common place frames crack, no?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 12:25 AM   #2590
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
I thought that was the most common place frames crack, no?
Right at the headtube I could see, but a distance away from it seems a bit weird.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 12:27 AM   #2591
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
So if I'm looking at that correctly, it cracked (mostly) cleanly an inch or so from the headtube? WTF?
Yeah, I was trying to figure it out too.

About 1" further down the downtube from the crack is a decent ding. My theory is that the breakage involved a fork snapping on Nose Dive. Considering that Litespeed offers a lifetime warranty, it blew my mind that someone would just throw it away. Perhaps they were so frustrated at the breakage and the resulting loss for their team that they threw it out in anger...after stripping off all the parts.

I'm glad personally that the break wasn't all the way through the tube. That little strip kept the frame in alignment and made welding easier (so I assume). The Pisgah has an integrated headset design, but fortunately for me it wasn't entirely integrated, as in part of the frame. Ron popped the stainless insert out of the frame to prevent deforming it from heat. When I received the frame, I reinstalled the cup with a headset press and a little green loctite.

Thanks for the encouragement on the white parts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 12:40 AM   #2592
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
Yeah, I was trying to figure it out too.

About 1" further down the downtube from the crack is a decent ding. My theory is that the breakage involved a fork snapping on Nose Dive. Considering that Litespeed offers a lifetime warranty, it blew my mind that someone would just throw it away. Perhaps they were so frustrated at the breakage and the resulting loss for their team that they threw it out in anger...after stripping off all the parts.
Ouch. Breaking a fork right there would lead to an unpleasant freefall.

Is it an unconditional lifetime warranty? Because if there's a clause about abuse, I think it'd be fair to say that Moab falls under such a category. Even if that's the case, if I had a several thousand dollar frame, I'd do some due diligence before I binned the thing. Cripes.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 01:12 AM   #2593
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by x136 View Post
Ouch. Breaking a fork right there would lead to an unpleasant freefall.

Is it an unconditional lifetime warranty? Because if there's a clause about abuse, I think it'd be fair to say that Moab falls under such a category. Even if that's the case, if I had a several thousand dollar frame, I'd do some due diligence before I binned the thing. Cripes.
What is Not Covered

This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, or normal maintenance items, or any damage, failure, or loss caused by accident, misuse, abuse, neglect, improper assembly, improper maintenance, or use of parts or devices not consistent with the original intent for the product sold, or failure to follow instruction for installation, assembly, or use.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 01:24 AM   #2594
x136 
phony collective progress
 
x136's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Hoosey
Bikes: http://velospace.org/user/36663
Posts: 2,981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heh, there you go. Probably called Litespeed on the spot, muttered "****." under his breath, and started ripping parts off.
__________________
x136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 09:15 PM   #2595
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This next one was a quickie, but a long time coming.

A couple years ago a customer dumped this partially complete bike off at the shop. Broken fork, missing bars, weeds grown through the wheels...pretty much a mess. The nice part was the frame was in decent condition and relatively small at 17". I had in mind to build a bike for my daughter in Albuquerque...then it sat for years.

Since we're going to visit her just before Christmas, I lit a fire under my own butt to get it done. The project was made out of everything I could salvage from three bikes. The donor fork was seized and too long. I cleaned and rebuilt it, then threaded the steerer and cut it to length. The original BB spindle was bent so I swapped an entire crankset and BB from another donor. The front derailleur came along with it. The only new parts were a chain, cables, bars, seatpost, tires, slime tubes and the rack. Oh, and the saddle was something a customer 'gifted' us with.

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 09:29 PM   #2596
pgoat
BatŁwŁ Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
That's sweet WB! She's gonna love it!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 09:38 PM   #2597
Wordbiker
Pwnerer
 
Wordbiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pagosa Springs, CO, USA
Bikes: Road, MTB, Cruiser, Chopper, BMX
Posts: 2,907
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgoat View Post
That's sweet WB! She's gonna love it!
I hope so!

It's set up for pavement comfort and ease of riding. I'm thinking of renaming it The Softrock.

The Gushinator?

She had a WalMart bike before, but it was stolen. I tried to keep this from looking too nice and being a target for thieves. A lock will be included on delivery.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahsposo View Post
Ski, bike and wish I was gay.
Wordbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 09:55 PM   #2598
pgoat
BatŁwŁ Griekgriek
 
pgoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC - for the moment...
Bikes: 1985 Trek 500, 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2002 Orbea Team Euskaltel, 2005 Cannondale R1000
Posts: 2,899
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i think you made it look pretty nice - tell her to lock it up well!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharr View Post
People whose sig line does not include a jsharr quote annoy me.
pgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 10:35 PM   #2599
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordbiker View Post
This next one was a quickie, but a long time coming.

A couple years ago a customer dumped this partially complete bike off at the shop. Broken fork, missing bars, weeds grown through the wheels...pretty much a mess. The nice part was the frame was in decent condition and relatively small at 17". I had in mind to build a bike for my daughter in Albuquerque...then it sat for years.

Since we're going to visit her just before Christmas, I lit a fire under my own butt to get it done. The project was made out of everything I could salvage from three bikes. The donor fork was seized and too long. I cleaned and rebuilt it, then threaded the steerer and cut it to length. The original BB spindle was bent so I swapped an entire crankset and BB from another donor. The front derailleur came along with it. The only new parts were a chain, cables, bars, seatpost, tires, slime tubes and the rack. Oh, and the saddle was something a customer 'gifted' us with.

Tell me... is there anything better than building up a bike for someone you love ?

That is a sweet looking ride.
Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-08, 10:43 PM   #2600
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!
 
Sixty Fiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: YEG
Bikes: See my sig...
Posts: 27,262
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I got up this morning and checked the weather and it said "FREEZING RAIN WARNING!"

People were having trouble walking and the roads were a freaking mess but winter is my personal biatch.

Studded tyres...check.





New lower gear...check.




Better pic of the ass kicking ice bike... check.

Sixty Fiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:16 AM.